Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sweet. Thank you all for giving me more ammo to make fun of dumbfucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its really chinese but its a cult. they are nuts

When MAO did the great leap forward he really wanted to get rid of the cultural baggage that he felt held the country back. So all the "traditional" culture was on the way out. This left a vacuum.

Those people are trying to sell themsevles as being the real traditional stuff....they arent.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
not traditional but they are a chinese religion, just a new and hosed up one

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I make my egg pancakes at home with Montreal smoked meat now and drat it's so good.

I went to a karaoke place in town because I heard they had Dan bing and gua bao, they served an egg pancake with goddamn potato chips instead of fried dough stick and the gua bao came on an English muffin lol. You could buy fried dough stick and bao buns from the grocery store across the street so I don't know what was going on there with that terrible fusion recipe.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Chief among these clowns’ beliefs are that heaven is segregated, evolution is a scam, and that queerness should be wiped off the face of the earth. :pseudo:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

Chief among these clowns’ beliefs are that heaven is segregated, evolution is a scam, and that queerness should be wiped off the face of the earth. :pseudo:

dont forget the qanon poo poo

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Horatius Bonar posted:

I went to a karaoke place in town because I heard they had Dan bing and gua bao, they served an egg pancake with goddamn potato chips instead of fried dough stick and the gua bao came on an English muffin lol. You could buy fried dough stick and bao buns from the grocery store across the street so I don't know what was going on there with that terrible fusion recipe.

This is violence

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
From Wikipedia's second paragraph about Falun Gong:

"Falun Gong administers a variety of outreach organizations in the United States and elsewhere, including the dance troupe Shen Yun and far-right newspaper The Epoch Times. They are known for their views against the Chinese Communist Party and their anti-evolutionary stance. They also operate Epoch Media Group, which is known for its subsidiaries, New Tang Dynasty Television and The Epoch Times. The latter has been broadly noted as a politically far-right media entity that has received significant attention in the United States for promoting conspiracy theories, such as QAnon and anti-vaccine misinformation, and producing advertisements for former U.S. President Donald Trump, and has also drawn attention in Europe, promoting far-right politicians, primarily in France and Germany."

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Fontaine posted:

if you had any idea how many of those people are in the closet

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
:siren:BREAKING NEWS:siren:

The Chinese spy balloon has been shot down. Prior to being shot down, roughly 100 people were witnessed parachuting out of the school bus sized structure hanging from the underside of the balloon. Reports are coming in that many of the suspected parachutists appear to be murdering each other with the plethora of firearms scattered across the American wasteland along the Virginia coast. Many others have been observed constructing bridges and small houses over the Atlantic using only pickaxes apparently, somehow, idk.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
clearly it's a Chinese ploy to corrupt the children

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Xi outside the party HQ yelling 他偷了我的气球!!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Chinese fortninte sounds hosed up

urf
Jul 12, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay can someone explain the shen yun jokes to me. It's always here in the SF Bay area and I've never gone.

Is it worth going or is it just some loving culturally appropriated joke

I need to know from the China thread enjoyers

I went about 12 or so years ago before I knew anything about Falun Gong etc
It was kinda pricey, I think I paid 60$ for my ticket?
The show was a number of dances and acrobatics done to music (sometimes with lyrics), minimal sets used to decent effect with projectors;
Chinese myths and history in big dance numbers with flips and cool animated backgrounds and poo poo.
It was alright but then like 3/4 way through the show there was a Chinese opera singer who did a solo about how atheism is bad, science is wrong, communism and Marx are evil and other weird very blunt proclamations, I can't remember it all, it was incredibly jarring and had nothing to do with any of the previous performances or the next few that followed.

Even if you ignore all the Falun Gong stuff, I still wouldn't recommend going, I feel like I paid too much back then and I imagine it's more expensive and weirder now.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Biden BDE shooting missiles at balloons with loving Raptors, dude rules

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I always wonder how many Falun Gong guys are out there, even in China. I think it's probably a lot, but obviously you're not gonna get actual numbers for practicing members in mainland China.

I posted about it before but, there was that time I was at a Chinese pizza buffet and they had all those fake books around the restaurant for decoration. And the book above our table was

There's no way it was a coincidence, of all the books to make fake books of for decoration they're not gonna accidentally pick that one. And then definitely not going to accidentally pick the Falun gong one, manufacture it likely in China, and sell it to a Chinese restaurant. Someone, somewhere in the process is making a statement and getting unnoticed because who actually looks at those fake books, and how many people actually know English to know what it's about.

