Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Which one of them is the jedi

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Please make the subform a big success so that we can have a Star Trek subforum

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

You absolutely can not, op. I’m calling the police.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pick posted:

Please make the subform a big success so that we can have a Star Trek subforum

If star trek is going to compete in a galaxy of multiculturalism it is going to have to rise to the top by demonstrating commitment to its ideals and a high degree of sexual tension

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Namtab posted:

it's star trek so either god, a space probe or a whale

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
DEEP THOUGHT ZONE Star Trek Articles of the Federation

HISTORIANS NOTE:

This novel commences shortly after the events of the feature film Star Trek Nemesis, as well as the novels A Time for War, a Time for Peace by Keith R.A. DeCandido, Death in Winter by Micheal Jan Friedman and Titan: Taking Wing by Micheal A. Martin & Andy Mangels.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
JANUARY 2380
"It sure is hell to be president."

---Harry S Truman

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Chapter One

quote:

Ele'er sat impatiently on her stool in the learning room. Mother was late, of course --- she was always late for their learning sessions, which meant they ended later, which meant Ele'er was always late for sky-singing because it meant she couldn't go through her warm ups, and when she couldn't go through her warm-ups, she sang poorly, and the song leader gave a disapproving look. Ele'er would explain that mother had been late with her lesson and that it had been important, but the songleader never cared.

Okay right off the bat Ele'er needs to officially stop pushing herself so damned hard. There is more to life than Songleader! And more importantly what in the everloving gently caress is Ele'er's mom doing all damned day that she can't get her daughter on the fuckin bus to song-camp? Don't they have fuckin transporters in this era??? Just beam her to class!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Honestly given that the federation now possesses the technology to create unlimited sentient AI copies with portable force field holoprojectors, why won’t they replace all soldiers with the emergency medical hologram from voyager

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is Star Trek the Game of Thrones to Star Wars' Lord of the Rings?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Namtab posted:

sulu since he's the only one i remember with a sword

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Mother finally transported into the learning room in a shimmer of light. Ele'er knew she'd used the transporter because she was running late.

Ele'er isn't exactly stunning me with her insights here but let me just focus for a second on how apparently all of this scheduling crap and vocal warmups can't be pushed back even five minutes because of some vague lateness and somehow this is all in a society with no travel time.

quote:

"I apologize for my tardiness," Mother said, pulling a padd out of a pocket in her cloak and sitting on the larger stool that faced Ele'ers. While they were both seated, Mother remained on a higher plane by sitting on her taller stool, reinforcing her position as both parent and teacher.

Just in case you're too loving dumb to read into the author's subtle symbolism here we get it broken so that we don't need worry that this book is gonna bother us with poo poo like 'subtext'. Also Mother is mostly teaching Ele'er to be late all the damned time.

quote:

Ele'er started to remind her that she'd be late for sky-singing, but mother didn't give her the chance. "Today's lesson will involve the politics of the Federation." Ele'er felt the folds of her skin tighten. She hated when the lesson involved politics.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
i'm gonna start to rek your poo poo :clint:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i never read star trek (fan)fiction growing up but I read a heck of a lot of star warss books. is it just as bad as the SW ones?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Star Trek books vary a lot.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

"We are going to observe the Federation News Service, because they have a segment called Illuminating the City of Light"

"That's a stupid name," Ele'er muttered.

She's right.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’ve never watched much Next Gen because Data creeps me out

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Up Circle posted:

i never read star trek (fan)fiction growing up but I read a heck of a lot of star warss books. is it just as bad as the SW ones?

i dont know the answer to this for sure, but i do know that i picked up a random star trek book off a used bookstore shelf a week ago and it was a story about lwaxana troi

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
'Hey there kid today instead of going to school to learn how to sing you're gonna sit on this stool and we're gonna watch sixty minutes documentaries'

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Pick posted:

The Star Trek books vary a lot.

no book will top shatner's

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

sponges posted:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Makeout Patrol posted:

i dont know the answer to this for sure, but i do know that i picked up a random star trek book off a used bookstore shelf a week ago and it was a story about lwaxana troi

Look old people have sex too

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no book will top shatner's

The ones that he ghost wrote where Spock seems really gay for him and nobody can tell if it's because the ghost writer thought spock should be really gay for him or if it was Shatner intervening to make sure that everybody loves Captain Kirk, even if it's in a gay way

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Pick posted:

The ones that he ghost wrote where Spock seems really gay for him and nobody can tell if it's because the ghost writer thought spock should be really gay for him or if it was Shatner intervening to make sure that everybody loves Captain Kirk, even if it's in a gay way

no the one where he's resurrected by the romulans and then fucks the romulan comander and then flips the big "blow up planet" switch on the borg homeworld

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

"What was that?" Mother said tersely.

