Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery is fine if you don’t go in determined to hate it, hth.

I really wanted to like it, but just loving hated it after a few episodes. I couldn't even get through the first season, and what little I've seen of the second has not at all sold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

But instead it looks like Discovery is going with the Federation having splintered and fallen, with some technological regression so they can just erase any inconvient technologies. :shrug:

I come to start trek for the optimistic stories for the future like (checks notes) a collapsing, backwards fascist federation fighting to hold on the the scraps it has left

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Having seen the episode, I'm cautiously optimistic for future episodes. Certainly a better first episode than Discovery.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

He was channeling the old Picard during the interview. Especially the start of it.

But the character has had a lot happen to him in nearly 2 decades. It would be weird if he was the same man

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

skasion posted:

That was WAY better than any Disco episode, despite some clunky exposition and so-so dialogue and a surprising reliance on Nemesis. Might still collapse but they did some good work for themselves here.

I was a little surprised at how normal the Romulan servants/renters/aides/whatever were. It’s an interesting and imo good choice to portray average-Joe Romulans rather than the military men and women that have made up so much of their image. A lot of this depends on the two actors though who are both charming.

Alison Pill’s character seems like she could get lame fast.

Personal tiny nitpick: how is Dahj watching a live broadcast at night in Boston, of something happening during the day in France

It's a live interview of probably the most famous man in all of Star Fleet after his seclusion for a decade.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Have they ever explained why the Supernova didn't take years to impact other nearby systems at light speed?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

zoux posted:

Why terraform mars when you can go squat on a nice planet in the neutral zone

I believe Mars was colonized early in Earth's space exploration, even before they formed the Federation, when warp speeds were way slower.

Also, it's almost in transporter range of Earth so it's really convenient even now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Prophets on DS9 do not see time linearly and are very confused about beings that do. Everything has already happened, in their view.

Almost, everything is always happening from their perspective. All times are "now" to them like Dr. Manhattan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

As someone who likes all trek except Discovery (including Voy and Ent to certain extent) I've liked the first episode of Picard.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Try to understand DIS. Its a newborn in a darker age of internet and streaming.
They HAD TO do it action-filled and way less character development, or they would fail general audiences. Just try to be kind and find all these trek references and trivia, unanswered questions (previously, like why transporter pads exist) and you will find it enjoyable.

Nah, I gave it half of a season, there's better ways to spend my time.

Like rewatching the Expanse.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Red letter has a Re:View of Picard and boy they don't like it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

large_gourd posted:

There are some things.

Starfleet chose not to help the Romulans after their world was destroyed. I think in the RLM video they have a good point in this area that it would make more sense for Starfleet to have helped in some capacity even if they couldn't/wouldn't (for security reasons) devote all of their resources to it. They would have planned to make diplomatic inroads through the process, even looking at it cynically, and it's just the right thing to do. It seems more immoral and stupid to just ignore them.

RLM was just factually wrong here. It was stated (and in their cut aways it says this) that Picard did convince Starfleet to help and they were doing so until the synthetics attacked UP shipyards and destroyed both the shipyards and the evacuation fleet that was (presumably) being refit to handle large masses of refugees. It's not like cargo ships for ore have the life support to handle thousands of refugees.

After that, with the main shipyards for the Federation destroyed, most of the ships well suited for a massive evacuation gone, and the means to refit or build new ones out of commission for the foreseeable future, they called it off.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

So how are they reading that incorrectly?

After an unrelated attack (unrelated in the sense that the reporter and by extension the larger federation doesnt link the two at this point in time) the Federation doesn't believe using what ships they still have as a "good use of resources" because they're an old adversary, something which Picard considers abhorrent and he says so.

The text says that after suffering their own setback they abandoned giving any aid whatsoever.

I'm not saying that the Federation is in the right. But they devoted a pretty substantial amount of resources to the operation, including the use of the main military shipyard for the Federation for an extended time and tons of Federation and (presumably) Starfleet support vessels in addition to the civilian ones helping out. They were not just leaving the Romulus to their fate like RLM was saying.

It was only after the attack that destroyed pretty much all the resources they were willing to devote to the operation that they abandoned it.

Now they probably should have still done what they could, but they also can't be entirely faulted for not wanting to take other shipyards offline to refit even more civilian or even defense vessels and weaken their readiness to handle incursions, especially if the public are really not happy after losing thousands or even millions of people in the Sol system to the attack.

Don't forget too that the Federation had a sudden crisis on Earth's doorstop both for the people living on Mars and possible attacks on Earth itself, or the attack could have been an attempt to weaken the Federation borders by getting them to pull stuff out to take over the rescue mission.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

That might have been all the Federation was sending, right. ~150 member worlds, a 10,000 ship rescue fleet is 10-100 ships per member world. Earth would be a natural staging area for a fleet headed to Romulan space since it's in the Beta Quadrant.

They were also (presumably) being refitted at UP to handle large swaths of refugees since passenger liners or cargo haulers probably don't have the life support systems to handle evacuating millions of people.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Discovery was mostly just "and they have this really cool technology that does this" without thinking anything of it. Then someone realizes "oh poo poo, that didn't exist in TOS and our show takes place right before that." The solution was always "Wow, turns out that technology really sucked rear end, and the federation never used it again." They probably decided to throw them into the future so they could finally do cool poo poo without having to constantly worry about "BUT KIRK NEVER HAD THAT!"

It was really dumb.

Honestly, one of the things I liked most about Enterprise was the LIMITS on their tech. They created tension when you had to use shuttle pods to ferry around crew and couldn't teleport people out of bad situations, or had limited weapons that were far inferior to those you encountered.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wasn't lower decks that thing where Bob from Bob's burgers was killed by tribbles after his supervisor tried to transfer him off ship for making completely normal requests, and it was all played as if it was a comedy.

