Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Who What Now posted:

It really bugs me because in the opening of the fight where Sideous locks sabers with the two of them all Maul's brother had to do was slash upwards with the reverse blade and the fight would have been over.

E:

It's still a good fight, that just stood out to me.

Palpy knew he wasn't gonna do that. he is that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

if i were a jedi i would simply get a longer lightsaber

Yeah that's really the problem when you decide your katana analogue is gonna be a laser sword. A longer katana has the cost of weighing more, a longer laser sword weighs nothing... Though I guess at some degree of extra length it would still end up basically impossible to use without cutting yourself.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Imagine a Death Star but with a light saber

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
I call it a laser

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
The best lightsaber battles are the short ones where they get to the point instead of making you sit through a videogame cutscene with an ocean backdrop.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wait what i dont remember that part of the video

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Pollyanna posted:

wait what i dont remember that part of the video

Skip to 22:30 for the ultimate lightsaber style.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

the eu reasoning behind vader's suit is amazing though, "it's supposed to suck"

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Lightsabers are cool.

Except for that dude with knee and elbow lightsabers, jfc.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dash Rendar posted:

Palpy knew he wasn't gonna do that. he is that good

Yeah but he should have done that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
further proof savage oppress is a scrub :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

if i were a jedi i would simply get a longer lightsaber

https://youtu.be/NuUGrtmjQfY

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
As much as I dislike the execution of saber fights in the movies, I like the charactization of saber forms as a concept. Like how after watching Qui-Gon beef it hard using the force-augmented flippy form Obi-Wan switched to the form focused of defense and counter-attacks. Anakin was a brash young dipshit who used a very aggressive form that incorporated some moves that Obi-Wan would have taught. Those are cool ideas on paper that don't translate well to movies made by George Lucas.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Lightsaber fights in 4-6 were good because the actors weren't super athletic.

They were like:
*swing*
*swing*
~dialog~
*parry*
*swing*
~dialog~
*thrust*
~dialog~
-done-

One minute tops, usually less. You really felt like the light-sabers were lethal and dangerous.

In 7-9 the lightsaber battles were super boring to me, because they just dragged and dragged. And you always knew that only the last 30 seconds was going to matter anyways, and the rest was just wasted screen-time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The only consequential martial form in Star Wars is Teräs Käsi.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Poopernickel posted:

They were like:
*swing*
*swing*
~dialog~
*parry*
*swing*
~dialog~
*thrust*
~dialog~
-done-

One minute tops, usually less. You really felt like the light-sabers were lethal and dangerous.

In 7-9 the lightsaber battles were super boring to me, because they just dragged and dragged. And you always knew that only the last 30 seconds was going to matter anyways, and the rest was just wasted screen-time.

No, yeah, any lightsaber fight that goes on longer than a full minute really strains the disbelief because it becomes absurd that even dueling precogs wouldnt have at least a scratch by then. It's just a glow stick rave and not a fight.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The lightsaber duels in 7 were like ot length tho.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I thought 7 was fine from a lightsaber perspective; you really only had the one Rey-Kylo fight and both of them clearly weren’t masters of the techniques so they’re both kind of just wildly swinging at each other

8 was when they went back to the prequel-esque spectacle but honestly if more movies want to have an elaborately choreographed dance-fight in the middle of them I say go for it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

The only consequential martial form in Star Wars is Teräs Käsi.

look at this goober, forgetting the discipline of the matukai

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just LMAO if you didn’t main the Tusken Raider and his Gaderaffi Stick

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Galewolf posted:

It was a redeeming scene after lightsaber helicopters (for fucks sake): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sOvNYYH6Cs

Wait, the same cartoon series that had an old-school samurai duel where tension was built from stance changes had LIGHTSABER HELECOPTERS

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Grondoth posted:

Wait, the same cartoon series that had an old-school samurai duel where tension was built from stance changes had LIGHTSABER HELECOPTERS

disney+ lookin like a better deal every drat day

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Galewolf posted:

It was a redeeming scene after lightsaber helicopters (for fucks sake): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sOvNYYH6Cs

like i know its a kids cartoon about space wizards but still what the gently caress

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My fav lightsaber form was purple, slow and high damage hell yah

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

They were like:
*swing*
*swing*
~dialog~
*parry*
*swing*
~dialog~
*thrust*
~dialog~
-done-

In OT a saber fight was more like a tense scene in a play and it was rare, in prequrls they were ridiculous fast paced action bullshit and happened way too often, i thought in 7-9 they were at least closer to OT than to prequels

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Grondoth posted:

hell yeah i fuckin love star wars

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
if you think about it, the gaudy excessiveness of the prequel lightsaber battles show how the jedi have been living in a power tripping fantasy where they think life is a game, furthermore

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I really like how Star Wars Rebels or whatever the gently caress it's called, the one that did the old Obi and Maul fight, they animated the blades of lightsabers as really thin. That seems like it's more in line with what was imagined originally than the fat sabers we have.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I've watched multiple videos about which Star Warses would kick another Star Wars's rear end and the only forms I can remember are the training form, the fencing form, the laser deflecting form, and that one form Luke made in the EU.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Rebels is my favorite piece of Star Wars media by, like, a lot, but yeah the helicopter lightsabers are pretty hard to defend.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The lightsaber helicopters are funny and that's defense enough

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Roth posted:

, much like your posting

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

alnilam posted:

, much like your posting

Thanks friend

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Roth posted:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
one thing i never got was in the prequels they’d constantly impale people or throw sabers into their chest

wouldn’t the blade just kinda slide out or through them? why is this the one point in the series where they have resistance

shouldn’t driving all of your weight into a saber against a prone person just make your blade go all the way into the floor

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The best lightsaber style is gun.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Count Dooku's lightsaber is the coolest one. I think the novilization of episode 2 said he was a fencer and it made it difficult for jedi to duel him cuz it put them off balance.
And then we get the movie and homeboy is just swinging away 2 handed like frank thomas or some poo poo. lmao like why even bother with that detail?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Count Dooku's lightsaber is the coolest one. I think the novilization of episode 2 said he was a fencer and it made it difficult for jedi to duel him cuz it put them off balance.
And then we get the movie and homeboy is just swinging away 2 handed like frank thomas or some poo poo. lmao like why even bother with that detail?

Double the hands, twice the fail

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

*super mega turbo flips over the railing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ThingOne posted:

The best lightsaber style is gun.