Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dorohedoro is a manga that Q Hayashida made from the year 2000 to the year 2018 (that's a longass time what the gently caress). it's really good but i'm bad at writing so i'm just gonna copy and paste the synopsis from My Anime List

quote:

Hole—a dark, decrepit, and disorderly district where the strong prey on the weak and death is an ordinary occurrence—is all but befitting of the name given to it. A realm separated from law and ethics, it is a testing ground to the magic users who dominate it. As a race occupying the highest rungs of their society, the magic users think of the denizens of Hole as no more than insects. Murdered, mutilated, and made experiments without a second thought, the powerless Hole dwellers litter the halls of Hole's hospital on a daily basis.

Possessing free access to and from the cesspool, and with little challenge to their authority, the magic users appear indomitable to most—aside for a few. Kaiman, more reptile than man, is one such individual. He hunts them on a heedless quest for answers with only a trusted pair of bayonets and his immunity to magic. Cursed by his appearance and tormented by nightmares, magic users are his only clue to restoring his life to normal. With his biggest obstacle being his stomach, his female companion Nikaidou, who runs the restaurant Hungry Bug, is his greatest ally.

Set in a gritty world of hellish design, Dorohedoro manages a healthy blend of comedy and lightheartedness with death and carnage. Taking plenty of twists and turns while following the lives of Hole's residents, it weaves a unique world of unearthly origin and dreary appearance not for the squeamish or easily disturbed.

Dorohedoro is an incredible blend of, uh, every genre imaginable, with a masterful ability to create and maintain dozens of bizarre and fascinating mysteries. if anything about this story seems unusual, man, this story loving goes places. i'm not sure there's any other work in existence with half the twists and turns that dorohedoro has, and if there is i'm sure it doesn't have characters that are anywhere near as fun. seriously, the characters are great, of dorohedoro's (eventual) loving massive cast i can only think of like, one recurring character that i don't absolutely adore.

this is the best manga i've ever read. it's the only manga i've been able to muster up the ability to read start to finish. here's some of the characters!

this is Kaiman, the main character. he's built like a truck with a lizard head. spends a lot of his time shoving magic users Sorcerers' heads down his massive gullet, which has an angry dude inside of it that tells people cool things like "you're not the one." running theory is this is related to the lizard head thing, so Kaiman shoves a lot of people in there to try to get answers. more than that though, kaiman spends most of his time being a hungry idiot. also i should probably mention that he's immune to magic

this is Nikaido, owner and sole employee of the eatery known as The Hungry Bug, and also kaiman's best (only?) friend. her gyoza is almost as legendary as her ability to beat the poo poo out of people. she is solely responsible for helping kaiman hunt down sorcerers, as well as feeding him more free meals than he probably deserves

this is En, the mob boss/effectively king of the sorcerors. this dude is far and away the most powerful sorcerer in existence, and his magical power is "mushrooms." want to kill kaiman because it's inconvenient to not have a safe place where his underlings can practice their magic.

this is Fujita, a low level dude who works for En. Kaiman killed his partner and he's out for revenge, but unfortunately for fujita he's not good at basically anything. please be nice to fujita he deserves better

these two are Shin and Noi, En's "cleaners." they're really loving good at killing people and maybe like each other. Shin has a theme of hitting people with a hammer really good, and also clearly has something going on with hearts. Noi has a theme of being loving amazing.

this is Ebisu, a 13 year old sorcerer with magic related to lizards. she's the only lead anyone has on anything related to kaiman.

this is the guy in kaiman's mouth. he probably isn't important and is just some dude

new episodes of dorohedoro come out every sunday i believe, though the show is in netflix jail so getting subs isn't easy or 100% legal. when netflix releases the show please watch it at that time to support the official release (seriously the staff has said that the possibility of a season 2 is reliant on this season doing well so at least run through it in the background or something on release day)

don't loving spoil this show there's a manga thread with nothing better to talk about than the anime, and the mysteries of this show are half the fun. you can find the manga thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869340

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

anyways let's get the important thing out of the way

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Haven't watched it yet, but just wanted to say I love the OP so much.

I want the full song now.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

To quote myself:

Grouchio posted:

*breathes in*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*breathes in*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(Please change the thread icon if you can)

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 14, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh poo poo I forgot about that

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fixed the thread tag.

Also, while we know that during its airing period it might most likely fall under :filez: territory to discuss this for most of us, just like with Kakegurui and other shows that aired week to week (even in Netflix Japan!), the fact remains that Netflix straight up refuses to loving air it while it runs in a bunch of other regions because "gently caress you, that's why", so as long as you don't post any download links in the thread, discussion of the show is cool.

I know there are a buncha reasons. I worked there a little over a year, after all; most of them are a loving non-issue for a company the size of Netflix, though.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Haven't watched it yet, but just wanted to say I love the OP so much.

