Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Testekill posted:

A sight that we can all enjoy. The violent little grub shouldn't have even played the semi final let alone the grand final.

Counterpoint. Toby Greene is both cool and good

to watch lose grand finals.

*Edit, just read the thread title and it has never been more true that there is only one slight ray of enjoyment in this terrible burning land and that is the oval ball (but not THAT oval ball).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Max Gawn may have done a knee. Book your ski trips now fellas!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

My freaking ears

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Wow, they purposly downgraded their themesong to below Freo and the Suns. Good job weagles.

https://twitter.com/tom_king79/status/1224884276254011392

I think I know how they could have fixed this... I mean, Brad Scott isn't employed by North Melbourne anymore anyway...

Why even bother with a body double? Its not like it makes photoshopping Scott in any easier and you can get the lighting off dangerwood there.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Shorter quarters contributes, but also a lower combined level of skill across the field than the men's teams due to the elite pathways being only brand new, so most current players came straight from amateur leagues. Means more scramble, less precision passing, which is what the amateur level is for both men and women.

Most AFL players come out of the AFL run junior competitions like the TAC Cup, or the AIS, which are pretty much professional in everything but player salaries from age 12 onwards, and have been for at least 20 years.

I would genuinely like to know if the smaller ball contributes.

Having now watched it live the biggest takeaway for me is a large portion of the players have "adult learned skills" where its just not as natural to do a lot of things. Basically it reminds me a lot of my own skills playing footy as I came to playing really late, in my 20s. This is going to change considerably once you have a lot more women come through who have played since juniors all the way through.

Saints vs Doggies game was good, particularly the last quarter even though it was all done and dusted by half time.

When are they going to increase the quarters to something reasonable? I run out 25min set quarters all the time in the ammos and I am not nearly as fit as most of these women players.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

They weren’t a foundation club :crossarms:

When they did join they took like three seasons to win a match and that was after requesting a count back on the scores.

Huh? Yeah, we were.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Welp, my bad. For some reason I thought there were a couple of years of a six team VFL before you joined.

Well there may as well have been.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Saints and Carlton were invited to join the VFL to boost the number of games per week. Splitting away from the VFA. Hotham is older than some of the foundation VFL clubs, now known as North Melbourne.

Back then they were the poor clubs. Carlton didn't have a permanent home and were nomads, playing games at the MCG, Royal Park and just open parkland at the southern end of Princes Park. A stipulation of joining the VFL was that grounds needed to be fenced to tickets could be sold. This spurred Carlton to set up a proper home ground at Princes Park, where we remain.

Saints just remained smallish, Junction Oval being home, but only 1km away from South Melbournes homeground at Lakeside Oval, a larger club with more supporters.

Anyway, looks like the AFL is actually not grabbing every dollar possible.

Of course, they announced that the centre circle will be a coles logo this year, instead of the toyota one. So it'll look like absolute garbage painted red. ugh.

Isnt the coles logo just a word?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Basil "PM deserves a holiday" Zempalis is a colossal fuckwit.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

harperdc posted:

If the NBA and others are postponing things instead of going behind closed doors, I can’t see footy going forward with closed-door games of their own. I don’t think it’s the right solution.

Given the weekly nature of footy schedules — not sure you can pack in mid-week games — it’ll probably wind up being a shortened season. Only question is how short.

Why not?

The entire issue with this is the crowds providing greater infection chances. Closed games will have likely a hundred or two people working in what are effectively huge stadiums.

If players come down with it well then you cant do much about that.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Windmill Hut posted:

I'm still having a hard time trying to wrap my head around COVID-19 and how this is going to play out. Surely there is zero chance we'll have a season this year. Other sports are completely shutting down and we're already closing AFL games to crowds when only 250 of almost 25,000,000 Australian's have gotten the virus. Surely this is only going to get worse and there is no chance this just "blows over" in a few months?

Im still trying to figure out how people think we can just shut everything down for the several months that would be required without basically ruining tens of thousands of people's lives due to sudden lack of work for months on end.

I mean just in general, its going to effect hundreds of thousands of people in the service industry who are already vulnerable. Probably not the right thread for it though.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I expect them to push the start of the season back 7 weeks. Honestly, if we cant get things back to a working society in that period of time we are going to have a lot more to worry about then the footy.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Hey guys, remember that awesome thing you went to on the weekend you can talk to your friends and family about? Oh wait that was cancelled. But its okay theres.. oh no thats cancelled as well.

There is just about nothing loving going on for anyone to really look forward to for potentially months, stop loving bitching about the footy being a bit different and be loving grateful we have even this distraction from the virus poo poo.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I know Eddie Maguire is generally a dickhead but it is good him calling out Pell on his bullshit "woe is me" garbage Bolt has come up with.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

teacup posted:

I can’t see what you are talking about can you link it?

