Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

3 Hours in air? Ohhh boy we are so hosed.

We should start mass-prescribing opiates and benzos again so at least people can go out on their own terms, cause it aint gonna be quick and painless for most folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So we're discussing our options and are kind of hosed with the current timeline because we're stuck in Madrid with a rental car that's due back in Barcelona next Friday and likely won't make it back before the Friday travel ban no matter what. Worst case scenario if she's confirmed to be denied entry for two weeks we're considering flying to Mexico (we live in CA) and riding the 14 days out on the cheap. This will likely result in me getting fired from my current job. The main thing we want to avoid is getting separated before this escalates further.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tafferling posted:

About Ireland... What about the northern border? Will it be a giant clusterfuck or will the virus de facto bring unification?

the exemption is for the UK (which northern ireland is part of) and the republic of ireland so it doesnt matter

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

foonykins posted:

3 Hours in air? Ohhh boy we are so hosed.

Gotta watch out for those lingering farts.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

G-III posted:

Even though I prepped and could weather this storm I'm panicked over all my loved ones who could likely perish from this pandemic.

My folks who are elderly who live in another state. Given that I'm right in the epicenter of all this in kirkland, wa... I'm worried we're about to get locked down full quarantine. What would happen if my parents died and I can't travel to be with them or deal with the aftermath?

Yeah I'm not doing well here.

I’ve got you buddy :sympathy:
I’m in Australia and my parents who are in their 80s are in the UK. We were going to visit them in a May but have postponed it because there’s no way I’m going to risk long haul travel and taking the virus to them.
I’m so worried that they will get ill and I won’t be able to be there due to travel restrictions, quarantine etc, so I share your fears and we won’t be the only ones unfortunately.
All I can do is FaceTime them and urge them to stay home which is hard.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

szary posted:

it's in PLN (1 euro = ~4.2 PLN), but that's the price for whatever's below the checkout conveyor, one frozen pizza is around 2 euro

Ah, got it.

I was legit concerned that Euros don't have access to cheap frozen pizza :ohdear:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

James Woods posted:

So we're discussing our options and are kind of hosed with the current timeline because we're stuck in Madrid with a rental car that's due back in Barcelona next Friday and likely won't make it back before the Friday travel ban no matter what. Worst case scenario if she's confirmed to be denied entry for two weeks we're considering flying to Mexico (we live in CA) and riding the 14 days out on the cheap. This will likely result in me getting fired from my current job. The main thing we want to avoid is getting separated before this escalates further.

If you can get to Tijuana, I'll drive down and smuggle you across the border. We can do that trench coat thing and y'all can sit on my shoulders. Nothing to see here, just a 17 foot tall man swaying around trying to get into USA.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Given where this comes from, grain of salt, but I went looking for any word on how smokers fared in China/etc, and this was interesting/weird.

http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/whats-new/2020/278-corona

Shocking to absolutely no one, smoking is basically the 'well obviously' go-to for why Chinese men are more likely to get hit by the virus, and why their outcomes are generally worse. The studies looking at the gender divide arent loving around: fatality risk among men was thought to be 2.8%, 1.7% for women, which has been correlated with men being far more likely to smoke.

These correlations do not take into account things like age, or profession, so hunting down something like '30-40 year old fatality rate among Chinese men' has been irritating, since that'll be the most accurate barometer for how you'll end up faring as a smoker.

That being said: I will laugh for days if huffing lemon cookie clouds somehow prevents me from contracting this after all the EVALI poo poo, but I'm not about to bet my life on it.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 12, 2020

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

James Woods posted:

From what I read, green card holders will be allowed, and direct relatives of US citizens as well, but I haven’t seen anything about people on other work visas. I’ve been particularly interested in this because my wife, who is Spanish, even after 3 years of marriage is still waiting to receive a green card, was expecting to have her parents visit us in a little over one month. I’m not confident in how any policy will be followed by the current administration, and an rear end in a top hat customs agent having the authority to gently caress you if he didn’t like the way you look, was already the way it worked anyways, for non-permanent residents.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Today is the 1 year anniversary of Trump's last white house press briefing

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
Belgium:

At the moment the official numbers say we have about 400 infected people. That is 0.0035% of our popolation.
I know already 4 people who are infected (3 tested, 1 with severe symptoms and a confirmed infected wife). These 4 people don't interact socially.

