Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

My All-time favorite!

"The TIE defender marks a departure from the normal line of Imperial fighter design. It is one of the few production fighters to be equipped with both a shield generator and hyperdrive system. The Defender mounts considerable firepower in the form of automatic laser cannons which allow it to engage multiple enemies at once. Efficient manuevering thrusters are housed in the three odd shaped solar panels which give the Defender manuverability almost on the level of the TIE Interceptor and the Alliance's A-wing. In all, the Defender is a dangerous adversary to all Alliance fighters."

Description from Star Wars: Rebellion PC game from 1997

Kazimir Vysehrad fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

actually the prequels are good and as proof i present the images in this thread

the sequels are garbage for the same reasons

I concur, the prequels, while slow and with convoluted war-on-terror era plots, gave us so much like fleshing out almost every character back stories, cool aesthetics, the clone wars series with are great.

The sequels are a patch work of unlikable one dimensional and new shallow characters, the destruction of well established heroes: luke is a failure, han is still a smuggler 30 years on, and leia is the leader of an extremist militant organisation outlawed by the new republic?, come on!

Also the first order and final order getting mega new ships and walkers and all kind of top of the line poo poo makes no sense if the mayor shipyards are new republic controlled now, like fondor, yaga minor, kuat, etc.

The sequels make very little sense in continuity.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I just pretend they never happened and gleefully watch The Mandelorian

Yeah, for peace of mind, i pretend that the sequels are something of an alternative reality-type deal, thankfully that's something that was introduced in the Rebels TV show, so its no impossible to be true star wars-wise.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

i was thinking it was because the new designs are bad and boring but this is important too come to think of it

The new designs ARE bad and boring, the same visually identical tie fighters as always, the x wings with only very minor engine updates.

The first order aesthetics also are awful, looks like the designing team just decided that "nah, lets not go in a new bold direction, just make ships look samey as before, but with a more bulky and brutalistic aesthetic".

The only new ship that is not boring is the rebel bomber from TLJ, but it was a shame that it was squandered for a minor plot point.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Squizzle posted:

for all of lucas‘s terrible decisions, he knew exactly what he wanted to do aesthetically in each movie, and why. in the classic trilogy, jedi and leia level things are fairy tale middle ages stuff mixed with samurai. it’s mysterious and magical, but also the dark age after the fall of a great republic. it absolutely nails that.

at the same time, armies and spaceships are world wars. consistently. they are mechanized meatgrinder fights where you barely acknowledge the opposing side’s humanity. it's bombastic and fuckin rad, visually

in the prequels, the jedi level stuff is decadent rome. you get a nice swords-&-sandals setpiece in each: ep1 has a ben hur chariot race; ep2 has a gladiatorial arena. ep3 is the fall of the great republic into the empire, and you have the jedi trying to kill the chancellor—it’s the assassination of caesar. it's not always pulled off perfectly, but it’s always at least evident to the audience what lucas is trying to do

Yeah, i think this is the really the weakest point from the sequels, that there is no clear cut historical analogy for the premise, just "actually forget ROFJ, the empire never died, and our heroes are actuality incompetent buffoons, lets re-do the cold war mujaheddin vs soviet union history line as before because kids this days just wont notice"

Its just so disappointing.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Who What Now posted:

The one good thing to come out of the sequels is the U-Wing Gunship

There's something about it that I really like. It's sleek but also kinda beefy looking, and the scene of the door Gunner laying down fire as it dropped off troops was cool.

Rogue One is actually a great movie, looking forward for the tv series.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm excited to see how the Cassian series is presented. Mandalorian has had huge success throwing out the Star Wars formula and making a full on western, so maybe they'll do a Star Wars take on 24 or The Bourne Identity?

I think i would be a "mature" take on themes touched by SW Rebels, but (hopefully) without the Force, as in the formation of rebel cells, missions of sabotage of imperial targets, assassinations, working with seedy characters for mutual gain, many morally gray stuff of "does the end (overthrow the empire) justify the means? (terrorist bombings)"

There is plenty of opportunities there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

That's just a fresh out of the factory Y-Wing, by the time of the OT, they had just stopped re-installing all that unnecessary cowling

I think its now canon that Y-wings are those old decommissioned ones from the Clone Wars era that rebels stole from the scrapyard, it is understood then that those ships are out of production by the time of A New Hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYfRhKIYC60