Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I still distinctly remember the fighter jet pilot/instructor from Las Vegas (well, McCarran, presumably), and it's been almost twenty years since I last read The Stand (wait, more like 17, I think I read it around SARS), and he was in, like, two paragraphs.

All I can remember about Pence is that he caused an AIDS epidemic, likes to be hosed by horses, and refuses to be alone with other women without his wife, who he calls "mother", being there. And that's after four years of exposure to him.

The irony of this is that the best treatment for the immune system shitstorm that tends to kill people near the end of the infection has been HIV meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Duckula posted:

Why are people still willingly going on these death barges.

Why are all the death barges princesses.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Crossposting this here

https://twitter.com/tdechant/status/1237013448854249474

:lmao:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

The heck is this fr oh now I see the link now.

So, anyway, Wisconsin confirmed its second case five hours ago.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

redreader posted:

I had a sore-when-you-swallow/sore lump sore throat as opposed to a sandpapered-throat sore throat about 3 weeks ago. The sore throat lasted 9 days. I vomited on the 3rd day (post-nasal drip + sore throat stimulating my gag reflex) and started sounding like dr. girlfriend from day 5-8, which was a brand new one for me. From day 7 onwards I had the worst nonstop cough and couldn't sleep because I was coughing so much. I went to urgent care and they said I had a fever but it was mild and it's "just a viral infection"but gave me the only effective cough medicine I've ever had, benzonatate. I'm in Santa Clara county and this started around Feb 12th so I don't think it was the Roni. Around the same time a colleague had influenza A and B at the same time, lol, he said it was bad but he got tamiflu and felt better quite fast (like within a day and a half)

I had something similar in late December/early January. Mostly just a lovely nose thing and a shittier cough that lingered for two weeks after everything else had resolved. I was worried it was a sign my smoking years were catching up to me, but apparently I was not the only one to get hit with that.

Looking forward to round two except way worse, I guess?

EDIT: if my last post didnt make it apparent, I'm in Wisconsin.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Zzulu posted:

I mean, that would be grinding my life to a halt. I have to take the metro to work which already exposes me to hundreds of people every day and the gym is my only hobby. Can't really stop working and I don't want to give up the one thing I find fun during my offtime in order to avoid a flu

I do wash my hands tho :shobon:

Things like this make me glad I work alone in an office building and can get my workouts in while everyone is basically just Not Around.

Otherwise I have parents that are in their mid-70s and would like them to keep living, so I'm trying to be even more isolated than usual.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

BoldFace posted:

The vaccine is just a pipe dream. The current objective is to slow the spread down enough that all hospitals and whatever temporary treatment centers there will be won't be overrun by cases.

'Pipe dream' is bit hyperbolic. As noted before:

https://twitter.com/tdechant/status/1237013448854249474

It's not impossible to roll one out in the next year and a half or so, and make adjustments for the variants from there. It's a pipe dream to say that it'll show up in the next few months, though, yeah.

As you say, for the moment, it's more about flattening the curve.

EDIT: Companies and venture bros being fucks about it to the point that everyone dies is entirely possible, though.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Zzulu posted:

Italy is loving up all of europe

Europe's perfectly content to keep doing that on its own.

speaking of, is Jose still alive?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
People joke but if you're honestly prone to anxiety/panic, asking your psychiatrist for crisis meds would not be a terrible idea. With shortness of breath being so ubiquitous with both, and panic having the lovely 'I am literally dying' certainty attached to it, being able to clearly and accurately report the status of your lungs w/o panic interference could free up a bed if it turns out to be a very understandable freakout.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Spinz posted:

If I get this and die smoking will have killed me after all. It's ironic I quit in October. :shrug:
God this is so awful

Same, for me it was last April. :(

I'm weaning off with a vaporizer still, down to a negligible amount of nicotine. Guess it's time to make the last step.

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better-- China's numbers include a huge number of smokers, so their fatality rate is more or less what you can expect. Also have to account for extremely poor air quality.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Given where this comes from, grain of salt, but I went looking for any word on how smokers fared in China/etc, and this was interesting/weird.

http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/whats-new/2020/278-corona

Shocking to absolutely no one, smoking is basically the 'well obviously' go-to for why Chinese men are more likely to get hit by the virus, and why their outcomes are generally worse. The studies looking at the gender divide arent loving around: fatality risk among men was thought to be 2.8%, 1.7% for women, which has been correlated with men being far more likely to smoke.

These correlations do not take into account things like age, or profession, so hunting down something like '30-40 year old fatality rate among Chinese men' has been irritating, since that'll be the most accurate barometer for how you'll end up faring as a smoker.

