Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

shoulda just filmed all the Arrakis stuff in California this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you were hype for Dennis Villeneuve doing Dune I can’t imagine how this trailer would derail that.

I almost didn’t watch the trailer just because I know I want to see this movie regardless.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Do we also hate the generally dark and drab look of the Lynch movie? Cause everyone wears black in that and it’s generally brown/black.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I thought in the first book the navigators are just fat guys with blue eyes and he decided to make them weird mutants after that.

First time I saw a visual depiction was Barlowe's guide to extraterrestrials and even though his is more accurate to the description I think Lynch's is so much cooler.
In the first book it says no one even knows what the navigators look like because no one from the spacing guild allows themselves to be seen by anyone outside the guild. They employ other people who handle interface with their ships for customers/passengers. No one has seen a member of the spacing guild in centuries.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

That makes sense, I highly doubt he would have agreed to this if he couldn't even finish the story.
He said so explicitly

“I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” says Villeneuve. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.com/dune-two-movies-sequel-explained-reason-why-denis-villeneuve/%3famp

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Since they didn’t shoot two movies at once there is no guarantee. They could have promised him they’d make both and the studio would still find a way to bail on the second movie if they really wanted to.

The quotes and news just mean a second film is as likely as it can be under the circumstances.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If WB takes their head out of their rear end and does a digital release along side the theatrical one for their movies, they can probably make some money of of Dune, but I don't think that will happen.
The only reason this didn't happen with Tenet is because Nolan has the clout and "muh vision" to prevent it. Not sure if the same will apply to Dune.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

That’s a bit silly. Nolan can’t be blamed for the pandemic, and WB and Nolan were presumably hand-in-hand in the release strategy. Nolan is a uniquely reliable and bankable talent. One critical /box office misfire isn’t going to affect his trajectory at all.
If they'd released it on VOD for like $20 back in May it would have made a ton of money. The only reason this didn't happen is because Nolan is a purist who wanted his movie seen on the big screen, and he had the influence to ensure that happened.

The studio surely would have gone for the cash grab if it weren't a Nolan movie.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

good, hopefully that means we can see it on the big screen as it should be seen without having to haz mat suite it up

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

well why not posted:

COVID hasn't hit that hard here, wish they'd release it where cinemas are open.
If they release it anywhere months before the US it will kill any significant US release.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

G-III posted:

I prefer this than the 'risk death to see our movie' model they were running with. But the reality as it is today: movie theaters are a thing of the past. Refusing to release this on streaming now will bite them in the rear end.
Why will it bite them in the rear end? If theaters are dying, their death will be even more clear a year from now. Why would they make less money releasing it on streaming at that point than they would right now?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't really see how that follows. Why will there be more streaming competition a year from now, if things are still bad enough that movie theaters are dead? If they can't operate movie theaters a year from now they also won't be able to operate movie and tv studios to produce more streaming content.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yoohoo posted:

Have you seen all of the movies that have been pushed back? There's a lot.

And more content will continue to get made - there's a huge difference between being on a set where you have people testing regularly and making sure everyone is following guidelines and being in a sealed room in where anyone can come in regardless of if they're sick or not with mask rules being enforced by some high schooler being paid minimum wage.
It is my understanding that a lot of production is still shut down, which is why there are all these zoom celebrity table reads and poo poo happening.

Am I mistaken? Are all the studios back up and running full time now?

Cause Hollywood is one industry where very wealthy people have to work in relatively close proximity to the working class. High dollar actors/directors know the grips and production assistants etc are not able to hide from the world and the virus as easily and thus are more at risk of spreading it to them. Thus, studio production did not reopen with outdoor bars and restaurants in LA.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah when I went googling for answers to that question I found hits about NYC studios reopening. I can't find info on LA from anything more recent than July.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This seems relevant to this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGy16GQHz-g

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No the animated Dune needs to be a faithful recreation of Jodorowsky’s film-that-never-was

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

why sell tickets to one 4.5 hour movie when you could instead sell everyone tickets to two 2.5 hour movies?

at least this isn't a Hobbit situation where they're stretching the source material into extra films just to cash in

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

looks like it was pushed back from October 1st to October 22nd which is a big whatever at this point, it's already been delayed a year what's another 3 weeks?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Judging by most royal families: lol
those aren't centuries-long breeding programs designed to produce a god-man. They're centuries of short-term decisions stacked on top of one another, each designed to consolidate power

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Re-re-re-re-re-re-reading the first book in preparation (of criticizing each and every variance from the source). I hate to go to the movies solo, so I am going to try to convince my wife to read the book, if only to keep her from asking me questions about what is going on during the movie.
Don't force a notoriously difficult book to get into on someone who isn't into it just so you don't have to answer questions about a movie. Be grateful your wife is wiling to go see the nerd movie with you and be wiling to answer her questions. If you really can't handle that then suck it up and see the movie alone.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Isn't getting vaxinated an option?
As someone currently recovering from symptomatic breakthrough covid, the delta variant isn't to be taken lightly.

The county nurse who followed up with me after my positive test said I should be protected from reinfection for ~90 days which is right around the release of this movie. Before getting sick I was sure I'd see this in theaters since hey, I'm vaccinated, but now I'm less sure.

Maybe I'll go with a half-face respirator and pretend its cosplay.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Dune is only in theaters
when did that change? It was listed with all the other HBO streaming releases for months.

edit: Dune is still listed on this page https://www.hbomax.com/same-day-premieres

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 24, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Dude, the massive uptick is literally those who are not vaxed.

This plague wiped me out for 2 weeks in March. I then got vaxed, and I'll ba damned if I am going to be avoiding a theater at this point because 99% catching it cannot be bothered to get a loving shot in the arm.
In places where less than 10% of people are vaccinated, sure. But in places with vaccination rates over 50%, it's more like 85% of infections are among the unvaccinated. 99% in this context is hyperbolic and implies unwarranted safety to those vaccinated.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's actually more effective than that. The vaccines were an unbelievable godsend the problem is people not getting vaccinated.

I'll just reiterate that I am currently sick with COVID despite being fully vaccinated (Pfizer). Today is my 6th day of symptoms, second without a fever. I have zero sense of smell right now. We're growing cannabis outside which was extremely aromatic to me a week ago but if I shove my nose in it I can't smell it at all right now.

The vaccine is quite effective at preventing hospitalization/death, but it is no guarantee against infection nor symptoms. Consider your risks accordingly.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 25, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Discussions about in-theater viewing and covid risks are unavoidable in this thread and it's foolish to expect otherwise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That study is statistically crap
That may be, (tho it seems to be making an impression on a number of physicians on Twitter) but I got a breakthrough case from a 30 minute bus ride which is less time than a 2+ hour movie so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is notoriously difficult to start/get into because of the way he throws you into the jargon and the world. Obviously hasn’t stopped millions from reading it but it is nonetheless

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

so you're saying they need to borrow from anime to adapt this
Idk why no ones made the Jodorowski version as anime yet

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

One would assume yes, a lot of people work from home these days.

An option for theatre watching would be to head over to the Covid thread in cspam and join elastomer crew.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Even if you aren't worried about the effects on yourself, you should worry about the likelihood of spreading it to others and thus helping perpetuate the pandemic. There are 50 million unvaccinated children in America right now, and every additional person who gets infected is another link in a potential transmission chain to a child who'll get long covid or worse.

Then again these are goons, maybe you live alone, work from home, and can quarantine yourself for a week after a potential exposure event like a packed theater.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm well aware, I had a breakthrough symptomatic case a little over a month ago (I think I mentioned it in this thread at the time). But some people are less convinced by that particular risk.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

unfortunately "the most 'Villeneuve' move yet" combined with covid is not a recipe for box office success and The Sequel That Was Promised

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I’m sure Deli Vellanov will pull it off
little known fact the planet Irakiss is a reference to Iraq and the story is a metaphor for the Iraq war

edit: That "review" video

0:00-0:13 youtuber intro
0:14-0:41 jodorowski and lynch did some things
0:42-1:10 actual review (it's beautiful and perfect)
1:11-2:07 plot summary
2:08-6:20 actual review (the script is perfect the visuals are perfect the actors are perfect it's a perfect movie)
6:21-13:00 trailers

very useful

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 7, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

Still supremely disappointed that we were never given this.

someday someone will make it in animation

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

It's probably better it wasn't. This looks like everyone making it was high on cocaine and the only way to enjoy it is to be high on cocaine.
Star Wars ended up using a lot of concepts and artists after Jodorowsky's version was scrapped and the world is better for it.

Wondering what would've been is probably more fun that what they would've actually made.
Wrong drug. Jodorowsky said he wanted to make people feel like they'd had an LSD trip.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The United States posted:

If you want more D U N C it might be better to spend your $15 on an HBO Max sub and watch only D U N C over and over

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/dune-hbo-max-release-1235062312/

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1437516658827014146
setting up my tv to loop D U N C over and over for a month

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My friend told me that the in universe reason was that shooting lasers at a shield would cause nuclear explosions or something, but I think he was just loving with me
Not loving with you that is the reason in the book

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The whole "Will Dune II get made???????" is C-level executive bullshit from the studio forced upon the actors, directors and everyone else working on the movie, to try and generate more buzz.
There's no loving way Denis Villeneuve signed on to do half a movie based on a book that he's been wanting to make a movie out of, ever since he was a kid.
Of course he only agreed to make the movie if they'd let him do it in two parts, he said as much.

The question has always been, will the studio tell him to gently caress off if they decide they don't want to follow through.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I’m not going to poison you with a needle, I am going to hold a gom jabber to your neck which is coated in meta cyanide, let me explain the whole history of this needle while we stand here with me threatening to kill you.

Like I love dune, but it is literally like 95% people saying made up words then explaining long histories and rule sets about that made up word.
It’s funny cause my recollection of the book was constantly having in-universe proper blunder thrown around with no explains having to flip back to the glossary all the time to figure out wtf the characters were talking about.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I also think part of it is the heighliner boarding/folding space part of the Lynch movie legit absolutely fuckin' rules so by doing it this way they avoid any comparison to it completely, though it was still cowardly to not actually show a navigator's face.
This is a weird complaint when the book specifically says no one outside the guild has ever seen a Navigator and isn’t allowed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah blizzard has to be the epitome of game dev fall from grace. Starcraft, D2, WoW and then…. the rest. Even their complete failure to capitalize on the emergence of DotA is an example of their fall.