Eddie is a funny one in that he’s been a racist and an idiot and out of touch, but he’s also a kid who grew up in broady and maybe 50% of the time he remembers that. There’s a reason that maybe 10-15 years back when there was rumours he’d get into politics he was rumoured to come in with labor not liberals.

It was from his breakfast show with Luke Darcy. It comes from the catholic upbringing and having been part of the whole schooling system is pretty aware of the abuse that happened in those places so I think its a pretty personal thing.

Also his brother is a labor state senator so he is a pretty labor leading.

Basically Maguire is a pretty stock standard Australian. A bit racist and sexist but has the ability to not be a total prick all the time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Missing footy so decided to splurge $25 on The Suburban Footballer's book but hosed up my address in the order form.

One email later that was sorted but he did decide to leave a personalised card in it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

harperdc posted:

How feasible would it be to have the Victorian teams basically each host one of the interstate teams for practice facilities? Hosting games and which stadiums host is one thing, but limiting the number of places the players go and limiting the need for non-AFL facilities would be important too.

Just jam them all into Seaford and pay us for the privilege.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

That sure as gently caress wasn't the Sam Newman take I was expecting

https://twitter.com/Origsmartassam/status/1257098528427401218?s=20

I must have misread it earlier as I thought he was going on about people having goes at the cops in the first place.

Odd.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

All this "Vic bias" garbage is starting to get a bit loving old.

How about the rest of the clubs give up their homeground advantages first and then we can start talking.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’d rather the whole season get cancelled than players and their families be pressured into some garbage hub idea where they don’t see each other for weeks/months on end.

:qq: but people need something to look forward to! :fuckoff: Buy a Netflix account instead of expecting families to suddenly go single parent for you to get your rocks off on sportsball. Football is about as far from an essential service as you could get

:qq: but other workers are putting themselves at risk or disrupting their and their families lives, why shouldn’t footballers that get paid way more. Yes. They are. In many cases in jobs that should not currently be operating. That’s not a reason to gently caress over other people. People in legit essential industries should be getting hazard pay to accommodate the risk they are being exposed to. The fact that they aren’t is again not a reason to gently caress over footballers and their families.

Hubs are a loving garbage idea and it has nothing to do with vic bias or integrity of the competition. They will cause harm to the players and their families through forced separation and football ain’t loving worth it.

This is a pretty garbage way of thinking mate. If you accept that then why ever bother with the football again? You literally just hosed off one entertainment industry whilst going on about signing up to another. As one of those pricks who is in an essential service and still gets paid shitasticly I say bring on the loving football.

If there is an actual feasible method to do this that isnt actually risky then I dont see an issue. Meanwhile, there are thousands and thousands of jobs out there where people dont see their families for months and months on end. If the individual players want to opt out, fine they can cut their pay further and sit it out.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

gently caress you and your entitled bullshit telling players and their families to separate so you can watch them chase a ball around because you’re bored.

Go gently caress yourself you sanctimonious rear end. There are dozen of loving industries that go through much harder loving times and issues then footballers being asked to perhaps do 18 weeks if they loving want to.

Your entire life right now is based around raising a 7month which no doubt takes all your time. How about you think about the hundreds of thousands of people out there who have no family nor friends to see and are otherwise living in total isolation and slowly getting more and more depressed with their situation where just perhaps the football may be one glimmer of breaking this poo poo loving cycle.

So basically gently caress off you rear end in a top hat.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Punishment should be Tex walker having to be captain again.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

gabensraum posted:

The AFLPA has consistently showed they represent the top players more than the journeymen so this would not be a surprise. They're like the Shoppies of sport. The union you have when you don't have a union.

I was going to say the AFLPA aren't making hands over feet money like the SDA does then I remembered Dangerfield is on the board so you're actually 100% right.

What a loving joke. The initial contract players shouldnt have had their income touched at all.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

More new cases of COVID in Victoria, but sure let's start the AFL up again entirely based in Melbourne, it's totally safe

The point of restrictions was to reduce transmission rates to a point where our hospitals can cope and keep the death rate down to flu like levels as opposed to cataclysmic levels. We cant just continue to hole up or a lot more people are going to perish just from the social and economic fallout.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

I completely agree. Much like the Brownlow is best AND fairest, there should be some character element, (with don't sexually assault anyone at the very least of it), involved in stuff like Hall of Fame/Legend status.

And on Carey, Iwould be down with everytime his name is mentioned, it is prefaced with "sexual assaulter". Much like "convicted drug cheat and match fixer"Shane Warne, or "Engadine Maccas pants shitter" Scott Morrisson.

When was Carey accused of sexual assault? He's a gently caress who glassed his girlfriend and hasnt shown a hint of real remorse but I dont recall any sex pest stuff?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

teacup posted:

He groped a woman’s breast at a club in Melbourne, when she protested at it iirc he said to her “why don’t you get a bigger pair of tits”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Carey

He was forced to apologise after but years later admitted he wasn’t actually sorry at all.

What a gently caress.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Well in good news actual legitimate good bloke Lenny Hayes is now a Hall of Famer!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Get in the bin richmond.

Also hawks.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Does this mean Collingwood is also bad? :getin:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Well that's awesome. VAFA has just cancelled our season entirely, most likely due to the recent outbreak. loving assholes, it wasnt THAT loving hard to not throw parties and not loving act children who cant keep their fingers to themselves.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Memento posted:

Well maybe fascist is too harsh but there sure is a lot of Ben Shapiro, Rita Panahi and Dana Loesch in his likes on twitter.

You know, if you're gonna be a conservative right win poo poo bag why not at least aspire towards memorable right wing bastards like Reagan or Howard as opposed to third rate gently caress knuckles like those three.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

This new holding the ball rule is absolutely atrocious. They have completely ignored the whole "prior opportunity" part of it. The AFL are a bunch of morons.,

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Deserved to lose that. Just deplorable.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The amount of absolutely wrong calls this weekend really makes me re-think if the AFL should be honestly investigated by an independent body. If you had fifa/cricket umpires actively misinterpret the rules like they have been doing they would be investigated for potential match fixing.

Its always been in a somewhat grey area with poor umpiring but Ive never before seen them actively ignore the rules as written before. Either someone is negligent with all this or they're on the take.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

cmndstab posted:

It's almost as if the game has become needlessly complex and could only possibly be officiated by full time umpires who are expected to do a good job and are paid accordingly.

But that would be crazy.

Are yOu INSAne???

For the record I dont actually think there's literal match fixing going on but it seems to be the umpiring "fraternity" is full of egotism and big heads who think they can dictate the game at will and have no issue in "punishing" people like Clarko who criticise them.

The rule book needs to be re written to remove as much grey area as possible in my opinion.

Also, Eddie Betts!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Carlton in the 8 with a percentage over 100 while eddie kicks a (small) bag?

I'll take it.

All this talk of "well the amount of teams that change out of the 8 from round 6 is blah blah blah" just seems crazy to me. This season is utterly unpredictable and with no double ups I think the top 8 could change considerably over the next 6 weeks.

*edit.

I really think that article posted before about how the footy media and commentary is its own worst enemy in how it portrays the game doesnt go far enough. The AFL itself is rife with it. I know its only a small thing, but the "9 things we learned" on the AFL site is an awkward photo of Carlisle either getting falconed or copping the rebounding football in the face. The AFL is meant to be representing each club fairly and equally, not showing embarrassing photos that arent really going to be taken in good humour by a hurting fan base.

I get it, i'm obviously still annoyed over a loss and it is a very minor thing, but the last thing I really enjoy is going onto the league's own website and being made to feel worse by it. Why not actually attempt to support the fanbase instead of belittle it?

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 12, 2020

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Which is even more hilarious when you consider that it's in the AFLs interest to not undermine the small clubs at every chance given they funnel $10s of millions into those clubs each year.

Not to say that the Saints didn't deserve to be called pretenders as a result of their performance on the weekend but I'm not sure the AFL themselves should be doing it.

That one really rubbed me the wrong way. At what point were we pretenders? By winning some games?

thepokey posted:

In before we give Adelaide their first win

Had we beaten Freo I would think that Adelaide would be a real danger game as it would just be perfect for us to catch them on a good day and they beat us but the players should have an absolute rocket shoved up their rear end after that embarrassing display.

Ive been super happy with all our recruits for this year but Hill has just been so loving lacklustre. I wouldnt drop him but gently caress me he needs to lift.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

harperdc posted:

Apparently that post-game rocket was a derivation of “I’m not mad, I’m disappointed,” (Ratten’s words were apparently “Who do you want to be?”) which we all should know is the real one that cuts deep.

Hill might’ve just been seeing red against an old team. The whole squad put in one quarter then took their foot off the gas, it was beyond frustrating. Almost better to lose that than sneak it in under the wire.

Its a really hard one. These kind of losses can either be character building or destroying. The fact is we still fielded the 3rd youngest and the most inexperienced team as far as games played, those kind of players are just inevitably going to be mentally inconsistent and well, weak at times.

Getting fired up and angry I feel doesn't really work in this respect, you have to be introspective to really get any kind of result out of it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I feel like 4/5ths of all the games have a scoreline of +30 at some point at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Spedman posted:

Josh Bruce was on SEN crunch time today, I can see why he is still well liked by St Kilda fans, they do a podcast of the show if anyone is interested.

Is he? He was kind of poo poo talking our training when he moved to the dogs.