Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Amazing sci-fi show saved only because one of the richest people on the planet liked the show and bought it.

Based off a book series written by GRRM's editors or something, but the writers use the TV show as a way to improve on the books and not poo poo the bed.

Even the latest season, probably the weakest of the four, is still better than almost all other sci-fi shows and a lot of TV in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

it's good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dreylad posted:

Amazing sci-fi show saved only because one of the richest people on the planet liked the show and bought it.

Based off a book series written by GRRM's editors or something, but the writers use the TV show as a way to improve on the books and not poo poo the bed.

Even the latest season, probably the weakest of the four, is still better than almost all other sci-fi shows and a lot of TV in general.

I thought it was weak partly cause so much of it was just in the one location, and that made it feel smaller. usually we get to see a bunch more places in rapid succession.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I bid you all dark greetings, beltalowdas

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Expanse is extremely good

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

indigi posted:

I thought it was weak partly cause so much of it was just in the one location, and that made it feel smaller. usually we get to see a bunch more places in rapid succession.

That, plus the setup for the next few seasons with the Earth/Mars storylines not really having clear conclusions. But I still liked the world building with Mars because we've never really seen the place on the show.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

tin can made man posted:

I bid you all dark greetings, beltalowdas

up the opa

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

seriously this show owns and has some good space poo poo
https://giant.gfycat.com/DisastrousQuickLamprey.mp4

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

That, plus the setup for the next few seasons with the Earth/Mars storylines not really having clear conclusions. But I still liked the world building with Mars because we've never really seen the place on the show.

Season four felt weak while I was watching it but I liked it a lot more looking back on it. At the beginning I thought the Mars and Earth storylines would be more closely related to what was going on around the gate, so while watching it I was kinda disappointed that they kept doing their own thing. But in hindsight I think they work as self-contained stories that are influenced by, and will in time influence, the events in what felt like the season's main plots (the Belters at the gate and Holden et al on the new world), and I really liked seeing how the discovery of the new worlds affected the cultures of Earth and Mars that we'd been shown over the past seasons.

I think it also makes sense because they knew they were getting a season 5 well before this season was released, and so they could run plots like the Earth and Mars ones that didn't end with satisfying resolutions, because they knew they would still have time to conclude them in good ways.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

the avsarala stuff was kinda weak but the mars stuff was cool to see how insanely fashy their society is lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I guess I was also just disappointed because they ended season 3 making it seem like Bobbie was going to join the Roci crew and be part of Holden and the gang from now on, and then season 4 starts and she's just working menial labour on Mars while they go off on cool adventures where she would have been really useful.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I guess I was also just disappointed because they ended season 3 making it seem like Bobbie was going to join the Roci crew and be part of Holden and the gang from now on, and then season 4 starts and she's just working menial labour on Mars while they go off on cool adventures where she would have been really useful.

:same: but it makes sense that she wouldn't be fine with straight up deserting the Martian military given who she is and what she's been through. The Belter/Mars plots actually connected well at the very end once you realize what the hell is going on with the OPA and how completely hosed Martian society is.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Drummer 😍

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

indigi posted:

Drummer 😍

Ashford :smith:

Dreylad posted:

:same: but it makes sense that she wouldn't be fine with straight up deserting the Martian military given who she is and what she's been through. The Belter/Mars plots actually connected well at the very end once you realize what the hell is going on with the OPA and how completely hosed Martian society is.

yeah it all made sense and I liked how it tied together at the end, but even that tie together still meant Bobbie never interacted with any other regular characters except her yelling at Avasarala one time, which was too bad because she plays off the others really well when they get in the same room.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

indigi posted:

Drummer 😍

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Mary Anne taking no poo poo from Amos in season 4.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I mean, for a while

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chrisjen Avsarala is such an epic character played so perfectly by Shohreh Aghdashloo I would watch the show just for her. She reminds me of a chain smoking Cypriot veteran UN diplomat I met once at a completely random Easter dinner I was invited to once (and never felt more in the presence of my betters at). The resemblance to my memory is uncanny.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The show is real good. But doing high-g manoeuvers while facing sideways irritates me so much. They got the pivoting reclining chairs which rules, and then they point them the wrong way all the time. :saddowns:

Also James Holden. I don't know why but I'm so loving sick of his actor. Now that Miller is gone, they should dump him too.

:same:

Wombat Schematics
Jan 2, 2007

With Innovative Yogurt Technologies

PittTheElder posted:

The show is real good. But doing high-g manoeuvers while facing sideways irritates me so much. They got the pivoting reclining chairs which rules, and then they point them the wrong way all the time. :saddowns:

Also James Holden. I don't know why but I'm so loving sick of his actor. Now that Miller is gone, they should dump him too.

:same:

I feel the same way about Holden, but then in the books everyone is always rolling their eyes about him and generally seem to think he's kind of a schmuck, so maybe it's intentional?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I’ve been meaning to watch this but never get around to it. Maybe this weekend

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Brute Squad posted:

Mary Anne taking no poo poo from Amos in season 4.

Nice one Betty Anne. Bet your Martian Mitt is a real duster, if you catch my meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I loved the show when it was about space crime mystery and :tinfoil: but with the increasing stakes, I kinda lost interest around season 3. Probs binge on the rest when the weather is godawful and I can't be arsed to go out on Sunday.