Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
This is a movie that must have come out in the late 80s or early 90s, it had that big early Nickleodeon Memphis design school energy. Similar to meet the feebles or coneheads, kind of a manic positive vibe that bordered on some deep horrors.
- It was about a family that lived in some kind of large underground complex, brightly decorated with colors and weird shapes. "You Can't Do That On Television" set design style.
- The movie was released under two names, the US one was "meet the <family name>" or "introducing the <family name>" and the other was something like, "Down in the Void" or "Under the Void." I think it was australian/new zealish, because it won an award for makeup effects down there.
- There's one scene where the wife lures a tentacle out of a hole in the wall, which is sliced off by the sharp door. This tentacle is then cooked and eaten. I am 10% convinced this scene, in gif form, was posted to Imgur recently.
- The characters reference some kind of void or darkness (like in the title) which they are afraid of. I think it's used as some kind of punishment, because later some of the characters are forced to travel into it.

It's deeply weird. An ex, who used to date an intern at Troma films, showed it to me. She, the wikipedia page, and that imgur gif are the only times i've ever seen it referenced at all. I checked a list of Troma films and I didn't recognize any of the titles, which suggests to me that they didn't release it stateside. I think it's better remembered in Australia.

edit- meet the hollowheads

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

About 10-15 years ago, someone in either the genchat thread or the horror thread here in CineD posted a series of short faux documentary films supposedly from 1900-1980 about various supernatural or sci-fi events. They were all on youtube and very similar to Peter Delpeut’s The Forbidden Quest in being stitched together from what seemed to be archival footage. Each one was from a different period and used different film and camera techniques consistent with the period the story was from. They were short, probably 10-20 minutes. The ones I remember had the following plots:

—a man in the 1920s visits Mexico to document a witch who gets angry at him and chases him.

—a 1950s/1960s person documents people walking out of the ocean and trying to infiltrate America. I think this one ends with the person falling in love with a woman who emerges from the ocean this way and following her back underwater knowing that he will die.

—a 1970s British documentary about a village of Soviet soldiers who can’t live around other people because they all have junky cybernetic enhancements that malfunction, like a super-strong robot arm that smashes things unintentionally, or robot legs that go at super-fast speed all the time. I remember this one being more lighthearted than the others.

—a 1960s man who goes on a vision quest with a shaman in Mexico. The man films the shaman jumping upside down and vanishing. The voice actor playing the man narrating his footage and sharing his reflections years later sounded just like Harlan Ellison.

—a 1900s-era silent film of an arctic or antarctic voyage that encounters something generating bright light that it fist avoids but eventually decides to sail toward.

—a late 70s/early 80s West German man who is kidnapped and replaced for a week or a month or something by a man who can reassemble his face and body to look like anyone. I remember this one cut between footage of the imposter with the man’s family and footage that the imposter took of the man while he was held captive by the imposter.

They were very well done and memorably creepy and sublime. I don’t remember if they were produced for youtube or if they were from the 90s or 2000s and later uploaded. I wish I could remember more. Does anyone recognize this series?

Some of these sound like Forbidden Files/Documents Interdits.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Some of these sound like Forbidden Files/Documents Interdits.

This is definitely them. Thank you! I can only find a few clips, but they are definitely the series I was thinking of. The only one I can't find is the one about the German man replaced by a duplicate, which may have been a special episode or a dvd exclusive or something.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This is definitely them. Thank you! I can only find a few clips, but they are definitely the series I was thinking of. The only one I can't find is the one about the German man replaced by a duplicate, which may have been a special episode or a dvd exclusive or something.

Maybe the (German) word doppelgänger might help in your search?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

They rule. Your memory is a bit off on some of them so they’ll even still have some surprises for you

The last one you’re looking for is The Examination, it’s not technically part of Documents Interdit but it’s directed by the same guy. Or at least it didn’t air with the others and isn’t usually included with them

Edit: it looks like Jean Teddy-Phillipe has them all up for rent on his Vimeo account. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/theforbiddenfiles/

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 11, 2021

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

oldpainless posted:

A knife is thrown at a guy who stops it with some type of power and casually bats it aside.

Romancing the Stone and/or the acorn at the end of Willow

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This is a movie that must have come out in the late 80s or early 90s, it had that big early Nickleodeon Memphis design school energy. Similar to meet the feebles or coneheads, kind of a manic positive vibe that bordered on some deep horrors.
- It was about a family that lived in some kind of large underground complex, brightly decorated with colors and weird shapes. "You Can't Do That On Television" set design style.
- The movie was released under two names, the US one was "meet the <family name>" or "introducing the <family name>" and the other was something like, "Down in the Void" or "Under the Void." I think it was australian/new zealish, because it won an award for makeup effects down there.
- There's one scene where the wife lures a tentacle out of a hole in the wall, which is sliced off by the sharp door. This tentacle is then cooked and eaten. I am 10% convinced this scene, in gif form, was posted to Imgur recently.
- The characters reference some kind of void or darkness (like in the title) which they are afraid of. I think it's used as some kind of punishment, because later some of the characters are forced to travel into it.

It's deeply weird. An ex, who used to date an intern at Troma films, showed it to me. She, the wikipedia page, and that imgur gif are the only times i've ever seen it referenced at all. I checked a list of Troma films and I didn't recognize any of the titles, which suggests to me that they didn't release it stateside. I think it's better remembered in Australia.

edit- meet the hollowheads

I found it and watched it on youtube tonight. that was certainly an experience.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A film possibly from the '70s but set in 1800s France or Germany. A child was born and had no interaction with his parents or the outside world and lives as an outcast in some kind of hut. Possibly a film version of Kaspar Hauser. Sorry there's no details I was really young when I saw the first ten or so minutes.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

A film possibly from the '70s but set in 1800s France or Germany. A child was born and had no interaction with his parents or the outside world and lives as an outcast in some kind of hut. Possibly a film version of Kaspar Hauser. Sorry there's no details I was really young when I saw the first ten or so minutes.

How about Every Man For Himself And God Against All aka The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser aka The Mystery Of Kaspar Hauser. 1974, directed by Werner Herzog.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The Enigma of Kasper Hauser? 1974, directed by the one and only Werner Herzog

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

rodbeard posted:

I found it and watched it on youtube tonight. that was certainly an experience.

Same. Love the Terrorvision vibe from it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah it's got that weird body horror but toned down for kids aspect

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Whats the movie where a buncha dwarves travel through time some kid goes to bed and wakes up to a knight charging him

horse demons at the end?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

That's Time Bandits.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

deety posted:

That's Time Bandits.

Thank you!!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

verbal enema posted:

Whats the movie where a buncha dwarves travel through time some kid goes to bed and wakes up to a knight charging him

horse demons at the end?

beaten, but I just have to post the awesome ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_70MdRm5I

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zopotantor posted:

beaten, but I just have to post the awesome ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_70MdRm5I

When I first saw this movie on HBO in the early 80s I loved the ending song. Had no idea who the Beatles were or anything, just knew that final song ripped.

"All the dreams you've ever had...and not just the nice ones..." is a great tagline for a movie, too.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

deety posted:

That's Time Bandits.

One of the greatest

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've never seen this one, but I've meant to - though if memory serves, it's not very available, and I heard about it via a special showing at a theater that was in another state or country or something that I couldn't go to. I may be combining elements from several of the same filmmaker's movies, I think the showing was a double feature? I just need a push in the right direction.

It was some kind of semi-surrealist film from the UK (?) in the early 80s (?) which, I think, was a series of interviews of people living in the aftermath of some vaguely-described traumatic event and the strange things that occurred thereafter.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

hexwren posted:

I've never seen this one, but I've meant to - though if memory serves, it's not very available, and I heard about it via a special showing at a theater that was in another state or country or something that I couldn't go to. I may be combining elements from several of the same filmmaker's movies, I think the showing was a double feature? I just need a push in the right direction.

It was some kind of semi-surrealist film from the UK (?) in the early 80s (?) which, I think, was a series of interviews of people living in the aftermath of some vaguely-described traumatic event and the strange things that occurred thereafter.

Sounds like Peter Greenaway's "The Falls".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hexwren posted:

I have no idea, but this reminds me that I'd love to see Chuck Palahniuk's "Rant" made into a movie.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Origami Dali posted:

Sounds like Peter Greenaway's "The Falls".

It’s almost certainly this.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's definitely The Falls, thanks

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A long time ago, I caught a few snippets of a Hammer-ish gothic horror film from the 60s or 70s. I mainly remember two blond siblings, boy and girl, who may or may not have been murderous and/or satanic. I'm not sure if they were children or young adults. The setting was an English country manor or similar. I seem to recall a stone bird bath in the garden. Maybe a murder with bow and arrow?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hannibal Rex posted:

A long time ago, I caught a few snippets of a Hammer-ish gothic horror film from the 60s or 70s. I mainly remember two blond siblings, boy and girl, who may or may not have been murderous and/or satanic. I'm not sure if they were children or young adults. The setting was an English country manor or similar. I seem to recall a stone bird bath in the garden. Maybe a murder with bow and arrow?

Sounds like one of the many Turn of the Screw adaptations. Maybe The Innocents? Was it black and white?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds like one of the many Turn of the Screw adaptations. Maybe The Innocents? Was it black and white?

It might have been black and white. But from the trailer of The Innocents, that's not it. The pair was definitely older, at least late teens, and they were definitely both blond. Maybe Turn of the Screw was an inspiration, but I was getting more occultist vibes, less ghost story. I do think the man/boy was an archer. Maybe he shot a bird at some point?

Hmm, is there a bow and arrow used in the original Midwich Cuckoos? I've only seen the Carpenter remake.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Maybe The Nightcomers from 1971? It's a Turn of the Screw prequel (with Marlon Brando!) and there's bow and arrow murder. Even though it's a prequel to Turn of the Screw, they made the kids older because of sexy stuff.

EDIT: Watch it here https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37rns4

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 16, 2021

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I did some more googling and found it. There are a couple of children in in too, which maybe explains my uncertainty about the age, but the pair I was thinking of turned out to be Sharon Tate and David Hemmings. I'm looking forward to watching it now, if this scene is an example.

https://youtu.be/5r1bdhr6qRo

Eye of the Devil, with David Niven, Deborah Kerr and Donald Pleasance.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That Brando movie sounds nuts. A prequel to Turn of the Screw made in the vein of Last Tango in Paris, from the director of Death Wish.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Origami Dali posted:

That Brando movie sounds nuts. A prequel to Turn of the Screw made in the vein of Last Tango in Paris, from the director of Death Wish.

If you want a good laugh: in the scene where Brando is in bed with Stephanie Beacham, he wore Y-fronts and wellies to make sure Winner didn't try filming anything Brando didn't want to be seen.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I thought it was return to oz but it's something else from that era. I'm pretty sure it's a kids fantasy movie where one of the characters is a frog man. Live action. That's about all I can remember.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I thought it was return to oz but it's something else from that era. I'm pretty sure it's a kids fantasy movie where one of the characters is a frog man. Live action. That's about all I can remember.

The ones off the top of my head are Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, and The Neverending Story.

I'm most familiar with the last one, and I'm trying to remember a frog man. Closest I can think of is when Deep Roy was riding a huge snail that had a goofy face.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Freaked had a frogman, and it’s kinda like a kids movie.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Forbidden Zone has a frogman but is definitely not for kids.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I guess Hell Comes To Frogtown is out of the question?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok I got another one, old movie I think black and white. The opening scene is a man in an upstairs office and he’s on a rolling / swivel chair. He’s like really good at office work and he’s spinning himself around and pushing himself across the room slamming cabinets and filing lots of files and just being really efficient at his job. I think he might be smoking too idk. It would have taken a lot of practice to pull the scene off. Does that ring a bell for anyone

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so this is, I think, twice, where I've come to this thread to remember a particular flick and then remembered it (or remembered the major googlable facts) partway through writing a post about it.

for my peace of mind so I don't do it a third time: Nevada Smith

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok I got another one, old movie I think black and white. The opening scene is a man in an upstairs office and he’s on a rolling / swivel chair. He’s like really good at office work and he’s spinning himself around and pushing himself across the room slamming cabinets and filing lots of files and just being really efficient at his job. I think he might be smoking too idk. It would have taken a lot of practice to pull the scene off. Does that ring a bell for anyone
Not immediately but was it like, early 20th century/1920s silent movie black and white? The star going through this well-rehearsed routine in one unbroken shot?

Kinda sounds like something Buster Keaton might have done but it was probably just the style of the time and I'm pulling the first name that comes to mind. There probably were a lot of people doing routines like that at the time. Plus Keaton would have gone out one window with the chair and back in another and I feel like you would have mentioned

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The ones off the top of my head are Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, and The Neverending Story.

I'm most familiar with the last one, and I'm trying to remember a frog man. Closest I can think of is when Deep Roy was riding a huge snail that had a goofy face.

ruddiger posted:

Freaked had a frogman, and it’s kinda like a kids movie.

Raspberry Bang posted:

Forbidden Zone has a frogman but is definitely not for kids.

Sir Nose posted:

I guess Hell Comes To Frogtown is out of the question?

I've seen those and it's none of them. Definitely looked 70s or 80s fantasy for kids. Sorry I can't remember too much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Could it have been TV? There was lots of obscure TV fantasy for kids, and a frog man seems more fairy tale than fantasy. Fairy Tale Theatre had a frog prince episode so that might be it.