Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
2 in Bavaria, might be connected to the same infected Chinese person on a business trip to Germany.
Press coverage is a bit spotty but they both worked for the same company it seems that had a 3rd woman come over who was diagosed when he returned in China, if I parsed the reports correctly.

Correction: now it is 4 people all working for the same company, I hope no one of you works for Webasto.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ist Tom Cotton a reliable source or is this just commie-bashing tinfoilery?

Nvm, this senator is either an idiot or being a dick on purpose it seems.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 4, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Nah I meant more because of claims that it doesn't have to do with the fish market and they obfuscated the real source/timeline.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

Here's an interesting thought experiment.

If the Chinese government came out and said. "We were wrong, the situation is much more dire than we have been disclosing. The actual figures are much worse by a factor of x."

How would your personal situation change? Beyond what you have already done, and standard precautions (like washing hands, covering coughs, etc) - what would you do?

If that happened, I think the more interesting question is what would countries do? I mean they would probably immediately stop any air traffic to China (which Germany and France still allow) or maybe even all international air traffic, and more borders would be closed.
As for people in other countries, I don't think they would do much different, there are already racist reaction to Asians all over the places at this point, people have started buying masks etc.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Sten Freak posted:

My parents are taking the family on a cruise in June and honestly it's the first thing I thought of when this flu started hitting the news.

I figure by June it'll be burned out, contained or so bad we won't be going, which would suck considering the moolah already spent.

If it is that bad, they will likely have to cancel the cruise as governments prohibit international travel and you will get your money back. Which is good because if it comes that far, you will need it to buy basic things once prices go through the roof.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I think I am going to stock up on non-perishables a little. Not because of fear of corona but because this whole thing made me realize we simply don't have a reasonable amount of stock in general and you never know what could keep you from leaving your home for some time.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

RichardA posted:

Singapore has multiple case in which they can not track the source to other cases or travel to china. Concerning as that means there are infectious cases undiagnosed in the community.

All those air passengers going abroad fro. Wuhan had to get home somehow. And more likely than. And the answer is likely by public transport. Which is not only true for Singapore but extremely likely there given the policies around driving.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Right now all they have to do is completely disinfect 1 cruise ship once all passengers are dead hospitalised or proven not ill. That's way more convenient than disinfecting an aircraft carrier, multiple quarantine sites or similar...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

yes and more specifically they didn't bend the metal strip to actually give somewhat of a seal around the nose

That doesn't matter for her anyway as her right eyeglass seems to be under the mask, which makes a seal impossible. Or does the bad pic quality just make it seem so?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Flying to London early March... mental note: don't use uber

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

One problem I see is that North Korea is going to have access to the virus soon. Even if they don't plan to use it, is a danger.

Pretty sure NK already has "Access" if you count infected population as such... and it is a danger alright, given the derelict state of everything in NK

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Funso Banjo posted:

The uk are suggesting people self isolate. I think other governments are too.

What does this mean? It sounds like, “keep to yourself, but if you don’t, well we’re not going to force you. If you must, go out and spread it (if it turns out you’re infectious) but we’ll sulk about it!”

Are authorities delivering food etc to these isolators? Or saying self isolate, then expecting regular people to be able to do that while keeping themselves fed, supplied, healthy, etc?

The official handling of this seems pretty relaxed considering the supposed seriousness of the situation.

Remember unlike many goons, regular people have friends and the social skills to ask for help. Plus you can order basically anything these days.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Saw the first person with an N95-looking mask in the Munich subway today. Germans never wear masks on public transport.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Some parts of TCM actually make sense, as they are basically natural remedies.
My guess is they try to bolster their immune system with natural ingredients same as we do in the west for example.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

TCM is literally a placebo, that is the entire reason it was invented in the 50s (to make people think that they were getting medical care even though the state was not in any position to provide it).

The 50s? Is that what they tell you in your conspiracy group? I am not trying to defend TCM most of it is dubious, but dude seriously?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

What am I looking at, here?

A picture of an apartment filled to the brim with toilet paper taken from a higher apartment window?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
At least we now know cruise ships are ideal research vessels for exotic diseases

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So question, this Westerdam ship wasn't allowed to dock anywhere in Asia yet managed to have an infected American woman on board. Do we know where she got it? I can't find any article that says where the ship docked. So how did the virus get on board?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah idgi

I’ve never had the flu last longer than like 3 or 4 days. And I’m loving old and smoke. I’m guessing this is related to her new keto poo poo idk. They didn’t break out the biosuits or anything.

