Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Motronic posted:

Your post shrimped my youngman.

Someone post shrimpy youngman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Mushmouth posted:

He keeps asking me to come home because he doesn't know how to feed himself without me. Goddamn he got pulled over with a .41 and let go from work with a .37.

Please, PLEASE sever from this manchild.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Seik posted:

Are you joking? For one, you definitely deserve to know the sexuality of the person you're dating

I do not think this term means what you think it means

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Sorry, I'm a few pages back but I'm pretty upset about people just accepting that hermit crabs are "starter pets"
They need both fresh and salt water sources, as well as enough substrate to bury themselves in while they molt. This means a large terrarium with about a foot if not more of loose sandy soil in the bottom.
I'm really tired of people acting like hermit crabs are "easy" pets when they really need a lot of attention and care to thrive.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for telling my husband to stop making pancakes for breakfast for the kids?

From the "side piece thinks they're the entree" file.

I thought we weren't posting overt abuse stories?

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Apologies, I am about 16 pages behind so I've only done a quick scan. This story was requested by Beachcomber and Invisble Clergy. Hopefully I can catch up on the thread soon and post new stories.

My (32F) wife (30F) of 4 years is "over-teaching" our kids (2 and 4M). EVERYTHING is either a learning experience or an opportunity to learn a "skill". I feel like I'm living in a children's workbook and I can't anymore.

This mom owns, actually. Her kids will probably be way ahead of the curve when they start school, and the way that she's teaching them stuff is very age appropriate. Also wtf does he mean they aren't having fun, all that sounds like they had loads of fun and they weren't complaining!

E: gently caress, never mind i just read the update :( at least they're being proactive about it

number 1 snake fan fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 13, 2020

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Palate cleanser

https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/1305284198815739912?s=19

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

threelemmings posted:

Y'all are missing the important part of the crazy: they think they can literally feel other peoples emotions, like if you are sad their bones ache or their stomach feels queasy.

That feeling definitely exists but it's usually untreated PTSD. Ask me how i know!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Beachcomber posted:

I always get stressed/anxious when my wife does, even(or especially) when she's just sitting on the couch playing on her phone or otherwise nonverbal. I think I must pick up on tiny nonverbal cues without noticing it. Probably a lot of people are like that, it's just amplified by how prone to anxiety I am already.

Yeah anxiety definitely doesn't help. For me it was growing up with an (actual) narcissist mother who expected me to be able to tell what she was feeling at all times without telling me. I still have a hard time not projecting what i think my partner is feeling onto them because of how much it hosed me up

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

Such a dumb detail for the writer to get tripped up on since everything else sounds plausible enough. The credulous shitheads on reddit of course can't count so no one mentions it in the comments.

AITA for asking my father to stop giving me unsolicited career advice?

Oh hey look, it's everyone's dad!

Uhhhhhhh, no? A lot of dads aren't like that.

Sagebrush posted:

you aren't in med school at 20 years old lol

They could be in premed

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

idk if i'd go so far as to call this person an rear end in a top hat, cause they aren't wrong, but man they sound exhausting. "i complain about every movie we see on principle and also i have short term memory problems and can't remember what i did 5 minutes ago" woof

Memory problems are a real thing?? Also cinema really does have a problem when it comes to diverse casting.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Biplane posted:

I had a crazy neighbor who mowed his lawn every day from april until winter set in. I never understood why.

Probably hates his family and doesn't want to be in the house with them

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

Aita for not DNA testing my unborn baby at my husbands request, even though I tested our other two kids?

So after the first time, neither of you started using any birth control, and you continued having unprotected sex well past the entry point into geriatric pregnancy. OP and her husband are both assholes and morons.

This isn't a geriatric pregnancy, wtf

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for being mad at my sister for processing grief "differently" than me?

Yeah, OP feels a lot of empathy, unless someone has an emotional reaction different from hers :jerkbag:

Dude, what the gently caress is your (invisible clergy) problem???

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Legin Noslen posted:

Maybe the sister could get a real loving source of income, one that doesn't involve scamming people online?

It is real work, sorry that you're mad you can't do it

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not supporting my husband's attempts to make our daughter wear plain clothing?

I'm might be wrong but the over diagnosing of middle and high schoolers as having ODD really seems like pathologizing the ways that these kids just generally are at these ages. Puberty sucks and they're trying to have any kind of control they can over what feels like a train wreck of hormones and parental oversight.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Dewgy posted:

Eh, it sounds more like someone who has serious anxiety problems and he made them worse by trying to insist she change her mind right that second, at the door.

For someone with a genuine mental issue like that, someone pushing your boundaries and getting mad at you over it is dangerous, you’re not going to be able to balance that out through a series of random good deeds. Maybe not physically dangerous but you can all but guarantee her day got hosed up by that too.

She definitely wasn’t being totally rational but to take it that personally is a sign you need to take a deep breath and calm down.

Honestly she sounds to me like a sexual assault survivor who knows that the relationship has a big power imbalance and is worried that once he gets in her house he's gonna tell her that she "owes him" sexual favors. Speaking from personal experience from that kind of thing happening to me numerous times when i was homeless.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And there's always the possibility that she is one of vast number of women who has been attacked by a man she knew which is what triggered her anxiety in the first place.

EDIT: Googling confirms that. 8 out of ten women who are sexually assaulted were attacked by a man they knew.

Yeah, this is what i was thinking

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Kenshin posted:

Given that they have known each other for years, if this is the reason for her reaction, her reaction is fine, but then so is his.

He is under no obligation to continue help someone who is happy to accept his help but also afraid he is going to sexually assault her. They are clearly not friends. His wife can help her, if she wants.

Where did i say that he's obligated to keep helping her? You also left out the second quote in my post which was about how 80% of women are assaulted by people that they know.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Kenshin posted:

I didn't purposefully leave that out (there was other stuff you were quoting I removed), but it doesn't change the point. Dude thought they were friends. He was mistaken. She cleared that up.

Women are sexually assaulted by friends a lot, your not helping your case.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Thanks Teen Witch!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Good gently caress that's incredibly racist

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for telling my bf he’s a jerk for bringing up my phobia?

Again, dude, this is literally abuse and it's pretty hosed up that you don't recognize that. Stop it.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for not wanting candles burning in the house all day?

Again, literally abuse. Why can't you figure this out, IC?

Mr. Lobe posted:

How do you get married to someone who is so attached to something that causes you physical pain? You'd think that would come up before vows were exchanged. Did she think she could talk him out of his 3600$ candle budget or did he just stop humoring her requests after a certain point?

She says it was a sudden thing

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for building a decent relationship with a woman and her daughter whom I have only married for the green card?

That's a obvious troll

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Nah, the mod is right and the post was fatphobic and ableist.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Motronic posted:

No, vocal fry is a choice/learned behavior. I find it incredibly unprofessional (it seems I only run into people at work who do this thankfully. Might be a bay area thing). It sounds like someone putting on a accent for show, but not very good one.

It's not a choice and also finding it "unprofessional" is pretty misogynistic and geared against young women: https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2015/september/lisa-davidson-on-vocal-fry.html

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

Endless screaming

Boyfriend (55M) doesn’t want to get married to me (34M) after 15 years of living together. Should I reconsider the relationship?

Why do y'all not understand not posting abuse bullshit in the thread. It's not funny or interesting, cut it out. Jesus.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Topic unlocked

Lmao so this person is fine but i get probed for telling people not to post abuse stories in the thread bc of "backseat modding" cool cool cool

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Can someone please get a hold on all the emotional abuse stories? They're not entertaining.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Motherfucker posted:

Listen dawg, if I can forget you loving exist as part of a dnd game. You suck. gently caress you. Its an endless mystery why that type of person shows up to games but I'm pretty sure its something to do with being on the spectrum.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Motherfucker posted:

