Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you would like to quote this post!

I would definitely like to experience Bij!

MikeJF posted:

Well her backstory is that she's served on a bunch of ships, caused problems, got busted down and this assignment is her mum pulling strings to give her a last chance, but yeah, it's also incredibly unhealthy.

In current-day militaries, are you allowed to be in the direct chain of command of your immediate family? Seems like that would be a bad idea all around. I seem to recall something like the US Navy no longer allows siblings to serve on the same ship at the same time. Does that apply to parents/children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Mental Hospitality posted:

The two other Starfleet ships patrolling space will be a Miranda and Excelsior class.

Dunno if I missed some dialogue or something but how are there even Starfleet ships around? Are they also all crewed by guys that have been doing it for 40 years only because their dads did it too?

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

My take on this season is that the overall tone and feel of the show is much better than previous seasons, the stories being told feel much more like Star Trek. At the same time though none of the details make a lick of sense and it's obvious the writers didn't bother to think through the implications of any part of the world they're building so neither should you. After the first two episodes of the season I've found it much more enjoyable to watch the latest couple with that mindset.

I still hate mystery box tv though and I really hope SNW doesn't end up with an overarching season mystery plot thread too.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

T.C. posted:

It feels really awkward to have everyone saying 'your number one' and 'my number one' in every possible context.

I always thought number one was Picard's thing and everyone else would say first officer.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Raged posted:

Also why the gently caress did they keep the bridge crew in a regular room surrounded by a stack of chairs like they were an impenetrable barrier?

I'm assuming they didn't want to spend the budget (re?)building a brig set so they got lazy and reused the ready room one.

Speaking of that scene, am I the only one wondering who budget Lt Nilsson is and where she came from, and what happened to the old one?

Also wonder what Jet Reno has been up to the whole time.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Nilsson lives!!

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Every federation engineer is a savant.

Those famous Starfleet engineers that can turn rocks into replicators...

It feels like the writers have a list of specific plot beats they want to hit and they're going to get there regardless of whether the steps in between make any sense in the context of the wider universe of the franchise, or even previous parts of their own show. It reminds me of FPS video games where the developers have vague ideas of awesome set piece action levels, and string you along from set piece to set piece with the flimsiest nonsensical plot to tie the game together.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I don't like Gray in the show right now only because the character doesn't do anything this season or have any relevance to any plot and barely even interaction with any other character than Adira up until this episode's Culber chat.

His scenes just feel totally disconnected from the rest of the show, like there's a gripping (or not, depending on how you feel about it) plot and action scenes happening... and let's just cut for a 5 minute break about a dead ghost Trill's need for a body... and ok back to the episode now.

Adira themself has a role to play in the story and things to do, I just have absolutely no idea what Gray is supposed to be bringing to the show right now or where the character is going.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

The amount of disrespect to Rhys, totally an actual character in this show, going on in this thread right now...

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

That was miles better than anything in season 1. My only super minor plot-related gripe: other than dramatic tension for the cold open, why was Picard the one that activates the self destruct on someone else's ship? Doesn't really make sense they'd transfer the command codes around every time some high schmuckety schmuck admiral decides to visit for a couple days.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Has it been said anywhere if they're going to mention the Eugenics Wars or the Bell Riots or any of the established Star Trek 21st century history, or if they're gonna hand wave it all for writing convenience and say Q's snap conveniently made history turn out exactly like our real world?

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

Has anyone involved with the visual design commented on why nu trek has abandoned beam weapons in favor of lame pew pew lasers?

I think it's yet another instance of Trek aping other modern sci-fi rather than being the trend setter. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason was that everyone knows lasers go pew pew so our lasers have to go pew pew as well. Although I was pleasantly surprised to see bubble shields on Picard.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

The more episodes go by the more I feel that this season is merely ok. It's still leaps and bounds better than season 1, but I still don't think it's particularly good. Not a big fan of everyone having 21st century style dialogue, I miss the stilted theatre-ish way of talking of the old treks.

