Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Adding Sandwich Man to the thread hall of fame which includes

Pete
Timothy
Six Flags girl
The stripper hand job
Eagle Man

I'm putting Fight Man in his own wing because it's clearly a shitpost account but he deserves recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Gather round, I have descended from the Mountain of Posts and bring with me the Divine Lessons of R/Relationships

If you propose or accept a threesome you are inviting the meddling of Threesome Satan, who will turn at least one person into an emotional wreck afterward.

Opening a relationship will always end in tears. Corollary: if someone asks to open a previously closed relationship, they're already cheating.

No romantic partner is worth dealing with unwashed junk.

If everyone is telling you the age gap in your relationship is weird, it is.

If your partner's family is racist/sexist/otherwise bigoted and they're fine with this, put on your Pete Pants.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 14, 2020

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

pentyne posted:

Great way to burn a relationship down, starting bringing in your parents to weigh in on topcis of sexual activity and get opinions on sexual habits your partner tells you.

Pretty sure this problem will solve itself as no her bf assumes anything sexual he tells her she'll have no problem openly telling her parents in casual conversation.

"Hey lets ask my parents about last night, Mom & Dad what do you think of my BF saying he wants me to call him daddy during sex? What? You said it right no point in acting like you didn't I'm just getting an outside opinion"

In Europe this is very normal.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

teen witch posted:

Gurglespurt jeans
Tee with the stain (WITH THE STAIN)
got the whole club
Filling a complaint

No

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Fish $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Here's a classic situation we can all relate to.

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1218246804896198656?s=19

Among the many other problems here: she was engaged several years ago. She is currently 23.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Does anyone have the story from the guy who spent literally all day every day "working on his car" while blasting music and thought this was fine because he stayed precisely within quiet hours at his apartment complex?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

My wife donated her wedding dress afterward because gently caress keeping a giant bulky thing in tiny New York closets forever.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

weddings really seem to bring out the worst in a lot of people

It's meant to be a once in a lifetime thing. It's expensive. It's emotional. A lot of work goes into it. And multiple families are involved. It's a perfect drama stew.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I recall Barista Crush causing some kind of meltdown in the last thread.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What's with all these people having sex by accident

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Problem Sleuth posted:

This got an interesting update:

Wow, good for the former groom, and way to dodge a bullet.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Just a warning for people new to the thread, expectations for diners and servers is a volatile topic here that can explode at any moment.

Never forget the great check splitting debate of 2019, livened up by the gimmick poster who declared anyone who eats in a restaurant Literally Hitler.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Which gimmick poster was that/do you have any quotes? That sounds incredible.

It was carry on then and all the quotes are buried in the giant former thread if anyone wants to search.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Is spaghetti a noodle, the greatest thread in forums history locked after 1000 pages of heated debate

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

FormaldehydeSon posted:

it's a matter of cuisine, yes spaghetti is noodles just like ravioli is a dumpling, but a noodle prepared Italian style is different than a noodle (yes even the literal long thin tubes of pasta) prepared Asian style so the etymology reflects that. If you offer someone "noodles" then they won't be expecting spaghetti with marinara sauce. All this and more can be learned by having basic conversations with other human beings hth.

This distinction doesn't exist in all forms of English!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Lasagna contains noodles. It is not really a noodle dish though.

Noodle noodle noodle.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I am genuinely curious about the origin of a phobia of all animals.

THE FACE OF TERROR

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I have never had someone come to my door to sell me cable. Plenty of junk mail but no visits. There's no way this can be a profitable sales tactic for Spectrum. What in tarnation?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Cats are predators who skilfully hunt and devour their prey.

Dogs are big dumb walking rugs.

Which pet is really more manly hmmmmm?

I don't actually believe this, all pets are great.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What is with these people telling raunchy stories at a family event where grandma is probably there? I feel like this has come up more than once.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Kobe Bryant died and it’s ruining my relationship.

Me and my gf have been dating for two years and are so good together. Mid to late 20s for us. We communicate through our issues, don’t let feelings linger, and living together has been nearly flawless.

However last month Kobe died. I was a huge fan. It has saddened me in ways I didn’t think were possible. It’s been on my mind all the time. I’ve cried more than I’ve ever cried. My gf was supportive at times, and after a while I felt was impatient with my grieving process. However now it has nearly destroyed our relationship.

According to her, and I’d have to agree, I’ve become detached from our relationship. I’m not there for her emotionally and she says I have been consumed by this death. I have tried to explain to her that for someone who was never really close to his dad, this was like a father figure dying out of no where.

I’m having a crisis of life right now. Everything seems minuscule in comparison. I feel like I’m not doing life as hard as I should, not doing as much as I can to make life count. Any moment it could all end like it did for an idol and that has me shook. I understand that it’s affected my relationship in a way that I never saw coming.

How can we get through this? My gf says that I have distanced from her and she needs a connection from me otherwise we are just roommates. She says I’d rather spend my time on my phone looking at any Kobe story I can find. It’s probably true. I’ve tried to tell her that she isn’t the issue, that my love for her hasn’t changed. But that I just am having trouble feeling anything at all. If I try to put in the more effort for our relationship that she desperately wants, she says it isn’t genuine and that she doesn’t want me to force loving her. That it should be natural and on my own accord.

I just don’t know how to get out of this rut. I’m passed the stage of grieving all day, but there’s this lingering feeling of “drat any problem we have isn’t that big a deal bc we might just die tomorrow” and it’s really affecting my mood and the way I’ve been treating my gf.

