Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I haven't watched that scene in so long that I forgot exactly how awful the CGI was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

What scene ?

Thread move fast.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

Compared to the original trilogy it's pretty great, especially before the special editions.

lmao I just remembered the insane despecialized edition where they are literally painting back in matte lines around the ships. I hope the make the snowspeeder cockpit walls transparent again too then try to explain how it's actually better that it's objectively worse.

Having matte lines is a small price to pay for having han shooting first and no slapstick jabba scene.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

i don't know how people miss that

By not watching that stupid show in the first place.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

We are talking here about people that are so mad at Lucas they are literally taking a black marker and drawing big lines around the spaceships and characters for no reason that makes sense to the human mind.

You mean George was being so mad that people made fun of his dumb changes that he refused to release the theatrical versions.

Seems like a good reason to get mad.

This also ignores the people who just want to restore them to the versions they liked.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I would point out that TLJ is actually a bad movie but at least it has better ideas than any of the other 2 sequel movies except this is a thread about how terrible the PT is and everyone should probably get back on that topic, the topic being the PT are loving awful in literally every measurable way.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What? No. Whenever my players level up I describe how the guild shows up with containers full of blood and they just pump more blood into their characters. We deduced that a wizard hitdie is the size of a hip flask. Barbarians are two 40s.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Roth posted:

Just got back from work, so I'm still catching up on all the posts, but just one piece of advice to please not accuse people who like the prequels of being part of a cult or whatever. It's kind of weird.

This is literally something a crypto cultist would say.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Note I'm not talking about execution or performances or whatever just the underlying idea "10 year old kid has a crush on his 15 year old friend" is not inherently bad.

People are saying that Padme is the creeper.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

10 year old kid has a crush on his 15 year old friend

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea I get that

I have some doubts that you do.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

oh god do not pin this horrible loving thread

Too late. ULTIMATE POWER!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Jfc what exactly are you trying to smear me with now

The horrible crime of not being correct.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

In what way is anyone tiptoing? Plenty of people have been calling it child grooming.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

2house2fly posted:

What does she do to groom him?

"remember when you were a kid and a slave and I saved you and we had great adventures? Yea me too lemme see that D"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

The age gap isn't even in the top five most alarming things about their relationship.

• The time he choked her out in a jealous rage
  • The time she tried to forgive and console him for the time he committed genocide
  • They both had to keep it a secret from everybody, all the time
  • The Oedipal undertones arising from his separation from his mother
  • The time he said he wanted to make her the dictator of the entire known universe

The fact that she knew him when he was a kid seems downright tame in the context of a clandestine relationship between a naive person and a broken person based on idolization and pity and lust. It's not surprising that it's creepy and uncomfortable.

No doubt. But the specific thing being questioned was the age thing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

"Fandalorian" sounds way too reasonable to describe prequel lovers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Roth posted:

This has been such a normal thing in Star Wars that the lightsabers don't cast light on anybody except when specifically in dark areas that it barely even registers with me.

Right, which is why it's weird how they don't cast light when specifically in dark areas.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ruddiger posted:

There’s at least a half a dozen new and unique designs in this clip that are leaps and bounds more original than anything in the sequel trilogy.

"new" doesn't always equal good.

I just noticed this, but for some reason the federation missiles propulsion is in the front of the missiles. It's like kylo ren's light saber, and change that makes no sense and would make it function worse but it looks different so print it I guess?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Roth posted:

I mean, I won't pretend it's a perfectly lit scene, but this feels incredibly nitpicky.

Okay. But it's even weirder to be all "They only light stuff up when it's dark and that's normal" and also be all "it's totally normal that they don't light stuff up in the dark."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

in fairness, there are many bad movies and only three of them is a dumb gently caress late 90s star war prequel

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

the prequels are good

:wrong:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Man with Hat posted:

I just caught up and the funniest thing in this thread was when people were arguing for pages about whether or not Anakin has more midichlorians than Obi-Wan due to having more than Yoda when the scene goes "That's more than master Yoda!" "That's more than anyone"

To be fair no one remembers that scene because it's a terrible movie and everyone forgets as much about it as they can as a self defense mechanism.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Just quoting this as an example Star Wars fans efforts to jump through hopes to label something bad while describing accurately the ways it which it is good but not what they wanted

We get it you don’t like Star Wars films. They doesn’t mean they are bad

Just quoting this to show how bad someone wants someone, ANYONE, to agree that a bad movie is good that they'll quote someone saying it's a bad movie and say that the op is saying they're good even though they're saying it's bad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

They are saying it’s good !!

Attachment leads to jealousy the shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

But Lucas apparently didn't know he was going to be Luke's father initially so maybe that's just a weird coincidence. Count Duke isn't any sillier than that.

In a trilogy that includes as many poop jokes as the PT does, a name that sounds like a euphamism for poop is not an accident.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Are you saying Lucas made a movie he did not intend to make

That is bizarre

An accidental movie ??

Assuming he intended to make a good movie, he ended up making a bad movie so yes it would appear that he made a movie he did not intend to make.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

heh

going to show those nerds and make a terrible movie just to piss them off

heh

:goonsay:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ProTip: If you know the outcome of an action, and you take that action, you did that action on purpose. Just, you know, that's how the world works.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

What way do you mean? Try to describe it without using the word "bad" or any synonyms for "bad."

You are asking for the impossible. For they are bad movies.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I love the dedication some folks have to PT. "There's no way that the PT are incoherent, even though people are still discussing and disagreeing on what the themes are or what anything in the movies actually means 20 years later"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Ok tho for real the PT isn't bad.

No they were bad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

At first I thought everyone meant Whoppers and not Whoppers and I was about to have some posts about that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Being a fan is a limiting and toxicity-prone way of relating to media.

Nuclear Hot Take: Liking something is bad

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Imagine thinking something is good.

Making fun of the pear scene is Peak Toxicity and literally the only reason you could dislike it is because you are a fan

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Fandom is a specific kind of social activity undertaken in response to liking something.

Apparently the specific type of social activity is "making fun of a movie I like".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

The Prequel haters are all pretty unified in the dialogue sucking rear end and the acting being wooden. Why the Prequel lovers keep trying to talk past this I'll never know.

Because that's how internet argument do.

Oh, they have a valid criticism? Well, I can't acknowledge that so i'll just say they're toxic manboys who are fans and therefore...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

They were laughing about how good it was and what a good film they had just watched

Unless you are watching a comedy, laughing does not typically signal that you are excited about how good something is.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Saint Drogo posted:

Arnie's charm is a pretty decent comparison for the enjoyable bits of the prequels imo. but 'charming' is the best thing you can say for a lot of his movies too, the truly excellent films he was in were excellent without him & the howling well-meaning buffalo man was the cherry on top.

Commando is an excellent film and wouldn't have been the same without him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

I'm not really sure how else one can characterize Hayden Christensen's acting in those movies beyond words that are synonymous with "execrable."

The same goes for the performances of usually excellent actors like Portman, McGregor, Neeson, Jackson, etc.

Heads up.

Any words you use to level any criticism will be declared "a synonym for bad" forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't remember that scene, let's look it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPzUXlgBJrU

You may not like it, but this is what peak emotive acting looks like.