Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I want to KILL ALL THE JEDI!!!

Would you say that they are evil from your point of view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

they also get to laugh while saying the dark side over and over again. they got the better deal.

Also they can bone down without everyone shaming them about it

Kids had by darksiders: 3
Kids had by Jedis: 0

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doublestep posted:

yeah it just sucks that TROS immediately goes against that and luke says how epic jedi are

That’s the end of TLJ you’re thinking of. You know the part where Luke goes “actually its not time for the jedi to end“

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah that’s why I’m unsure about tljs position

it tried some cool stuff but didn’t commit

TLJ is just parroting themes from 5/6/the prequels when it talks about how blind obedience to religious dogma is stupid, think for yourself, don’t get too attached to liberal democracy, eat the rich etc. its cool that that happened in a Disney movie but imho its cooler that that was in the original/prequel movies to begin with and loads of people never noticed until Luke Skywalker outright told them that sometimes military-religious-aristocrats are lovely

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dont Touch ME posted:

The worst part of star wars is every bit that happened after the first movie.

I agree, it’s all downhill from Phantom Menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Incoherence posted:

The prequels kinda skirt around it but don't really do anything with it because they don't really need to: the audience already knows Anakin is going to turn evil and kill all the Jedi, and the movies don't even really bother with making him sympathetic while he does this (it handwaves it off that he's traumatized but if he'd Really Believed in the Force then he wouldn't have acted out his trauma like he did).

Anakin is not supposed to be a sympathetic character in the sense that we agree with him, particularly when he starts killing innocents, but his grievances against the Jedi are legitimate. I don’t think it’s correct that we should think “this is all Anakin’s fault, why couldn’t he just do better”. Anakin is an immature, pathetic figure. He turns to evil because an evil man offers him the power to take control of his life and his future, something the Jedi never did for him and often actively tried to keep him from. Only Ben, of all the Jedi, ever accepts any blame for what happened to Anakin, and he puts it all on himself: he thinks that if he could have been as good a teacher as Yoda, he would have saved the day and Anakin would have been fine. He’s wrong. The Jedi hosed Anakin over and he spent years suffering under them before someone with an ulterior motive finally told him “you should gently caress them back.”