That being said: I will laugh for days if huffing lemon cookie clouds somehow prevents me from contracting this after all the EVALI poo poo, but I'm not about to bet my life on it.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 12, 2020

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Edit: nm, info pretty sparse

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 12, 2020

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

There is a lot of 'maybe's in there, so don't take it as rote. Median is roughly 20 days.

In other news I have been slow-buying supplies for an inevitable quarantine, and realized I picked up 3 bottles of whiskey.

So I guess bring it on little virus, we'll get wasted together.

EDIT: Can't they just close the market for a while to keep it from continuing to freefall due to people losing their poo poo, or will that just make things worse? I'm too lazy to Google please explain this to me like I'm seven.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Lambert posted:

So you're prepared for a three day quarantine now?

They're 1.75Ls.

So more like 9.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Philosopher King posted:

How does one specifically keep their own parents intact during the great Boomer purge of 2020?

I've been keeping on my mom's rear end about as much as I can. Both she and my dad haven't been taking it all that seriously, and they're both in their 70s.

So I've been poking her with daily texts asking if her job is letting her WFH yet.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

MarcusSA posted:

Y’all should just be thankful you aren’t that goon lamenting that he might have to cancel the party for his 1 year old.

The party he spent $1500 on and which under 25 people are attending.

Sad times indeed.

Aren't you supposed to be spending $1500 on a hotdog stand instead.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Zugzwang posted:

My mom's an infection control nurse and is immunocompromised because she's a kidney transplant recipient. :stare:

I've seen conflicting reports about whether I should be horrified at this, because on the one hand, long-term lung damage from SARS/MERS seems to be caused by the immune system going ballistic, while on the other, this thing is hitting the elderly the hardest due to, well, weak immune systems. Is there a sweet spot where the immune system should be weak enough to avoid the lungs getting cytokine storm'd but not so weak that the person can actually fight off the virus, or what?

There's not enough information on that yet. I've been trying to keep track. Mostly I just know that the immune system going berserk has been successfully treated with HIV medications.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Hoo, well, then...

https://twitter.com/VirusesImmunity/status/1238084669654138881

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

I. M. Gei posted:

Can hardware store safety masks even protect people from viruses?

No.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Xanderkish posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/12/there-are-reasons-be-optimistic-regarding-coronavirus/?arc404=true

Some reasons for guarded optimism regarding the Coronavirus in the US. With major caveats, obviously.

I thought they weren't going to paywall this poo poo anymore.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Truck Stop Stall posted:

what are the odds that we lose the internet? will social media like reddit, facebook, instagram etc ever shut off?

Low, I'd think. This is pretty much the internet's time to shine.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Be the bigger person, they say, as a howling wave of chuds projectile vomits an endless gout of accusations at minorities and 'those filthy poors.'

I mean, yeah, I feel a little bad making jokes about it - my folks are in their 70s - but there's not really any doubt in my mind that I and others wont be shown the same courtesy.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

What on Earth makes you think this is a realistic scenario

No one answering the question they don't know the answer to?

Which is that herd immunity will eventually kick in. That, and there's already been vaccines developed for different strains of coronavirus that may be adaptable in a much shorter time frame than usual. People that know things are estimating that it'll prob take about a year and a half, if we're being generous.

Once that's done, tweaks can be made in the same way they're made to the annual flu vaccine, assuming COVID19 mutates as quickly. It might not.

My guess is that we'll see more novel viruses as climate change really kicks into gear. poo poo we weren't exposed to before bubbling up to the surface and making the leap to humans for any number of reasons. We'll probably have a better idea of how to monitor/handle it by then, and hopefully have an actual task force at the ready to perform all the necessary prep if another one comes down the pipeline.

That's a pretty optimistic view of things tho.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Rutibex posted:

there wont be a vaccine. we have been trying to make a vaccine for corona viruses for years, it doesnt work. thats like saying we need to wait for the AIDS vaccine

This is wrong.

There was successful research done on coronavirus vaccines, pharma just couldn't figure out how to monetize it so they didn't fund the project.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Spinz posted:

I genuinely don't get the fixation on a vaccine when actually all that is needed is a halfway decent treatment that reduces mortality. Something that blocks or lessens the attachment to the A whatever receptors in the lungs; I saw info that some German scientists already have promising results.

If that happens life swiftly goes back to normal.

It mostly has to do with boosting herd immunity to lessen the impact if another wave hits. For example, the flu vaccine is still worth getting even if they got the strain wrong, mostly because it still adds protection against the worst symptoms.

