Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao I was not aware before watching this that it was only half of the first book - I assumed part two would be Messiah. By the time it got to the Fremen I was thinking the pacing was extremely hosed because it felt like more than two hours had passed already.

I really enjoyed it but it really needed more of a climax. I'm not sure what could possibly have done that though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really want to watch it again. Shame it's not on streaming platforms in the UK - I doubt I'll get another chance to see it in a cinema any time soon.

On reflection it's crazy how prominent Zendaya was in all the marketing when she's straight up barely in the movie. Her and Dave Bautista are casting choices that could leave some people scratching their heads - without the context of Part Two it feels like two huge name actors being totally wasted on bit-parts. I suppose it's a natural casualty of splitting the story in two but it feels really odd to watch - most movies would find something for those characters to do to justify including the actors.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah part of me did walk out thinking it could have worked as a series instead - but honestly how many episodes would that even be? Just talking about the first book I don't think there's much more they could have added to the first half plot-wise. So maybe six hour long episodes? I don't know if that's worth the inevitable loss of budget and scope. It's a shame we have to wait so long for the (arguably) more interesting parts of the story though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I edited that post for more context because I think the context was missed.

But in response to this post, the Duke did know that the whole thing was a trap because he says as much, and also the ugly Baron guy says as much too. He didn’t know the specifics of how it was going to go down, but he clearly knew from the get go that the Emperor giving them stewardship of that planet was not in good faith and that they needed to be prepared for war. So you would think that knowing this they would have put some tech points into their early defense systems or whatever.

This is veering into 'people not doing the rational, correct thing is a plot hole' territory.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Millie Bobby Brown as Feyd

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I wasn’t aware of how much power and control the space guild has.

They barely get mentioned in the movie tbf. I'm starting a re-read now (for the first time in well over a decade - I don't remember it so good) and it's shocking how much exposition there is towards the start that the movie sort of just skips. A lot of it is stuff that's conveyed better onscreen rather in dialogue but there's definitely some worldbuilding missing. I'd say they didn't have time to cram it in but I guess they could have cut five or six Zendaya visions.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

After viewing the movie once in a cinema and watching parts of it at home I really think it's fair to say that movies really shouldn't have such extreme dynamics in their audio, at home I constantly had to adjust my volume knob and in the cinema that loud parts were borderline painful. I'm sure in some perfectly balanced Dolby approved theater it's all perfect and super immersive but whatever, theaters shouldn't be painfully loud and home viewing shouldn't involve constant volume adjustments. Denis.

All movies should come with at least one extra mix designed for basic home setups. If I can't understand dialogue on my TV speakers then a ball has been dropped. Looking at you Expanse season 1.

Conversely, I loved how loud an intense Dune's sound mix got in the cinema. It was just on the edge of being too much but it made for a hell of an experience. I'm not looking forward to rewatching it on my TV for that reason - half the experience will be lost. And even if I had a setup capable of recreating it I'd be a lovely neighbour if I tried.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Typo posted:

the movie was very underwhelming in how it considering that it's the climax of Paul's journey in the 1st half of the book. The miniseries from 20 yrs ago did a better job at choreographing it

Which is really why it feels like the movie just ends. They could have either made a bigger thing out of the duel to make it feel like more of a climactic moment (ie Fellowship of the Ring merging the ending of the book with the beginning of Two Towers and making the whole thing feel bigger) or done more to sell it being a huge character moment for Paul.

They did neither so it feels like the movie ended because they'd reached the halfway point of the book rather than because there was a cinematic conclusion.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blood Boils posted:

Is he really? He kinda dies and gets cucked a lot for a supposedly sexy badass. Almost Boba Fett-esque perception vs reality.

Wuh? :confused:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ben Shapiro does movie reviews? I thought he was just a hate preacher.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Collapsing Farts posted:

A big TV with good sound

I don't have £3,000 to spend on a home cinema setup (that still wouldn't come close to an actual cinema).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's the hands that freak me out. They're just human enough.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Gonna need a lot of more than stitches, since his head is chopped off with a knife and then unceremoniously dropped on the floor.

Hey no one said the head would be alive when it was stitched on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tbh that was one of the few times I found the dialogue was drowned out by the score. At first I thought he said "It's sand!" and I was like... Yeah? :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

What if the Imperial Herald from the start of the movie turned out to be the Emperor? I know it's not in the book or anything but it's the kinda stupid thing Emperors do sometimes, like Undercover Boss but for the Galactic Imperium instead of a Hobby Lobby.