Sighing Ele'er enunciated the words this time. "It's a stupid name."

"It's not at all a stupid name, Ele'er." Mother folded her hands on her lap which meant she was going to start quizzing her daughter.

At this time it seems like we are being forced to ask ourselves whether this 'Mother' character has any idea what a non-stupid name would sound like. I present for the court exhibit A, Ele'er. Please anyone who would like to step up to the plate and tell me how you'd pronounce this beast of a name I'd be all ears.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

"What is the seat of the federation government?"

Ele'er sighed. "Earth."

"More specifically please."

You know how in TV Courts you can stand up at any time and shout OBJECTION: RELEVANCE and then the person talking has to explain why what they're saying has anything to do with the conversation that got us here? That's what I think Ele'er should be doing here re: her opinion on whether 'Illuminating the City of Light" is a dumb name for a news-segment and what that has to do with the seat of the federation government.

quote:

"A city called London."

"Wrong, Ele'er." Mother made a note on her padd that Ele'er assumed was a demerit.

I'm not gonna do it. I'm not gonna make the jokes.

quote:

"It is in Paris, in a building known as the Palais de la Concorde"

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Pick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG5422UoW5U

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Though Ele'er was tempted to point out to Mother that she had no need to know the differences among the many cities of a planet that (its role as the seat of the Federation government notwithstanding) was light-years away from Bre'el IV in terms of both distance and relevance, she knew that it would probably just result in another demerit.

Ele'er lives life by demerits and schedules. She isn't going to be songleader at this rate she's going to try and murder he classmates.

quote:

"what is the name of the native population of Earth?"

"Human." That was an easy one.

"And what is the nickname that humans have for Paris?"

Ele'er felt her skin folds tighten again. "I don't know."

"The City of Light."

"Do the other cities on Earth not have light?"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Mother made another note on her padd; Ele'er feared another demerit.

"Of course they do, don't be absurd Ele'er. Now then--"

This time Ele'er saw where Mother was going with her questioning. "This FNS segment discusses the goings-on of the Federation government in Paris?"

"That is correct."

"So the presentation's purpose is to provide insight into what happens in the City of Light-- which is why it has that name."

At that, Mother put her fists to her chest, with wrists crossed-- a gesture of respect and gratitude. "Very good Ele'er." she made some more notes on her padd. "Now, then, we will watch."

Not much of note here other than more demerits.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Up Circle posted:

I remember the Voyager continuation novels starting off with the main villain being a corrupt Starfleet admiral who had a sex fetish for Borg implants and thus secretly Borged herself, and maybe some other people as well.

On the other hand, Andrew Robinson's novel that elaborates the backstory of Garak is pretty damned good.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Namtab posted:

:spock:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

star trek is boring as poo poo

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I was gonna make a post about star trek being good, but then I wondered, is it?

Series that are good
TOS
TNG
DS9
One fourth of S2 discovery

Series that are bad
Voyager
Enterprise
The rest of discovery

So I guess my original calculations were correct
Star Trek....

is good

sponges posted:

Did you know Data is fully functional ?

Tasha Yar does

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

El Generico posted:

i'm gonna start to rek your poo poo :clint:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
ahem right right where we left off this was important no doubt

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TOS movies are good too

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Mother removed a control from her cloak and pressed a button on it. The emitters located in the walls lit up, and five figures seated at a desk appeared in the learning room. One of them was a Bre'ella like her-- Ele'er thought he looked familiar, but she couldn't place his face, though his cloaks red color indicated a high office.

The images were frozen. Mother asked, "Can you identify the species and sexes of the people sitting with Councilor Nitram?"

Jeeze getting a bit forward here mom

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

quote:

Councillor Nitram, of course, Ele'er chastised herself. She was grateful for Mother's phrasing of the question-- assuming that Ele'er knew Bre'el's representative on the federation council-- had saved her the embarrassment of admitting she hadn't recognized him.

Ele'er peered at the images. Such identification quizzes were usually the purview of biology lessons, not political ones, but it was characteristic of Mother to throw in queries from other disciplines to keep Ele'er on her toes. The one on the far right with the dark skin looked like she was a native of Earth, so Ele'er pointed at her and said, "Human Female."

"Correct." Mother made another note on her padd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Pollyanna posted:

star trek is boring as poo poo

yeah but what's more boring than star wars

atats and loving lightsaber dances over and over and over again