Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

They’re not underdeveloped, though. It’s just that the visual designs do most of the heavy lifting, as opposed to the dialogue. I think this is what appeals most to the prequel fans.

E: What I also like about them is the economy of information found within the dialogue. For example, Maul only gets a few lines, but background that couldn’t be conveyed in his character is all packed into the line “At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.”

Palpatine’s response doesn’t acknowledge this political struggle Maul has. Clearly he’s using him. But from that line of dialogue it’s not difficult to infer that Maul’s species/religion/whatever has been impacted by the Jedi and he’s been radicalized.

https://youtu.be/gug3R-bKt9U

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

They have little role in the story other than as obstacles to be overcome.

I think the three villains of the prequels, Maul, Dooku, and Grievous would greatly change the story if they were removed. But you’d have to talk about them individually.

Maul not only runs personal tasks from Palpatine that he otherwise couldn’t do while in office, similar to John Lithgow in Blow Out for example, he represents the outside dangers that the Jedi have neglected to acknowledge/overcome. It’s a major theme of the film and represents the beginning of the end for the republic.

Dooku is the corruption from within the institution. A former Jedi who now is involved with dismantling the order because of his disillusionment. Again this is all stuff that’s pretty clear cut in the dialogue and represents one of the major themes of the film.

Grievous on the other hand is more tertiary to the plot than the other two. The proto-Vader cyborg body and leader/‘hero’ of the droid army is just cool. But also there wasn’t really a character established who would really be a military leader for the other side of the conflict. We only saw the very start of the war at the end of episode 2. Who else could they have used? Anyway as he’s the figurehead of the droid army his role means that getting him = ending the war. It keeps things simple where it would otherwise be messy, when you need to wrap the war up to advance the plot.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/R0kfYXKTgJM

Here’s one of the main inspirations for Star Wars. I think it’s pretty clear that the wooden acting is a throwback to this style. It’s a creative choice. One which I think works for this series.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

indigi posted:

I'll try spinning, that's a good trick

e: lol the scene where they all shoot their grappling hook guns at the same time is ridiculous

To be fair they’re not at the EXACT same time lol. But they’re trained soldiers for the queen and the gizmos are fun.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

indigi posted:

how is podracing a thing when 80% of the field wrecks or dies each time

There is no resource scarcity in the Galaxy. This includes skilled alien labor I guess.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

indigi posted:

his training taught him not to?

He and Palpatine talk about that right after.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

indigi posted:

I forgot about the weird plasma ball Padme gives Boss Nass at the end

:orb:

Also the Padme and Anakin exchange about diplomatic solutions/aggressive negotiations seems to be thematically important here too.

Anakin is a fan of the violent fascism bc it gets things done quicker, as opposed to the slow moving bureaucratic machine that left him and his mother in slavery. Neither of them solved the underlying issues facing the galaxy but I’m guessing the sequel trilogy was supposed to cover that.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 27, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

indigi posted:

Hayden actually acts... well?! .... in this first scene of AotC

His barely restrained horniness versus Natalie’s and Ewan’s attempts to immaculate him and throw some ice water on him is hilarious.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

"I shouldn't."

What more needed to be said in that moment?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Are you just not reading the posts that answered your problem? There’s a multitude of reasons why he did it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I love Attack of the Clones. It’s got a slower pace than the rest of them which is unusual for a summer blockbuster, but it does a lot of unusual things. I love the classical 50’s sci-fi/noir/costume drama with a mix of James Dean flick vibes it has. I’ve been craving a rewatch.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

The entire movie is like this; this one scene is just an example. People keep bringing up the fact that Anakin could have reasons as some sort of gotcha, but I gotta emphasize: I am not saying this is a plot hole! I am saying that the performances do not actually convey Anakin's reasons for doing this, because Christensen and McDarmid don't have any screen chemistry, and both Lucas and Christensen suck rear end at communicating emotion wordlessly. Every scene that supposedly shows Palpatine's hold over Anakin has these problems.

You can infer reasons for why Anakin does what he does, but at some point you're just writing a different narrative than the one that's actually in the movie.

You want a cup of Jawa juice?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

not really following the logic on this one

https://youtu.be/5yaD0ralc0k

They talk about it here. At the end of the movie she says this:

https://youtu.be/EzZxFEp16R8

E: Padme is clearly the most into him when he starts talkin’ fash.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 27, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

indigi posted:

the Yoda fight looks so dumb

The crowd was absolutely electric watching that in the theater for the first time.

When the cat was out of the bag they tried to milk it like this:

https://youtu.be/H6d1dR2170o

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If the rebellion did more radical terrorist poo poo against the empire than maybe the teens would like it more maybe.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Honest question, you describe these films as meaningless action sequences with little connective tissue, but when other posts derive meaning from them and connect them thematically to other scenes within the film, along with the series as a whole, do you think we’re just making it up?

I can talk all day about the cool connective tissue between these films and pretty much every action scene in these movies conveys the point Lucas was trying to make. They’re interesting and cool and fun and good.

If they’re not your bag that’s your prerogative, but we’re not playing a prank on you when we say we enjoy them and glean something from it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It is, indeed, where the fun begins.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Earlier I posted an old Flash Gordon serial showing exactly that wooden style of acting is a creative choice by the director. Lucas didn’t ‘forget’ to tell the actors to emote. It’s a choice. A throwback to an older style of film.