I want the full song now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEw0uNCuUzM

Well you're in luck

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

know_name is a good anime music group that needs to be involved with more animes tbh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hell yes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

should i add a spoiler policy or anything to the op? i'd really rather there be absolutely no spoilers since the incredible mysteries are such a big part of what makes dorohedoro good, and since it's a finished manga the manga thread doesn't really have anything better to talk about anyways.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This show is epic.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The models looked kindof stiff but the backgrounds were very good and it retains the energy of the manga. A lot better than I was expecting from a Doro adaptation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

should i add a spoiler policy or anything to the op? i'd really rather there be absolutely no spoilers since the incredible mysteries are such a big part of what makes dorohedoro good, and since it's a finished manga the manga thread doesn't really have anything better to talk about anyways.
Spoiler policy remains: You bust in this thread yelling about future manga spoilers, that's a probe. Yes, you can put it in the OP. I adore this manga but I understand that there are going to be newcomers who haven't touched it, so it'll be a kick in the crotch to get spoiled for 'em.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:catstare:

Was that her face.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Yes.

How many eps we gettin'?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Was that her face.

well it isn't anymore

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Yes.

How many eps we gettin'?

12, with possibly more seasons to follow if the show performs well

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

This show is epic.
If you advertise this show enough (like with Devilman Crybaby), the producers might well get enough support from fans to make more seasons. Make us proud.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Very much looking towards peoples reactions to the complete insanity that is Dorohedoro.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Waffleman_ posted:

Was that her face.

:hai:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Very much looking towards peoples reactions to the complete insanity that is Dorohedoro.

Same here. Also it feels nice to be able following better with whats happening. I love the mangas chaotic art, but it was a little too rough for me in the beginning.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Everyone should give Dai Dark a quick read, it’s Hayashida Qs. Next manga and it’s only got 8 chapters so far. It’s not related to dorohedoro at all so no worries about spoilers and it’s really good so far.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
That sequence with the main character and his bestie loving up some random girl and accidentally tearing her face off when someone else tried to pull her away was...quite something. I'm sure it's gonna get darker, but I'm ready for more.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What we learned today:

1. Dorohedoro is a rad manga.
2. Dorohedoro is now a rad anime.
3. If enough people watch Dorohedoro on Netflix, it might get a second easy.

That is Dorohedoro.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

dorohedoro is better for me animated than as a manga. but in either form it's awesome

loved the first episode. it's been a long time since I read the beginning of the manga

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that everyone is built like a brick wall except wizard dingus.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Q Hayashida has a type and is completely unapologetic about it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like that the female cast has a bunch of big muscles too

Hayashida just loves her some muscles

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hell, same

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So far pretty good. Weird how drastically better the movement and background detail are than resting lizardface.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nikaidos CG is kinda jarring, even when it works (and very jarring when it doesn't ), but outside of that the first episode rocks. :rock:

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I just want to say I read Dorohedoro before it was cool and all you weebs are late to the party get fkin owned lmao

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

I just want to say I read Dorohedoro before it was cool and all you weebs are late to the party get fkin owned lmao
:same:

Except I'm not an dickbag about it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

at what point was dorohedoro not cool?

edit: btw, is okuyasu doing the voice of caiman? it sounds like him

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yep Wataru Takagi.

I like how some elements are easier to follow like the dismembered hand firing off a magic blast to create that door.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Waffleman_ posted:

Please don't bully Fujita, he really is trying his best.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will bully Fujita all I wish.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Saw the first ep, it's okay. The style it's going for doesn't quite make up for bad/obvious cgi.

For a bunch of jerk rear end wizards they seem to care enough as a group to cover for each other, which is weird because I'm used to beginning-of-season bad guys all being arrogant and selfish until the good guy beats some of them up and then they all run away.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

at what point was dorohedoro not cool?

edit: btw, is okuyasu doing the voice of caiman? it sounds like him

Mulderman posted:

Yep Wataru Takagi.
I like the work of a lot of VA's, but I have to admit that sometimes, if it wasn't for the fact that I know my way around the Japanese language and saw the credits, a lot of performances would just blur in my head. So even if they get typecast into a lot of the samey roles, I enjoy when I hear a voice and I go "Hey, that's the guy/girl!" and I immediately associate them with a character I'm fond of. And while there's a lot of VA's nowadays that I can easily recognize after having watched a ton of anime, there's maybe like 4 or 5 guys I can recognize right away, and whenever I hear that raspy, slightly goofy affect you can recognize on Wataru Takagi's voice, I immediately go :dance: "Hey, it's Kojima/Onizuka/Okuyasu!"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone is rather blase about murder in dorohedoro, but in general the deal with sorcerers is less "they're a bunch of unrepentant assholes" and more "they're relatively normal dudes, except they straight up don't view humans as real people so much as particularly large bugs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I like the work of a lot of VA's, but I have to admit that sometimes, if it wasn't for the fact that I know my way around the Japanese language and saw the credits, a lot of performances would just blur in my head. So even if they get typecast into a lot of the samey roles, I enjoy when I hear a voice and I go "Hey, that's the guy/girl!" and I immediately associate them with a character I'm fond of. And while there's a lot of VA's nowadays that I can easily recognize after having watched a ton of anime, there's maybe like 4 or 5 guys I can recognize right away, and whenever I hear that raspy, slightly goofy affect you can recognize on Wataru Takagi's voice, I immediately go :dance: "Hey, it's Kojima/Onizuka/Okuyasu!"
I've watched a bunch of Detective Conan and the name makes me double take every time