Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New shows are now distributed by CBS and streaming on CBS All Access (US), Amazon (UK), Netflix (UK), and others (you international folks will have to help me out here).

Picard is on Amazon in Australia, where as Discovery and all the old shows are on Netflix - who knows if season 3 will jump to Amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

I think that's where it's going to go, but to me some of the greatest part of the idealism of Star Trek is that we might somehow make it to wisdom as a civilisation working together. That acts of idealism and morality aren't necessarily limited to heroes and individuals and small-scale stories, but something that we could collectively achieve together. Cast off the cynical idea that society must be a crushing, corrupted amoral machine dragging all of us down which must be defied if we want to do right, and instead present the idea that together we could build a civilisation to be proud of, one that could face times of darkness and struggle through while keeping ahold of its values and fight off the parts of itself that want to compromise them.

The idea that idealism isn't something that can survive except on small scales as individual acts, that the collective whole will end up falling to selfishness, is itself something I'd consider pretty sad and grim.

100%, my dude

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Disagree, problems all start and stop with the producers.

100%, my dude

HD DAD posted:

I’ve said it before, but Disco excels when it’s just being Weird As Hell™, as opposed to attempting some kind of epic, melodramatic tale.

Like, when the ship half-phased into mushroom space to revive a dead guy? Give me an IV of that poo poo straight into my veins.

I hold this up as the best episode of both seasons (some really clunky pacing aside) because it had a solid emotional core for the key players and a traditional structure of teaser, a "work the problem" and pay off that wasn't completely asinine or undercutting the supposed theme of the episode (looking at you, New Eden).

Now was it an exceptional story in the context of trek, sci fi or TV in general? I don't think so, no. But it did show that Discovery can have smaller arcs, built off previous plot developments and with lasting effects on the continuing narrative while being it's own self contained story.

I think its strength is not necessarily because it was "weird as hell", since in the grand scheme of wacky trek poo poo, a plot of rescuing a crewmember from an extremely alien consciousness via diplomacy doesn't even crack top ten, but that it had an internal logic to problem at hand and emotional relevancy for the characters involved. That's the lesson I'd hope they'd learn from it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

Well he's not going to be the showrunner for season 2, but he's remaining on as EP.

I haven't read anything about his departure, but that wouldn't be unexpected even if it was on bad terms.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I gotta say though, I am excited for Picard. If for nothing else than its moving into uncharted territory. I have major reservations about a lot of the creatives behind it, but at the same time anything is possible. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery is fine if you don’t go in determined to hate it, hth.

These threads routinely recognize that the first ~30-40 episodes of almost every Star Trek series are the weakest. Discovery has only done 29 episodes thus far and has had to deal with a revolving door of creatives and showrunners, including a creator that delayed the series by an entire year over stupid loving costuming choices before being unceremoniously fired. Discovery will be fine once it has a stable creative team behind it for an entire season.

TNG only got better because viewers rightly criticised what sucked about it, hth.

DS9 too, although I think that was a lot stronger out of the gate.

The internet being what it is is just an unfortunate reality that all shows have to deal with these days. The extreme poles of racist/misogynist dipshits and fawning YouTube fandom parasites aside, there's a fair amount of criticism that the writing just isn't doing it for folks. I hope they can address that in season 3 too because they've got a great cast, but drat it they still need to know.

I think the backlash to something like GoT is fascinating in that it's almost universally aimed in the right direction. I don't know if that's progress, but man it's a hell of thing to see writers on the hook where usually it's actors baring the bront of it as the visible face of the show.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 21, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HD DAD posted:

The same is happening to Disco. Season 2 was largely a reaction to season 1 criticism.

Hey credit where it's due, there were some steps taken. But it was a 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of deal for me.

e: and yes I know I'm speaking in "writing bad" generalities, but if anyone feels like self harming and wants specifics they can go back and read my thoughts in more detail in the old thread.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 21, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: off topic, retracted

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 22, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drone posted:

John de Lancie as an old-rear end version of Q is gonna be an interesting shoehorn.

That's easy, you just have him "aged" to mock Picard.

Data is the harder one, dude looks like they pumped his face full of saline.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, my biggest issue with the Disco theme, or the music that plays over the opening, anyway, is that it fails the whistle test. You can't whistle or hum it. There's no melody.

To quote myself from last time this came up, re: the opening titles

quote:

A series of unconnected Star Trek references set to musical wallpaper that's sprinkled with familiar echoes but never actually develops into its own melody.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Timby posted:

Doesn't change the fundamental flaw, in that the Crossfield class is based on McQuarrie's rejected Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans, and it's loving awful.

The ship grew on me. But who's got that gif where someone TOS'd it up a bit? That was much better.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

This one?

Honestly, even putting the TOS-ificiation aside, the secondary hull being a V shape is just much better in terms of overall look.

Maybe? I thought they left the pizza cutter saucer section, but that's probably it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

Eh, probably a different one, there's a billion of them.

No it was that one, a reverse image search turned up the gif I was thinking of.

Looks much nicer in motion.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

pyrotek posted:

Does this even count as spoiler? Supposedly they just use the TNG theme, no changes.

Edit: They should have the credit sequence should be the same as TNG, but with Picard's face in place of the Enterprise.

Does anybody know why there aren't any reviews for Picard? Is it embargoed, or did they not screen it for critics? I don't remember what they did with critics for Discovery season 1.

You can get a one month instead of one week CBS All Access trial until the 27th with promo code JANUARY.

Yeah it has a "mixed" rating on imdb so I assumed reviews were out but it's just people who've seen it and liked it (lot of 10/10s, so take that with a grain of salt. I can count the number of perfect score shows on one hand) and straight up poo poo for brains who haven't seen it giving it zero stars because Stewart's an America hating communist. So basically no useful info yet.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well if you throw out all the 10s and 1s it looks good. You could even throw out the 9s.

Yup, which is why I still have hope. Hence:

Lizard Combatant posted:

I gotta say though, I am excited for Picard. If for nothing else than its moving into uncharted territory. I have major reservations about a lot of the creatives behind it, but at the same time anything is possible. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Actually I just went back and checked out the imdb reviews, aside from the couple of 10s and 1s there's a single review from someone who's actually seen the show. It's a positive review at least...

e:

Tighclops posted:

Is there actually anybody around here that doesn't want to be pleasantly surprised? I mean I thought it went without saying

You'd certainly hope so. But you still get the occasional poster drop a "you just want this to be bad" take so I guess that's where the defensiveness comes from.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 22, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Well this is extremely frustrating, it's Jan 24 here and it's still not up. I hate these staggered releases, just dump it everywhere at once.
Guess I'll have to explore other options.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kidkissinger posted:

Where in the world are you that it's the 24th???

Not "where" Mr Kissinger, but "when".

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 23, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Well that was alright, wasn't it?

There's a few groaners in it, but that's just personal taste as to what I find fresh and exciting vs a bit played out.

Pretty show, nice music and overall it was very sweet.

I worry that they're setting themselves up for a lot of nonsense intrigue and reveals, but... hey I'm keen to see more.

Bruce Maddox? Now that's a deep cut that I can get behind. Legitimately one of the great potential threads from the show they left open.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

pyrotek posted:

Bruce Maddox has a theory that Data's entire code, including of his memory can be reconstituted from a single positron neuron? OK... that seems like a stretch.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that's not what they literally meant, but more just that they can reverse engineer the tech from it

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kidkissinger posted:

"enhance... enhance... enhance..."

You've lost me, sorry

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

pyrotek posted:

Reviews of the first three episodes suggest exactly that.

I mean, that's no feat of prediction for anything from some of the folks involved. Just this one time I'd like to be wrong please.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

I can't wait to watch this, all these black blocks of spoiler are too tempting.

Check back in when you do, I specifically wanted to ask you what you thought about ligma

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drone posted:

The Daystrom Institute character is pretty cool too and I already know more about her after one episode than I do about like half of the Discovery regulars.

That was a really nice character introduction and Pill nailed it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Yeah Boston survived but at least they managed to wipe New Zealand off the map pretty early on. So swings and roundabouts.

Jk, should have been Australia

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

teacup posted:

Is there an official word on when this hits Australian amazon prime?

All it said was the 24th, I assumed that meant midnight since it was already out elsewhere.

The delay is completely arbitrary and stupid, so I had no qualms pirating it. I've paid for the episode via my subscription, but if they want my metrics they need to release the drat thing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So far not one person in this thread has panned this or even said "meh," not even Tighclops. This bodes well.

