Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's easily the best new show this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Furnaceface posted:

Hard to make a show popular when youre limiting which countries version of Netflix it shows up on.

:mad:

:canada:

i don't think it's that Canada isn't getting it, it's just Netflix waits for the whole run to be done and throws it all on at once.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i finally bit the bullet and started watching this sketchy-subbed, and

the bit in the OP where nikaido's just going loving ham on the pork bits and then it shows her making a :haw: face needs to be an av like, yesterday

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Yeah, this show's weird and dark as hell yet also extremely happy and goofy. It's great.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
ebisu is my second fav character and she gets mad hosed up

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm going to be pissed if haru doesn't show up

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nikaido av if anyone wants it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's easily the best new show this season.

Even if you think Dorohedoro is better than Eizouken, there's no way that's an easy call.

Still real good but mostly I'm just glad it introduced me to the manga.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Its pretty easily in the top 3 this season I think

One of those is just my sincere belief that there's probably another anime airing this season that is as good as dorohedoro and eizouken but just doesn't interest me.

Though I think it's fair that the venn diagram of fans of those two shows isn't exactly a perfect circle either, if you're only into one or the other I'm sure it's a pretty easy pick

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nikaido av if anyone wants it

This clip is a loving nightmare to compress to a gif. Holy poo poo. I literally cannot get 180x101 to be under 205kb let alone 150 even down to 16 colors dithered. I really want to keep all 42 frames though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I can imagine the flashing colors and constant deinterlacing would completely gently caress up any attempts to make a small scale gif.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Even if you think Dorohedoro is better than Eizouken, there's no way that's an easy call.

Still real good but mostly I'm just glad it introduced me to the manga.
Eizouken seems mostly fine but those heartfelt coming of age series/movies are really dependent on catching you just right and I slid off it. I generally like my media in that genre distilled down to a single 90 minute movie. though even with all that it's definitely second place. Though maybe yokai detective or toilet-ghost shows are hidden gems I just haven't gotten to yet.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ranzear posted:

This clip is a loving nightmare to compress to a gif. Holy poo poo. I literally cannot get 180x101 to be under 205kb let alone 150 even down to 16 colors dithered. I really want to keep all 42 frames though.

yeah i think mine is probably the best anyone's ever going to do and it's a loving hair under the filesize limit

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Nah, wasn't about to back down. Looks like you halved the frames too, but didn't fix the playback speed.

178x100, 21 frames, 60 colors, 148kb

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 26, 2020

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
New ending for episode 3. It did feel to me like the original was a little low effort.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Q Hayashida you can't just put Noi in a suit and put her hair up and think that's okay to do.

Also I'm guessing Ebisu is just gonna keep getting hosed up in increasingly hilarious ways.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 26, 2020

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I'm guessing Ebisu is just gonna keep getting hosed up in increasingly hilarious ways.

oh, you have no idea

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I imagine decapitating a lizard man leads to some extremely weird poo poo if he's got a man just hanging out in his throat.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U9AJM4wwm0

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Caiman waking up with his pillow stuck to the back of his head will never not be funny.

Also I now see why they're doing the crossover with Zombieland Saga.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Full version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZFP4e8VaA

I love (K)NoW_NAME

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Oh by the way, the thread might want to know that the manga has an offiical soundtrack too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phycrqusolo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nikaido be her friend :(

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Caiman waking up with his pillow stuck to the back of his head will never not be funny.

Dude needs to talk to some black women and learn about sleep bonnets.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

No joke i was thinking they might be the walk cycles of all four characters from Castlevania 3. Grant would be more obvious though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so it's not uncommon for an anime to have a placeholder ed that gets changed after a couple episodes once they've finished the animation

it is uncommon for the song to change. this ED's animation is fairly specific to the episode, and the first ED being all about the doors was pretty relevant at the time and not as much now

in conclusion, if we get a new ED every couple of episodes i'm gonna bust a loving nut every god drat time holy poo poo i love this

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the animation is kind of clunky and there's a number of moments that aren't sold as well as i would've liked coming from the manga, but also with the little things like the ED changing and i'm pretty sure "dorohedoro hayashida" has been on some random object in every episode so far, i'm really appreciating seeing the story in animation. especially since the sound effects, voice acting, and music are all top notch too. really just makes me wish that each episode got an extra day in the oven because the talent and love is so clearly there and while the 3dCG doesn't really work, they make a good case that with a little more time it could work.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

CG clunk is just more obvious than 2D clunk.

Even Beastars and Houseki had some B-team jank now and then, but it never really detracted. This show has the eyes right, which is something I've mentioned in the Beastars or last season thread.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The CG was VERY jarring in the first episode, at least for me, but I barely notice it by now. You can get used to it, especially when everything else owns.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there should be a cg rule where a model isn't allowed to 100% sit still, because any time an animation stops and the model just ceases movement it becomes very jarring. 3d objects aren't meant to be that stiff if they aren't part of the scenery

i think in 2d it's easier to swallow when something is just totally still because it's kind of like looking at a still drawing instead of a person for whom time has suddenly stopped, and also there's been a lot of time for animation to condition me into not recoiling at still frames

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 28, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Anime studios should be obligated to use various Unreal Engine gens for cg models. Or do what Treasure Planet tried.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
I'm a little underwhelmed by the fight, the timing and layout were off. Still nice to see something other than an instant win by either side though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah for being a somewhat climatic fight they wiffed it a little bit. the ending with shin ripping off kaiman's head was pretty good though, and left me with a good feeling about the fight overall.

in general a lot of the individual motions in nikaido vs noi i think could've used some more emphasis, in the manga i think it's a bit more clear that noi is taking major injuries but immediately healing them, while in the anime it comes off a bit more like "noi is just That Buff".

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

noi is taking major injuries but immediately healing them,

Ooooooh. I didn't catch that...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Ooooooh. I didn't catch that...

so in both the manga and the anime i'm pretty sure you don't know that noi has healing magic at that point, so really the question you're supposed to be asking is "how come this lady is talking about having her internal organs hosed up like it's nothing? did her neck just snap why is she punching again right away :catstare:" and then you can kinda connect the dots when you see her heal ebisu a little bit later. in the anime the damage nikaido is doing to noi is a little undersold and comes off more as general anime exaggeration than "if this was shin getting hit like this he would just be straight up dead"

but yes, noi's fighting style is this: http://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/the-best-defense

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
In anime Noi healed Ebisu before her fight with Nikkaido, and it was hinted that she had healing magic even sooner. That being said, I agree that Nikkaido inflicting gruesome injuries and Noi visibly healing herself would make their fight look a bit better.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This show whips rear end.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Personally I'm really digging the CG, it just gives it something a bit unique right down to some of the jank.

Also gotta love me some 80s muscle bros/gals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I just started reading the manga a week or so ago and it's so... Refreshing? Like sure the world is gritty and awful and there's literal demons from Hell, but some of the demons run a hot spring where lava from Hell heats the water, and they're all chill and pleasant. It's just such an interesting world.