Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Hey guys. New to this thread. Been playing this game for a few months now, mostly against the computer to accomplish Quests since the rewards are really nice. I'm at the point now where I have 3-4 competitive decks and want to jump into ranked mode. Basically Burn Aggro and any deck with Vi.

However, I want to make sure I construct fun decks as well just to gently caress around with. Any suggestions? Sea Monsters was appealing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Every person will have different ideas of fun decks. Personally I think Deep is a good deck but not the most fun imo, since it has a very consistent line of play

Twisted Fate decks have a lot of play and utility, there's meme decks like Scribe of Sorrows or mono Fizz. In other games what do you find fun?

Usually find control/buff decks pretty fun.

Hence when I play Vi or They Who Endure I like to keep them in my hand as long as possible so I can slam down some big poo poo.

Also enjoy the Ledros card cause it's big and cuts the Nexus health in half.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

My favorite part of the game is seeing someone playing a fun deck and being able to try it out without being scared of wasting resources.

I also like loving around with cards and pulling off some crazy rear end combos I never thought about.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Picked this up a couple days ago and drat, it’s pretty fun!

Right now I’m just smashing the AI with the Spider deck getting Noxus XP and slowly working my way through the rewards. A guide put me on to battling an alt and auto conceding for some free bonus XP every day too.

Anything else I should be doing aside from daily quests and the friend duel concession shuffle? Slowly building up the cards to upgrade the Spider deck until I have enough wildcards to build something competitive.

drat didn't even think of the loving Alt account idea. Could have actually unlocked all the Blossom battle pass rewards!

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Awesome! posted:

friend challenges didnt give petals so you didnt miss out on any cheese there. you would have had to snipe yourself with your alt in random queues

Ah, that makes sense.

I got all the way up to the Shark, so I'm happy.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

What are some decks you all are running? Haven't really tapped into anything new yet.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

DrManiac posted:

I think my favorite all-rounder deck so far is Braum/Leona

CIAQUAYJC4NBWHBJGZGFMWDAAIAQCAIJAMBQSE2UKUAQEAYJGNLQ

The early daybreak drops are great for stopping a lot of early game threats dead in their tracks so you rely on them and your champions to stall them even more. Ideally you want to keep as many of them alive on the board as you can because it synergizes well with Leona's champion spell that re-triggers daybreak. Once you get to the mid-late game you start trying for the bigger invokes. The number of 3 drops in this deck could probably stand to be cut somehow and I dropped a braum because I kept getting clogged hands but other than that the deck has been pretty solid for me.

Swaim/Leona

CIBQCAIDFYCAEAYBA4EASBIDBENBYNSYMABQCAIDAQAQEAYDAMBQSEYXKYAA

This is basically just the old control swain with the daybreak package. You throw out a huge amount of stuns which work well with flock and getting swain's ability off. Might want to replace bastion with Hush. Also sunburst is dope as hell in general. There's just so many valuable targets in this game that it just cleanly removes.

Swim's Trundle/Aurelion ramp

CEBQIAYJCVKFMVYEAEAQYFAVEEBAGAIGBABAEAYJC5KQEAYBAQCQEAIDAEBACAIBGI

Basically you mulligan hard for trundle and some ramp you can play on turn 3 and try to survive to get Aurelion off. If he flips you're probably going to win. There's a bunch of aoe spells and heals so there's a lot of situations you can wiggle your way out of.

Thanks! Built the first deck. Need to save up a few more shards to build the others.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Finicums Wake posted:

i'm debating between playing this and mf/scouts

I like MF Scouts a lot.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

ShaneB posted:

It's weird how scouts seems like a deck I'd like and always has a 55+ win rate yet I'm terrible with it and don't like playing it. I think I don't get board control decks.

Yeah that is strange. It's definitely my go-to deck when I just want a win after eating poo poo with a new one.

I just like Miss Fortune blasting everything.

Also, got that Leona/Braum deck to work for me. I wasn't used to the Invoke mechanic so didn't really know how strong it was.

Definitely gonna try Swain/TF next since I really like TF.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Just tried that Swain/Leona deck and man, the stun locking is so fun.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

Spells that summon Celestial cards now summon two. Starshaping was great before, 10 health and double Invoke is even nicer.

I'm not encountering too many ASol decks in low Plat. I think I'm 2-2 against them. Ionia packs a lot of answers, and while they ramp faster, this deck can recover pretty easily (I regularly go from 1-4 Health to 20 in a turn) and just owns card advantage.

Also, for the record, I used the adjectives wild and exhilarating, but not good nor competitive, though I think this could take me to Diamond, where I usually top out.

Was cool that I had all the cards. Tested it out and the card advantage is pretty wild.

Definitely going to play it more.

Edit: Played two more games with it at low ranks. Didn't quite get the chance for the Karma combos, but was still fun.

Strawberry Panda fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 4, 2020

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I also just feel way less urge to try hard in Runeterra than I did with Hearthstone. Hearthstone the goal was to make legend. In Runeterra the goal for me is to get enough resources to make a new deck.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Minrad posted:

Okay I gave it a fair try for a day and I'm enjoying it more than I did the first go around. The mobile client working really well sold me pretty hard too, because I can go crank out games against the AI for my daily rewards when I have poo poo going on at work where nothing is happening but I might need to drop everything at a moment's notice. S'cool.

Basically what I do.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I play enough each week to get the random champion, but I only play vs AI because humans are far too slow

Same. I want the games to be 5 minutes, not 20+.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Also like that the Lab gives you the daily p2p exp.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Been playing card games for the last 20 years and the only one I ever paid attention to the lore of was Pokemon.

I still don't know what Runeterra is.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

But it's not abstract at all. It's world-building, it's really quite literally building the world of the setting. Most of the "wacky" as you call it is largely from Piltover and Zaun, including the cat, which is a place where steampunk and crystal magitek run rampant, it's appropriate for them to have things like the battlemech cat because they're the place that builds magic robots anyway.

It's also not just "this animation invokes stage lighting" it's, this animation is literally part of an animated pop star performance that would fit in the real world. It's a break in the versimillitude of the setting of the card game. It would be vastly preferable if there was at least an alternative version of the cards that at least is built into the setting of Runeterra.

There are a good number of people who were super into the card game specifically because it expands on the lore and setting of Runeterra, and these cards break that in a way that's awkward and they didn't have to. Each region has a clear tone and consistency to it's art and animations and the K/DA stuff has none of that, it's all K/DA.

At the cost of potentially being got. Runeterra is the name for the planet the card game is set in, there's a map of the currently relevant locations here. It's honestly a pretty nice little animated map for the setting.

Thanks for the map. Not getting you, just have never played League of Legends.

I'm curious about how the card game builds on the lore. Also, is K/DA not part of Runeterra? I don't know anything about them, either.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I haven't paid attention to the meta in a few weeks. What's everyone running now? Still Lee Sin?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I've been playing Pirates and winning like 90% of my games. It's insane, but maybe because I'm just in Bronze. There are no bad attacks, it's all-in every time and close the game with burn spells.

Pirate burn or a different archetype?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Swim has amazing videos on the game and it's cool that he has a series about how to construct your own decks.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Getting back into this game after taking a break.

Excited that I have enough resources to make some of the top meta decks, but anything off-meta people have been loving around with that are fun?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Yes want to play with all the decks!

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I sorta wish I hadn't made a Maokai/Nautilus Deep deck right before Shurima released but on the other hand Deep is a fascinating mechanic and also some dude kicked my rear end with a Deep deck once.

I got Maokai as my second champion as Hecarim for the Lab of Legends. Was able to level him up and mill Viktor at the end!

Love Maokai decks.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Barudak posted:

Just started playing this game. Leona seems very not great, is that the case?

Leona/Swain decks are super fun to play. Don't know if they're actually any good right now, though.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I feel like I need to construct my Lab of Legends boons/deck to beat Guard Bots, but also make sure I don't lose too much health on the poison cap deck.

Trying to do it with Lucian now but I feel like I keep messing up my strategy at the end.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

For Lucian...

- Extra Mana or 2-cost at Game Start for better chance of bringing out Lucian instantly. I prefer Extra Mana because getting it lets you get Senna out on Round 2 and the Challenger Bird (2/1 that plays a copy of itself) on Round 3. If you let Senna die on Round 2, then congrats, you've got a Level'd Lucian on Round 2!
- Overwhelm/Scout/Elusive on Lucian all help him ensure damage while attacking. Just having 1 should be enough. You don't need Overwhelm if you have Elusive, obviously. I prefer Overwhelm though because having units block you means less units they have to attack you with on their turn. Spellshield can save him from most things that aren't Vulnerable/Challenger. Challenger + Overwhelm will let you pick off enemy units while still dealing damage. Dragon's Fury is a win more buff if you have Challenger/Overwhelm on him but doesn't do much if the enemy refuses to block him.
- Stat boosts on Lucian. Phage is fantastic, since it doesn't raise his cost and gives him added survivability so he doesn't die to the Jinx spell/ Mystic Shot / the 4th fight that inflicts Vulnerable on your weakest unit (if you bring out Lucian on Round 1, you might end up losing him on Round 2 if the AI brings out the Frostbite 3/1 unit unless you have the +1/1 burst spell / 4 health on Lucian / Poros at Round Start). Doran saves him from Mystic but still gets him killed by the other stuff.
- Rally every round means double the damage (technically).
- Saplings / Poros are always good to pick up down the line. Saplings have the Challenger and higher Attack but only activate with Attack Tokens, while Poros come out every turn so you can control when they die (so Lucian can level up / activate Rally).

Also sometimes you get super lucky like in my case where Sejuani never summoned anything for like 4 rounds so she couldn't do poo poo to me in my latest Lucian run.

This is awesome. For some reason never thought it was worth putting overwhelm on Lucian but I'll give that a go!

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

The PvE mode has caused me to stick up double birds at my computer screen more times than I'd like to admit, but I'm always queueing into a new run right after.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Finally got my Lucian win with Elise. Buffer Elise, buffed Lucian and started with the Sapling whenever I got the attack token. Guard finally didn't stand a chance. Beat 'em before the 8 8s came down.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Sloppy posted:

I've actually lost to it where it snowballed and I drew expensive garbage. I don't remember what I was playing.

Anyone know why the thread is downvoted so hard? Seems like a chill and happy thread.

No clue. I've never seen people fight in here.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Just did a Riven run really easily. Had the start the game with a 2 cost card perk and got Riven's cost down to 2. Then had the perk where which ever spell you cast also casts on the weakest friendly unit. Then got Riven to be elusive.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I find level Aphelios up real fast works. Also, when you're getting down on health, comboing lifesteal weapon with overwhelm weapon on and any other buffs can get you back up to full health quickly.

I actually won my Aphelios run with Katarina as my second champion. I had a destroy Landmark spell though and if you destroy the computer landmarks, Scars and Foundry are stupid easy.

I also find the Nab mechanic OP in Lab of Legends. Computer can't do crazy poo poo if you have all it's crazy cards.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Neuronyx posted:

The labs kind of suck. Fairly certain the AI cheats when you reach Thresh, on account of him being able to draw the card that does 3 damage to any unit you summoned this round, every single time you manage to draw enough units to do some good damage. The first two times I could call coincidence, but several more after that means it's not playing fair.

Never really have a problem with Thresh. But you could get Nab and just steal his cards instead.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Been using the same HecAzir deck since the expansion, mostly against the computer. I usually end up keeping Hecarim in my hand because playing him leveled up is usually an insta-win.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

PJOmega posted:

You can't deck out, but the enemy has always lost from decking out. Most noticable in Guard Bots and whatever deck had Carina.

I thought I could deck out the computer before the patch and was really disappointed when Foundry ran out of cards and kept playing.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Trying the lab out on hard, the enemy has +5 nexus health and the extra items it has seem to be limited to bosses: Thresh has Doran's Blade (+1/+1), Sejuani has Sterak's Gage (Fury) and Viktor has The Brutalizer (Overwhelm). It's not like it isn't harder - the 5 health gives the AI a little longer to overwhelm you (especially on the later levels), so more runs will end in failure as you go up each difficulty but it feels like it's only asking you to be luckier, not play better.

Speaking of playing better, they definitely didn't improve the AI at all:
https://s1.webmshare.com/WxdYd.webm

Was about to lose to Guard Bots on my Azir run and then, with me having no more blockers and the computer having 5 8 8s on the board, instead of open attacking the computer used Progress Day, draws the rest of his deck and fatigues.

I promptly kick Viktor's rear end after.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Was scared of my first Taliyah run, but was able to grab Kalista and Yipp's and it was the most dominant run I've ever had.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

I personally feel like when you're frustrated at the game it can be therapeutic to read others yelling about the mechanics, which is why the Hearthstone Bitching Thread was a favorite of mine.

Runterra doesn't have it's own complaint thread so where else can you really post about it running some bullshit?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Neuronyx posted:

You're right, which is why I apologized before. But I wasn't hostile this time, I used one sentence to just bitch about something before I'm ranted at several posts later.

Just don't use the P word or the B word and you'll be fine. Plenty of other fun words to use to describe your ails with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Yeah, I do the same thing. Mana Gem for Lucian, Yipp for Azir/MF/Hecarim (sometimes), and Spell Mana for Aphel are what I generally go with, but all (except Spell Mana) are Rare perks so they require a ton of rerolling.

My latest win was a Lucian deck with +2/Nab on Lucian, with extra Mana Gem for Turn 1 Lucian, Saplings every Attack token, Rally every opponent's turn, Ephemeral on Senna for instant level'd Lucian, secondary champ Leblanc with Twin Shadow, and random pickup Katarina (for even more Rallies).

Very dominant setup. Only way it could have been stronger is with Overwhelm on Lucian, I think.

There's so much potential for the Lab mode, I feel, but I'm not sure how interested Riot is on working on it. I still really enjoy the mode a lot, but it could be better!

It's probably way more of a hit than they expected it to be so I think they'll keep developing it.