I'm not amazed, I've had a few of these people and they're the worst loving people. Like, at the table-top I kinda get it, most of what dnd is about is hanging out with a group of your nerdy adult friends and finding an excuse to converse that dosn't revolve around work for a couple of hours. I could almost forgive being incapable of following the mechanics that even a well trained monkey could and fumbling with them like a stammering imbecile every time you're forced to engage if you just wanna chat or whatever. I mean, that sucks and you're a brainlet but its whatever

But I've had them in online games too... Like, I get it, you don't have an internal monologue or any thoughts of your own and you're trying to capture the feeling by listening to mine as I pretend to be an elf, but... like, if you're too busy spinning a matchbox car's wheels and rocking back and forth to notice the entire session going quiet as you're being given a pity callout to remind everyone else you exist than maybe don't waste people you purport to be friends with time with your vacuous person.

loving YIKES bro

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My(27F) best friend (28F) won't stop name dropping. It's driving me insane.

You sound like a crab bucket come to life

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

GORDON posted:

That isn't far from the mark.

Sometimes she brings a friend home for dinner! :-D

Nobody cares about your sex habits dude, be less pathetic and attention seeking. I know you're divorced and getting back into the game but you bring this stuff up so much that it's weird.

number 1 snake fan fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 11, 2020

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Motherfucker posted:

Anyone who breeds in gross rear end litters should be put down.

YIKES

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

ArbitraryC posted:

drat how can you like not just wake up to an alarm, turn it off, and get out of bed.
I've seen these people post on reddit plenty of times but even despite having a good amount of roommmates in college never encountered one in the wild, I knew a few that were perpetual snoozers but they'd wake up each time, they'd just shut it off and go back to sleep only to have another one they set go off 15 minutes later.

The kid is on heart pills, cut him a loving break. Also the fact that you've seen it posted so much means that it's a real issue for a lot of people. Just because you haven't "encountered it in the wild" doesn't mean it's not a real issue. Jfc

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Cowslips Warren posted:

As much as I hate the parents who despise tats and piercings, I have to say, those loving bull-ring nose rings always make me crack up, because all i can think is they have to be a furry and their chosen animal is a bull or cow.

Seems like a super weird thing to intuit just from a piercing my dude, why is your mind immediately going there, of all places? Also the "you look like a cow!!" sentiment about septum rings is pure, concentrated boomerism

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's an extremely controversial pediatric diagnosis at best, particularly for prepubescents, this isn't some fringe thing. and diagnosing a developing mind is in fact an ethical issue, children display all sorts of "symptoms" or "traits" of what would be considered serious mental illness in adults at various stages of completely normal development - lack of empathy, mood swings, attention deficits, you name it. a good example most millennials are probably familiar with is what's now considered the overdiagnosis of pediatric ADHD in the 80s and 90s

obviously that child needs treatment, and appears to not be receiving adequate care already. someone earlier mentioned that this kid resembled what they saw in in-patient care, which yeah why isn't this kid receiving that after smashing up the house and car. they might even have a mood disorder that persists into adulthood, which such pediatric care and therapy would do a lot of good for

but dr google claims that children as young as 5 have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and frankly that is bananas

I'm reading "The Body Keeps The Score" and the (extremely educated doctor/practitioner) author makes a really good case that a lot of mental health diagnoses (ESPECIALLY in children) are actually due to childhood trauma and treating the trauma through intensive therapy like EMDR does way more for the patient than slapping a diagnosis on it and treating it with medication. He says the medication is basically a band aid that covers up the wound but doesn't heal it, only therapy can really fix it.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Horse girls: not even once

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

GORDON posted:

I am squarely Gen-X. Every time I saw a bull on a Bugs Bunny cartoon, it had a ring in it's nose. When I see a person in real life who has a bull ring in their nose, I think of a bull with a ring in its nose. It isn't a stretch.

You also have incurable boomer brain from what I've seen you post

Midnight Voyager posted:

I looked up EMDR and I am immediately and wildly skeptical of the science of "thinking about bad things and wiggling my eyes and it works and we have no real idea why, invented by a lady who keeps ramping up how much the courses cost and how long they are".

I mean there's shitloads of clinical evidence that shows its efficacy but go off i guess

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It’s actually like using berzerker, there’s only like 100 ppl in the world who would actually take offense or be put on the spot about it.

I really hope you're being sarcastic

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

https://div12.org/treatment/eye-movement-desensitization-and-reprocessing-for-post-traumatic-stress-disorder/
The efficacy of EMDR for PTSD is an extremely controversial subject among researchers, as the available evidence can be interpreted in several ways. On one hand, studies have shown that EMDR produces greater reduction in PTSD symptoms compared to control groups receiving no treatment. On the other hand, the existing methodologically sound research comparing EMDR to exposure therapy without eye movements has found no difference in outcomes. Thus, it appears that while EMDR is effective, the mechanism of change may be exposure – and the eye movements may be an unnecessary addition.

EMDR doesn't only use eye movements, the therapy i did was using bulbs in each hand that vibrated alternately, with the same effect. There are several other ways to apply the therapy as well, including headphones with a tone sounding in one side and than the other.
If you want to argue about the efficacy of this lifesaving treatment them you're gonna have to take it up with Bessel Van Der Kolk, M.D. who has been using it for a long time with incredible results.

number 1 snake fan fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 20, 2020

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

the katt willaims 'white people, beat yo kids' joke but hes talking about anime teens instead of tantrum throwing toddlers

Dude.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

13Pandora13 posted:

This is from r/Relationship_Advice and uhhhhh :stare:

(spoilering because while OP doesn't consider this to be a major crossing of boundaries it absolutely is :stonk: )

My husband nursed on me while I slept.

:murder: :wtc: "shame and embarrass" is the absolute minimum you should do to this guy, lady, holy poo poo.

Where's the post about the guy who won't have sex with his wife anymore bc he prefers being cradled by her while nursing and jerking off

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Bruceski posted:

Personally I read a lot as a kid and enjoyed the feeling of discovery when I learned a new word, so I got a collection. Main difference between me and that guy is that I'm self-aware enough to know that "I enjoy it" isn't the same as "I should inflict it on folks who don't," and I also prioritize being understood so I'm only going to go for a big word in actual communication if I feel it's more accurate and the distinction is important.

Yeah, i read A LOT as a kid and i developed quite a vocabulary (my mom is also an English teacher) but i only use "big words" when I'm trying to be incredibly specific, and i never judge people for not knowing what i mean bc that's on me for not being clear. This dude is just a turbo rear end in a top hat. Also it's clear he's single and the women who respond "well" to his comments are just doing basic femme-conditioned politeness to this strange man

Kenshin posted:

Yeah we've seen a number of stories of kids with clearly abusive parents that remove the locks or even entire doors from their bedrooms.

Yeah, my mom did this to me

Is also like to add that his door got confiscated when he was seven years old and he only got it back "a couple years ago" when he's writing at age seventeen which means he had no door for half his life and he's still not allowed a doorknob for something that happened ten years ago

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (22F) am planning to hike the Appalachian Trail and my boyfriend (22M) cannot stand it.

Ehhhhhhhhhh, there have been some rape/murders on the Appalachian trail, i can see why he would be upset about her doing it alone. He's also not communicating why he's upset, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

betaraywil posted:

Yeah, part of what makes Reddit awful is how it attracts people who have a lot of anger and resentment and offers them socially acceptable targets for those feelings. The lack of meaningful interaction and community-building frees people up to lose their poo poo on strangers based on really fuzzy, overlapping, often contradictory senses of propriety.

Lmao at an SA poster saying this unironically about another website

Motronic posted:

My girlfriend has been upset since we had a threesome with another girl. I don't know how to make it up to her.

"I'm having a great time with this 9/10 girl, my girlfriend wasn't having as good of time I don't think."
Obviously gf knows that op thought the girl was way hotter than her, poor thing :(