Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FunkyAl posted:

Today I considered, they brought Frank Oz to do a puppet in the last jedi when he has not done puppets in 20 years. Why was he not a choice to direct? He directed one of the all time puppet effect movies ever! He probably could have done it for half the budget!!

Because then you wouldn't have your expectations SUBVERTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Frank Oz and his scripts are based on George's plan where they get on the magic school bus to go meet the whills

Hell yes, WHY NOT DONE???

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Imagine loving Force Fraggles explaining that they are midichlorians using people as avatars in the fight between Good and Evil!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sheev is dead, but you could have little Sheevichlorians running around and possessing people. He could crawl into people's ears and you could have a Wrath of Khan-esque scene where people are screaming and he scrambles his way through the ear hole...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Reminder that Mark Strong was Sinestro in the Green Lantern movie.

Also reminder that there was a Green Lantern movie, I guess.

Between Kickass, Shazam and GL, Mark Strong loving loves playing comic book supervillains.

Mark Strong was the best thing about that GL movie. His Sinestro was excellent. His Dr. Sivana was a bit blah, but I'm looking forward to his adventures with Mister Mind in the Seven Magic Lands.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

reminds me of that episode of star trek where rock creatures make captain kirk and mr spock team up with abraham lincoln to defeat history's greatest monsters

Just another reason why TOS Trek is best Trek. Excalbians for the muthafucking WIN.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Not Star Wars related, but you remember how we talked earlier about Ethan Van Sciver having a sketchbook full of drawings of Hilter and how he got blacklisted by the entire professional comics industry for being a horrifying racist? Well...

https://twitter.com/rewritingripley/status/1372626199969554434

:wtc:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SolarFire2 posted:

From what's been sade about how the sequel trilogy came to be, planning was a part they entirely skipped.

Kind of like the Resistance's attack on Starkiller Base: throw poo poo at it and hope for the best.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

he's an all powerful wizard anyway, why not.

Bring things full circle: Have him resurrect the Jakku fleet

Bring things full circle: Revenge of the Gungans

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It happened because there was no loving plan. Everything about that trilogy was visuals first and story last. It needed to ape the OT in everything because a bunch of manbabies were still angry about Gungans and podracing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

The sequel trilogies used the the same design process as FFXIII but didn't manage to fall rear end backwards into a fantastic combat system so its all just junk.

I will grant that XIII's combat system is unique, but I hated how little input you had about it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

You have a more control then people tend to think about (early action execution is a big deal alongside atb autorefresh), but ultimately its a radical shift in how a battle is managed so if it doesn't work I get it but disagree.

Yeah, I did like that they tried taking risks with the combat system. It's just that having it follow the odd gambit system of XII felt like the series was taking more and more control away from the player.

Then XV came around and lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

Alright then wiseguy, riddle me this. How would YOU fix the combat system in the force awakens

I'd run something like FFG's Star Wars rules, but maybe start off without giving the GM's bffs an extra 300 xp compared to the rest of the party. :smug:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CainFortea posted:

gently caress that. D6 Star Wars system is superior in every way.

Never played it, but I'd guess it's probably better than WotC's Saga edition (which sucks balls and was broken as poo poo)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

Now we're playing...with the heart of the cards!

Imagine Rey stumbling upon an ancient Jedi holocron. She assembles it, and suddenly is possessed by the Force spirit of an ancient Jedi master. When the Jedi Master assumes control, she transforms into a hybrid form of both herself and the Master.

And that Master...

Looks...

Like...

This...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

So much of the dumb trilogy could have made sense if they had focused on showing rather than telling. Show the New Republic. Show them being demilitarized or readopting the Republic's "judicial forces" rather than an official army/navy. Have Luke be missing WITHOUT a map, and have Rey and Finn's starting story arc involve finding clues to hunt him down. loving use R2 instead of BB-8 because then you have a constant character who could help guide the newbies.

Imagine if TFA had Rey finding a crashed X-Wing with a busted astromech. She repairs the astromech and finds out that it is R2. She runs into Finn via the same story arc, and they set out on a hunt to find Luke Skywalker. Hell, R2 could even have Luke's ROTJ lightsaber still on him. You could have another story with Leia trying to convince the New Republic to take the First Order/Imperial Remnant seriously. Han could still get merk'd, maybe in the process of trying to save the New Republic from the First Order's terrorist attack. You could even keep Poe, but just have him as a Wedge Antilles rather than the Goku of starfighter aces.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I got a gripload of crits with my d2s...

:smugdog:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Make a Star Wars Gaiden thread

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

DOME WARS: A STAR WARS STORY

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

"Who are your people?"

"I... I don't have any people. I'm all alone."

"Alone, eh? So--"

"I mean I come from that dome over there, if that's what you're asking."

"Hmm."

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Let's leave Cine_D shenanigans in Cine_D

I enjoy this subforum because it is a chill posting place. There also seems to be a general agreement that what you like is subjective, so people are going to disagree on what is good and what isn't. For the most part, I feel like those disagreements generate funny shitposts (like thinking up video game and rpg rules to fix the sequels, and posting Gungan cheesecake images).

Oh, which reminds me... I come bringing a gift from the GBS Suez Canal photoshop thread:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I've long since come to the conclusion that bitching about the Sequels/Prequels/EU/Other Disney films is beyond tedious and is usually one of the markers that you're an absolute humorless bore of a person who probably smells like cheese of one sort or another. So I always try to at least make people laugh as I scream endlessly into the digital void about how I walked away from The Rise of Skywalker more miserable than I'd ever been at any point since the day my father died because it sucked that bad.

So I'm happy to oblige in that regard.

Also that Jar-Jar image is bad. Why did you curse us with it.

It's good...

From a certain point of view...