Or am I thinking of short trek?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Outside of comics/books there's nothing other then the first episode of Picard.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gohmak posted:

Wasn’t Romulan Space comparable to the Federation in territory? Did the Super Nova destroy all of their systems? 900 million seems like a low number even for one planet. This writing blows.

No, not really. Federation space has always been substantially bigger than any of the other Alpha/Beta quadrant players from TNG onwards. Note the blue to the far east separated by the Klingons is also part of the Federation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I did chuckle at the "5124 days since the last assimilation" sign in the cube staging area.

Which, interestingly, lines up just right with the Mars attack.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

I liked that too. But I think it's definitely deep space in Romulan territory. The idea that the Borg don't try to retrieve it is a little iffy, but who cares. We don't know what state they're in.

We've seen Borg abandon defective drones in the past.

Given how much Janeway hosed up unimatrix 01 with her pathogen it's pretty feasible that the collective adapted by more quickly cutting off ships or drones not acting normally

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Retrowave Joe posted:

There was. She was on the left side right as they were entering the gray zone.

I think she had half of a traditional cut. It kind of looked like the left side was cropped really short.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The borg being like 30 years old don't make any sense. How'd they get to the delta quadrant and build a massive empire?

Freed drones like Picard, 7, etc should know the borgs history and would know if they were a new thing created by the romulans.

Also the Borg ship released from the artic ice in Enterprise made its transmission to the delta quadrant, not Romulan space.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 2, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I took those to be welding or boring tools.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

Turn on your monitor.

Actually, everyone turn on your monitors.

???

It was hung up with other tools.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

You're still justifying in universe politics. What is the show (ie, the writers/directors) trying to convey here with their characterisation of the Admiral, the music, camera framing, language, the choice of having Picard himself being on the opposing side?

You say that, but the scene directly preceding this one has Picard walking up to the front desk and expecting to have everyone recognize him and let him in. It was a subversion of his expectation in the receptionist asking his name and where he's from that indicated that Picard may be too full of himself.

As others have indicated Picard brought no evidence to the meeting and simply expected to be handed a ship and crew with him daining to accept a demotion because he's so generous. Even with that presumptuousness of Picard's part, the admiral still followed up with Starfleet intelligence about the matter he brought to her attention despite no evidence at all being presented.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

adaz posted:

also in a world where transproters and no shields exist why dont the hit squads just transport them into outer space or the ocean or some poo poo.

I relaly do like Picard but there have been some lazy as gently caress writing so far

How does the transporter operator know which 3 to beam up when they say that over comms

As a wise man once said, "if you're wondering how they eat and breath, and other science facts, just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So what was the point of the Queen's chamber? Seven and Legolas's whole time in there was utterly pointless.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This honestly seems like really lazy writing. Haven't there been entire synthetic life form societies that have been discovered in other series in the prime timeline.

I'm almost certain Voyager encountered at least one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Vehementi posted:

I hated the ship fighting in this episode. Star trek has been about phasers and torpedos that computers aim, not having to point my stupid ship at the enemy ship in 3d space before I can get a firing solution ugh

The Defiant, Klingon Birds of Prey have forward firing pulse cannons. Dominion ships have narrow arc beam phasers. Needing to point the ship at the enemy is not at all a new thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Did they replicate some logs to start a fire just outside of the ship instead of using the holodeck???

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm very glad the show didn't end with a firefight.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hey remember when Dr. Agnes Jurati murdered Dr. Maddox in cold blood. Glad that got resolved satisfactorily.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is the Kobayashi Maru test in the mirror universe impossible to fail, but Kirk cheated and found a way to anyway?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What do people think of Lower Decks? I saw some folks in another thread singing its praises, but I'd written it off as Rick and Morty garbage having not seen it at all.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, a bunch of non-Vulcans have done it dating back to TNG.

Data also uses it a number of times in TNG.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I just finished watching Lower Decks and it was... okay? It wasn't aggressively bad like I was expecting. Certainly the best modern Star Trek in the prime universe I've seen, though that's a really low bar to clear.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So I watched half of season 1 and none of season 2 and decided to give this show one last try. Is there a reason the discovery needed to travel 900 years into the future to stop people from getting access to some amorphous knowledge instead of just blowing up the ship or chucking it into a black hole?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

The amorphous knowledge controls the ship and wouldn't allow itself to be destroyed, but was okay with time travel.

That thing was inside of the dumb anime space suit then I assume?

Why didn’t they just let it go into the future by itself? Is there any reason at all whatsoever that they had to go there with it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm on episode 3 of season 3 now and they really have not covered at all why none of the other warp techs that the federation has built or encountered over the centuries were not suitable substitutes for dilithium.

Starfleet, in the 24th century, has access to the Borg transwarp network (which was used by Voyager to get home), there's the Slipstream drive from Voyager which they used to travel something like 10 years of distance in a few hours.

There's the various other techs uses by aliens. Romulans use quantum black holes to power their warp cores, not dilithium. And probably numerous one-off aliens who have different techs.

None of these were suitable replacements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Something that's also not making sense to me at the start of the season here three episodes in is why no state bounced back from all of the dilithium in active warp cores going critical. It's clearly not the case that all dilithium everywhere was destroyed. Stuff that was still in the ground and not mined was intact and still able to be used hundreds of years later.

Even if the citizens of the federation were not willing to risk themselves in ships that could blow up at any instant, that doesn't mean that the benefits of warp travel wouldn't make it easily worthwhile to a civilization that cared less about people manning ships that might blow up at any instant.

I don't see why a civilization that's willing to use slave labor or AI to man their ships wouldn't happily continue manufacturing and outfitting warp capable ships from newly mined dilithium. And that Civilization should be the hegemon of the former federation territory.