You never had the flu then. You had flu-like illnesses aka common colds or a bit worse.
The man flu is what they call it over here sometimes.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Have you guys heard of elderberry? It'll cure you as well as make your dick hard.

drat, I made my own elderflower syrup every June/July and just drank it myself, when I could have sold that organic boner juice for a premium...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That's certainly one way to silence dissenters.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to them wriggling to find an excuse not to have to cancel the Olympics because sports money must go on. After all the Olympic spirit greed is great and can overcome all challenges.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah don't worry. Your armed-to-the-teeth Nazi militias will start culling the infected much sooner.

Plus I don't think any kind of insurance matters once the medical system collapses and that's probably at around what...5 million infected?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So Italy. Apparently they had traced the firs tinfection to a business man who went home from China and infected an amateur sports guy. This guy then infected his pregnant wife and partook in several running events went to pubs etc and probably spread it that way. Only it turns out the businessman had the ordinary flu, so they are now back at square one.
(According to an article in Süddeutsche Zeitung of today).

And Italy is a very popular holiday and skiing destination from Munich, which has a sizeable population wealthy enough to go there for a weekend etc. As a local, I'd estimate chances are we already have cases here that we don't know about yet. Especially since many people drive down to Italy, Venice carnival was going to take place these days etc.

Let's see if when this balloons up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So, Austria, Spain and possibly Switzerland got cases originating from Italy.

Pace is picking up. Do you recon we will see closed borders in Europe soon?
I am flying to London on March 5th and really hope that is still in the cards.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
2 new cases in Germany according to this morning's news, also 1 US military dude in South Korea.
1 of the German cases is an older guy who is already in critical condition, so he probably was ill for some time before he was diagnosed.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
And we have 7 new cases in Germany as of Tuesday. One guy was infected by another because they had contact at a carnival celebration apparently. Judging by the average number of people crowded at carnival dos we are probably hosed...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

And we have 7 new cases in Germany as of Tuesday. One guy was infected by another because they had contact at a carnival celebration apparently. Judging by the average number of people crowded at carnival dos we are probably hosed...

And up to 10. One of which is a kindergarden teacher. Let's hope she didn't work lately...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Tbf it is less about getting infected and the apocalypse and more about compensating for realistic short term consequences such as reduced supermarket stocks or inability to go shopping.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

If they push the olympics back it’s a good thing, whoever decided to have them in loving August in Tokyo is a complete moron

Well to be fair they stage the Olympics and other sports events anywhere that promises to make the Olympic committee or other stakeholders richer without regards for the athletes or anything else since forever. Where was it that practically no-one finished that marathon last summer?

Edit: It was Doha.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
And we have to 14 new cases in Germany. Probably thanks to that rear end in a top hat who went to a carnival thing with 300 guests despite having a fever.

Corona or not, who the hell feels poo poo, has a fever and decides "hey let's go to this party"....

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Super selfish all the same. Shouldn't go to gatherings when ill.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
We are getting more and more cases in Germany from people who were on holiday in Italy but Sweden has a woman who caught it on holiday in Germany. Which means it must be even more prevalent here then we thought.

My guess is there are hundreds of very mild cases already spreading it all over the place. It makes zero sense that Munich doesn't have a new case already, there are hundreds of people going to Italy from here every weekend.
I give it until Monday at most.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So the mailman just handed me a package for my office colleague. Dispatched in Wuhan...
not joking.

I furiously washed my hands just in case....

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
When shopping today I saw both pasta and hand sanitizer where unavailable in several shops.
Funny thing is people see no pasta and start panick buying. Guess what, there is no more pasta because it is all produced in italy and driven here by truck, from the affected regions where production is halted. Not because the world is ending.

But this is how panic flares up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

Yes, but this is completely irrelevant. It's already clear to anyone that conservatives are divorced from reality.

If that was even remotely true, the US would be a very different place. However there are a LOT of dumb idiots. Exhibit 1: your president got voted into office.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

So hiding "Tested" covers the lack of testing but not posting the deaths is even worse imho.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, so you haven't seen the crowds of Chinese tourists all over Italy's sights then...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

He's going to blame losing the election to MAGA virus and its going to be great because there's so many tweets and sound bytes of him saying it doesn't matter.

That or he uses the situation to take absolute power as emperor of north america which has its own entertainment value.

After all you have seen you still think Trump won't be reelected? You sweet summer child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Just spent a nice long weekend in London.
Streets and Tube are emptier than usual, theaters, too. Street food markets still draw good crowds though.

Flying back home now..., if somebody asks whether I brought a souvenir, my answer will be "Ask me again in 10-14 days"...