Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A+ thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

He should have just claimed that he did all the drugs on that one day a few years back when they were all legal.

I'm glad that Ireland can do stupid law tricks at least as well as the UK can.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey the passport thing worked really well for the brexit campaign :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It cuts off the best bit.

:lol:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It wasn't on live TV I assume but I think it might beat the funny tinge party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Booooooo.

Just imagine how far she could have gotten her foot into her own mouth if the transcript is anything to go by.

My bet is in and out the other end and then in again at least three times, like some sort of recursive oroborous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being fair SF is fairly keen on making Ireland a larger country than it is now :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean what else do you do if one of the candidates dies?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So, priorities:

1. No divorce.

2. Ireland needs an irish monarchy which is the same as the british monarchy, so that it can be a republic. But only for "irish loyalists" not irish nationalists.

3. This is communism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a large contingent of people in Ireland who want to rejoin the UK???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I mean... he's standing for election in dublin south west so I don't... necessarily know that the people in NI are going to be voting for him..?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Specifically by making queen elizabeth the queen of Ireland... Irishly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Nah I think you can keep her, this would be a new one. Pretty sure she's already the queen of Northern Ireland already.

He appears to want an Irish monarchy which is the same as the British monarchy, but only applies to some people... And not, apparently, to the landmass, which should be all under control of the republic??

Like this is crackers on some extremely impressive levels.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean he might also be suggesting making Ruaidhrí King of Connacht's corpse the king of the UK as well, and in fact might already have succeeded given the state of prince phillip recently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solidarty-PBP-ISF coalition 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird getting live turnout updates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that... good? Like a better left performance than expected?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I just checked the figures from the OP and that's a big jump for SF especially.

Greens doing well too.

I guess that probably means it's going to be an Interesting government given it's going to need a lot of coalition partners to make it work lol.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 8, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The maximum racism parties not appearing on the count is good aye.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PowerBeard posted:

I welcome any system of government that sees landlords getting warmed to knock off the abusive eviction / rent hike / rinse / repeat. Or failing that, has them piled into a rocket and launched into the Sun.

Very kind of you to engage in left wing internationalism and use your landlords to destroy the newspaper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Build a bridge out of the bones of landlords.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SF must be dancing in the streets lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Last place leo lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

it me, the people who not live on the planet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Historically good result for SF yeah?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Yeah - They only got less than 3% consistently before 2002 and only crossed over 10% at the last election in 2016 so massive increase

Was there a historic period where they did better or have they always been very small in the republic?

Also it's slightly funny seeing people (presumably Irish) on twitter fretting about "the party of the IRA" winning so many votes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah wikipedia has given me the impression that it is Complicated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sinn Fein can have little a nationalism, as a treat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

the IRA can blow up a few minor royals, as a treat

You might have to beat the queen to prince andrew at this rate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They need to tread a careful line though, Winning a massive swing and saying "no, we want more" is gonna annoy people especially if they're not winning off first preferences. Possibly especially given the party's tendency for... not participating in assemblies they're elected to lol which I think kustomkarcommando mentioned being a thing people say about them to me before.

Giving the impression of being willing but drawing strict lines might be necessary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm honestly fascinated by the prospect. I wonder how much temporary unifying power Mary Lou could wield by baldly stating "FFG are trying to set us up to fail, but if we swallow our pride for a couple of years we can permanently shake their grip on the country's bollocks"

I'm wondering that, if SF make it clear "we'll take the offer, but only if it actually gets stuff done" they can presumably frame FF as being obstructionist and wasting everyone's time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

you'd have to conclude that almost everything is compromised and every wank you ever had is saved in 4k resolution on an underground server in Langley

I assume this anyway as I find it helps the process along.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though if you bear in mind the infection rate is exponential and the death rate will likely be too, you could well be on course to kill that many people, and that's on top of a normal flu season.

It's sort of like watching someone fall off a cliff, splat at the bottom, and then jumping off yourself, then within the first second going "well I'm not falling very fast, I think this sensationalism about ending up as a bloody pulp at the bottom is very irresponsible"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 11, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blut posted:

The death rate is only exponential if the disease keeps expanding infinitely. Which it isn't.

China, with a population of 1.386 billion people has stabilized at 20 deaths a day for over a week now. Thats almost a statistical rounding error in a population of their size.

If Ireland has a similar death rate that would give us 1/280th of that. So approximately 0.07 deaths a day, once things stabilize.

China's total deaths to date is 3,158. Which, per capita for Ireland, would be 11 deaths total. Basically a single bad car crash.

And again, for context, the 'normal' flu kills approx 100,000 people a year in China every year. So given the current death numbers, and their low growth rate, its extremely, extremely, unlikely Corona comes anywhere near this.

If someone near and dear to you suffers an early death it is always terrible. But lets be realistic here - whats likely to happen in an Irish context is we have 10-50 (at absolute max) people who are already in their 80s die. No difference from a normal bad flu season.

Have you looked at why that's happening in China? The specific efforts they're going to do ensure that happens? Because it doesn't do that by itself.

And unless you see other countries doing that, it's going to keep being exponential.

Specifically saying that "shutting down entire countries is sensationalist and wrong" and then pointing to china's effective control of the problem is extremely galaxy brain.

The context for their infection rates is thus:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 11, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What a loving nerd lol, "how dare you be popular, that's intimidation"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Translation: They don't expect them to do it at all but don't want to say that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

And while I am sure all Anti-Semite are Anti-Israel, there are definitely people who are against the government of Israel and their actions without being Anti-Semitic.

You'd think so but there is a particular weird brand of antisemitism that is pro israel because they think it fulfils biblical prophecy and while judaism is clearly wrong and inferior it's necessary to bring about the rapture.

It's very visble in the Left Behind movies and books.

E: beaten!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The first article I found neglected to provide any context for who John Waters is so I was very confused for a while why the guy who made Pink Flamingos was apparently trying to fight the coronavirus lockdown in Ireland.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He may be pretty confined to Ireland and I am a perfidious tan.

He definitely looks like he's an Interesting person from looking at google :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An escalating record of my extreme Normalcy.