Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Also, a huge percentage of drug tests(no matter who/why/where is testing) end up busting people who smoke weed occasionally, since weed is fat soluble and hangs around way longer than coke/opiates/amphetamines.

I’m opposed to drug testing in general(unless it’s DOT or other critical safety occupations) , but I’m really opposed to loving with people for previous weed use. And I don’t even use cannabis, it makes me paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I do drug tests for safety sensitive jobs and on the ones I’ve done weed has the second-lowest positive rate (behind only PCP, which I have never had a confirmed positive for). It may be a demographic thing (traveling construction workers), but I saw positives for cocaine, amphetamines, and opioids at way higher rates. Well, the highest was on alcohol, I’m 99 percent sure, but that’s all on paper so I can’t really search it.

No poo poo, that surprises me - the two jobs I held that brought me into contact with pre-employment drug tests showed an overwhelming bias toward weed positives, almost 2 to one over all other drugs(on a standard 5-panel test). This was for mechanics, so, like you said, it might be partially demographic.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Beachcomber posted:

Husband needs to adapt, but I do feel a little sympathy for him. I am a loud talker, and I get louder when I'm excited about something. My wife absolutely hates it, but I have no idea how I could retrain myself to speak more softly.

:same:

I’m a mechanic and have spent 30+ years yelling across noisy shops at co-workers, so it’s difficult to shift gears, so to speak.

I’ve gotten good enough to recognize the expression on my GF’s face that says ‘Jesus Christ, you’re loud’ and turn down the volume without having to be told. Most of the time :D

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I can’t imagine actually debating the ‘house vs. my son walking again’ conundrum more than about ten seconds, and it would take me about ten more seconds of my fiancée whining about it to kick her straight to the loving curb.

I ‘d live in a cardboard box if it meant my kid could walk by it on the street.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Dude should be glad for his bro. The few years I spend doing dope with my big-tittied goth GF were, by far, the most fun I ever had in my life.

The aftermath was a bit rough, but gently caress, you can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Jeep-gift-dude is a goddamn grade-a idiot. His girlfriend told him what kind of car she likes, he didn’t have to guess. Honda Fits are reasonably cheap, have an amazing amount of interior space, extremely reliable are relatively fun to drive and get great gas mileage.

Jeep’s, OTOH(and I have much experience with them) get crappy mileage, aren’t particularly reliable, can be a PITA to get in and out of, depending on a person’s stature(and any lift/tire combo) and aren’t particularly fun to drive on paved roads at all. They aren’t easy to load, and unless it’s got a full hardtop, are terribly insecure.

He wanted a loving Jeep, and rather than buying one for himself, foisted the loving thing off on his GF as a gift. We chuckle at the ‘gifts are a form of aggression’ saying, but ‘gifts are a way of buying what I want and pretending I’m generous’ is a real thing.

\/\/\/ that, too \/\/\/

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 11, 2021

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

haveblue posted:

vvvvvvv Also kids are supposed to develop aversions to stuff that makes them puke, does he even want mac and cheese any more?

I think so - I got some kind of flu when I was a kid and puked after eating pizza(which was/is my all-time favorite food) and couldn’t eat it for a couple years. And that was only upchucking once.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, it didn’t work out real well in the book. Sorry, Church, no RIP for you.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

There’s a ‘got stairs in your house?’ joke here, but I’m not witty enough to figure it out.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

That’s awesome, if I had to drive one of those, I’d want that paint job. A work buddy of mine has a beat-up Smart car he commutes in, and he installed a giant wind-up-looking key sticking out of the hatch. I chuckle every time I see it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Daktar posted:

Yeah, at least for the Pfizer they must be using the finest needles imaginable. I've had some shots that felt like wasp stings before but I didn't even feel a tickle with this one.

:same:

And I’m a fuckin’ wimp when it comes to shots. Mine was the Moderna.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Grandma ended up calling her husband Dad because that's what she was used to saying for her children's benefit.

My grandmother did the same thing with my grandfather. He was deaf as a post, though, doubt he ever heard her.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

DorkusMalorkus posted:

r/relationships:”broken tuba full of wet ham" is a pretty amazing turn of phrase too

I literally giggled for 20 minutes over that, until my GF came in and asked me what was so funny. I could barely spit out the phrase between laughs, and now she’s laughing in the other room.

I ♥️ SA.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Agrikk posted:

This.

As a dog dispiser I don’t understand the entitlement that some dog owners feel towards their pets. No, I don’t give a poo poo that your dog is friendly. No I don’t give a poo poo that your dog’s nose jammed in my crotch is a momentary thing as your dog gets to know me. Yes, I am irritated by your dog barking. Yes I am uneasy and tense when there are dogs around.

Landlord or not, it is not an unreasonable request to ask you to remove your dog while I’m doing a thing. Take it for a walk or go take it for a drive or whatever.

That said, I suspect there is a long history of bad blood between the two camps and we’ve moved past the “reasonable accommodations” phase by either side.

I love dogs, own dogs, and I agree with you.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

SA is probably the biggest collection of former gifted child fuckups (:wave:) on the internet

Another :same:

Also, another ‘I was skipped a grade and would fight to the death to keep my child from being skipped’. I was a tall kid too, so it wasn’t a size thing, but the social and athletic progress I missed made my life fairly lovely for a few years until HS.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

RoboRodent posted:

Like, I taught myself to read around age three, to the extent that I have zero memory of not being able to read, but I don't think that I am, at this point in my life, more literate than average. I just hit that milestone sooner than most kids.

Exactly my experience. And when you’re a little kid in school, and everything you’re taught is in books, being able to read faster/easier/at a higher level is a monumental advantage. Then everybody catches up to you, and ……:eng99:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

erosion posted:

this is what I used to think too, and probably the prevailing view

... and this is the way I'm leaning now, still have yet to get tested but it tracks. BTW being in "talented and gifted" really doesn't help you socially, let's just say I identified with JD in the movie Heathers.

Seriously, I definitely could see a ‘some from column A and some from column B’ thing.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

wizardofloneliness posted:

That dad is incredibly lame for getting so wound up over this. "I'm not going to be disrespected in my own home!", give me a break dude. I don't get how someone in his situation doesn't see that they're giving the other person the exact reaction they want. Just laugh it off and move on or pretend you can't hear him unless he calls you dad. Why would you choose to escalate something this minor? It's pretty obvious why the mom does not have this issue.

This, exactly. My son never did that when he was going through the teenage rebellion years, but if he had, no biggie. The worst thing you can do is to let the kid know it bugs you.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Mx. posted:

AITA for pissing off my HOA by making an ugly fence to stop a creeper?

Although I can’t see an HOA being able to dictate poo poo to a non-HOA home, I would think there are city and/or county regulations which might apply. For example, my city allows six-foot fences around the back and sides of a house, and you can put another 18” piece of lattice or other partially-opaque material on top of that. The county’s rules are very similar.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Agrikk posted:

Do you think I should throw away my plutonium collection?

No, but I’d stop keeping it under my pillow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, it's... Libertarian Wi-Fi? Like "hey random Long-Fi router I can see, here's the packet I want to send, here's X amount of cryptocurrency to send it."

Yeah, I was wondering why his house being on a hill had anything to do with the profitability of mining crypto.