Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong
Anyone play Star Wars: Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter in the PS2 era? Being the closest thing there was to a continuation of the X-Wing series (as in simply being Star Wars flight games; I kind of doubt they play at all similar), I always wanted to try them but never got around to it. No Rogue Squadron for me as I didn't have a Gamecube and last I checked they didn't even work on Dolphin.

All I remember from like 14 years ago is the demo of Jedi Starfighter where a planetary station is under attack by space ICBMs and you have to defend it while your allies yell about "MISSILLS!" constantly for ten minutes straight as if nobody would notice otherwise, and for some reason they also kept repeatedly talking about somebody named Sol Sixxa who doesn't even appear to be present.

The frantic defense gameplay style was kind of annoying, honestly, and it made me wonder if the whole game(s) would be like that, considering a lot of the missions seemed to involve protecting something according to the magazine guides I saw. At least in XW/TF there was a lot more focus on dogfighting.

Isometric Bacon posted:

That seems to explain a lot. Everytime I've gotten back into the X-wing series over recent years I've found it immensely difficult because of the major dead zones when I want to minutely adjust my target. It's the worst when your very far out and lining up an incoming target (who's also lining you up).

I had this problem when I tried to use a flight joystick, though I mainly put it down to it being a super-cheap £15 generic shitstick. I use a gamepad instead and it's immensely better, so that's my recommendation. I kind of got the feeling that full-size sticks with their long travel wouldn't work very well with the amount of constant small manoeuvring you have to do. Maybe if you have an expensive one with high sensitivity and low resistance, but I don't. No idea if the input worked differently in the past though.

The aiming-related issue I keep running into seems to be a game engine thing where the craft doesn't seem to like pointing at one particular spot in space and will nudge itself away no matter how many times you try to line it up. Enemies seem to end up in that spot a lot more often than they probably should, at least in X-Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU