Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
TURBO I5 THE AUDI LMDH YOU FUCKIING COWARDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

They’re not going to do it, it requires a level of ambition and vision that modern Audi simply does not possess. It’s going to be the cheapest, easiest, lamest way possible. It’s going to be the Porsche LMDh but made worse as befitting VAG’s internal hierarchy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmdh is going to be so good.

Next year might be weird with the best we can hope for is a comedy Le Mans Toyota Breakdown.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

They’re not going to do it, it requires a level of ambition and vision that modern Audi simply does not possess. It’s going to be the cheapest, easiest, lamest way possible. It’s going to be the Porsche LMDh but made worse as befitting VAG’s internal hierarchy

Both Audi and Porsche are looking to get big returns on less budget, hence LMDh and not LMH or F1 or anything bigger.

But that doesn’t mean it won’t be interesting or good racing.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

I think so - plus, back in the day, it was the Jaguar XJR-14 that I think also got very close to F1 times (if memory serves), but that was because it had mountains of downforce and 1991 Formula 1 was kind of a transition still. And I think there's also apocryphal stories of Group B cars lapping Estoril almost as fast as F1 cars in the 1980s as well.

but yeah, even taking the current F1 engines having to last six or seven weekends, and then de-tuning the excess power down to what the new LMh rules allow, the engines especially are probably too finicky for sportscar duty. And in any case you wouldn't use the same exact electric motor or battery setup, and secretly that electrical engineering is the really expensive and time-intensive part of electric programs.

it is really stupid though that three hypercars have been announced and all are running small-ish twin turbo V6s.

The Group B thing is false, btw. Also 1991 wasn’t really a transition year, it’s just that the new 3.5L Prototypes were essentially enclosed F1 cars.

Frond fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 16, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/Elmomeister/status/1338406194344579072?s=20

Someone wasn't around last time this (just stick F1 engines in your Prototype, bing bong so simple) was tried.

Stupid idea. So stupid that the JSPC still stuck to the old rules, so Toyota had two different Group C prototypes in the 3.5L era.

It only worked for the XJR-14 because the HB was developed with money by Ford for F1 already. The Group C cars were more like enclosed F1 cars by that time anyway. Peugeot did take their Group C engine to F1 with middling results.

Frond fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 16, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
For forced induction, the V6 is best compromise. Reason being is that they can be very short and very narrow for aero considerations while being economical and also making big power. They can also be used as a stressed member easily, unlike Flat and Inline engines which require more work or a cradle.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

Stupid idea. So stupid that the JSPC still stuck to the old rules, so Toyota had two different Group C prototypes in the 3.5L era.

It only worked for the XJR-14 because the HB was developed with money by Ford for F1 already. The Group C cars were more like enclosed F1 cars by that time anyway. Peugeot did take their Group C engine to F1 with middling results.

yep - the move to those rules was to get manufacturers to leave sports cars and go to F1, Jaguar skirted that, Mazda didn't, Mercedes didn't initially, and only Peugeot took the bait and if you want to see how well it went go check the 1994 McLaren season for evidence.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Frond posted:

For forced induction, the V6 is best compromise. Reason being is that they can be very short and very narrow for aero considerations while being economical and also making big power. They can also be used as a stressed member easily, unlike Flat and Inline engines which require more work or a cradle.

Facts and logic = bad
Bizarre, noisy engine configurations created by contrarian egomaniacs = good
Get with the program

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

an oddly awful oud posted:

Facts and logic = bad
Bizarre, noisy engine configurations created by contrarian egomaniacs = good
Get with the program

It's a BoP formula so you can afford to get silly with engines in the name of being silly, within reason.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Unless GM shows up with an NA v8 and then you get to argue about torque curves (although maybe the hybrid will negate some of that)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It's a BoP formula so you can afford to get silly with engines in the name of being silly, within reason.

Yep. And there’s a maximum power level as well. At least Audi and Porsche are looking at non-V6 options.

Here’s hoping Mazda does The Thing and brings back the keg of bees :getin:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Man RIP to the Corvette program. I missed it at the time but Dan Binks quit in may, then recently Pratt & Miller was bought by Oshkosh (?????????) And now Doug Fehan was forced out. Never mind they're going to end up running alone in GTE soon.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
SF Finale, Fuji;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqHFq7eaF2k

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Excellent Race. I do feel bad for Hirakawa though - both times he lost out to Yamamoto with him in his sight.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Porsche’s motorsports head mentioned the ‘80s and ‘90s specifically in interviews, and said whether it’s customers or the factory team, “a Porsche win is a win!”

I think having the “customer car” be a bodywork kit and a powertrain - with common hybrid parts - on top of the P2 chassis is going to make that a much easier setup too. None of the hybrid P1 cars ever made it to customer teams to my knowledge; the factories were always guarded about that. Making it a common part will make that easier.

I don't think they did, Oreca ran a 908 and ByLOLes R10s immediately prior to the hybrid era but I don't remember a customer hybrid.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

LETSSSS GOOOOOOO!!!!!

it's pretty funny though that ktm group has ktm husky and gasgas teams now

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I got the Dakar stuff as a youtube rec, but what the hell is going on with the coverage. Like the only video on the classics stuff is like 30 seconds long and most of the other videos are like a couple of minutes

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

track day bro! posted:

I got the Dakar stuff as a youtube rec, but what the hell is going on with the coverage. Like the only video on the classics stuff is like 30 seconds long and most of the other videos are like a couple of minutes

The clips they show on YouTube are the same that are shown during the daily recap shows. The daily recap show supplements that with interviews, news, special features, host banter, etc. If you're just wanting to follow along with the action of the race what you see on YouTube is just the bare minimum of it. RedBull TV has the daily shows if you want the juicy fat bits with your meat.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/events/dakar-rally

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
LETSSSS GOOOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKg-TMvSVE

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Video is unavailable, what was it?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

harperdc posted:

Video is unavailable, what was it?

Supercross preview show. The NBCSN version may be geoblocked (and is 9 minutes shorter for some reason) so there's the version from Supercross that you may be able to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s1_a_yRDnw

Watch More Supercross

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Meanwhile, at the Chili Bowl

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1349528725222612993

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dubai 24 starts in a jiff. Is that a proper 24 h race or one of those "easier on the crews" split races?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Dubai 24 starts in a jiff. Is that a proper 24 h race or one of those "easier on the crews" split races?

I believe it's a split.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Coverage on YouTube, should be accessible worldwide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhl1AsUt_CY

Race starts in about an hour from this post.

orange juche posted:

I believe it's a split.

I'm pretty sure that's the case, yeah.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

928 already hosed it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is that.... is that a VIPER :gizz:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Is that.... is that a VIPER :gizz:

From the full-grid photo this week looks like a red Viper GT3 was front and center, so, sure, they’ve probably still got BoP tables somewhere they can use for it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yes, Zakspeed have a Viper here.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And it's gearbox broke.

Pretty sure this one is the only one they run totally in one go for the creventic series

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKCwY00lacT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Uhhh ok, I thought the hypercars were supposed to even have some sort of pretense of looking like a roadcar?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Are they going to sell that LMP1 car as a road car? Lmao

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Are they going to sell that LMP1 car as a road car? Lmao

I don't think there is a roadcar requirement, but I thought the whole idea of the dumbass hypercar crap was to make it have some road car styling elements?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh I thought they had to be homologated now :(
I thought the aim was to get hypercar manufacturers interested too etc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the whole pitch as I understood it was for it to basically be prototype innards in a road car shell. If it's just a rebranding of LMP1 then what's the point?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Oh I thought they had to be homologated now :(
I thought the aim was to get hypercar manufacturers interested too etc.

I dunno what hypercar company would be able to afford it tho.

Anyone know what was happening with the Glickenhaus one? I mean thats as close to what you mean.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Porsche, Aston, Mclaren and Ferrari were talking about it weren’t they?
Assumed they were trying to get back to the days of clk gtrs and 911 gt1s and F1s and stuff.
This sucks and I’m into it the exact same amount as I was with lmp1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Porsche, Aston, Mclaren and Ferrari were talking about it weren’t they?
Assumed they were trying to get back to the days of clk gtrs and 911 gt1s and F1s and stuff.
This sucks and I’m into it the exact same amount as I was with lmp1.

LMP1H was cool when there were 3 competing teams, but like all sportscar stuff it never lasts. Everyone is cutting their motorsport stuff as it costs too much and it doesn't align with pushing for EV's idk. I don't even have anything against ev's I'd love to see a balls to the wall ev series openwheel or hybrid.

Weren't porsche going in on the LMDH which is like a hopped up hybrid lmp2 or summat? I really lost interest in motorsport over the last year lol