Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Winnie the flu is absolutely the correct branding to counter the countermand (or w/e the ccp is claiming they are doing today).

Grand Fromage posted:

He's an official government spokesman, so yes.

And it's working. A couple of my friends with the worst nationalist brainworms are starting to spread the US did coronavirus meme, and Chinese friends tell me their parents are all in on it.

E: An example of state media supporting the same narrative: https://twitter.com/niubi/status/1242111019637448706

E2: Other state media is pushing back on it, looks like there's a fight going on in the state propaganda organs about how to handle this.

Caixin seem to be gambling their right to life. More power to them. Given that NYT etc are being turfed, doubly so they should stand, it's impressive ethics.

Fojar38 posted:

Alot of the positive propaganda falls flat too when one realizes that the PRC isn't donating things to countries so much as selling them. The "medical outreach" is plague profiteering

Have you not been offerred a job selling masks? I have, my gf has, other friends have. The plague profiteering is either desperately needed, or disgusting, i haven't decided yet. The poo poo does need to move, whether it seen is overcapacity product dumping won't be decided for a few weeks yet. Demand is what it is. Them that take advantage now will likely reap the reward later (I hope).

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Covid-19? Why you no get Covid-A?

This just needs more love! A classic.

Magna Kaser posted:

no water. just beer. room temp.

:tipshat: :britain: *ahem, thats ours, not theirs!

url fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Burns posted:

I wonder how many countries will now indebt themselves to chjna gor the next hundred years gor their bailouts.

given the rate of money printing - sorry QE - that is about to take place, i don't think any one is planning to pay anything back.

Much like the trillions that got 'lost' during 2008, i would think we are going to see another ridiculously painful inflation jump, just shy of hyper inflation (if we're lucky and we all play nice). I'm not an economics hero by any stretch, but the risk of hyperinflation seems to be stronger now than in 2008.

I'm not 100% certain, but, when we are printing telephone numbers of currency overnight, (with what seems to be increasing regularity) the models in hand seem like maybe they are not working - it's not ok is all I'm sure of.

I'll toss in an ill-thought out conspiracy just for fun, I would also ask if 2008 was an opportunity to achieve some degree of currency equalisation to ameliorate some of the effects of 20 years of wanton offshoring.

I can't meaningfully engage in economics, apologies if this annoyed you.

non-stealth edit:

Fojar38 posted:

You can say that the plague profiteering is good and that's fine but the problem arrives when it's treated as Chinese aid given freely out of the goodness of their hearts, which it isn't.

yeah, i'm wholly behind that. Do the corruption and grease the wheel to get the loving poo poo moving.
(that was the topic of my dissertation btw, the win-win of coruption in a developing country.
at some point the normalisation has to kick in, and the corruption has to stop. Corruption is only useful to a point, the CCP have clearly missed their indicators.)

the re-branding, that's lame navel gazing,wishful thinking, point scoring, back patting, disappointing to humanity at large, dissonant ambition.

url fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 25, 2020

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pham Nuwen posted:

i cannot comment as i am not an economist

Fair comment.

I have some broad strokes, but this is GBS, and I've eaten enough poo poo on SA to just put the disclaimers up front these days.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Squalid posted:

I'm not an economist either but I know just enough about it to tell you that your post is so hysterically nonsensical that I'm not even sure if you know what hyperinflation means.

The corona virus related decreases in labor productivity combined with government stimulus definitely creates the potential for inflation, but there's a big difference between inflation of 10% and 10000%

I don't think it starts at 10000%, calm down a bit.

But, sure, I'll walk the hyperbole back.

What's the scale, creeping, walking, galloping, hyper?

If stimulus is required for an extended period, I think it's relatively safe to say we will be out of our comfort zone and on that scale, to what degree is anyone's guess at this juncture.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

KennyTheFish posted:

Mark Blyth has a lot of good presentations on YouTube that goes into this.

Thanks, taking a look now

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Cheesemaster200 posted:

the US would recognize Taiwan as an independent country.

The US did.

Taiwan declined the opportunity to be recognised as an independent nation.

The US chose to no longer do so.

This is how the one-china problem came to be.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

oohhboy posted:

Gotta say, it's pretty sweet

Im down, but it seems a bit
#/pols/closed

no?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'm not gonna quote the posts mentioning the pols closed thing.

