Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He was attracting the worm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's not a shy hulud

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the sand digging thing looked like a fleshlight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

2house2fly posted:

The shield effects in the Lynch film were really cool, but the thought of dozens of people fighting each other while covered in those crystal cubes makes my head hurt.

E: the red shield signifying the kill in this is neat, though I also think it probably doesn't make much sense. If the shield is glowing then it knows something is there, so why can't it block it?

Well red shows that something is penetrating it, which could be your hand reaching to deactivate it. If it was completely impenetrable you'd have an issue with suffocating pretty quick.

Halloween Jack posted:

After the training scene, there's no rhyme or reason to what defeats a shield and what doesn't, why the dart hits Leto in the back, etc.

I think the thing with the dart and the artillery is that this is a seemingly novel idea where it slows down once it hits a shield but doesn't stop, just pushing with less and less force until it's able to pass the shield.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 28, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Halloween Jack posted:

As for "slowing down but still pushing through," the problem is that a bullet would also do that.

I think the dart has a continuous drive propelling it, a bullet would strike, have its inertia transferred to the shield, and then drop.

Randalor posted:

Why did the poison dart hit Leto in the back anyways? Was the dart just "stuck" in the shield until it slowed down enough to go through it and hit him in the back (even after he was shot in the back, spun around and still got hit in the back from the dart... somehow)?

Yeah, the impression I got was that it was stuck in the shield slowly making its way through. Presumably the shield barrier isn't some 2-dimensional surface I don't know.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You're never going to get a faithful Neuromancer film that also has anything close to broad appeal because Neuromancer is 1/3 quaintly outdated and 1/3 hilariously off-base as a prediction of the future.

You could get a good Neuromancer film that's faithful but it would have this cyberpunk retrofuture thing about it that would be a little too weird for audiences. You could also do a very loose adaptation that had more broad appeal by being more generic sci fi.

also Neuromancer isn't that great

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah when you're talking about the far-off year of 2010 and you're running off to cyberspace (which looks like jet grind radio) it's gonna be tough-to-impossible to make that feel fresh and relevant. If you're a couple thousand years in the future (or 24,000 for dunc) you're gonna have a lot more leeway in terms of design.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It might have been a reed organ or something run through distortion. Lots of drone notes in there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Imagine if this movie had the same producer as Dear Evan Hansen, which means casting his very adult son Ben Platt as the teenage lead. With all the makeup to hide his creases he'd look scarier than the Baron. Though he would be suited to play a sandworm.

Chalamet is only 2 years younger than Platt.

Okay, hear me out, Ben Platt as Feyd.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The way they handled Jamis getting mad in a dumb way about their very specific fremen rules is going to be a nice foreshadow to (sequel book spoilers) Paul heading into the desert at the end of messiah if they ever get there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
FPS with melee combat elements for shielded enemies.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Starks posted:

That’s clear afterwards, but if you haven’t read the book (or don’t remember it, as in my case) that scene reads like Paul is about to die. I thought that he was going to come back Jesus style though, he is a Messiah after all.

More book 2/3 spoilers: he also kinda does

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
gently caress, it's going to be Jared Leto isn't it?

fake edit in honor of the page# make it Danzig

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cheesus posted:

So you're saying Sacha Baron Cohen while reprising Jean Gerard's accent from Talladega Nights as Shaddam IV?

int. emperor's throne room
[Paul walks past two enormous fish-men floating in gigantic tanks filled with spice]
Paul: wait are those guild navigators?
Emperor, dismissively: no.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah if you want to see the director's cut, good news! It's streaming on HBO max and probably still in theaters!

If you want to see a 4 hour edit or deleted scenes or whatever, that's probably never going to happen unfortunately.

Honestly if after this whole thing is done he were to re-edit the 3 movies into 4 or 5 movies and add in material he cut I'd be down but he doesn't seem like the kind of director to care to revisit his old work or to look for gems on the cutting room floor.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MrYenko posted:

FTL ships ARE FTL communication. Even if a heighliner just carries a single imperial herald, information would move extremely quickly through the empire.

Yea but they make a point of how expensive that trip was just to send the message. It's possible that the only ftl communication that exists is what's conveyed on these freighters, effectively either rumors or very formal pronouncements.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
According to google translate the Chinese wikipedia page for 香草 also looks like a page for generic food seasoning type herbs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ruddiger posted:

Does this ever get answered in the books?

I don't even remember the formation being mentioned in the book at all, although it probably was. But no, I don't think it was addressed for the same reasons they don't provide the background for why stilgar was named that or what mechanism causes the whites of your eyes to turn blue after enough spice exposure.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There are two navigators hanging out wearing colored contacts when Paul first confronts the Emperor in the first book.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

PeterWeller posted:

That's right. Those dudes are Navigators. I thought they were just "Guildsmen" or "Guild Agents", but Paul does ask if they are Navigators and they confirm it. Still, I think my point stands with some clarification--you don't see one of the highly mutated fishman Navigators until Edric shows up in Messiah.

Yeah but I think that was more a case of Herbert changing his mind about Navigators to make them weirder (they're kinda fish like I guess) and then Lynch went whole hog on the idea and they're these gargantuan vaginaface dudes the size of an airplane.

PeterWeller posted:

I don't think Feyd is a KH candidate. I wonder how much he even fits into the breeding program since the Reverend Mother seems more concerned about the political ramifications of not having an Atreides daughter for him to marry. Now they can't "heal the breach" between the houses. So maybe their plan for him and the Atreides daughter they wanted was just to end the conflict between Atreides and Harkonnen and preserve both bloodlines.

