Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed the first episode a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MichiganCubbie posted:

If the entire shipyards were wiped out, and Mars is "still on fire to this day," how did only 90,000 people die?

Transporters
Future Space Medicine

Honestly where the people lived was probably shielded and underground and poo poo since they were building prototype warp cores and whatnot at the shipyards. Lots of robots doing poo poo, but they don't count exocomps and retired EMHs in the death toll

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

I think Brie Larsen's lack of charisma in that movie is a genuine criticism. She's been in other stuff where she was good, but I'm not sure if a Grrrl Power superhero is her forté.

The screenplay doesn't help either. Is she supposed to act like a hot-shot fighter pilot or a weird brainwashed alien warrior?

She's supposed to act like the complex person Carol Danvers / VERS rather than a simple archtype and I never saw a problem with her acting

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

I think it is a fair criticism that the whole 'gaslit/brainwashed by the Kree' story is a misstep because it alienates (ha! puns) the audience from the character. Like, I get that the idea was probably to engage people with the mystery element, but considering the marketing and the property itself have really always been about Carol Danvers as a human lady who was in the USAF (and sometimes was a magazine editor... comics are weird) it's very odd to me that they've decided that the once or twice she's had amnesia in the comics is now the Most Important Part of her backstory. It'd be like if Spider-Man Far From Home spent the entire first half with Tom Holland growing two extra pairs of arms because of the one time the character did that in the comics in the 80s.

I mean sure ok but I think that criticism is almost entirely orthogonal to criticism of Brie Larson's acting

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Saturday sounds fair.

Agree

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah in MCU there is time travel and there is Infinity Stone time travel and they do different things and that is cool and good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My no poo poo favorite time travel mechanics are from AD&D 2e Chronomancer

Gotta run one of those again someday

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Agreed. There are lots of good things about TNG that modern Trek should copy, the fight choreography is not one of them.

This is one hundred percent true BUT someone better throw a two handed overhead punch at some point during the series

It's like "I have a bad feeling about this" in SW. I'll miss it if it's not there once per season

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Complaining about the banner is dumb stupid poo poo

The EntD computer saw it once, you can immediately replicate it. It may not be the actual original but who loving cares

Most importantly it made me smile when I saw it so it's already better than 99.9% of Disco

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

*sigh* Okay, everybody, raise your hand if you, like me, had more than one of those books. (Raise your other hand if you, like me, still have them on a shelf.)

One hand only (I recently sold mine)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Red Dwarf TV show did a whole bunch of time travel episodes but they also totally updated their sets and costumes occasionally so they were always coming up against this problem and their solution was they just didn't bother giving a gently caress about continuity at all, except for that one time where they very very carefully and faithfully recreated the original series set.

Red Dwarf at it's most serious is at the level of Spock's Brain, though

And I LOVE it, this is not an insult

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The two still pictures of lower decks look NOTHING like Rick and Morty

Other than being animated humanoids I guess. If anything they look like the new SheRa or something, not exaggerated drooling bigheads

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

At least he doesn't say Data's name like "Data" instead of "Data" like everyone else!! I'm lookin at you Dr. Pulaski!!

Weirdly, it was supposed to sound like that and it was Sir PatStew that got the long A version into American conciseness

Or it's an apocryphal story I've come to accept

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah good quality props

Combadges, tricorders, phasers, mek'leths, whatever

this thing:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There once was a woman from Venus
Whose body was shaped like a p-
DATA!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

These are the voyages of the Starship Le Sabre.

No, you can't just take the Delta Cruiser without asking, DUMBASS!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

I prefer to imagine the interior of starshipsas a lot more fluid than "X and Y 'decks'" are here and there. Naw, that stuff is in flux until it is observed and only for as long as it is.

That would certainly explain the interior shots of DISCO

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Actually, that is sort of hilarious.

Vulcans have a secret offshoot; the Romulans. Then, the Romulans have a secret offshoot: The Remans. What do Remans have? Is there an indigenous subreman race they keep hush?

Threemans

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dot jay peg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The cursing is dumb and terrible.

We should want Trek to inspire and be for everyone not be full of cringey cussing that makes me think twice about showing it to my mom or my niece

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Interesting that they referred to the Romulan Free State instead of the Romulan Star Empire. Wonder if that's the sole successor state to the Empire, or if they are more fractured and there are a few Romulan factions.

Multiple factions would be my guess from that title, but yeah it's hard to tell.

Tighclops posted:

That was awesome, because the loving Enterprise was about to crash into a planet. If there were ever a time for anybody on TNG to drop an "Oh poo poo!" it was right then and there, and for it to be Data was hilarious.

Agreed 100% that this was the only appropriate Trek swear beyond hell and drat and the occasional bollocks or merde

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Every time the Borg appeared from TNG to Voyager to even Enterprise there was always some new bullshit thing introduced about them to keep them from becoming static, so it's no surprise Picard is pulling more rabbits out of that hat too.

THE BORG ADAPT

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

Was she pretending to be Vulcan? Based on the context of that situation where she said she would know if there was a Romulan plot I took her to be an actual Romulan who is part of Starfleet.

Good thing all their forehead ridges receded in the past 40 years

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mehall posted:

Why the hell would mankind "grow out" of swearing?

Who said this?

I've said that Trek shouldn't have F-Bombs and Titties and graphic rape/torture scenes because most of us remember Trek fondly from our childhoods and wouldn't if it was rated R

It can be an inspirational, aspirational show for families and for everyone.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One is Trek shouldn't have swearing because Trek needs to reach the widest audience

The other is Trek SHOULD have swearing because gently caress dick poo poo piss titties

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are both valid points, but are not two sides of the same argument ffs.

