Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Gonz posted:

Stealth Dixon Hill movie incoming.

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1291910751062564872

Lotta racial slurs, extreme violence and cussing, i’d imagine.

gently caress me silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Below Decks is a less zany Rick and Morty in the Trek universe with like a dollop of Mission Hill thrown in.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Also, Commander Ransom is the best character in Lower Decks and possibly any Trek.

"In thousands of simulations that has literally never happened before. Let’s try another one, on a ship with even MORE children!"

And then he double-fist punches a giant to submission. He IS Starfleet, just as Riker was originally written to be the model Starfleet officer.

Gotta say, I'm really enjoying the show more and more. Just enough heart and classic-TNG story trope BS to make it endearing.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was fully expecting Commander Ransom to eat poo poo in the trial by combat.

I like that the Mary Sue outcomes of the Upper Decks is still canon. They can't lose.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"That guy's like a Kirk sundae with Trip Tucker sprinkles!"

This is Star Trek. This is the truest, Trekiest thing in a loving decade. Comedy is tighter than The Orville too.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

MadJackal posted:

"That guy's like a Kirk sundae with Trip Tucker sprinkles!"

This is Star Trek. This is the truest, Trekiest thing in a loving decade. Comedy is tighter than The Orville too.

I swear on my very soul that I took the screenshot and posted the above before this happened:

I adore this show.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Tiggum posted:

They literally told you in advance that that was about to happen though? Did you actually not see that coming?

I did not foresee the show committing to a 5 second bit of expensive animation of an alien gruesomely biting off a Starfleet officer's head on Deep Space 9, no.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Mal-3 posted:

Treknology nerds Trekyards scored an interview with LDS showrunner Mike McMahan, asking a bunch of questions about the Cerritos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_EOXmo5m3E

I loving knew it was based off the janky-rear end Cerritos Auto Square.

It's synonymous in my LA-born brain as "Used Car Junkyard."

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The idea that the showrunner gives a poo poo about shuttle bays and "special abilities" of a show-specific class of ship is exactly why this show is true classic Trek.

Also, for what it's worth, the company that did the VBros (RIP) tshirts, is doing a similar episode-specific line of shirts this season.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Another funny episode of LDS. I laughed out loud a bunch!

Look at me go, taking joy at watching something instead of spending a lot of effort trying to convince everyone else to hate something they enjoy. Go me.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Correnth posted:

re: this week's Lower Decks, I feel like everybody's sleeping on what I thought was the best gag on the show yet:

It's so nice they get the chance to relax. :3:

I adore this show. CBS got a bunch of funny nerds who love all of Trek together and gave them a budget, and it turned out perfectly.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I’m playing Cyberpunk 2077 and was reminded of that sick rear end teleporting bullet sniper battle in DS9. Does that episode still hold up, or is my memory of it skewed because of just how sweet the idea of that weapon is?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Lower Decks continues to be the best and Trekiest thing released in the last couple decades.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Quinton posted:

Related: Venture Bros features an episode (Escape to the House of Mummies Part II) that is a Part II for a Part I that does not exist.

I adored watching that premiere the first time on cable because my girlfriend and I were so confused at having missed an episode. And everything escalates so absurdly that it feels like there might have been convoluted part 1 to that episode that Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer never fully fleshed out but sorta kinda makes sense.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsaTdqhd6eg

This gets borderline experimental in the editing, but goddamn does is capture the absurdity of Picard.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

zoux posted:

Remember when they discovered that transporters can reverse the aging process and then never mentioned that to anyone ever again

I know it's been said but Anson Mount is great in this role. I love how he strikes a balance between nurturing mentor and swashbuckling adventurer. Just a spectacular Starfleet officer.

He's the perfect character for a return-to-the-roots captain.

He is always diplomatic in first contacts and novel situations like Picard and he has the romanticized rogue decisions of Kirk.

And he can get away with both because he is canonically a seasoned Federation captain who has first hand knowledge that his horrific death ain't happening this mission.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Alchenar posted:

It's a 25min comedy cartoon from an ex-Rick and Morty showrunner.

Which is why I immediately thought "Your lava tubes are perfect" sounded like a sanitized volcanic-translation of "You have perfect cum gutters".

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"Her medical opinion is that you are... 'a [bleeping]ing pile of stress.'"

God I love this show.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Boimler rage is the best rage.

Also after reading that Jack Quaid recorded like dozens of different surprised yelps and screams that the editors pick for the perfect comedic punctuation, I can't help but notice just how perfect it is.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"Don't doubt me! I failed the Kobayashi Maru SEVENTEEN times mother[BLEEP]!"

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Astroman posted:

Two Janeways, One Scene:

Bujold:
https://youtu.be/8SIZcDWKyw0

Mulgrew:
https://youtu.be/HQE0V0Wbs-c

Katie murders it. You can absolutely see why Berman didn't think it was working with Version French.0.

drat, Mulgrew carried the show way more than I remembered.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Mx. posted:

super tempted to get this week's shirt even though i'd need to pay for package forwarding from the US

I got the shirt subscription and I justify it for that shirt alone.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Kesper North posted:

The best part is he's an orion weeaboo raised by human parents

the whole thing is a worf joke

glorious

Yes! The level of Trek dorkery to understand this joke is deep.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

:hai:

Mr. McMahan, if you are in fact reading this, please know that this lifelong Trekkie wholeheartedly approves of your show. It's frequently laugh-out-loud funny, often in ways that only a true fan would even notice, but it never crosses the line into mockery. You're straddling that line extremely well. And the show isn't just silly comedy -- you've developed these characters as people that we actually give a drat about, and I mean that as high praise.

My favorite deeeep-fans-only reference in this week's show? Kayshon yelling "Temba!" as he opens fire with his phaser, in the sense of "take this!" or "get some!"

The writers' room for this show has got to be composed of the funniest, biggest Trek nerds ever.

They perfectly nail the absurdity of half a century of sci-fi canon across multiple series and movies while keeping true to the utopian ideals and sentiment it was all built upon.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TxhUZjxdn4

You can tell how pretty much everyone working on the show is a fan of classic Trek.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

ashpanash posted:

I mean, "Admiral Buenamigo?" Practically screaming evil admiral there.

As for the episode, I felt this was the first time this season the show felt really flat. The main conflict arose because no one talked to each other, which is lazy writing. That Mariner would never attempt to even tell anyone exactly what she said to the reporter was just sloppy. Yes, they are conditioned to expect the worst, but just last episode they're talking about how all the department heads have noticed her improvement in attitude and job performance over the course of the season. She would have earned some benefit of the doubt to explain herself, even if only to Jen.

That, and the sudden Breen appearance / full-on act of war / sudden introduction of the new ships was far too rushed and unearned. I get that it's setup (I bet the Breen are fake or were lured there on false pretenses by the evil computers) and I get that they have limited time to do all of this setup in an episode, and it's not like I'm unwilling to let the show slide here. But it still should be called out, It's the kind of thing I'd expect out of Picard's writing room, not this one.

I had to go back a few minutes to double check it I had missed something after Mariner was transferred.

I expected a twist somewhere that Space Shenanigans had gone down that Mariner wasn't aware of yet could be reversed immediately at the end, but for whatever reason the show committed to the idea without humor or complexity.

Weird episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

I’m kind of bummed we didn’t get to see more Starbase 80, but maybe this is like Maris on Frasier — nothing you actually put on screen will live up to the buildup. I thought it was funny though :)

If it bends, it's funny. If it breaks, it's not funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_Akm40RJQ