Where it started off as that pools-closed daft meme, it's now morphed into /pol/s closed.

Referencing the edgy 'meme wars' of 2015/2016, and the annoying deluge of Pepe memes.

I've got nothing against the HK'ers standing up to be counted (more power to them). But, I think the initiative has gotten away from them and that's why they are struggling for column inches. 6 months of global front-pages and very embarrassing news is a very cool achievement (unlocked).

I'm not a meme warrior, I couldn't possibly comment.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Kharnifex posted:

Just wait till Africans realise that eating Chinese is the cure to corona virus

This would be a great sport to gamble on.

I did wanna reply on the previous page that various African diplomats have spoken up, and to some degree been taken seriously.

I'm guessing the Chinese businesses and people distributed throughout Africa being at stake helped them see the light.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I want me some of this hot page 88 action, I think I might be too late

E: gently caress yeah

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atopian posted:

It's very unlikely that anyone but a professional can maintain information security in China over long periods.

And even if you do use entirely self-imported, carefully-selected hardware and software, over an actually-secure VPN, from a secure location, then all you're going to do is trip some "srs bsns" notification somewhere, and get a visit. Because I can't imagine there would be more than a few dozen non-diplomatic staff in China with the ability and motivation to pull that off, and they're either criminals or spies or a bit obsessed, and those categories are collectively small enough and worrying enough to be worth a visit.

Oldest one in the book. Drive an tank down a high street, you will be met with force.

Hide in plain sight, you won't.

It's a gamble, they have an unlimited budget. Guerrilla suggests you play to your strength and their weakness.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Shumagorath posted:

Your choice of OS doesn't matter if you end up getting questioned in the land of No Why. It barely matters in the west.

For gently caress, look, it's not the app, it's not the fire wall. It's the predictive loving text, it's in the keyboard.

The Chinese typewriter guy nailed it best with his click bait title: 600 million hacked (or whatever) https://youtu.be/G7gN9cRUUwo

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/1biWgSNmgcmNPxh-DwAzJQ

This will go smoothly and will end well for everyone involved in it. At no point will this dissolve into the biggest game of 'last mouse out'. No siree, that's not gonna happen.

some WeChat spam news thing posted:

China has started testing its government-backed digital currency in some regions before it is introduced to the public, aiming to replace paper notes and coins in circulation, according to the People's Bank of China, the central bank.

At present, the trials are being conducted in a closed environment and not connected to the existing sovereign currency issuance and circulation system. 

Pilot programs have been launched in Shenzhen, Suzhou, and Chengdu, as well as in the Xiongan New Area, Hebei province, said a senior official from the digital currency research institute of the PBOC, who did not want to be identified.

Some of the payment scenarios related to the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics are also undergoing tests, he said.

"In the short term, the central bank's digital currency will not be issued in large amounts for the public and the velocity of the money in circulation will not be influenced or lead to an inflation surge," said a statement on the PBOC's official WeChat account on Saturday.

The PBOC will be the sole issuer of the "digitalized renminbi", and will originally offer the digital money to commercial banks or other operators, which is still in a centralized issuance system. The public can transfer the money in their bank accounts to the digital version and deposit the same in "electronic wallets", the official said.

To avoid excessive money issuance, commercial institutions should set aside provisions equivalent to their digital money holdings, he said.

The PBOC started research on its digital legal tender in 2014. The State Council, the nation's cabinet, approved the PBOC's digital currency development program at the end of 2017, jointly with some qualified commercial banks and institutions. 

The central bank called the new money as "digital currency and electronic payment", or DC/EP.

Zhou Xuedong, a spokesman of the central bank, disclosed at a news conference on April 10 that the digital currency launch has not been disrupted by the novel coronavirus outbreak.

The COVID-19 epidemic can persist for a few hours on hard surfaces, and there is probability of transmission via physical money-paper notes and coins, as they are frequently touched objects. The pandemic has led to unprecedented public concern about viral transmission via cash. Many central banks have taken measures to ensure the safety of using cash.

Raphael Auer, an economist with the Monetary and Economic Department of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), said that in the context of the current global health crisis, central bank digital currency (CBDC) would in particular have to be designed with access options for the layman and have contact-free technical interfaces suitable for the entire population.

"The pandemic has highlighted the value of having access to diverse means of payments, and the need for any means of payments to be resilient against a broad range of threats," he said.

Payments via the upcoming Chinese sovereign digital currency could be contactless and the transaction can be achieved when two mobile phones with electronic wallets get close to each other, Mu Changchun, head of the PBOC digital currency research institute, said earlier.

Different from Alipay and WeChat Pay that rely on the internet, the technology used by the PBOC allows the digital currency to be exchanged without the internet, just like using physical cash, said Mu.

China could be one of the leading countries in the world to have a retail-based central bank digital currency, said analysts.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I don't have search, but following Trump's genius to IV disinfectant, I wanted to highlight that this was tried by a mayor in one of the rural provinces somewhere around the 27th March, buy I can't find the link.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
That's the one, some local level official forced people to drink bleach or similar. I scrolled back a bunch of pages but couldn't find it.

I was caught in a (pointless) to & fro with an wumao/water army type earlier is why I was looking. Apologies for derail.

As regards the Swedish thing, some are saying it's being spun to fit the current #chinaisanasshole narrative that is finally start to get some traction.

It's not bad thing regardless of spin, those Confucius Institutes were, at the outset and by design, supposed to be a staging ground to infiltrate and spread the CCP hegemon.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Grand Fromage posted:

Vietnam is doing well, though you do have to keep in mind they are also an authoritarian country with information control so you have to put an asterisk by their numbers, you don't have to do that with Taiwan or South Korea.

I don't think they're covering up mass outbreak or anything, just wouldn't be surprised if they're lowballing it in the official data.

It has been very difficult here.

I don't know how much low-balling they are actually doing (that's the nature of it I guess). But, anecdotally, where I have met several who have been put in quarantine for the thinnest of reasons, I haven't heard of a single fatality.

We did have an influx of Chinese (lower than usual) just as the news broke before LNY/Tet and we all kept our distance and pointed and joked. Masks were flying off the shelves immediately.

Then it went crazy with a bunch of conflicting information coming out of everywhere. Odd, illogical decisions being made about whether foreigners with passports from xyz country could come into the country even if they hadn't been home etc etc.

The correct course of action has prevailed. The usual stuff about ppl trying to sneak around and whatnot has been met with social disapproval rather than any jest.

It's been hard, business have collapsed everywhere, lockdowns were pretty strict. It's only just started back up the past two weeks and it's slow.

Tourism is dead, other than internal stuff (but no one has any money to use the free internal flights on offer.

I snuck my gf in just before Tet, and we enjoyed a month together while we watched it unfold. She returned to SZ on March 1, and she escaped a quarantine.

Maybe our relationship doesn't make it. It's difficult and mental health issues are showing up everywhere, depression, divorce, and suicides are horribly up.

Apologies for sad stuff, I'm not a humorist, I couldn't comment.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
My all time favourite tee-shirt was one I picked up in the silkroad outlet in Beijing.

Big white lettering on black.

I
♥️
BJ

Because I am a low-rent, juvenile fool.

Numerous friends asked for it and i relented. I got a second version on another visit. the colour leeched and it was trash.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Shadow0 posted:

I, too, bought many of these the one time I went to China.

I also managed to find and buy one of these against all odds:

which was my only real goal in China.

I just did a ridiculously out loud laugh at your last line, in a bar, in Vietnam.

Thank you for brightening my days.ill be keeping this moment close for days to to come.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
While I'm still giggling and being looked at.

I have in the past few days landed a teaching number (it's always the plan b, excoet when all the schools etc close.). It'll tide me over while poo poo gets itself righted and I can find real work again.

My plan is to return to China after my ban has expired.

The girl I love is there, and for whatever reasons, I want to return and try.

Right now it's difficult, and I just have to eat that poo poo.

Yummy.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Yeah

I got that in mind too. I'm not wanting to derail a thread that was getting back to speed.bi can't PM right now.

I have some time to reconsider, buy, the heart wants what it wants.

*Ahem* banned from both Chinas btw. Deported unceremoniously from both.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

it's pretty funny that one of the only things that the PRC and Taiwan have agreed on in decades is "This guy really sucks".

What on earth did you do?

That is hilarious, but my reality is not that impressive.

The rules/laws changed while I was there. (Six~ years). I was picked up at the airport for a traffic fine that I hadn't paid off.

I had a new job and was planning to pay the remainder of the balance of the ticket after payday.

I hadn't received a notice in the post to say that I was overdue or that a warrant was on me etc (I had just moved).

So, unawares, I had booked a ticket to celebrate my new job by visiting Malaysia to watch a motorbike race of a weekend (I think Marquez came 4th).

I was stopped at the border and unable to produce the entire fine on the spot, sentenced to serve the fine and then sent home.

I found out on my release that any number of people would have been happy to receive my call on a Saturday afternoon and help me make good a very small fine, including my then new manager.

But, once the hammer goes down, judgement is what it is, and that's all she wrote.

[img]i.imgur.com/gallery/ZDsyRwe.gif[/img]

url fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 25, 2020

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Fwiw, it was the second fine in under one year (that being the change to the rule, not that it matters).

I was some hours shy of one year, and the police and I joked at it being very unfortunate.

Twice in one year has a significant multiplier effect.

I had paid two of three installments when collared at the airport.

To further elaborate, I had a radial fracture in my leg to contend with during the repayment schedule. That's why I had staggerred the payments and was looking for work.

I had scheduled a series of trips (for work and to meet family). I was stopped at the airport on a Friday night with a Wednesday paycheck due.

Kicked out of bad China was equally dumb, just a snowball of poo poo. One year later I'm still recovering from the mess.

Horatius Bonar posted:

Suspected foreign spy.

You should know I have used your story as a cautionary tale the past year.

quote:

Of course Winnie the Pooh couldn't resist the honeypot.

:golfclap:

url fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 25, 2020

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

There have been at least two goons deported from good China and one actually was arrested once as a suspected foreign spy. Another goon's mom actually was deported as a foreign spy.

Horatio posted maybe three posts above you

:/

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

evil_bunnY posted:

mandatory quarantine

Vietnamese can do quarantine at home. Laowais, not so much.

The viet govt has been proactive in repatriating theirs.

Take a look at the UK abandoned if you want some good funnies. Apparently, the blue passport and brexit thing hasn't delivered yet. I'm sure it will.

Germany has repatriated more Brits than the UK govt.

:tipshat:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Green tea bitch is (I think, excluding the gendering aspect) a tight insult.

It has enough flexibility to be broadly applicable.

綠茶婊 luk6 cha4 biu2
绿茶婊

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
So there's a semi religious/cultural thing where you wave a stupidly dangerous thing around (nunchuku with blades) and make it release todins or sth from your back.

Now, I've seen it irl more than once. And the injuries are life changing.

The thing that bothers me, is that as soon as a hard+core injury happens, like a split of flesh more than 8" long happens, a bunch of crowd gets involved and Ignore the solemn and serious commit required for the whatever God demanded.

You attended a show to see a clown gently caress himself up. Stand your ground is my point.

I'm not am ethical person, I can not comment.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Shadow0 posted:

Please don't use Google translate or Papago for your essays.

Okay

Hands up, my bad, that was defined a post which didn't meet the SA sobreity metrics.

The point I was incoherently making was as follows.

I have had the dubious pleasure if attending 'religious' festivals where self-harm is the agenda.

Typically a local politician is sponsoring the event in support of the local community shrine worship place (I'm not getting into that here)

At the events someone is tasked with hurting themself in a significant way. Chained tools with spikes and blades seem to be the choice.

Much swinging if said tool, and skin opening happens. As the volunteer enters the 'trance' stage, the very obvious life-changing injury is readily apparent.

My point is, when that (seemingly inevitable) result occurs there is a great deal of crowd participation, and revulsion.

I find that unusual.

I have it in the same space as saying 'awww th bull died, after having paid for a ticket to see exactly that".

I'm not an ethicist, I couldn't comment.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
"I subscribed to bumfights, and these fuckers have ruined my day"

Is maybe a better example.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
https://thediplomat.com/2020/06/china-isnt-losing-europe-yet/

China Isn’t Losing Europe Yet

Despite Beijing’s series of missteps, the real battle for influence has barely begun.

By Michito Tsuruoka

June 06, 2020

One of the most notable developments in Asia-Europe relations amid the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic is the rise of Beijing’s overt and covert diplomatic offensive vis-à-vis Europe. In fact, China’s increasingly assertive and threatening approach – sometimes called the “wolf warrior” diplomacy – has alarmed many Europeans, and there seems to be an emerging consensus that Beijing’s behavior in the midst of the pandemic has been mostly counterproductive, leading to the notion that China is losing Europe.

However, it is still too early to make that call. The argument that China is losing Europe could give the false impression that Europe is winning. The battle has barely begun and it will be a long and hard one.

It is certainly clear that Beijing’s heavy-handed strategy of intimidation has alienated many Europeans and damaged China’s public image in Europe. The EU’s foreign policy chief Josep Borrell warns of a “global battle of narratives” regarding the pandemic and criticizes Beijing’s attempt to “play on” differences between Europeans.

It was widely reported in April that Beijing had tried to use its influence to change the wording of the EU’s report on disinformation activities. Though Brussels insists that it did not change any wording because of pressure from China, there is now official acknowledgment that Beijing did make a series of interventions.

Immediately following this, another controversy erupted. At stake was the censorship by the Chinese authorities regarding an op-ed piece for the China Daily, authored by the EU Ambassador to China and 27 ambassadors of EU member states in Beijing. The China Daily, under the supervision of the Chinese Foreign Ministry, wanted to deleted a sentence on the origin of the pandemic as a condition to publish the article. The fact that the EU Delegation accepted the censorship ignited fierce criticism back in Europe from those appalled at what it meant for press freedom. There have been other instances of China’s assertive behavior in various parts of Europe, most notably in France, where the Chinese Embassy website posted a series of articles by an anonymous Chinese diplomat criticizing the way France and Europe have handled the pandemic.

What the recent developments show is that Beijing has scored a series of own goals. What Beijing has tried to do – particularly its efforts to whitewash its image as the source of the pandemic and the intimidation it deploys to silence criticism of China abroad – have largely proved counterproductive. Europe’s policy discourse on China is undergoing a structural shift and what could be termed as “business as usual” approach toward Beijing is becoming harder to sustain. Europe has indeed changed a lot. Most recently, the situation in Hong Kong reinforces this trend.

However, it is crucial to remember that a mere series of Chinese missteps can never be enough on their own for China to “lose” Europe. Much depends on the European side as well. There are four main areas to take into consideration.

First, we need to recognize that Beijing’s goal is no longer about winning the hearts and minds of European people (if ever it was). China’s practical goal now seems to be to ensure that there are enough number of people in important positions in Brussels and in national capitals who are prepared to compromise European values, such as fundamental freedoms, and accommodate China’ positions for the sake of maintaining economic relations with China.

Second, the battle in Europe between those who are prepared to lose China and safeguard Europe’s values and interests on the one hand and those determined to preserve current relations with China on the other is set to intensify in the coming months and years, including after the pandemic. Beijing is already a substantial player working behind the scenes on national governments and business communities, trying to exert influence in its favor. In addition, countries such as Hungary and Greece, as well as the post-Brexit U.K., are beginning to become new battlegrounds between the U.S. and China.

Third, ridiculing Beijing’s diplomatic missteps will not make Europe more resilient to Chinese pressure. Beijing is fully aware of Europe’s dependence on China, based on which it formulates its behavior vis-à-vis different countries in Europe. Therefore, the question as to how each country could decrease its vulnerability to China is becoming more acute. The concept of “strategic autonomy,” which originally emerged in the context of foreign policy and security, now seems to be expanding to the issue of the global supply chain of strategically important products, including medical equipment, at least in the short term.

Fourth, one of the biggest questions facing us now is whether Beijing’s heavy-handed approach to Europe is a desperate short-term reaction in response to the pandemic, or if it is the beginning of a “new normal.” Even if assuming that Beijing’s approach could change, its interest and goals in Europe will not, meaning that in either case this is going to be a long battle.

Before claiming that China is losing Europe, there are many challenges that Europe needs to address. Beijing has certainly not given up on Europe.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/gBsJwO39saXgWhmqnIJYMQ posted:

Chinese women 'should be allowed to have multiple husbands'

BILLIE THOMSON PandaGuides

China has too many unmarried men due to its severe gender imbalance: 30million by 2050 to be exact.