The Bloop posted:

One is Trek shouldn't have swearing because Trek needs to reach the widest audience

The other is Trek SHOULD have swearing because gently caress dick poo poo piss titties

.....After all these years quote edit etc

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol the argument isn't kids don't want to hear gently caress.

The argument is kids have parents who monitor their media consumption.

You and I may disagree with those patents about whether kids should hear gently caress and see tits but the fact is that it will limit the audience.

And there's no real upshot. That scene could have been just as effective without gently caress. That's the point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Are you ready for the terrible secret of space?

Tribble secret of space

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

Series 1 will end with Picard dying to save Soji in a scene that mirrors the end of a Nemesis.

Soji will return to Chateau Picard to bury his combadge in the dirt.

Some random old French man walking past with a wine barrel strapped to his back will stop and say "You there, what's your same?"

"Soji" she'll reply.

"No, what's your full name?"

"Soji... Picard."

end credits

I accidentally just posted that in the Trump impeachment thread. I regret nothing.

We could do so much worse

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'm kind of curious if any other TNG episodes like Unification will be important to the plot of Picard, what with the emphasis on Romulans and all.

Almost certainly because then they can talk about :spock:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
In an alternate timeline, TMP reveals that V'ger is actually the Starship Voyager, having been pulled through time as well as space by the caretaker, and making it's way at warp 2 all the way back to sector 001 with all sorts of Borg poo poo and other totally alien poo poo all over it, piloted only by The Doctor who by this point doesn't even remember who he is or why he needs to go to earth.

And Naomi Wildman in stasis.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's a bit (okay a lot) of an over-simplification to say that in Picard FEDERASHUN BAD NOW

We see a decision about how many resources to spend saving your long-time enemy from the point of view of a military officer. We see secret spy poo poo. It's not like the Federation now stands as a despotic empire, they just made a judgement call that Our Hero thinks was wrong, and presumably we the audience are supposed to agree.

I mean, so far I DO agree, but it's more that was a dark time for the Federation and they made a selfish safe choice in a complicated situation rather than It Was No Longer Star Fleet from the guy who Insurrected more than once already

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It may be that no one blames the Romulans for Mars but the Federation was just attacked and right at its power center. There is no way to know if it will be a one-off or if it is just the first of many. Recalling fleets to Earth and every other Fed world would be the obvious course of action. The choice was then between this and mobilizing absolutely everything to evacuate Romulus.

Picard obviously weighed in on hope over fear, and the government did not. Could have been a close choice. They said some worlds threatened to leave the Federation over it. It's lovely but understandable, hey we joined your group in part for protection and now in a time of unprecedented sneak attack and unknown threat you want to send all our ships to help our longtime enemy at the (possible) expense of your own member worlds??

This is a legit moral dilemma worthy of Trek and Picard. I hope we see real discussion of it at least half as often as we see explosions and swordfights.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's not even that. It's "the Federation made one really bad decision 20 years ago when they were backed into a tight spot."

There is a little more to it than that since the journalist seemed to be still supportive of that move, unlike, say, the Iraq war

I mean it could have been Space Fox News but why would that be the one group Picard finally agreed to sit down for

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

So... when I say that this is a major ideological shift from what we've previously seen of the Federation that so far has no apparent motivation, what exactly are you arguing against?

That one decision made in the most trying of circumstances by a handful of individuals is not necessarily representative of the Federation ideology, regardless of the outcome

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

You're still justifying in universe politics. What is the show (ie, the writers/directors) trying to convey here with their characterisation of the Admiral, the music, camera framing, language, the choice of having Picard himself being on the opposing side?

I answered the question you asked, but I wasn't offering the sort of argument you want apparently.

The show is obviously telling us that Picard is Daddy Starfleet, Moral Paragon and that the mean lady saying gently caress at him is therefore a very bad person who is wrong about all things

It doesn't follow to me that "The Federation" has changed much.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am on team No-Fucks-In-Trek but I will fully admit that the line was excellent and perfectly delivered and received. It was probably the best bit of acting on the entire show so far.

Also, the other option here is actually that Picard just doesn't have all the information or the moral high ground here. There were almost certainly competing values and stakeholders at odds with legitimate well-meaning claims. Sometimes there is no one perfectly right answer, only a lovely compromise, and it's at those times when persons of good-will are most likely to disagree.

I don't see anything different about the Federation so far at all, we know almost nothing about the Federation. As for Star Fleet, we have a cocky Admiral Emeritus and an equally cocky current Admiral who doesn't like him or want to put her neck out for him on some wild Tosk hunt. In All Good Things, basically the identical poo poo happened except it was his own beloved crew that almost universally said Bless His Heart instead of Admiral Not-Really-On-A-First-Name-Basis

What's different other than Picard's assessment of the situation

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It has only framed it as Picard Disagrees With The Admirality which is like the 999th time that's happened.

We don't even have enough information to know more than the most hazy, basic outline of the issue.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can deal with rear end in a top hat admirals and I can even accept that they managed to get their way this time when it came to Romulan policy, but honestly what I found more disappointing in terms of setting were the little details about the workers at Mars. Why do they have bad food? Why are they feeling overworked? Are these just lazy writing shortcuts or do the writers/producers deliberately want to convey that 24th century workers are trapped in wage slavery just the same as 21st century workers?

Totally agree here.

I mean the only real explanation I can muster is that post-scarcity doesn't mean you can have anything you want and there are some things (bigger housing, better location, holosuite hours, reservations at Sisko's, whatever) require you to do something distasteful for society to earn Reputation Credits or whatever, and there is some important reason why that job is somewhat of a hardship posting.

This is all fanwank backsplanation of course. It's bad writing because you shouldn't have to make excuses for this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They're working a job that happens to be rough for reasons, and when they clock out and go home all their needs are met and they will want for basically nothing.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Same but not if you can have the same outcome for NOT having a lovely job, right?