Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arglebargle III posted:

"Dyeus" is the proto-Indo-European word for the chief sky god so 4000 years later I feel like that concept is still prominent in people's lives.

Deiwos.

Dyeu- is the source of that, meaning “to shine”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Unormal posted:

Dyeus-pater, sky father, is the etymological root of Jupiter.

*Deiwos-pəter was the PIE, plus some fuckery with the vowels because of vocative.

The Latin was Iuppiter, but the orthography was more than likely hiding a consonant cause that's how Latin did.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Vincent posted:

The wheel thing in the body also made me think of a Hurly Gurly. Hurly Gurly. Gurney. I hope that was a little joke by the prop team.

Do you mean a hurdy gurdy?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bene Gesserits never clip their toe nails.

They're like loving pumas down there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would say that his best ever role by a huge margin, the one that put him on the map, is a villainous one.

Yeah, I was gonna say.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think Elba would play the role too wooden, like he's in the Eternals or something. Has he played many villains? I can't think of any and I don't think he'd be that believable as one. The actor needs to just ooze arrogance.

Of course, none of this matters that much because as signifcant as the role is to the story, if Villenueve follows the book the emperor will have about seven minutes of screentime

edit: comedy option (but would genuinely be cool to see): Keanu Reeves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaOmJiVg_ew

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm not married to Elba playing the Emperor or anything. I'd watch him play Little Orphan Annie cause he's a very, very good actor, but it's not like a hill I'd choose to die or anything.

But someone saying that the dude who played the iconic role of Russel "Stringer" MotherFucking Bell can't do evil, scheming, arrogant but also deeply likable and charismatic... Wow. Uh that, sure is a take you can try to have there, buddy. Go on and give that a heft.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tim Blake Nelson or nothing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do people really puzzle over Herbert's conservatism? Or not understand the conservative party is entirely different beast than it was before Goldwater dragged the party far to the right of where it was?

There are large chunks of the electorate who don’t know what the Southern Strategy was and think Republicanism has an unbroken line going back to before Lincoln.

So, yes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m completely clueless what you mean by “old” in this context.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Famously not good and boring movie, No Country For Old Men.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I just keep thinking about someone thinking No Country for Old Men is boring. This is haunting me.

Like, if that's not a good movie, can you imagine what this cat would think of like a Jim Jarmusch movie? If I put on Down by Law, would they and their wife be immediately put under a sleeping curse, their apartment slowly growing over with thorns and ivy, until Tom Holland awoke them with true love's kiss?

Can we pass the hat around for charity to get them to watch Lamb?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It's also not slow paced. It's slower compared to something really fast, but it's not like some kind of plodding snorefest. It's just paced like a story. There are slower Michael Mann movies for gently caress's sake.

There's tons of movies that are too slow for most people (hi, A24's anything), but if No Country For Old Men is too slow for you, then so are the vast majority of all movies ever made. Like, it's faster paced than Evil Dead II, and Raimi is not exactly famous for simmering along at his own speed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

As opposed to the solid half an hour of no music and just Bruce Campbell by himself in a cabin with no dialogue in a splatstick horror comedy?

If you get bored by No Country for Old Men, how do you stay awake in like elevator rides or whatever?

(Not you, generic "you" meaning "someone")

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

kalel posted:

pause the thread for a moment, because I was thinking about this just this morning and I need to write words about it to get it out of my system: it sucks that English speakers (esp. Americans) don't use the impersonal "one" construction anymore. it solves a lot of problems like this here where you need to spend extra words clarifying your usage of "you." but if you use it in conversation it makes you sound like a nutjob. it's bullshit! bullshit, I tell you

O yeah, it's annoying as poo poo and I'm not a fan at all. I'm hyper aware of it and how it can make me seem even more aggressive ("when YOU do this bad thing I'm talking about YOU YOU YOU"), which is exactly why I put that in there.

Brits have it a little bit better, but German's where it's at because they have a whole generic pronoun (man) that's just for exactly that purpose and it's soooooooooooooooo much easier you don't even know. I'll be talking to someone and it can get weird or heated, and then we switch to German and it's the conversational equivalent of drinking a beer in the shower it's so much more relaxed. To the point where after my ex and I had been dating for 6 years it was one of like 18 words of German she ever learned, it was that useful.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

It made a good return for sure but it was the 33rd highest grossing worldwide and 51st worldwide.