And one professor has called on authorities to consider letting women have two or more husbands at the same time to help resolve the long-standing social issue.

Prof Yew-Kwang Ng, a 77-year-old economist, said that his proposition could be a way to help the nation's army of bachelors find their better half as well as happiness.

Prof Ng, a Special Chair Professor at the School of Economics of Fudan University, stressed that single Chinese men would have more and more difficulties in securing an ideal partner in the coming years due to growing competition.

Prof Yew-Kwang Ng

Unwed middle-aged men would have to compete with much younger rivals to win the heart of a limited pool of single women, the Malaysia-born expert said. 

'[If a man's] natural biological and psychological needs cannot be met appropriately, it will certainly bring a substantial negative impact on his happiness,' Prof Ng noted in an opinion piece published on June 2 through popular Chinese outlet NetEase.  

In the column, he put forward two possible solutions. 

One is the legalisation of prostitution, and the other is polyandry, a form of polygamy that allows a woman to take two or more lawful husbands.

Neither practice is permitted by Chinese law.

Prof Ng said while prostitutes might satisfy men's urgent biological needs, they would not be able to provide life companionship as wives would.

'If it weren't for the serious imbalance of the male and female ratio, I would not think of polyandry at all,' he argued. 

'Secondly, I do not promote or encourage polyandry. I only think that faced with [the problem of having] more men and fewer women, [the government] may perhaps consider polyandry.'

He suggested that many men, such as him, would agree to share a wife with others than running the risk of having no wife at all.

Prof Ng is not the first expert who has come up with unconventional ideas to help unmarried Chinese find their significant other.

Mao Shoulong, a renowned scholar, said in 2017 that the government should allow more foreign women to live in the country in the hope that some of them would end up marrying its 'leftover men'. 

He wrote: 'It could be an advisable tactic to aptly improve the reformation of the immigration policy and let more foreign women come to live and work in China to relieve the "bachelor crisis".' 

Traditionally, baby boys are preferred by Chinese parents because of their ability to carry forward the family name.

Decades of illegal baby gender selection, prompted by the one-child policy, has caused the country to suffer from a severe gender gap.

The gender ratio between baby boys and baby girls has reached 1.3 to 1 at its highest.

Around 15 million Chinese men between the ages of 35 and 59 won't be able to find a wife by 2020 and by 2050 the number could be nearly 30million, it is estimated. 

Many Chinese bachelors, mostly from southern China, have paid high prices to marry Vietnamese women after failing to find a Chinese partner, prompting human-trafficking concerns.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

shovelbum posted:

they didnt want blood from a place with healthcare so lovely you are likely to have diseases so long eradicated in normal countries that they dont have the ability to test for them hth

As a Brit :whatho:, i have had this experience in both Denmark, and Taiwan. I didn't even bother to offer in China.

BSE you see.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'm phone posting so the image isn't super high quality. I'm not seeing the military ships though.

E: I guess I was expecting the (lol) much vaunted, cutting edge (completely not spontaneously combusting) PLAN destroyers and cruisers, and coast guard and maybe even the recycled liaoning.

But, maybe they are busy hiding from the three that the US have close by for the past few days. (Nothing quite says area denial capabilities quite like having the opposition forces park up, fully tooled, in your neighbours house)

url fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 30, 2020

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Cool, thanks for the extra pics. And yeah, those are suitably pointy and grey.

Not sure what types. They're not so large as to be 'very threatening'

The large buildup in Shenzhen before the planned 'police display' (back in October iirc) looked more ominous.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
What will happen to seven's week?

It's the most debauched and fun gathering of expats across all of SEA I think.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

"taiwannews posted:

English is actually Chinese, scholars claim
World Civilization Research Association academics also believe all European history before 15th century is fake

By Zin Kao, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2019/08/31 10:38

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – “World Civilization Research Association” (世界文明研究促進會) scholars are claiming that Western civilization originates from China and all European languages are merely Mandarin dialects, the Liberty Times reports.

World Civilization Research Association Vice President and Secretary-General Zhai Guiyun (翟桂鋆) said during an interview with Sina Online that some English words derive from Mandarin. For example, “yellow” resembles Mandarin for “leaf falling” (葉落, yeluo) because it is the color of autumn, while “heart” resembles “core” (核的, hede).