Most of this current wave will be fought w/ drug interventions during the cytokine storm phase, tho, yes.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Rad-daddio posted:

My Boomer boss and the Boomer office manager came into my office to make fun of all the triggered libs and how they're all scared of the common cold now.

I guess I'm working as usual until the National Guard starts setting up road blocks.

Congratulations on your promotion.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Zzulu posted:

Are americans just incredibly, uniquely stupid or something?

Yes?

Was this ever in doubt?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Well you gotta close a few things down to make an example because “noooo don’t discredit our powerful virus be scared do what we say etc..”

"Well we did all this nonsense and it's not spreading!"

Exactly.

People are doing all the life-disrupting nonsense.

So it's not spreading.

Look do you want your meemaw to get her cancer treatments or not? Because if hospitals get overwhelmed, the answer is going to be 'she's not, no one is, because everyone is sick now.'

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Klyith posted:

The people who get sick, recover, & get sick worse are a relapse not a reinfection. It just means the people in those examples didn't fight it off in the first round. That does not mean there is no immunity.

It's this.

There's a recovery period a lot of people go through, after which they get absolutely thrashed by their immune system. It's thought that this is, IN PART, what's happening with the 'relapses.'

Keep in mind, those stories were coming from a time when China was at its peak caseload. People were being released when they no longer tested positive, but it's unclear how many tests were run, and false-negatives were known to happen.

As has been noted, not enough information is known, but I have doubts about 'reinfection,' and would really prefer that rumor not be spread.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Weaponized Autism posted:

I've been out of the loop, any goon get the virus yet?

At least three in this thread, mod included.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
re: anti-inflammatory thing

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1238816018656526336

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Dixville posted:

It's funny cause the hotline asks if you've been to places with confirmed coronavirus but we've had 11 people test positive already in my county.

So-- yes?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Charliegrs posted:

Man things were bad enough for malls before the Corona virus. This will be probably be the final nail in the coffin for them. I can't imagine what all that real estate space will end up being used for in the future. Walmarts? Amazon warehouses?

The correct answer should be 'strange new form of affordable housing' but it won't be.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's a dead mall down in the South Bay (Sunnydale maybe?) that wanted to convert to housing but the locals screamed about traffic?!?!?!

Lol that we live in a world where a lovely useless eyesore beats compassionate spending.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Hey guys, there's an extremely bullshit article going around about 'flattening the curve' being some giant lie. It's written by a computer toucher that doesn't know things.

Listen to this guy instead:

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1238718629094379521

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Anti-inflammatory thing got debunked

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1238816018656526336?s=19

Unless it got rebunked while I wasn't looking idk

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Maybe we can start a pool for down on their luck goons? Not sure how to distribute that tho. That could get messy.

Edit: not being funny ha ha, honestly been thinking on how to help people out that are getting screwed.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Nice.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Puppy Galaxy posted:

i'm not saying we're all gonna die and i am not panicked in the least. i do think this has potential to change a lot about our day to day lives in ways that we are not expecting because there isn't much to compare it to, so the whole "i'm old, i've seen some poo poo!" line doesn't really seem to apply here

IDK, I oscillate between panic and not. There's a lot of good mobilization efforts happening in my home state (WI), and the governor is taking most of the necessary steps, though not all of them. Not enough of them for my liking, anyway.

To me, it's more that it seems fitting. I quit smoking, pull my life out of the gutter, get past a lot of ADHD quirks holding me back. It's the perfect time to get glassed by a loving virus, lol.

Then I calm down and realize again that I'm nowhere close to where this is really catching fire (yet), and we may have a fighting chance to stave this off until a therapeutics are found and distributed (may). Depends on what Evers does from here.

We'll see.

EDIT: oh wait IL is getting its head kicked in isn't it

oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Number_6 posted:

I'm seeing some people online suggesting that it would be better to let this burn through the population fast and hot, casualties be damned, than suffer the economic damage of an extended state of quarantine/restrictions. Is that just ghoulish capitalist greed talking, or a pragmatic strategy?

This would guarantee a much higher death rate if you take into consideration a) all the people that get denied a vent because they're old, dont have kids, or w/e, and b) all the non-covid hospitalizations that would get drummed out. We're talking people unable to get chemo and other life-saving treatments/procedures.

Example: that colonoscopy you had planned? Cancelled. Those few months you had to give you a fighting chance against colon cancer? Gone.

It's not pragmatic. It's making things ten times worse without much payoff. So yes it's just ghoulish capitalist greed.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 18, 2020