Behind stuff like Meet the Robinson and Evan Almighty.

And as we all know, if a movie does less than 25th highest worldwide gross of all time it's utterly unwatchable trash.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Caladan’s a watery planet, right?

Hippos.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The ornithopter scene is especially good for the Voice. People call the Bene Gesserit witches, but Jessica was positively demonic there.

I don't especially like the idea of portraying the Voice as some dramatic scifi sound effect. It's meant to be subtle and insidious. But it worked so well in this film.

I'm with you that the Voice is thematically better framed as a super subtle thing : I think it'd actually be perfect if it was imperceptible as different except that it hijacks control of you, that'd be be so loving cool. But I don't think that plays in a movie at all. Works great in a book, but in a movie you need some kind of overt signal that something's happening*, so you're basically stuck having some kind of auditory or visual signifier. And then we're basically just talking about art design for the obvious thing (keeping in mind that somehow this story is too subtle for idiots as is).

*Well, okay, you could do a whole thing about interpreting the ambiguity of if the the Voice is being used here or there and what is being commanded and what is people's own agency, but you'd have to do so much rewriting to make that work because that also wouldn't play with the script as written.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

kalel posted:

yeah grimes I'd really love to see your take on the film with all of the colonialist elements scrubbed out. you definitely have a firm grasp on the source material

I’m kind of curious what that would even mean. It’s like someone pitching their take on Animal Farm without Stalinism or a vegan-friendly version of The Jungle.

A fascinating slurry of wanting to remove the critique and getting that it’s critiquing a bad thing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The United States posted:

the emperor has been hitting the spice a bit too hard

Sheeit, change of plans.

Get Pauly-boy here some scuba flippers and we're most of the way to a convincing Guild Navigator.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

drat, could this be the most brilliant idea?

Only if he has the same accent and 'tache as in The Lighthouse.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This has always been my assumption as well, though on the other hand it seems less likely that they would have forgotten their identity if they were that close to Earth

Ixians haven’t invented poo poo ever. They just are the only ones who remember where Earth is and go dumpster diving when they need to come up with something. Bronso of Ix was actually named Barry.

Giant loving con job.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

well why not posted:

Pop on some creepy de-aging tech and let him do whatever he wants, we're in the hands of an expert here.

This might be the first time de-aging is actually a good idea. Embrace the uncanny valley horror vibes as an artistic choice because yeah that’s how spice works, it keeps you supernaturally young which is loving creepy. Mocap him so you get old man shuffles in a young body. Just leave the eyes 79 years old.

(Obviously you’d have to make it play as your intent and not a rationalization for lovely CG)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’ve been imagining that Ian McNeice was playing a time traveling Baron shouting news in Rome for about 15 years now and it still improves my viewing experience.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Condense the story by combining Leto with a sandworm.

gently caress it, just make everyone a sandworm.

We're all here cause we like watching sandworms wreck poo poo, so let's cut to the chase and have an all sandworm cast.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Justin Credible posted:

This is an insanely minor nitpick and is really just for fun, Dune is amazing. But like.. they were just going to off Jessica right there, and then drag her body however many miles to extract the water? Seems like a waste of energy when conservation is everything and they could get her to go their under her own volition instead of using precious calories of 4 other people to carry her.

But seriously though, it ruined the whole movie.

If she fights more than the same weight in sandbags, i.e. at all, you'd lose calories net. You're assuming she gets told to walk and she just does.

But I like to imagine that they had a little silly straw as a travel option for getting water.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Speleothing posted:

I believe it's implied that water can be recovered from corpses in the field. Maybe you just let the stillsuit do its thing to her blood as she dies from stab wounds.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait what? :psyduck:

I'm with the gf.

I always imagined Irulian as more of a Danny DeVito-type.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Spice Bloom-hauer.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cessna posted:

Is it "purity," or is it just Jared Diamond-esque environmental determinism?

I.e., Giedi Prime < Caladan < Salusa Secundus < Arrakis

To which Frank Herbert responds with porque_no_los_dos.gif cause that's one of the really gross themes of the books.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australians actually used to have a reputation for being incredibly good soldiers, and y'know, prison colony.

And then the Emu War happened...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Uh, so about the average person in an American prison...

I had assumed that was very dry humor.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Yea but will Zendaya be ok with the spice orgy scene?

Chani in the miniseries handled it

Are you joking or an idiot.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm surprised he hasn't figured out Stable Diffusion yet

Who is this (annoying, misogynistic) goober?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

jeeves posted:

While they may be the absolute worst at ever pulling off their schemes, the Tleilaxu definitely have one of the coolest names in all of scifi. Funny since Dune is so full of bizarrely normal names like Paul or Jessica.

You're welcome to your opinion and I support you in that, but I don't understand it in the slightest : that name is very clearly just pressing buttons on a keyboard and reads as B''llS'he-eet FanToSy Neim to me.

Herbert accidentally made that one word sound like it could be Nahuatl, but I haven't seen any evidence it was intentional and there's a lot of evidence gesturing to that not being the case.

I have an incredibly low bar for my nerd-fiction names, because that's just the genre, but this doesn't even clear that and would fit just as well in Black Library book.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

What’s Black Library Book? Anyway OP is right that Bene Tleilax/Tleilaxu is one of the best names in Dune, and the whole series is a high water mark for SF names and terms (both the pulpy and the cool ones). I was slow on the uptake that the BT was a paper tiger because I thought there was no way they’d be so lame with a name that cool

I typo'd and forgot to put in a definite article there ; Black Library is Warhammer's semi-in house publishing arm that vomit 20 books a year about grizzle marines fighting for the emperor in a generically fascist-catholic way.

And you do you, but that name is garbage. It's trying to sound weird to English speakers but it's not actually weird so it's just boring and doesn't fit in with the setting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Ah well I've stayed clear of Warhammer so I can't speak to that. What are some examples you do like (inside out outside of Dune)?

You don't miss much. I played Warhammer as a kid so I was adjacent to the books but not a fan and they're 99% shovelware.

Actual good fictional names usually ground their schemes in some real-world thoughts about language to get a consistent set of phonological characteristics. This means generally having a linguist on staff to make a fictional language or already caring enough about language to do that work yourself (hi, Tolkien). Although even then a lot of cowards still just go with "take real world language our audience doesn't speak, make up new words" approach ; Dothraki is just a mix of Turkic and Mongolian, Tolkien's Elvish is really just Finnish, etc.

Off the top of my head, my current top dog is The Expanse because they make some interesting and occasionally subtle world-building choices with the names, GRRM's Westeros is fundamentally a little derpy but I gotta give it 50 points for consistency, Na'vi of all loving things is actually pretty interesting*. Firefly, despite clearly not being planned out, is actually pretty consistent where Chinese is basically some kind of semi-liturgical language/Lingua Franca.

But this is ignoring the ultimate example : China Mieville's Embassytown, which actually has interesting aliens with a different approach to language and its plot does a bunch of cool, interesting things with it. There are major plot points based around the relationship between actual spoken language and the things they represent.

*I don't care about Avatar, but they gave a linguist a lot of money and they had some fun taking a bunch of really, really cool and rare linguistic features and combining them, and I can't fault them because I would've done the same. Yeah let's have VOS word order and a tri-partite case morphology system and throw ejective consonants on top for fun.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I will not every get over Gurm having a character named Uncle Kevin in his dragons and tits show.

He literally has Moe, Curly and Larry in there along with half of Sesame Street.

Hence why it's "look it's consistent so technically good, but also I hate it."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

That was such a cool book

Dude is hella divisive, but he legit has some bold ideas and he really takes them to their end points.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Can we talk about how poo poo Richese is compared to IX?

The only thing they manufacture is disappointment.

I always assumed they were the children of Ixians who were putting on their parents’ clothes and playing grown up.

They’re like a galactic lemonade stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

sebmojo posted:

That's powerful, but the current title is so good......

Played the board game over the weekend, was some excellent wheels within wheels plotting, ended up with a canonical emperor/harkonnen v atreides/fremen alliance

God I miss having people close to me who like games that are that cut-throat and can still be friends after.