Zhai concluded this “proves” English is, in fact, a “dialect” of Mandarin. He further claimed that after Chinese formed the English language, Russian, French, German, and other European-based languages, went through a similar process of sinicization.

The World Civilization Research Association group of scholars are professors from a number of Chinese academic institutions. Association member Zhu Xuanshi (諸玄識) further claimed that Western civilization is a “sub-civilization” of Chinese culture.

He said Europeans “felt ashamed” due to the “fact” there was no history in Europe before the 15th century, compared to China. In an attempt to paper over this historical humiliation, the Europeans “fabricated” stories about ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Roman civilizations – all based on Chinese history.

World Civilization Research Association founder Du Gangjian (杜鋼建) said the organization has set up branches in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Thailand, South Korea, and Madagascar to “restore” the truth of world history. “Do not let fake, Western-centered history hinder the great Sino-Renaissance,” he was quoted as saying.

Many Chinese citizens were unconvinced, however, with some mocking the association members by calling them “Wolf Warrior Scholars” – which references a patriotic Chinese movie. “Thanks, we can no longer laugh at the Koreans who claimed Confucius and Genghis Khan are Korean,” one commenter sardonically lamented.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
also:

quote:

taiwannews

Recognizing Taiwan's independence harshest punishment for CCP: US lawmaker
Top Foreign Affairs Committee Republican says China’s biggest fear not US but inability to control its people

By Ching-Tse Cheng, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2020/07/11 12:17

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — The ranking Republican in the U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee, Michael McCaul, said he believes recognizing Taiwan as a sovereign, independent country would be the harshest punishment that the U.S. could inflict on Beijing.

In an interview with VOA earlier this week, the Texas representative expressed his belief that the Chinese Communist Party's (CCP) ideology is destined to fail. Stressing that the U.S. is not Beijing's top enemy, he said Chinese citizens who had been indoctrinated or oppressed by the authoritarian regime would someday see the truth and stand up against their ruler and that this would be the party's biggest fear: being unable to control its people.

McCaul pointed out that the U.S. has no desire to engage in a military conflict with the CCP but that it will not hesitate to condemn human rights violations and support democracy. He also urged Chinese citizens to try to understand that their voices and basic rights have been taken away.

When asked about the American stance on cross-strait issues, McCaul emphasized that Washington would not allow Beijing's crackdown on Hong Kong to be repeated in Taiwan. He noted the CCP had intensified its threats toward Taiwan recently, with some on the Chinese side claiming Hong Kong's national security law is a blueprint for the island nation.

McCaul said the U.S. has continued its arms sales to Taiwan and that it would not abandon support for its East Asian ally. He added that diplomatically recognizing Taiwan would be a huge decision, but one that would hurt the CCP severely.

Meanwhile, the U.S. lawmaker also condemned Beijing's continual attempts to conceal information about the coronavirus pandemic, which has wrought devastation worldwide. He said both the CCP and World Health Organization (WHO) should be blamed for the worsening crisis because of their decision to ignore early professional warnings, reported Liberty Times.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a-idUSKCN1VP35H

Tl;dr: it's a great day for Singapore

The finance will fly, my actual interest is in will happen to the port. It's long been significant.

But, I'm not a sailor, so I couldn't possibly comment.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Houston we have a problem

Just wanted to get that out here, I haven't read up, apols if I'm the 100th version of it

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
加油川普 - Jia you chuan Po (jar yo trum Po)
Go Trump!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Because I am no Gordon Ramsey, my rice opinions are possibly outdated.

As much as I love a rice cooker, I do have a hankering for loose , fragrant, long-grain rice on occasion, for a curry type dish etc.

I actually thought the purpose of the hilariously funny video of a random Asian guy guy having a meltdown at white peoples' rice, was to highlight that most people (Asians included) can't cook rice anymore. Thereby highlighting him as the fool, not the Karen making rice the old way.

I was taught the fry in oil for a bit, then boil it off method as a child.
As far as i know, that is how it was done in the millennia before rice cookers were invented.
I can't speak to the sales of rice-cooker equipment in India, I would guess it's not significant, since they have kept the old skills alive.

Don't get me wrong, i love 'sticky' rice as much as the next fan of congealed gelatinous mush.