Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
My husband (also a goon :cool:) and I are moving to Halifax from Vancouver, BC, where we've been for over a decade. :corsair:

We've been researching everything to know about Halifax, from municipal water and sewage vs. drilled wells and septic fields and from unaffordable housing to affordable housing. We're moving because we're ready to get into a smaller city and because it's an easy move for us due to my other half's job being able to relocate him there.

Questions for those who have visited or live in Halifax:
  • I guess I need a job too. I got BAs in English and anthroplogy but have been working since as an editor, non-profit environmental manager, and most recently as administrative staff at a local college. I hear it's kinda hard to find a job in Halifax? I am thinking about jobs at another environmental non-profit or possibly teaching, though I need certification.

• I heard Halifax has the highest number of pubs per capita than anywhere else in North America. This is a neat statistic. What would you all recommend?

• We're looking for houses in the Beaver Bank area. Anyone live or travel near there? Any recommendations on ... anything nearby that you found cool?

• We are looking forward to getting outside, just like we have loved the many trails and rivers of British Columbia. I think some of the trails along the ocean look really nice. And Peggy's Cover looks interesting. Any other ideas?

If you have any advice or recommendations beyond this, please share. As a thank you in advance, enjoy the best video ever about Halifax donairs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXXUqe9JiY8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Only been to Halifax once but the old triangle pub in old downtown was awesome. Food was shockingly good too. Some homemade Irish stew and a warm gingerbread toffee pudding or something were amazing.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

The Bluff Trail is great and nearby, just past Timberlea. You'll find good food in most pubs, but make sure to do Burger Week to the full extent. Can't say much about employment, I'd still be there if it wasn't an issue.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Duncan's Cove is a pretty popular oceanside hike. Long Lake trails too. We do have a ton of pubs of various quality. Board game cafes and escape rooms are pretty popular here too.

We don't have Uber or Lyft yet (or maybe ever) which is usually one of the first things a visitor asks about.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
I'm an American who moved to Halifax and it took me a year to get a job, and everyone I've talked to here says that isn't unusual. If your husband has work, that'll make it easier.

https://www.halifaxtrails.ca/ has lots of info and pictures for all your trail-finding needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Thanks for the advice so far. I will look into it all. We bought a house in Beaver Bank finally and are heading out there soon. I'm getting excited!