Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What do we not like about mobalytics? New to the Riot scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Well now it's Swims?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just went 1|5 on my first Expedition run. This is fantastic. It really does a lot of cool little things (picking bundles instead of cards, the slow progression of your deck as you play, getting two runs so you don't get totally screwed by RNG) that just make the whole thing sing.

Also, naming the bundles is cute and a nice touch.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Drafted an Ashe in my Expedition run and frak that's a fun Champion.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Hauki posted:

Yeah Ashe looks sweet and I’d like to try it, but I haven’t opened any naturally and I’ve still got weird hangups about just getting the cards I want courtesy of ~loot box card games~

I guess I should finish my expeditions for the week and see what I open there, champions are my biggest hurdle for trying anything new at this point. Otherwise I’ve got a decent number of C/R wildcards saved up at this point for only having played a few days, the game does feel pretty generous in that regard.

Don't forget you can't get repeats. As such, buying any Champion is equivalent to buy any other Champion - you'll eventually get them all, you're just spending money (or Champ wildcards) to get the one you want sooner.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Studio posted:

The Rumor is that there will be a balance patch this week. Which makes sense, they had the minor patch last week, now comes the major, and the major should continue every 2 weeks through beta or until further announced.

What?

Didn't they say on the 4th that they'll patch every other Tuesday? And that every other patch will be a big one. My understanding is that they'll do a big patch on the 18th, and then a small patch on the 3rd, etc. The most recent patch was where they announced this whole new patch schema.

The rumor is that they're already going to do an out of band patch? Yeesh. That's concerning.

Riot posted:

Finally, patch size and content. For now, we’re switching off between large patches and small patches with each release, with 0.8.3 being a small one and 0.9.0 in two weeks being a large one. The biggest difference between small and large patches will be balance and major card updates—generally, we’ll consolidate those in the once-per-month large patches.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Went 7 wins (first time!) with a Demacia/Ionia deck that was all just bombs and answers. That's not the point.

Since I could lean into the jank for the second trial, I went with Teemo. Still ongoing, but I've never played Teemo before, and who-doggy. Teemo's loving hilarious.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

guts and bolts posted:

on my alt account

What's the point of an alt account?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've become so enamored with Runeterra that I can't play Eternal anymore. Which means, until Runeterra comes out on mobile, Duolingo's my pooping game of choice. Yo estoy muy feliz con Runeterra.

I thought it was interesting that they announced their "big patch, small patch" schedule with a small patch. Very excited / curious to see what we can expect every four weeks for the big patches. Lot of expectation-setting is going to happen at 11 AM Pacific today.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Patch notes are up in Russian, apparently: https://playruneterra.com/ru-ru/news/patch-0-9-0-notes/

Translation from reddit:

Lux is now 4/5 and 5/6 when leveled up.

Yasuo is needs to stun/recall 1 less unit to level up.

Back to back is 6 mana.

Arena Battlecaster has 2 health.

Crimson Curator has 3 health.

Deny costs 4.

Inspiring mentor has 2 health, but only gives +1/+0 to a unit in hand.

Jeweled protector is now 4/4.

Kinkou Lifeblade is now 2/2.

Commander Ledros costs 9, has 9 strength and nexus health is rounded up.

Rhasa costs 8.

Scuttlegeist has fearsome.

Tortured Progidy has 4 strength now.

Wraithcaller lost fearsome.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Having just crafted my third Ashe, I'm okay with this.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

TyrantWD posted:

This patch completely ruined the only complete deck I had (Freljord/Ionia elusive/buff).

It's going to be difficult to switch to something new without buying some champion wild cards, so I'll probably take things slow for the next few weeks and just complete quests to get more unlocks.

This definitely feels like a game that wants you to spend some money but not too much.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was just talking about how I've never liked limited in any other digital card game, but I'm loving it in Runeterra. I basically play Expeditions all the time, even though I'm slowly developing a decent constructed collection.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

FallenGod posted:

What's the draw for you? I've disliked every limited mode I've ever played in a card game, this one included, due to the game play consisting of two players rubbing piles of random trash together.

Two players rubbing random trash together is a draw for me, actually. Sure, the variance will get you from time to time, but I find that I actually "play" more, because I'm not just enacting my deck's game plan. I mean, I am, and good drafters obviously do that, but when I'm playing (say) Elites or midrange Ashe, I'm mostly following a script. With a limited mode, I'm constantly trying to figure out my deck and I like that.

I'm just really bad at it. And most games don't offer any incentive to play unless you're bad at it. As a mediocre[*] Expeditions player, the combination of

• Guaranteed champions
  • The opportunity to refine your deck between games
  • Measuring consecutive losses instead of total losses
  • TWO ATTEMPTS

all combine to make it a much more enjoyable format for me. It's still players rubbing random trash. That is (I think) intrinsic to the format.

[*] I've got double-digit 7-win trials, but I think that's luck as much as skill.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Draynar posted:

Warmother control is fun deck.

What are peoples thoughts on limiting buying cards per week? I kinda dislike it since I like to have a ton of decks but my wallet appreciates the artificial cap on spending.

Warmother Control is a fun deck. I'm bad at it, but I like it.

My understanding was that, originally, you couldn't spend money at all, and they only added that feature due to pressure from the community. A game hasn't come out yet that's entirely supported by cosmetics, but I think Riot may be going for it. We'll see how it plays out.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Tomorrow is Small Patch Tuesday.