They're a crazy cult and gently caress them but, I don't think they would be nearly as big if China didn't come down so hard on them, there's a lot of crazy weird new religions all over the place that you never hear about and barely have any impact on anything. They're the Streisand effect of religions.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheBuilder posted:

Biden BDE shooting missiles at balloons with loving Raptors, dude rules
It’s somehow so much better than Trumq literally rolling the MOAB out for no reason

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrainDance posted:

They're a crazy cult and gently caress them but, I don't think they would be nearly as big if China didn't come down so hard on them, there's a lot of crazy weird new religions all over the place that you never hear about and barely have any impact on anything. They're the Streisand effect of religions.

Yeah, far as I know they were fairly harmless before the PRC started coming down on them.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, far as I know they were fairly harmless before the PRC started coming down on them.

I m remembering something from years ago, anyone feel free to correct me.

Because MAO's atheism left a spiritual hole in the culture FG got popular even amoung party members, then some group turned them into boogie men to justify creating their own police force, but really it was to try to climb the party ranks. Then they got purdge and if FG didnt say anything bad about the CCP before this, then well they do now.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Ya pretty much

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
If you wind back to the 11 Apr 1999 article 《我不赞成青少年练气功》 (a copy is available here: http://www.xuefo.net/nr/article1/13842.html), Falun Dafa is only invoked as an example in a litany mainly against teaching qigong to the young

Fast forward two decades and qigong is a thoroughly approved practice

The actual incitement was the organization of the subsequent 25 Apr 1999 Zhonghanhai protest (against the article) managing to slip past the public security bureaus - this showed that the movement had an independent organizing force outside the party (strike one) and had supporters within the public security apparatus that were tacitly indulging it (strike two) and was led by an unreachable leader based in the United States and with US permanent residency amidst the tense period of the Belgrade Chinese Embassy bombing on 7 May 1999 (strike 3 - see also, Turkey's opinion on Pennsylvania resident Fethullah Gülen). Everyone knows of the influence the Pope played in the late Cold War, and here comes another religious leader. So whatever it was, it had to die and die quickly. Once that decision was made, the rest of it - organ harvesting and all - was just the subsequent bureaucratic banality of evil.

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 5, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Most (all?) American milk is separated from from its fats and then recombined to give it uniform consistency between packages. I’d be surprised if European milk wasn’t as well.

Don’t drink raw milk. Just like your dog can eat raw meat and be fine, calfs can drink raw milk and be fine. If you hate how your milk is pasteurized, pasteurize it yourself. You can use a ziplock bag or one of those huge half gallon jars and put it in an immersion cooker at a minimum temperature for a length of time. American dairy’s consensus seems to be 145 degrees for 30 minutes.

It is treated the same way yeah.

While I don't recommend anyone drinking raw milk on principle, whenever we visit our dairy farming relatives in Purmo one of the treats we always appreciate is the fresh raw milk. From the cow to the coolant tanks to the table.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Chicken and egg. America was and is using them as a wedge. They're utterly compromised by intelligence agencies. Trying to play this off as a very simple case of state overreach is an odd choice. They're deep in the murky world of geopolitics. I guess I feel sorry for anyone that thinks they're just joining a harmless religious group.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Chicken and egg. America was and is using them as a wedge. They're utterly compromised by intelligence agencies. Trying to play this off as a very simple case of state overreach is an odd choice. They're deep in the murky world of geopolitics. I guess I feel sorry for anyone that thinks they're just joining a harmless religious group.

Do you mean in 1999, or subsequently?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

[citation needed]

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Even if that was confirmed to be true (I have no idea), 95% of people there are not going to be in contact with Mr Handler at the CIA and are just doing the best they can with what they believe. Since what they believe involves homophobia and cult conspiracy poo poo, gently caress em anyway.

Also I'd expect Mr Handler is introducing himself as a humble lawyer representing concerned mainland Chinese businessmen who just want to protect their people and culture.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Also I'd expect Mr Handler is introducing himself as a humble lawyer representing concerned mainland Chinese businessmen who just want to protect their people and culture.

The whole point of a cover story is that it’s something the government you’re working under regards as innocuous

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I wonder if it works like scientology though where they kinda sucker you in with the reasonable stuff then it gets crazy when you're in deep.

At some level they portray themselves as an exercise group like taichi, right? So you're doing taichi, deep breathing, and they're all really nice people. Then you get into the moral stuff and it's probably reasonable, then bam you're giving up all your worldly possessions, praying to a leader, and "being gifted" some hidden truths that include the great lie of evolution and a bunch of homophobia. And by that point this things basically taken over your whole life and you have zero reason to not buy into the crazy stuff.

I don't know if Falun gong works that way, I know that cults work that way, and I feel like it's probably just like any other cult.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BrainDance posted:

I wonder if it works like scientology though where they kinda sucker you in with the reasonable stuff then it gets crazy when you're in deep.

At some level they portray themselves as an exercise group like taichi, right? So you're doing taichi, deep breathing, and they're all really nice people. Then you get into the moral stuff and it's probably reasonable, then bam you're giving up all your worldly possessions, praying to a leader, and "being gifted" some hidden truths that include the great lie of evolution and a bunch of homophobia. And by that point this things basically taken over your whole life and you have zero reason to not buy into the crazy stuff.

I don't know if Falun gong works that way, I know that cults work that way, and I feel like it's probably just like any other cult.

Given my interaction with practitioners you start at "here are ways to manage your life" and then rapidly get to "our master can levitate but you can't see him do it unless you are a believer". So, uh, you know, standard cults.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the 气功热 Qigong fad was not unique to Falun Dafa. Other groups which were more amenable to the desired messaging in the early oughts were integrated into the state.

https://www.eastasianhistory.org/41/otehode-penny/index.html

quote:

Luoyang is in western Henan Province, a four-hour fast train ride from Beijing. Between the early 1980s and late 1990s, dozens of different qigong schools spread throughout the Luoyang area. By 1998, twenty-four different schools were members of the Luoyang Research Society into Qigong Science (Luoyangshi qigong kexue yanjiuhui 洛阳市气功科学研究会) and there were 163 regular venues for teaching qigong, with an estimated 180,000 people practising daily across the municipality. Soaring Crane reached the Luoyang area earlier than other styles of qigong and it had comparatively more practitioners. In 1998, twelve different qigong schools held a combined total of 52 short courses in the Luoyang area, with 9,172 people taking part. Nine of these courses were in Soaring Crane Qigong with 3,804 participants, meaning that it had the best-attended training courses in the city that year. By way of comparison, there was only a single class teaching the nationally famous New Qigong of Guo Lin (Guo Lin xinqigong 郭林新气功), and just eighteen people took part.[8] In 2000, after the suppression of Falun Gong, the Luoyang Research Society into Qigong Science revoked the registrations of the committees representing twenty-four schools of qigong, including Soaring Crane, in line with national policy. Later, some of the former Soaring Crane venues and some of its former practitioners became part of the organisation for the promotion of health-and-fitness oriented qigong sponsored by the State General Administration of Sport (Guojia yiyu zongju 国家体育总局), in which capacity they have continued to the present day.

Qigong today is now an officially recognized and endorsed component of TCM

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hypnophant posted:

The whole point of a cover story is that it’s something the government you’re working under regards as innocuous

I mean introducing himself to the conspirators. Absolutely no reason to tell them who they're actually working for, instead of who they want to be working for.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
As a plea for cultural relativity, the West also had a brief cultural period of fascination with mysticism and esotericism. New ways of knowing! The mysteries of the occult! Jim Jone's People's Temple was politically active and influential. Let's not imply that mysticism is a unique Chinese defect of spirituality, because it wasn't.

You would not have been wrong, as an observer in the 1970s, to point out that these many of these cults had deeply abusive internal structures, encouraged self-destructive levels of substance abuse, or had links to dangerously fringe politicians or even militants. Would the West have been better off rounding all involved up and disappearing them into camps? Seems unlikely.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I do like not getting bugged by weird religions in China. In Korea I was more polite because I hadn't decided I hate people yet, and I'd just get stuck hearing about heavenly mother or whatever and how nice their foreigner compound is when I really just wanted to be left alone.

Not saying that that makes it ok to round up new religious movements just saying it's nice to be left alone.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

After the constant attempted cult recruitments in Korea I enjoyed China's ban on proselytization. Nobody ever tried to get me to join poo poo there.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

After the constant attempted cult recruitments in Korea I enjoyed China's ban on proselytization. Nobody ever tried to get me to join poo poo there.

you ever talk with the moonies?

Wait wasnt there some korean doomsdat cult involved with covid at that start?

Ups_rail fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 5, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't remember Moonies but there were so many it's hard to keep track. I remember Guanyin Famen since they were my first, tried to recruit me my first day in country, and a lot of Shincheonji ones. They're super aggressive at targeting foreigners and have lots of cutout organizations.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

ronya posted:

As a plea for cultural relativity, the West also had a brief cultural period of fascination with mysticism and esotericism. New ways of knowing! The mysteries of the occult! Jim Jone's People's Temple was politically active and influential. Let's not imply that mysticism is a unique Chinese defect of spirituality, because it wasn't.

You would not have been wrong, as an observer in the 1970s, to point out that these many of these cults had deeply abusive internal structures, encouraged self-destructive levels of substance abuse, or had links to dangerously fringe politicians or even militants. Would the West have been better off rounding all involved up and disappearing them into camps? Seems unlikely.

you could probably go back even farther to the spiritualists and the occultists like crowley and their fascination with yoga, tbh.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hell Im still afraid of ghosts

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

This is violence

I don't know if it better or worse than the English muffin was steamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Horatius Bonar posted:

I don't know if it better or worse than the English muffin was steamed.

that actually seems like it would be really good if the muffin was toasted a little instead of... loving steamed?