Also the imdb ratings for episode one dayum...

Because it's a classic car with a nice paint respray at the moment.

You hope that it's just to freshen it up and make it shiny and fun again, but it could just as easily be hiding a rot that won't reveal itself for a little while.

I can see the trajectory for it to all go bad so easily, every bit of plot they've teased so far is on a knife's edge of becoming tired cliche or the nonsensical, plotty mess Kurtzman and co are known for.

But hey, let's see what's out there.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Binary Logic posted:

Not gonna be the first to criticize because I loved every minute of it.
Gasp! No, really? ;)

Binary Logic posted:

Anyone in this thread watch Treadstone?
The scene with Dahj and her bf chilling in their apartment and then "She's activating!" was really similar to Treadstone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaAa_Pw6m-M

Yeah that's a really common trope by this point, one that we've seen in countless stories and one of the groaner moments of the show. If a 2019 Jason Bourne show is your first exposure to it though, let me be the first to welcome you to planet earth Mr Ambassador.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 23, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I liked the Golden Gate Bridge turned into a solar farm.

Masses of flying cars? Is that from the JJ Trek movies? Why when you have transporters.

No synthectics, but isn't that AI assistant the same thing with no body? You'd think they'd outlaw all AI as an "evil" AI in computers could do more damage than robots running around.

It's a fuzzy distinction that they also hand waved around in Mass Effect with the concept of Virtual Intelligence vs AI.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

Why would anyone on earth shop at a ferengi establishment

Baller fashion?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone else get the sense that Stewart's just playing himself here? I don't really see Picard.

He's definitely lost that reserved front he had, but whether that's an intentional progression of the character or not I'm not sure yet.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

large_gourd posted:

In All Good Things, PIcard had lost that reserve too. He was quick to anger and a bit out of it, I think because he had some kind of disease which there's been no mention of in this, but yeah I think it's fine that he's a bit different. It's been over 20 years since Nemesis in this, and people change when they get old.

His accent is a bit different, I think that's the main thing showing up on people's radar. He's using more of his natural accent than the adopted upper class English he did in TNG. Not all of it, but it's there.

I think you're right on the accent, good spot there. I thought it wasn't far off his all good things future persona, but there was something a little off.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Binary Logic posted:

"Do you really believe that there's some stored up conflict that exists between us? There is no us. We don't exist. So who do you wanna hit, man? It's not me. Now whaddya wanna do here, man?"

Whoah, I'm feeling personally Cusack'd right now.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

In the Expanse, which I assume everyone itt watches but I shall spoil it nevertheless Mars is a powerful colony which had built a planetary identity and moral ethic around terraforming, seeing it as building something for their grandchildren. Moses seeing but not going to the promised land so to speak. So when they find all these extra-solar and easily reached habitable worlds due to alien magic, it utterly bodies the Martians, just sucks the character and purpose out of the colony, because why waste all this time and effort, why suffer so to build a habitable world 2, 3, 400 years down the line when you can just go thorugh the gates to a nice, pre-terraformed world. So while it's never really stated that way, it seems like the same dynamic would make sense in the ST universe, and really any universe in which FTL travel + galactic colonization is invented before Mars can be terraformed

That was one of my favorite bits of the most recent season too. The Expanse does social/institutional story really well.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HD DAD posted:

I’d spend 80 hours a week transporting to mexican restaurants around the world to eat their free chips and salsa but not order anything else

Joke's on you idiot, it's all free.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Seriously? They're clearly establishing that something catastrophic has happened to the collective and the displaced Romulans have salvaged a derelict cube. It's what's known as a "teaser" for coming plot threads.

Said plot may indeed turn out to be dumb, but it's pretty clear what happening in that scene.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Mad About Cube

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drone posted:

Mad About Hugh

You're not gonna like my NYPD Hugh sketch, it's pretty much the same thing.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lapsang Souchong is the correct choice, warrior's drink.

"Russian Caravan" if you buying it as tea bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What kind of poker are they playing in the opening scene of Picard? I've been wanting to learn more variations of poker and I've never seen one where the players asks for cards

5 Card Draw.

The simplest variant where you can discard and replace any of your cards to make the best hand.

e: beaten.

5 Card Stud is another fun one that they play in TNG too

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 25, 2020