:smugdog:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

I was all ready to post that I like how Boba Fett and Boba Frick have the same first name and it helps star wars feel more alive and then I remembered that things name is Babu Frick.

Yeah, but Babu Frick is the ancestor of Babu Bhatt.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More evidence as to why the Sequel Trilogy is dumb and bad.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

In the EU, Luke got his Mommy Milky from a hot redhead rather than a sexy space seal.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, I like to think that Luke and Mara hooked up in the new canon as well, and her dumping him was a big part of the reason he went to go hide and sulk on Ahch To with the fish nuns.

That could hint at the existence of a Ben Skywalker, or maybe his child is named Bail or Qi'ra in the Disneyverse.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

In hindsight, it would have been cool if Luke named his son Biggs.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CainFortea posted:

Someone made a 14" statue of Jar Jar with a huge dick just hangin out and selling it as a fundraiser for amazon workers in Chicago.

Below is the link to the tweet

https://twitter.com/NotDickWarlock/status/1380721277900623874

And an image if you don't do the tweets.

Do you see what the prequels hath wrought?

That's one bombad boner

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Okay, I've got another joke:

He's just a simple Hungan looking for some Nabooty

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao

the prequels own

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

General Hux: The Star War... I've lost it. There is only one thing left for me to do.

*General Hux draws Mace Windu's lightsaber and commits ritual seppoodoo*

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cerv posted:

Maz Katana's laser sword pawn shop

But that's a story for another time

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Now I'm kind of craving a pawn shop Star Wars show from D+

PAWN STAR WARS

"Oh, you've got an ancient Sith holocron? Let me call my buddy who's an expert in ancient Sith holocrons..."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CainFortea posted:

Darth Plagius's bronzed left hand? Best I can do for you is 5 creds.

"So this is a lightsaber, a weapon from a more civilized era? I'm gonna have to call in a friend of mine to take a look at this thing."

"Who would you be calling?"

"He goes by DV. It might take a bit to convince him, though. We're on a desert, and the man really cannot stand sand."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CainFortea posted:

"Chuumlee, where did you get that broken rear end YT-1300? Who the hell puts missile tubes on a freighter, especially right behind where the freight goes? Get rid of it and try not to lose TOO much money on it."

The Old Man watches Kylo Ren walk into the shop, and shakes his head.

"Some kid's children..."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cut lines from Attack of the Clones:

"Once I take this shirt off, you're gonna be so wet you'll make Dagobah look like Tatooine."
-Anakin to Padme

"Once I take this shirt off, you're gonna be so wet you'll make Dagobah look like Tatooine."
-Anakin to Obi-Wan

-Dooku to Obi-Wan

-Obi-Wan to Elan Sleazebaggano

"That's cute. I remember when I had my first Star Beer."
-Padme to Anakin

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

When I saw the TPM I was 16-17 and I remember enjoying most of it. I didn't like Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd, or some of the ship designs (they were so different from the OT but some were pretty). However, I loved the worlds he showed, like Naboo and Coruscant. They were so detailed and beautiful for the time. The music was good, the story was decent, and it gave us Qui-Gon who is still my favorite Jedi not named Luke Skywalker.

I remember loving AOTC even more because of the worlds, the Battle of Geonosis and that love theme (minor 6ths are so beautiful). It wasn't perfect, but I immediately ran back to the theater to rewatch it for those reasons.

I enjoyed ROTS as well because of the battles and conclusion of the story. It gave enough closure, and segued into the OT well enough. Padme dying of a broken heart was pretty funny, but it's a space opera. Opera in all its forms is larger than life.

I never felt that way with any of the ST or Disney movies. I almost walked out on TFA when the plan to take out Starkiller Base was just throw poo poo at it and hope it blows up. Rey picking up the sabers to fight Ren after he punked Finn was my favorite moment, but that got ruined by how the end of that fight was telegraphed.

Rogue One pretty much convinced me that I wouldn't like any of Disney's Star Wars movies because it felt so contrived. It wanted to connect poo poo that didn't need connect, like how the Death Star uses lightsaber crystals, a scientist knowingly built a flaw in it, the Tantive IV was at the battle along with Darth Vader. Then they used CGI to resurrect Tarkin.

The only other Disney Star Wars movie I've seen is Solo via library dvd because I heard that Chewie stole the show. I regret that choice, since it just showed me that they doubled down on the unnecessary connections (loving fuel, Darth Maul, and the name origin).

Now, I grew up watching the OT on VHS. I would watch them over and over, listen to the records, and daydream about the movies. I have zero pull to Disney's Star Wars projects despite that childhood fondness for the OT. Maybe it's because they stick so heavily with the OT design and props. At least the PT showed us strange new worlds and civilizations. The only planet that looked unique in the ST was Crait, and even that was a riff on Hoth.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cease to Hope posted:

I agree with all of this. On the subject of nostalgia, though, it's so weird to see people give the old EU a pass while rightly hitting the Disney movies for this. It's not something BA in particular has done to my knowledge, but it is a pattern I've seen.

Oof, I loving HATED the EU doing poo poo like this. Lol at that book that made every person in the Mos Eisley cantina a super important player in the galaxy and stories like Skippy the R5 that blew its motivator on purpose to let R2 meet up with Luke. As if that place wasn't loaded with washed up moisture farmers or Hutt minions looking to drown their sorrows in a misty pint of space beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

When I taught in Japan, almost ALL of my students liked the Prequel Trilogy. I had one student whose favorite character was Anakin. They also loved the Sequel Trilogy. I can't really think of a pair of trilogies that are more different in world-building. If they loved the PT out of nostalgia for it, why would they also love the ST when it is incredibly different story- and pacing-wise.

People like different things for different reasons. There is no one right answer as to why people like things, and that's okay.

Also Prequels good