Yeah, I realise this is falling into the realm of "goons suggest terrible pointless plot ideas*

I love Benjamin Clementine so if they can find a way to get him in it more I'll be happy with that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Halloween Jack posted:

I changed my mind. Bob Odenkirk.

It's going to be Giancarlo isn't it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gotta say the Dune fanbase seems really nice and welcoming compared to your average die hard sci fi/fantasy people. From what I've seen on here, Twitter, Reddit etc everyone just seems really excited that new people are learning about Dune via DUNC and there's no real gatekeeping going on. It's nice to see.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He's great too. He has a fantastic voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJMhYtYKMQ I hope he does more acting since I think this was his first role.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah the dialogue is super sparse and light on exposition. It's part of why the movie feels quite cold to me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

uber_stoat posted:

that's one of my problems with it. craziest cast in recent memory and most of them don't get a chance to do much of anything.

I was gobsmacked that they got away with promoting Zendaya so hard - and that she even took the role. She has like three lines after the opening narration and exists solely to foreshadow part two which hadn't even been greenlit.. The poster and trailers made her look like the female lead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Absolutely loved this. I thought it was a hell of a lot better than the first - which I thought was great, but ultimately it was 150 minutes of setup for this much better movie. The way the first one was paced and ended actually scarred me a bit - as I spent the whole last hour wondering if they were going to cut to black and leave the finale for part 3. Every time there was a big swelling moment (of which there were loving loads) I was hoping I wasn't about to see Denis Villeneuve's name.

It probably helps that I read the book over a decade ago and don't remember it too well so I could just sit back and enjoy the big worms. Paul learning to worm ride and being absolutely blasted with sand and wind and the finale are two of the best things I've seen in a cinema in recent memory.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Austin Butler as Feyd is a perfect adaptation too, for a character who doesn't get that much screentime, he steals every scene he's in and just projects complete malevolence constantly.

I love how he channeled Skarsgård's performance at points. There were a few times where the camera was off him and I almost thought it was the Baron speaking.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Martman posted:

This movie manages a lot of surprising comedy that somehow doesn't undercut the story imo

Yeah I was surprised at how genuinely funny it was. As much as Denis hates dialogue there's a lot of good chat in this.

I can think of two mildly amusing bits in the first film (Gurney's "I am smiling" and Stilgar spitting) but there were quite a few in this one.

killaer posted:

Ok can we just admit part 2 was a disappointment? Let’s let the movie make some serious money and have a chance for round 3 but let’s face it, it’s not perfect, so compared to part 1 it’s kinda a failure

Lmao what the gently caress?

stev fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 3, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really liked how Jessica subtly used the voice for most of the movie. Like she wasn't constantly in deep, booming scary mode but her dialogue was sort of doubled whenever she was talking to any of the Fremen. Like she turned it on slightly in the background.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know Denis would never do it but I'd be really interested in LOTR style extended editions once the trilogy is done to see this stuff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bright Bart posted:

Who is the dark skinned Fremen in Paul's visions? Talking about how he has a ways to go and all that.

Is it just a random Fremen representing his people? Or a character I completely missed? I have actual face blindness.

You mean Jamis? He's the guy Paul killed at the end of the first film.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alan Smithee posted:

protects against stabbing unless you go slow which tbh neither movies have really depicted well

The training scene in the first movie shows this pretty effectively. The shield goes red when they try to stab each other, and they're able to slowly push the weapons through. This happens at least twice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really don't get the complaints about the ending being abrupt or feeling like setup. I don't know what else you could possibly add at the end without going deep into the jihad. Even if we never got part 3 it feels like a completely satisfying ending to me - Paul seld-fulfilled his prophecy to become space Hitler and Chani rejected that and set off on her own path. The only real dangling thread is Alia.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Scarabrae posted:

And I agree with the sentiment that Part 2 is basically Denis’s first Marvel movie, loving cut out the soul of the book to hit plot points at breakneck speed.

Ah I see Marvel movie has finally become an entirely meaningless descriptor beyond "thing I don't like".

Also lmao that a 5+ hour movie adaptation could be considered breakneck speed. Without splitting the book into three or making it a TV show what more could he have done?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

No I think in this specific context, the poster even indicated what they meant by marvel movie. Not sure why you'd be defensive about an apt description.

I just don't see the comparison. It's like in the 90s where every adaptation was likened to Jurassic Park on the same grounds. It's just blockbuster aversion - which is fine if that's your thing but comparing this to something like Endgame just feels bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/drukavi/status/1769188738419351716?s=46

Irulan’s outfit goes from leisurely to medieval armor over the course of the movie, as she goes from “things are fine” to “oh poo poo”

That's just how Florence Pugh showed up to set.