Bottom line: here is something wrong with the official numbers. They are off by at least a factor 100

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MrOzzy posted:

Belgium:

At the moment the official numbers say we have about 400 infected people. That is 0.0035% of our popolation.
I know already 4 people who are infected (3 tested, 1 with severe symptoms and a confirmed infected wife). These 4 people don't interact socially.

Bottom line: here is something wrong with the official numbers. They are off by at least a factor 100

It's been spreading for a while and is everywhere. They're simply not doing enough testing to detect it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

MrOzzy posted:

Belgium:

I have elderly family in belgium & haven't heard much so I appreciate the update

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

MrOzzy posted:

Belgium:

Great job passing the virus between your friends op

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Edit: nm, info pretty sparse

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 12, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dying of HIV is a small price to pay to keep some boomers alive a little longer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

poverty goat posted:

Today is the 1 year anniversary of Trump's last white house press briefing
To be honest, the WH Press Briefings were mostly a waste of time even before Trump

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I'm not worried about getting the flu itself. I've been sick before and I'm fairly young and healthy so it wouldn't be a big deal

HOWEVER, infecting the older family members would SUCK :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

James Woods posted:

Just don't return the rental car. Tell them you're dropping it at the Madrid airport and pay whatever the penalty is for not returning it to the right place.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

MrOzzy posted:

Belgium:

If the low countries don't get their spring classic bike races they will go ballistic. Theres nothing else there to do. Its flatland and smells like industrial fertilizer.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Rad-daddio posted:

If you can get to Tijuana, I'll drive down and smuggle you across the border. We can do that trench coat thing and y'all can sit on my shoulders. Nothing to see here, just a 17 foot tall man swaying around trying to get into USA.

We're considering as a nuclear option flying to Tijuana and trying to make it across the border at 3AM with all the college students and marines. She has a CA driver's license and a valid visa but not a green card. Being an EU citizen her passport wasn't stamped when we flew in through Germany. Presumably we could claim going direct from CA to Mexico then walking back into TJ. That is unless boarder restrictions have gotten more stringent since the last time I was there which I'm sure is highly likely in Trump's America. Last I was there was with a ton of Irish guys I was living with in San Diego and they breezed through no problem. She's fair skinned with red hair and blue eyes so she'd never be mistaken for a Mexican with fake papers.

Heteroy posted:

From what I read, green card holders will be allowed, and direct relatives of US citizens as well, but I haven’t seen anything about people on other work visas. I’ve been particularly interested in this because my wife, who is Spanish, even after 3 years of marriage is still waiting to receive a green card, was expecting to have her parents visit us in a little over one month. I’m not confident in how any policy will be followed by the current administration, and an rear end in a top hat customs agent having the authority to gently caress you if he didn’t like the way you look, was already the way it worked anyways, for non-permanent residents.

I really wish they'd clarify what status visa holders that just happened to be traveling during this shitshow are supposed to do.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

MrOzzy posted:

Belgium:

Absolutely. They’re not even denying it. Top virologist on national tv said it was between 5 and 10 times the test results, since a lot of people don’t get tested. But like you, I feel it’s a lot more. Not just in Belgium, though. If anything, we still do a lot of testing compared to the US.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

What's up with Jose? Still doing ok?

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Someone stole all the boxes of medium size gloves from our lab supply room, and all the hand sanitizer from one of the supply rooms on one of the floors. I'm guessing they'll be caught considering all the cameras, and the fact you have to swipe your card to get in and out of rooms.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It was probably your boss taking the supplies home to sell on ebay at a 900% markup

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Coronavirus Can Live in Patients for Five Weeks After Contagion

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-12/coronavirus-can-live-in-patients-for-five-weeks-after-contagion

quote:

Patients with the new coronavirus keep the pathogen in their respiratory tract for as long as 37 days, a new study found, suggesting they could remain infectious for many weeks.

In yet another sign of how difficult the pandemic may be to contain, doctors in China detected the virus’s RNA in respiratory samples from survivors for a median of 20 days after they became infected, they wrote in an article published in the Lancet medical journal.

:catstare:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fatigued posted:

Someone stole all the boxes of medium size gloves from our lab supply room, and all the hand sanitizer from one of the supply rooms on one of the floors. I'm guessing they'll be caught considering all the cameras, and the fact you have to swipe your card to get in and out of rooms.

they are already in their bug-out bunker. you should go and steal the large and small sized gloves while you still have the chance

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am getting so insanely hammered in the butt on the stock market :)

Why didn't I sell earlier :)

gently caress :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

we have another thread for the world financial collapse, please post in the appropriate thread

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

drunkill posted:

It was probably your boss taking the supplies home to sell on ebay at a 900% markup

This but I'm thinking they are wearing a skii mask, you can see them clearly going into a bathroom and looking around they look directly at the camera even, they come out in a skii mask come back with bottles in hand into the same bathroom. Exit the bathroom without the skii mask but now with a laptop bag that's budging. They take a quick glance around camera clearly catching the face.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tafferling posted:

About Ireland... What about the northern border? Will it be a giant clusterfuck or will the virus de facto bring unification?
Ireland and the UK are both in Trump's "I don't understand the EU and also I have golf courses there" club so there's no change there. Any news source referring to the UK as the sole exception doesn't understand that ROI isn't in the UK. It happens a lot.

Theres three other countries in the same EU yes , schengen no scenario. One's Bulgaria and I forget the other two.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Ireland and the UK are both in Trump's "I don't understand the EU and also I have golf courses there" club so there's no change there. Any news source referring to the UK as the sole exception doesn't understand that ROI isn't in the UK. It happens a lot.

Theres three other countries in the same EU yes , schengen no scenario. One's Bulgaria and I forget the other two.

UK isnt part of the EU any more, so its safe

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Zzulu posted:

I'm in the process of getting insanely hammered and eating tapas. I may have to check my girlfriend at customs but at least I don't have a fever.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Zzulu posted:

come on, it can't be—.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaGreen/status/1238096331312369676

OOP.

this seems like a hypothetical based on ideal conditions. not aware of any cases spread from the air.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

If the low countries don't get their spring classic bike races they will go ballistic. Theres nothing else there to do. Its flatland and smells like industrial fertilizer.

You are quite right about the bike races, not sure about the smell.

For some odd reason Belgian people often go to work when they are sick. With paid sick leave a free health care we aren't financially ruined when we become sick, which is quite different from the people living in our old European colonies. We aren't very worried about getting sick and the government isn't really taking drastic measures against spreading, they are just trying to prevent a lot of people getting sick at once which would cause too much strain on our medical services.

My daughter has even played "Corona games" at school. They are basically coughing in each others face and licking doorhandles. I advised against it though.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Thank God it kills boomers.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

There is a lot of 'maybe's in there, so don't take it as rote. Median is roughly 20 days.

In other news I have been slow-buying supplies for an inevitable quarantine, and realized I picked up 3 bottles of whiskey.

So I guess bring it on little virus, we'll get wasted together.

EDIT: Can't they just close the market for a while to keep it from continuing to freefall due to people losing their poo poo, or will that just make things worse? I'm too lazy to Google please explain this to me like I'm seven.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Old Boot posted:

In other news I have been slow-buying supplies for an inevitable quarantine, and realized I picked up 3 bottles of whiskey.

So you're prepared for a three day quarantine now?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

this seems like a hypothetical based on ideal conditions. not aware of any cases spread from the air.
it is extremely confirmed
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay

e: i guess that paper was retracted for unknown reasons :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Lambert posted:

So you're prepared for a three day quarantine now?

They're 1.75Ls.

So more like 9.