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-0-9-1-notes/

Faster animations, new cosmetics, bug fixes.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I need to get better about playing around the Harrowing. I'm not sure how to play around it, but I need to get better, because it's really the only card that's stomping on my Warmother deck.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

acumen posted:

Do people actually get champions from vaults? I have received 0 so far getting level 10+ every week since open beta began.

4 vaults, and I have opened one champion. Although this week, I got 5 epics, so I'm not really complaining.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I can handle the aggro, it's the "following up the aggro with the Harrowing" that I can't solve.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Pilchenstein posted:

Just discovered that silencing shark chariot doesn't prevent it from coming back to life, which sucks.

The differences in ways that this is and is not a "card" game with physical cards is... frustrating. Not enough to turn me off of the game, but enough. The fact that some things refer to "instances" of a card and some don't is really unintuitive.

Like, Hearthguard and Omen Hawk can modify cards in your deck, so we can keep track of things in ways actual card games can't. But when things leave play, we're *not* going to keep track of it, we're just going to use the platonic version of the card. Unless we say "EVERYWHERE", in which case we're modifying the platonic version of the card.

I do not love it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shabadu posted:

This game has a rule of zone transfer resetting all text on a card, specifically so that recall works to reset a card that's been debuffed (or buffed). This is consistent to how Shark Chariot's text works because moving to the dead zone resets its text. It would probably require a re-write of the card for it to work like a (defending) player would want.

This is also wildly different from Eternal, where changes to cards are permanent and track from grave to hand to deck. That game has effects that can be applied to cards both temporary and permanent that prevent them from being removed from grave, plus the ultimate removal of putting a card on the bottom of the deck, which in a game with zero shuffling is basically banishment.

Exactly. I don't think the Runeterra framework is internally inconsistent, but it feels to me like they've chosen a few disparate ideas and thrown them together.

In Magic, a card can't be modified if it's not in play. (Except, I guess, cost?) You can treat a card not in play as if it's something else, but a card in Magic is what it is unless it's in play, where you can put tokens on it or whatever. (Someone chime in if I'm wrong, it's been a few years.)

In Eternal, a card can be modified anywhere. Give a card in your hand an ability. Buff cards in your deck. Buff cards in your graveyard. Debuff cards in your opponent's graveyard. Et cetera.

In Runeterra, it's a mish mash? You can buff cards in your deck. They keep that buff if they go deck->hand, or deck->play, or hand->play, but not if they go back to a hand. Or to the graveyard.

I feel, having spent a fair amount of time thinking about it, that it's internally consistent, but not intuitive.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So, I Hextech Transmogulator'd a follower into a Switftwing Lancer, only to not get an Elite when the unit died. Same thing with a Shady Character. Bug, or working as intended?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

No Wave posted:

You can only pull random cards from your faction unless explicitly stated otherwise like mageseeker conservator and only demacia has elites. If one of your factions was demacia you would have gotten it. (yes this is kind of stupid)

I absolutely love this game, but the lack of clear rules / templating is just hot garbage.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't think the game is in a bad state right now, but I totally understand people have lists of things that might be broken.

I do not understand how Rally makes anybody's Top 5 list, unless they just got wrecked by it and are feeling tilted.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Ashe/Elise deck code for the lazy: CEBAIAIBA4LB4JQGAECRIJZIGE2TQAQBAEASUAYBAUBSENQCAEAQCEQBAECQC

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/state-of-the-beta/

The State of the Beta from Riot makes me happy. Text clarity is very good.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

hit button posted:

Flame Chompers are summoned by other cards though, that's their point. Meta discard oriented decks will generally run 3 of them.

My personal picks for bad cards would be these guys.

I have no idea what either of them are for.

Arena Bookie is there as a reminder you accidentally queued up an AI game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Thankfully, they're already planning on new modes!

Query: I thought if you chose half of a Champion set in draft, your second pick guaranteed they'd show up? I got offered a Cloning Factory with Anivia, and didn't get offered Ezreal. Did I miss something?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I played Hearthstone and Eternal muted, but I keep Runeterra unmuted for that reason.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Threshdamere

CEBAIAIBAMFRMJYIAECQCFBIGE2DMNZYAEAQCAJJAIAQCBIZAEAQCFY

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Sad about the changes to Expeditions. LoR was the first game where I got in to draft. I'm terrible at it, but try-harding was relatively free. Alas.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
With 53 cards per region right now, 63 cards for the new region plus 10 for each of the original six makes 123.

Very excited

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

From Discord.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Are you talking about Judgment?

That's not all your of your units, it's all of your battling units. Are you overcommitting against a Demacia player with 8 free mana?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
That's the thing - I don't think you need to play tossers. Or more than one or two. I don't think he's a build-around. I mean, he can be, but also, he's a package in and of himself. Throw him into any "things die aggro" deck, and he's your late game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I wanna try out buffed Yasuo. Anybody got a good deck?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

ShaneB posted:

Yasuo is gonna tilt me for awhile now I sus. What removal deals with him cleanly besides like a 4 mana beam or Vengeance at 7? Hope to Guillotine him? Going to have to go back to trick-based stuff I guess.

I figure a go-wide deck should be good enough against people trying Stun stuff, right? Can't stun all my stuff...

The most fun I've had with the deck linked above is when you play Intimidating Roar, because, in fact, I can stun all your stuff.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Shabadu posted:

Nothing brings me closer to climax than a leveled Yasuo intimidating roar wiping an entire board full of dorky elusives or spiders.

I have recently discovered this kink.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What is the back row? An enemy not engaged in combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So basically it's a fast stun but not a combat trick. Huh.