The plot is also moving at an absolutely glacial pace. If you asked me to summarize what a couple of the characters were up to in this episode, all I could come up with is, Raffi and Seven spend 45 minutes driving around in a Ford Product Placement.

Lastly this season has made me finally realize how much I hate mystery-based storytelling and it's a colossal tragedy that it's infected every single modern live action Star Trek season up until now. I really hope SNW moves away from it but I'm not holding my breath.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

My hope for season 3 of Star Trek Picard is more Stars and more Trekking. I'm fine with the amount of Picard.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I do kinda hope that at some point they do an opposite episode showing why rules and regulations exist and are occasionally necessary because I worry that so many episodes in a row of "red tape and pesky bureaucrats are holding our plucky heroes down" is going to get misinterpreted by, let's say the segment of Star Trek fans that are bad with nuance.

Show's great though.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

Why are there so many bad haircuts in sci-fi shows right now? This show, Raised By Wolves, Halo.

There's definitely a hollywood script writing class out there somewhere teaching everyone that if you write for a genre show, everything has to look FROM THE FUTURE, including the hair.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I thought that kid actor was amazing, in both line delivery and facial expressions.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I wanna see Captain Kirk double-fist attack an SNW Gorn very, very much now.

I realize there's only one episode left but I really want to see SNW sneak in a double fist chop somewhere now.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

What got me was trying to pass it off as a great way to go and he clearly died doing what he loved.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

That's the biggest thing I can articulate when people ask me why I dislike Disco compared to old Trek. I was going through the Memory Alpha behind the scenes info for DS9, so many episodes came about because the writers were like "why don't we do an episode exploring what would happen if..."

The Disco writers' room isn't interested in exploring anything that isn't required to move the plot from A to B, and anything else is left behind and discarded. This is probably great if you're a plot-oriented tv watcher, but for me personally that's not why I watch Star Trek. I like the character studies and sci-fi morality stories, and Disco largely doesn't care about those, it just cares about moving the story forward.

I think it ties into the popular complaints about how the bridge crew are still cardboard cutouts 4 seasons in. They only ever get screen time when they have to say their 2.5 lines of backstory that just happen to relate to this week's plot, or when it's time to kill one of them off.

Caveat: I dropped the show this season after the episode where Tilly left so maybe this was all fixed.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Ignoring the actual content of the show, Picard would probably make a fascinating behind the scenes production documentary showing exactly how we ended up with the show we got.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Re: the returning character in Picard S3, the announcement from the actor was like "you will see my character again, but I won't tell you how". That leaves a lot of wiggle room, especially in the world of Star Trek. Could be a hologram, a clone, a duplicate, a flashback...

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Given how much of the show was affected by behind the scenes shenanigans, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why Raffi is the only cast member they kept is just because Michelle Hurd was the only one to negotiate a 3 season contract.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Are they under contractual obligation to make every season a mysterious unknown mystery? Is it impossible to write a 10 episode non-episodic show without resorting to mystery boxes?

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

From what I remember it wasn't until that episode or maybe the one after that I thought Lower Decks was doing anything more than just treading water. I definitely remember the season finale really hooking me though, so if you manage the finish the season and still aren't into it then it really just might not be your kind of show.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I have a friend who absolutely loves this season of Picard because all he wants is to have 45 minutes of nostalgia and references injected directly into his veins every week. He absolutely does not care about its quality as a TV show or piece of media. This week's episode will probably put him on a high he won't come down from for months.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Also was not-soji just a contract thing?

I've operated this whole time on the assumption that Michelle Hurd had the most competent agent and that's why she's the only one that stuck around in s3, because I definitely don't think it was a creative decision to keep her character given how much material she had to work with.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Not a big fan of the fight choreography this season, it doesn't feel particularly dynamic or exciting. I think I like my Star Trek action sequences to be starship battles or involve phasers, not fistfights. Unless they want to bring back double fist hammer chops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

hey Canadians, where the gently caress did Star Trek go, it was all on Crave...

It's on Paramount+, but they're rolling it out one series at a time over the course of the next month and a bit. I think right now only Disco, Picard, and SNW are available and supposedly everything will be moved over by the end of September.