Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
the jedi were cool in concept as this vague mysterious legend about space wizards that used to exist but they're all dead except for an elderly troll doll and that one scary bad guy. everything star wars does where jedi fully exist and are on screen doing dumb force poo poo and waving light sabers around is horribly lame. the more we learn about them the worse it gets.

the original trilogy is great, there's really no jedi in it. yoda is too old to jump around and do force poo poo, obi wan is old and dies, luke does maybe one or two subtle force things but he doesn't finish his training to become fully lame. this is the correct amount of jedi
the prequel trilogy is the worst, it has gently caress tons of jedi in it. it's awful and lame and everything the dumbass jedi do is embarrassing
the sequel trilogy has more jedi poo poo in it than the original trilogy, less than the prequels. it's in the middle but still too much jedi.

the mandalorian has no jedi. it's great

the jedi need to die so star wars can live. say no to jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Correct. The Sith are the best part though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

But yeah I did like the original trilogy’s presentation of them as just being like these weird mystic monks who were considered wise and whose spiritual powers also happened to help them in combat, compared to the prequels where they’re basically just superheroes that occasionally say some spiritual-sounding stuff.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

El Generico posted:

the jedi were cool in concept as this vague mysterious legend about space wizards that used to exist but they're all dead except for an elderly troll doll and that one scary bad guy. everything star wars does where jedi fully exist and are on screen doing dumb force poo poo and waving light sabers around is horribly lame. the more we learn about them the worse it gets.

the original trilogy is great, there's really no jedi in it. yoda is too old to jump around and do force poo poo, obi wan is old and dies, luke does maybe one or two subtle force things but he doesn't finish his training to become fully lame. this is the correct amount of jedi
the prequel trilogy is the worst, it has gently caress tons of jedi in it. it's awful and lame and everything the dumbass jedi do is embarrassing
the sequel trilogy has more jedi poo poo in it than the original trilogy, less than the prequels. it's in the middle but still too much jedi.

this is kreia's philosophy. the force is an evil thing that twists the universe to suit its narrative convenience. only when the galaxy is broken free from reliance on a mystical crutch will things be good.

this is a metaphor for crafting star wars stories. overreliance on the force gives a contrived feeling to the story, divorcing the audience from the feeling that the galaxy is a real place. star wars was originally acclaimed for the dirtiness of its sets - the lived-in feeling of its universe in comparison to the sterile futurism of star trek or buck rogers. too much force ruins that. plus the prequels really fully embrace that same sterile futurism that the original trilogy avoided

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 22, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the jedi loving suck i hate them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

literally everything bad that happens is their fault somehow

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Luke spending most of TLJ talking about how the Jedi suck and are lame was cool and thematically-appropriate, even though I generally like the Force stuff in SW more than the non-Force stuff.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Luke spending most of TLJ talking about how the Jedi suck and are lame was cool and thematically-appropriate, even though I generally like the Force stuff in SW more than the non-Force stuff.

same

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
jedi in fallen order is kinda cool imo, oppressed jedi can make for good stories

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

C-Euro posted:

no that ruined everything about star war and killed my child hood!!! luke is cool and aweome and my friend and im gonna make him kick your ay-ess-ess!!! RUIN JOHNSON you loving FUCKER!!!!!!!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah seriously

I LOVE the luminous beings are we speech

But even without the prequels, no one wants mystic, mysterious, low powered Jedi or at least could not write them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yoda in prequels: *flips around really fast*

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

personally i like that the jedi are mostly just idiots and losers, being an idiot loser myself

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pick posted:

That actually owned.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Correct. The Sith are the best part though.

sith are just jedi that shop at hot topic

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah. That’s why they’re loving cool.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I agree with the OP in its entirety.

OP, please don't edit the OP such that this comes back to bite me.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Rat-tail wearing motherfuckers. Don't trust anyone that raises kids to wear rat-tails. loving nasty.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Criminal that we never get a good look at Sheev’s GIR backpack

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I want to KILL ALL THE JEDI!!!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I want to KILL ALL THE JEDI!!!

Would you say that they are evil from your point of view

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Pick posted:

This was so awful

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

skasion posted:

Would you say that they are evil from your point of view

Yeah, especially the drat younglings.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

they also get to laugh while saying the dark side over and over again. they got the better deal.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

kotor 2 is the best star wars story but its probably not a coincidence that all of the jedi are dead and the message is that maybe that's a good thing
if you're writing a star wars make sure there's not more than like 5, maybe 6 jedi in the whole galaxy. that seems to be a good idea.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

really queer Christmas posted:

they also get to laugh while saying the dark side over and over again. they got the better deal.

Also they can bone down without everyone shaming them about it

Kids had by darksiders: 3
Kids had by Jedis: 0

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Actually the jedi are cool af, and the saber twirling in the prequels owns.

I find it interesting that the ST affirms Kreias view of the force, there's a cycle where a dark jedi rises to overthrow the jedi and then a light jedi returns to "restore order". The Jedi and sith have caused destruction on an untold scale because of what amounts to religious doctrine according to that theory, so it seemed weird to make it canon because it does not reflect well on the jedi at all.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Jedi and the Force ARE Star Wars. Without that you just have generic Space Opera malarkey

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
bullshit jk 2/3 owned how do you explain that?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

bullshit jk 2/3 owned how do you explain that?

I don’t know what that is

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I killed them all. The women and the children.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

sponges posted:

Jedi and the Force ARE Star Wars. Without that you just have generic Space Opera maclunky

Fixed

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

McCloud posted:

Actually the jedi are cool af, and the saber twirling in the prequels owns.

I find it interesting that the ST affirms Kreias view of the force, there's a cycle where a dark jedi rises to overthrow the jedi and then a light jedi returns to "restore order". The Jedi and sith have caused destruction on an untold scale because of what amounts to religious doctrine according to that theory, so it seemed weird to make it canon because it does not reflect well on the jedi at all.

the jedi are stupid and their religion is kind of insane, they only look good in comparison to the sith because the sith are all full blown space hitlers

the jedi thing is to basically just take people with psychic powers and go "just like, don't have emotions, man". maybe the sith wouldn't all be such space hitlers if they weren't all coasting off of years of continuously repressed rage.

they also thought that "bringing balance to the force", in a situation where there were hundreds of light guys and exactly 2 dark guys, would be beneficial to them

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
i like lightsabers

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
the jedi/sith are really bland in the movies but i like how theyre handled in a lot of the expanded universe stuff that disney hates

none of the movies truly delve into how much both the jedi/sith suck (except the prequels kinda) but a lot of the games and books gently caress with it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

El Generico posted:

Agreed, but Lightsabers are also the best part of Star Wars

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The point of Star Wars is lightsabers

All things Star Wars exist for lightsabers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Doublestep posted:

the jedi/sith are really bland in the movies but i like how theyre handled in a lot of the expanded universe stuff that disney hates

none of the movies truly delve into how much both the jedi/sith suck (except the prequels kinda) but a lot of the games and books gently caress with it

The Clone Wars cartoon dives into the Jedi doing a bunch of shiiitty things (one Jedi leading dozens of clones to their deaths pointlessly to be a poo poo before he defects) and basically very strongly implies they're digging their own graves slowly through a lot of stupid actions, like not believing a Padawan when accused of a bombing and trying to play it off as their Jedi test to be a knight when they're found not guilty to which they pretty much say "gently caress off".