The impression I had was they were hoping Feyd's offspring with *Paulette* would have been a potential KH.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I didn’t see it as a peek at an alternate timeline so much as just evidence that while Paul has some degree of prescience, his visions can’t be trusted to be 100% accurate.

Yeah, he even says this explicitly to the Reverend Mother. He dreams things as they happen, but not exactly as they happen.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but your space marine armour presumably isn't leaking somewhere. (and yes I know you can say the reclamation bit is the bit that makes Fremen suits special, but I think it's clear in the book that Fremen suits are special because they are particularly good at preventing loss).

Preventing moisture loss ain't gonna mean poo poo when sand clogs all the joints in your fancy space marine armor after 12 hours in the desert.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cerv posted:

could edit the "really" out there. sounds unfortunately like saying the pedo is trying (and failing) to be homo. which I know isn't what you meant lol

when people talk about Dune being unfilmable there's the whole grand spectacle, trippy drug poo poo, and internal monologues. but one of the major characters being such an explicit child rapist is also an issue to deal with.
can say Vileneuve made a fair choice to so gloss over that and pick out other aspects of the character instead

I don't really see how "he isn't actually gay, he's a chomo" implies that pedophilia is attempted homosexuality, but "failing to be homo" sounds for real very problematic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

sebmojo posted:

the baron says it was extremely expensive, so he's either lying to his nephew or it was extremely expensive.

"Extremely expensive" can mean a lot of things, especially when coming from the (possibly second?) richest man in the universe. 5 years spice production would be insanely expensive. 1 month's production would as well. What would Jeff Bezos call extremely expensive for a loss? An hour's expenses (not just profits) from amazon would probably be more than any of us will see in a lifetime.

Would Elon Musk consider $1 million expensive if he spent it on something trivial? Probably not. If he had to pay an extra $1 million in taxes he'd probably yell at the Tesla executives to find a way to make that back by reducing bonuses or using shittier airbags or something.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
|2UNC

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

jeeves posted:

One of the many cool world building done in the second half of Neil Stephenson’s Seveneves is that humanity reached a genetic bottleneck and an entire reborn civilization came out of it, but that period had perfect recordings exist until the present time three thousand years later. Religions would be a lot weirder if you had basically archived livestreams of the day to day happenings of your ancient messiahs.

Of course that whole last half the books has so many cool ideas that are kinda unserved by it being a Neil Stephenson novel and thus he gets bored and drops the story ending extremely abruptly.

It's not even the last half, the time jump is something like the last 20% of the book, and then it ends right when it starts getting interesting. gently caress I hated that book.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's called a hurdy gurdy but your point still stands.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Actually I kind of think NPH would do a good job as the emperor, especially in his smug gone girl mode.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is the emperor supposed to be deeply likable and charismatic? I always thought of him as aloof, equal parts brilliant and barely hiding incompetence, vain but unsettling. I think Dali would have been great, and I think Bowie would have been interesting if he was basically doing "Baal took a shower and put on some nice clothes." I think someone with real screen presence is a must, but it kind of specifically has to be slightly uncomfortable to the viewer. Your eyes are drawn to them but you don't necessarily like what you see.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The more I think about it the more convinced I am that we're going to end up with Jared Leto or like Cumberbatch or maybe Johnny Depp as the emperor. I'd be happy to be wrong about this and for DV to pick someone a little more left field like John Tuturro or someone.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I've heard people suggest it, I actually think middle aged Kyle McLaughlin would have been a great older Paul in Messiah and children of dune.

edit if we're bringing in lynch cast members I like douriff or sting

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also almost anyone who could be in charge of the spice desperately wants it to keep flowing - if it stops all income stops and all the major players start looking at whether it's worth it to dip slightly into their own reserves to get an invading force onto Arrakis and get poo poo going again. Paul's leverage is the spice (and if he ended all mass production he'd be fine, he's not personally reliant on it to live happily the way any other entity would be), but his real power is that he's omniscient and controls a devastating army. He could economically cripple them and they couldn't stop him if he did.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

sebmojo posted:

Also he can do ecology magic and kill all the worms. He's not threatening to stop sending out spice, he's threatening to obliterate spice.

He'd also the only player that both could and would carry that out. The other houses, the BG, CHOAM, they might threaten to delay harvesting but their way of life is very much dependant on spice. Paul's happy to live his life quietly in the desert and never think about it again.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The first book is great, and almost entirely devoid of conflict. It's just some folks exploring something they can never fully understand.

The followups are terrible, Clarke was enamored with the fact that an actual astrophysicist wanted to work with him so he just let him write whatever poo poo he wanted. I don't remember any incest though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like that they're like "dammit, I wish we had a flying bicycle" and then the one guy reveals he snuck his flying bicycle into space with him.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also if you don't gently caress too hard with their day-to-day life most people in the galaxy won't give a poo poo if Paul's the new emperor.

"Hey, there's a new emperor and we worship him and his name is Muad'Dib so he's also your god now expect updated pictures on money in the next decade or so."

"Uh, oh okay thanks. Tell Maude we say hi."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
How many inhabited worlds are there in this universe? Billions could be genocide or it could be small battles against house armies on hundreds of thousands of worlds.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For all we know the same rich idiots were accidentally bidding against each other.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lynch would be both hilarious and honestly great for the role, but there's absolutely no way he would ever do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Block the wind while I huff this spice.