Recently she said if I need time to grieve maybe I should do it alone because it’s caused so much distance between us that it is making our relationship suffer even more. So we are taking time apart while she focuses on school. I am staying at my parents house for now trying to figure out just how to fix this.

Is it just going to take time for me to get out of this? Is there something specific I need to do or say to her to convince her I still love her and that once I’m out of this rut I’m willing to do everything and anything she’s asking for? I even got so paranoid that she was being distant and cold that I went through her phone for the first time. I don’t know what’s gotten into me and I hope that I haven’t ruined everything.

TLDR: Kobe’s death has caused distance in my relationship with my gf and I don’t know what to do about it

:therapy:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

When I got married had assumed my wife would keep her name, but it turned out she had no attachment to it at all and was eager to take mine.

Still looks weird when I see the names together.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

coronatae posted:

NPR just aired a piece on the concept of "fairness" and opened with a brief history/explanation of the AITA subreddit. They even mentioned party sub guy

How did they get around not being able to say rear end in a top hat?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Sunswipe posted:

Maybe I'm empathising with the man too much, but he's asking what this means and she's replying "I'm bisexual." Which, ok, great, but not actually an answer to what that means for their relationship. Does she want to start loving other people? Does she need to rethink their relationship? Does she just want to talk about what people they both find hot? It's on her to share what she's thinking. Maybe he could have tried to move the conversation on with his own suggestions, but I can't blame someone for being a little unsure how to react when their spouse just announces their bisexuality with no warning.

There's no magic word but it doesn't take an empath to infer that it's probably a big deal for her to say this.

Beep boop how is relationship formed.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Yet again one person arguing with the entire thread is convinced they're the only reasonable one.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Sorry to just post the tweet but I'm on mobile and the World's Dumbest Man must be seen.

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1232367481290973185?s=19

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

In the comments he's certain that he can get through this without his wife getting too mad. This man is about to die.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

GORDON posted:

I have a dollar that says the baby isn't his.

She said it was the only sex she'd had in five years.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

In Europe an underwear photo shoot as part of a wedding is very normal.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Xenocides posted:

On a lark I went to look at how expensive weddings relate to divorce rates and was unsurprised that the more you spent on the ring and the wedding the less likely the marriage is to last. Also, the more people you invite to the wedding the more likely it is to last. So big cheap weddings are best I guess.

Solution: potluck wedding

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Going to request in advance that we not have the usual derail where people compete to say how little they spent on their wedding.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Let me tell you, doing a semester abroad in South India as a left handed person was a real challenge.

I had to eat with one arm behind my back.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Three hours every weekday during peak gym time does seem excessive.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

LadyPictureShow posted:

Here you go, boo.

UPDATE: My friends are mad at me because I don't want to watch the Oscars with them.
Original post: /r/relationship_advice/comments/aq2sqx/my_friends_are_mad_at_me_because_i_dont_want_to/

Is this fight man's cousin

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for uninviting my transgender sibling from my wedding?

Didn't this exact story cause a massive flame war in the last thread?

Also, Serpent, I'm begging you to please put the body of these stories in quote tags so we can quote just the title easily.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I don't know why I remember this, but there was a female poster on these very forums who had a maternity-leave related meltdown.

"Why should I have to work harder because she decided to get knocked up???"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What's the cultural background of the last name "Knigga?"

Anyway have a racist dipshit:

AITA for not adapting to my girlfriends culture?

quote:

Throwaway because I'm active on another subreddit.

I (26M) am dating a lovely (22F) Chinese woman (I am a white man for reference). We get along just fine and the only problem is that we disagree on her culture. Let me explain.

Now okay. I'm just not that much into Asian culture personally. I don't like it when she cooks her native food, listens to her Chinese music or speaks in Mandarin. I don't want to completely disconnect her from her roots but I just don't like Chinese culture, I'm sorry. If she wants to "be Chinese" I tell her to go to her friends house.

This has made her pretty upset with me. She accuses me of not accepting who she is culturally and that I'm trying to Americanize her. I'm not! Your culture is just not for me, I'm sorry. I have no problem with who she is but I just don't want to be a part of it. I'm American, and I want my life to be American. Not Chinese. She moved here so she should be the one adapting to me, not the other way around.

She gets so upset whenever I want to do something American. It gets so annoying sometimes when I want to go out for a burger or something traditionally American and she complains that she will have nothing to eat there (Which isn't true, she will eat some American foods, albeit shes picky). And wants to cook me something instead, her claiming that its healthier and cheaper. I don't care! I don't want you to cook for me.

Last night was when it got particularly bad. She was on a video call with her parents who do not speak English and live in China and wanted me to say hi in Mandarin so her parents would feel more...comforted by me? I'm not sure. They don't live in a rural town so I'm sure they would know "Hi" right? So I refused and simply closed the door so I didn't have to hear them talk in Mandarin. When she got off the phone she was really upset with me and has been at her friends house ever since.

So, AITA for not adapting to my girlfriends culture?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for playing a drinking game with my girlfriend's mom?

I had dinner last night with my girlfriend's family. Afterwards, we were all drinking, and her mom wanted to play a silly card game called "truth or drink". It it, you draw cards, ask each other questions, and you have to either answer or take a shot.

I didn't really want to play, but they did, so whatever. The game does get a little raunchy, with questions like "when did you lose your virginity."

​It's my girlfriend's sister's turn to ask me a question. She draws a card and the question is "what's your favorite sexual position and why". I answer the question and say it's missionary because it's easier to choke my SO in missionary than other positions.

​Well, that caused a fight and now apparently I'm an rear end in a top hat according to my girlfriend's mom

​So reddit, IATA?

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What in tarnation