Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

But enough about ENT :haw:

:iceburn:
:gowron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh now that Picard is on a sweary adult show maybe he'll finally be able to sigh and wearily tell Q to just gently caress off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was grinning like a fool from ear to ear when I hit play on that Patrick Stewart John de Lancie interview.

But then I gave an audible “ugh” when I saw the Disco S4 screens.

So Nu-Trek thread giveth and Nu-Trek thread taketh away.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
We open season two with Q inexplicably and grimly lighting the radish kid on fire

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

“Raffi died on her way back to her weird desert trailer’

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

HD DAD posted:

We open season two with Q inexplicably and grimly lighting the radish kid on fire

You told him he would be chief of radishes, Pi-card. Now I'm burning him alive. This is what happens when you gently caress with the Q continuum by making yourself a robot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wonder if they will ever mention what happened to Picard’s sister in law

She survived the fire that killed his brother and nephew but isn’t living at Chateau Picard for some reason

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MikeJF posted:

Looking back at the Enterprise bridge shots at the end of Season 2, the Ent bridge is similarly dark and the uniforms similarly bright but just the spot color provided by the red elements around the set make the uniforms fit so much better.

The accent colors really make the Enterprise pop. They just need to give the bridge some lights. I really hope they don't gently caress up Strange New Worlds. Give us some strange new worlds, not a season long plot arc where they have to save the galaxy but then hand wave it away because it would be weird that these massive events never were mentioned in any other show that takes place after it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HD DAD posted:

Alexander Siddig is still v handsome

God drat, he got way more handsome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if they will ever mention what happened to Picard’s sister in law

She survived the fire that killed his brother and nephew but isn’t living at Chateau Picard for some reason

Tbh she is probably just chilling somewhere else. I don’t think she ever knew Picard that well did she? he was somewhat estranged from his brother and spent most of his life doing space stuff a trillion miles away

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

The accent colors really make the Enterprise pop. They just need to give the bridge some lights. I really hope they don't gently caress up Strange New Worlds. Give us some strange new worlds, not a season long plot arc where they have to save the galaxy but then hand wave it away because it would be weird that these massive events never were mentioned in any other show that takes place after it.

The Enterprise bridge really only looks good by accident, I'd say (if that makes sense?). They're stuck with the accent colours because it would've had to look like the TOS bridge, so there's only so far they can take the design away from that. Having those constraints meant it actually landed at a decent design.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

I really want SNW to let up on the heavy arcs, so we really can just have an episode of “Pike and Spock fix the bread maker. Also space did a funny thing”.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Picard’s golem body is 100% organic, it just wasn’t literally grown from an embryo and aged 80 years. So when you take that info and the previously established existence of souls or whatever you want to call them in Star Trek, there’s literally no difference between Picard pre-death or post-death (beyond fixing the irumodic syndrome).

He’s the same exact dude with a new synthetically-grown body, and I do not get why the fandom keeps insisting he’s a different being now.

If he was the exact same dude he wouldn't have a new body with a copy of another person tossed in it with programmed artificial mortality, soul seems irrelevant even if magic ghosts are canon in-universe. Picard died and no matter how close fake-Picard is to the real deal, or how much of Picard's soul is in the new entity, it's a new being. Soji and fake-Picard both have equally valid memories of their lives growing up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Honestly, I think they need to just redo the Discovery bridge entirely. The massive size is causing problems now that they're going to the secondary crew members more often, there's just too much space between them all, they can never easily have a crewmember and the captain in a shot or pan from one to another gracefully because the space in between is just cavernous. I think that everyone around the edge of the bridge was meant to stay nameless when they originally designed it so they spaced them away from the 'main character area' in the middle, but it's not working anymore.

And they're in a new era with a totally new much brighter Starfleet aesthetic, now's as good a time as any.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 6, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MikeJF posted:

The new uniforms didn't really feel right off the bat for me in the trailer, and I think it's that they're too bright for the ultra dark-with-blue-neon-and-no-other-colors Discovery sets. They'd fit fine if it was brighter and more like any other Trek series, but on Disco they just kinda clash.

Also, they look impossibly saturated and it feels like someone's cranked the colors in postprocessing to levels that you wouldn't see in reality.

Looking back at the Enterprise bridge shots at the end of Season 2, the Ent bridge is similarly dark and the uniforms similarly bright but just the spot color provided by the red elements around the set make the uniforms fit so much better.

The Discovery bridge: just a lot of empty space

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

The new uniforms didn't really feel right off the bat for me in the trailer, and I think it's that they're too bright for the ultra dark-with-blue-neon-and-no-other-colors Discovery sets. They'd fit fine if it was brighter and more like any other Trek series, but on Disco they just kinda clash.

Also, they look impossibly saturated and it feels like someone's cranked the colors in postprocessing to levels that you wouldn't see in reality.

Why is the left side of the jacket longer than the right at the bottom? The asymmetrical cut is bothering the poo poo out of me.

Cojawfee posted:

Someone involved with Strange New Worlds, I think it may have been Anson Mount, said that it's going to be much more of an episodic show, as opposed to being arc-driven.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Extremely nerdy complaint about the Lower Decks trailer: apparently whoever's doing the FX doesn't know how running lights are meant to work.

(I think they hosed it up on the Titan last season too, actually)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 6, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I think they need to just redo the Discovery bridge entirely. The massive size is causing problems now that they're going to the secondary crew members more often, there's just too much space between them all, they can never easily have a crewmember and the captain in a shot or pan from one to another gracefully because the space in between is just cavernous. I think that everyone around the edge of the bridge was meant to stay nameless when they originally designed it so they spaced them away from the 'main character area' in the middle, but it's not working anymore.

And they're in a new era with a totally new much brighter Starfleet aesthetic, now's as good a time as any.

Yeah, you can tell what the original intent was once you've seen a few scenes on the bridge; Focus on the command chair, the front consoles, and any time you're looking at Weapons or the science stations you've (theoretically) got a bunch of extras and consoles behind that providing background noise. The problem is it does not work because they'd just be a distraction at best or add nothing to the scene. The worst part is they're generally more interesting than what's in the foreground (ie; Airiam and Octopus Head). When someone's yelling shields are down to X percent you shouldn't be looking at the octopus-head girl behind them to see what they're doing.

When you get to the wide shots, the room is definitely loving massive just to achieve those shots. A set that size should consist of multiple small focal setpieces rather than just be BIG, because the only real one on Discovery is the Captain's Chair. As an example, take a look at the CIC in Battlestar Galactica in comparison; The room is also loving massive, and it's filled with people manning consoles to infer a "WW2 Bunker" design with everyone running manual jobs in the background, but there's various places a scene can take place that's not just the central table. You can hold a scene at Dee's console or walking around the upper balcony area, or the small tactical area, without having to involve anything else in the room.

The Enterprise's bridge is another good set in comparison; The Captain's Chair is the single focal point of the room, but the size of the room is built so any time they're talking to someone's station it's very easy to compose a shot between the Captain and that specific station, with room for background filler details coming from the consoles. And you could use those consoles to reinforce what's being said as well (eg; oh no, blinky red areas over a picture of Enterprise where the shields are weak/down!).

Timby posted:

Why is the left side of the jacket longer than the right at the bottom? The asymmetrical cut is bothering the poo poo out of me.

The Delta Shield. I think the base design probably comes from the "Future Starfleet" design from around the TNG era (the one in All Good Things).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I vaguely remember one of the pitches for TNG was going to be a training ship with a holographic captain, so it's interesting to see that idea revived. Also interesting that the ECH is still in the Voyager uniform and not something more modern. It'd be nice if they roll out the Lower Decks uniforms for the crew.

Speaking of, very excited to see Lower Decks season 2 & 3, of course. I guess they're keeping the new security chief under wraps. It looks like the Pakleds are back, though!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yvonmukluk posted:

I vaguely remember one of the pitches for TNG was going to be a training ship with a holographic captain, so it's interesting to see that idea revived. Also interesting that the ECH is still in the Voyager uniform and not something more modern. It'd be nice if they roll out the Lower Decks uniforms for the crew.

I think that may be the only starfleet uniform we see for at least a season

At least, on the main cast

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's a nice detail that the Macduff is from the original run of Miranda-class ships, going by the registry, so obviously it's got a Shakespearean name.

Also looks like it's running from Species 8472?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Perhaps it's an alien ship in disguise...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doctor Nutt posted:

If you told me that the photo on the left was Bashir in the new season of Picard and he's a gritty section 31 operative who says "gently caress" now, I would believe you.

Bashir absolutely should not be in Section 31.

Section 31 is awful and should never be written about again anyway.

The Bloop posted:

I mean I'm just making poo poo up off the cuff but there are ad hoc science flavored explanations possible for these one-off instances of the writers not giving a poo poo or whatever they are. As someone else mentioned, Thomas Riker also seems to prove that the transporter can duplicate whatever a soul is, which makes it seem not much like a soul at all.

Given past precedent, IMO Thomas Riker does not violate conservation of souls:

• TOS Mirror Mirror shows that under certain unusual conditions, the transporter can spontaneously send people between parallel universes.
  • TNG Parallels shows that there are numerous parallel universes, not just the evil funhouse ~~*~mirror universe~*~~.
  • Geordi and Data are not infallible and their interpretation of the sensor data as "the original transporter beam got reflected back and created a copy" could very well be wrong.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Honestly "lol the transporter is a murder machine" is no longer a novel heterodox reading and tediously insisting on reading that into a setting where FTL is real comes across like some Usenet dork arguing over the rules for determining whether the Enterprise could beat up an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also regarding Discovery S4, let's be honest, a shitload of people here were expecting The Burn to be related to Michael Burnham and it wasn't, so I'm not terribly sold on the worst-case speculation of the gravity storm or whatever being a terrible story that consumes the entire season.

Discovery's been getting better with each season and I hope that it continues that trend. (probably helps a lot they didn't have to change showrunners mid-season, again)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think properly functioning transporters kill and I don't think souls exist in Trek or otherwise. Not the way most people mean that word at least.

There's definitely more evidence consistent with souls in Trek than irl, I'll certainly grant that!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Given past precedent, IMO Thomas Riker does not violate conservation of souls:

• TOS Mirror Mirror shows that under certain unusual conditions, the transporter can spontaneously send people between parallel universes.
  • TNG Parallels shows that there are numerous parallel universes, not just the evil funhouse ~~*~mirror universe~*~~.
  • Geordi and Data are not infallible and their interpretation of the sensor data as "the original transporter beam got reflected back and created a copy" could very well be wrong.
Counterpoint: Thomas Riker proves the conservation of souls, because if Will Riker had one he'd have gone to fight for the oppressed peoples of the Demilitarised Zone too, but he didn't, so he doesn't. Q.E.D.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's also no reason a new soul could not be birthed under such circumstances. Making a new soul isn't hard, if you believe in such things.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Making a new soul isn't hard, if you believe in such things.

It's literally an act of God to many

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"Thomas Riker" is actually a parasitic twin that the transporter error separated from William Riker and extrapolated him as a fully matured human, filling in the gaps with the William Riker pattern.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also regarding Discovery S4, let's be honest, a shitload of people here were expecting The Burn to be related to Michael Burnham and it wasn't, so I'm not terribly sold on the worst-case speculation of the gravity storm or whatever being a terrible story that consumes the entire season.

Discovery's been getting better with each season and I hope that it continues that trend. (probably helps a lot they didn't have to change showrunners mid-season, again)
True they managed to not make the cause about her. They did make the solution about her because it seems in 80 years she's the only person who thought to check the black boxes of destroyed ships.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Khanstant posted:

If he was the exact same dude he wouldn't have a new body with a copy of another person tossed in it with programmed artificial mortality, soul seems irrelevant even if magic ghosts are canon in-universe. Picard died and no matter how close fake-Picard is to the real deal, or how much of Picard's soul is in the new entity, it's a new being. Soji and fake-Picard both have equally valid memories of their lives growing up.

There are two possibilities:
  1. Souls exist. If the new body has the original soul then it's the same person, otherwise it isn't.
  2. Souls don't exist. Individual identity is socially constructed and there is no meaningful difference between an "original" and a "copy". They're both the "real" person if they think of themself that way and are treated as such.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tiggum posted:

There are two possibilities:
  1. Souls exist. If the new body has the original soul then it's the same person, otherwise it isn't.
  2. Souls don't exist. Individual identity is socially constructed and there is no meaningful difference between an "original" and a "copy". They're both the "real" person if they think of themself that way and are treated as such.
Possibility 3: only the chosen most special favourite species of the creators have souls, but nobody is clear on which species that is.
It's the Vulcans, obviously.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arquinsiel posted:

Counterpoint: Thomas Riker proves the conservation of souls, because if Will Riker had one he'd have gone to fight for the oppressed peoples of the Demilitarised Zone too, but he didn't, so he doesn't. Q.E.D.

Look, if going to bat for the Maquis is a dividing line between having a soul or not, then fuckin' put me down under the soulless minions of orthodoxy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

socialsecurity posted:

True they managed to not make the cause about her. They did make the solution about her because it seems in 80 years she's the only person who thought to check the black boxes of destroyed ships.

No, they really didn’t. Burnham investigating kickstarts the plot, but the entire resolution is brought about by Saru, Culber, and Adira.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No, they really didn’t. Burnham investigating kickstarts the plot, but the entire resolution is brought about by Saru, Culber, and Adira.

True, but by that point the show has completely forgotten why solving the Burn is important (and never really tries to pick that up) and the real finale is Burnham shooting Oryssa to end the Emerald Chain. Because it turned out that violence was the answer all along.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Alchenar posted:

True, but by that point the show has completely forgotten why solving the Burn is important (and never really tries to pick that up) and the real finale is Burnham shooting Oryssa to end the Emerald Chain. Because it turned out that violence was the answer all along.

Violence is not the answer.
Violence is the question and the answer is yes.

Also that trailer looks doubling down on idiocy of star trek: burnham.
WIll still watch it all.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

True she only discovered the place and lead them there and then left the rest to them so she could go save the federation and destroy a galaxy wide criminal enterprise by shooting their leader.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

socialsecurity posted:

True she only discovered the place and lead them there and then left the rest to them so she could go save the federation and destroy a galaxy wide criminal enterprise by shooting their leader.

The only reason she didn't resolve it personally is probably because they couldn't contrive it in the script. So, uh... Saru's the next best thing to a main character, Culber's had some screentime and Adira's the new Wesley of the show so we've gotta get them in somehow... *scribbles notes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Bloop posted:

It's literally an act of God to many

It's the act of anyone who can reproduce.