Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Typical Star Fox run; you do well until the second-last stage, and then one of your wingmates suddenly gets Downed just to tank your perfect run and make the last stage harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The secret paths in Star Fox 64 are real motherfuckers too, because you're sure as poo poo not clearing the Sector X warpgates on the single laser, and if you suicide because you missed one the midpoint is right in front of where they start.

You also have to know EXACTLY where the Asteroid Belt jump rings are before you hit them, or you won't reach the last one in time. I felt so badass swinging that route the first time as a kid :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zushio posted:

I always had trouble getting to the Aquas as a kid, I could do it but not reliably. I only managed to clear Sector Z successfully when I went back and replayed as an adult.

Even when you know what you're doing, 150 Hits on Sector Y is a pretty tall order.

chitoryu12 posted:

I successfully saw all the routes and got the true ending as a kid, but it took me a year or two of ownership to actually do it. I didn't even know how to do it at first.

When I first played it as a kid, I could just never beat Sector X, or even get off the Easy Route (Corneria->Asteroids->Fortuna->Sector X). I felt so amazed somehow getting through that boss for the first time, even though I lost Slippy to it, and made it all the way to Bolse before losing all my lives. Then at some point the game clicked for me and I started blasting my way right into the Intermediate and Hard routes.