There’s a lot that these films ask on behalf of their audience which admittedly requires a bit of good will on their part to accomplish, but they’re earnest in their commitment to create a universe that has been thought through and executed in such a way that you can imagine how things function beyond the screen. It’s the same thing that the original film did, with the dirtier outer rim planets, and now we have the high-gloss, hyper real fantastic places of the upper class. But the other worldly-ness of it all is easy to laugh at if you wanna be that way about it. But so is most sci-fi. You’re engaging with a fictional world and part of the fun is admiring how it functions differently than ours, and how it’s similar.

It doesn’t take a ‘Galaxy brain’ to figure out that Anakin is a fascist, and Padme is a neolib. They literally have a conversation about it. Or that the Jedi as an institution was failing, but it’s still tragic to have them all be murdered. All the stuff that we talk about is either just talked about in the films or if it’s subtext, it’s talked about in the Clone Wars series, which Lucas was heavily involved in. If you don’t like it, fine, but the themes people pointed out in the material aren’t contradicted, but supported by the rest of it.

On top of all that, they’re fun. Lucas shoots action sequences really uniquely. Doesn’t move the camera around too much, and his shots are well composed. There’s always something visually interesting around every corner, they have good Williams scores, and Burtt’s sound design is great. I’m not trying to say anybody is crazy for not liking them. You do you, but what I don’t understand why people get so bent out of shape when somebody does.

E: Ben Burtt is a sound designer not a mixer.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 28, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't care why people read more into the prequels than is actually in the movies. It's none of my business, and it's weird to speculate about it. The fact remains, though, that people do read a bunch of stuff that isn't there, and debunking that is necessary in order to argue against the idea that the prequels are somehow some sort of anti-neoliberal political tract.

Dude we post clips from the movie where they literally discuss how Padme is a neoliberal and Anakin is a fascist. Literally.

https://youtu.be/5yaD0ralc0k

It doesn’t take a film major to see that these are their ideologies. What happens to these two characters at the end of these movies?

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 28, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

I still don't understand how you're getting "neoliberal" out of that scene. Where does Padme talk about marketizing society? She's just arguing in favor of representative democracy.

You’re right, I mixed up neoliberal with liberal which Padme definitely is and is shown in this scene. Long, hot day.

To answer the Neoliberal question, it’s the inciting incident and the lead antagonizing force of the first film. They’re called the Trade Federation and they have their own chair in the senate and nobody says poo poo about it. In the second film they team up with other companies and form a council of bad guys. They use their financial power to buy a big army of robots and start a big war. What happened to them?

The criticism of neolib policies and how they tie into Palpatine’s plans does require some more subtextual reading in the films, but just surface level viewing it clearly doesn’t favor them.

https://youtu.be/4MdUrh7iZMU

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 28, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The politics of Lucas’ Star Wars movies are written in stories/myths that repeat throughout human history. That’s why they work and resonate. They’re vague enough to remain relevant and have the audience apply the current power structures onto them. The prequels take from the fall of the Weimar Republic, late Rome, and easily apply to the US. George got into some hot water when Sith came out saying that he was being too critical of Bush. It can easily be read as such, just as easily as he said it was Nixon he was using as Palpatine. Just as easily as Sheev could be many other Great Men figures.

The Trade Federation is just as much the Dutch East India Company as it is Amazon.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

This what I'm talking about when I talk about galaxy-brain poo poo. Grievous's entire character is old-timey villain cliches and you're still out here insisting he's nuanced somehow.

https://www.starwars.com/video/heroes-on-both-sides-episode-featurette

Here’s Dave Filoni, basically Lucas’ protege, talking about the concept of ‘heroes on both sides’ line, for the episode of Clone Wars with the same name.

The full line is “There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.”

Dave’s explanation: “If Count Dooku claims to have left the Republic because an evil Sith Lord is control of the senate and he sways the good senators to leave the republic on the grounds that the republic is corrupt, that’s exactly true.”

The arc of that story is Padme going into proctor some treaty with a separatist planet while Ahsoka gets a crush on one.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

josh04 posted:

Can someone who has watched the Clone Wars tell me if they ever do the scene where Count Dooku trains Grievous in the Jedi arts? Because that poo poo sounds hilarious.

Sadly they don’t share much screen time together. He does in the 2D one, but that Grievous is basically a different character entirely.

https://youtu.be/I-CLZamrhtE

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

General Grievous is my hero. So is Wat Tambor. We just read different Holonews.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Random prequel stuff I like:

-Jimmy Smitts’ red corvette
-The rumble of Sebulba’s engines when they’re behind Anakin’s neck
-The way Captain Cody twirls his helmet when he gives Obi-Wan his lightsaber
-Poggle the Lesser’s voice
-Cleigg Lars monologuing like a character in The Searchers
-Mars Guo’s “RAWR”
-Otoh Gunga
-Qui Gon making Jar Jar pass out
-Jar Jar getting kicked in the crotch by a Pit Droid
-Gungan Bubble Tech
-Geonosian Bubble Tech
-Padme’s super retro (second) Episode 2 ship

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

YOU FOOL. IVE BEEN TRAINED IN YOUR JEDI ARTS BY COUNT DOOKU.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I think the podracer port has shown the game to have aged pretty well. The worlds have a lot of personality, and the feel of the pods really communicates a sense that you’re barely keeping these two explosive engines from killing you at any moment and the game is kind of designed around that.

Game good.

Shame there’s no online but whatever.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/pWdd6_ZxX8c
But said in a Gungan accent

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/2vz8cG7Awoo

I think about this deleted scene from Episode II often. There is no chance Mas Ameeda’s flicking tongue was anything but a Lucas decision.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ki Adi-Mundi, canonically, fucks.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hey guys I’m watching Episode 3 rn.

e: :)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

OT is life. Prequels are hometown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU