Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Wooo new thread.

China content: last time I was in Korea visiting the in laws, I picked up some 'Kakao friends' surgical masks as a novelty gift for friends back in the UK.

Never got round to giving them to people, but have just donated them to my Taiwanese friend. Turns out her sister had come over to visit before the corona virus outbreak, and now has to fly back via Hong Kong, but can't get masks anywhere.

Just hope it settles down (or has at least reached world ending pandemic) before I have to fly out to Seoul for BIL's wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

This happens for every disease outbreak. People just salivating to ban foreigners.

It must be nice to have the Korean immune system that prevents all diseases.

Ugh, I look forward to not being able to eat out anywhere when I have to go to Seoul for the brother in law's wedding in 3 weeks. Especially as I have no intention of bothering with masks and the like.

Also: Jesus freaks spreading the virus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/22/coronavirus-south-korea-sees-huge-jump-cases-china-hubei-wuhan-outbreak-

Wife is worried and beg/borrow/stealing all the surgical masks she can get a hold of, as she is staying on in Seoul and Jinhae for a month after the wedding.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Mr. Mittens once caught and ate a roach and then sat meowing at the spot on the wall where he had last seen it hoping more would appear. Then he started begging me to help.

He was not the smartest cat.

Soju brings me half dead mice/birds, then meows pitifully for me to come take a look. Two mice have survived the night and been released far away the next day.

Mandu (:rip:) brought me half a cooked sausage. I miss my dumb trash cat. :(

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Khorne posted:

I've been hoping all of this quarantine stuff will make people realize that most people could do their jobs from home. But, so far that hasn't happened. I switched to 90% remote a year ago and it's mostly awesome.

My company wants me to isolate myself for 14 days after my return from Seoul ('high risk' according to our H&S dept.), and are providing me with a laptop to get some work in while doing so. Which would be great, except my job isn't an office type job, and has little paperwork.

So two weeks of mindless busy work in the comfort of my own home. Not so bad, all things considered.

Except my wife returns two weeks after I do. And as she will be coming from a 'high risk' area, and I will be in immediate contact with her, I have to isolate for a further 14 days.

So including my holiday, I will be away from my actual job for six weeks. While most people would be happy at this prospect, I can only imagine the shitshow I am going to return to. :ohdear:

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

At least you got out!

Nope, but I am about to :getin:

Our flight departs for Seoul on Sunday, arriving Monday, assuming nothing else goes wrong (my connecting flight was a flybe codeshare, so that was a 40 minute call mostly on hold to re-route).

As it is, the wedding we're going to is most likely gonna be cancelled, but I just want a holiday, virus hot zone or otherwise.

I seem to be really lucky when it comes to travel. Previously visited St Petersburg while Russia were having that spat with Georgia, and flew with Qatar right after the diplomatic row with it's neighbours kicked off.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Just arrived at Incheon airport (~3pm local time) and it's a ghost town.

Our flight was the only one that had currently arrived, and it was half empty (almost everyone had a row to themselves). No immigration queue, single luggage carousel in operation. They had a quarantine beagle doing the rounds, but he seemed more interested in the luggage trolleys than anyone waiting. Arrivals area had a handful of people but was otherwise empty. It's so weird.

The only time I've been in an airport as quiet was arriving at Schipol at 4:30am.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I'm currently on Jeju which has some crazy sorting system. They've got all kinds of containers and compactors and bins.

Same at the apartment complex I'm at in Seoul. General waste goes in bags, but all the other stuff has to be separated out into separate bins (glass/plastic/polystyrene/paper/tin cans/etc).

So far, despite all the covid19 worry, really enjoying the visit. Lot of places are less busy than usual, and it's weird seeing Myeongdong almost deserted. Downside is my flights have been cancelled and re-routed twice now, which is kind've annoying, but I might qualify for compensation because of it, paying for the return visit when the wedding I was supposed to be here for now is rescheduled.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

My flight was changed before I even woke up this morning, and I leave glorious Nippon tomorrow.

Every other day this week I've had a flight cancelled and changed until Thursday, when the carrier (Air France, then KLM) pretty much just said "Everythings canceled, wait until we're flying again or take a refund".

If I didn't have to return for work, I would stay in South Korea, because life has been pretty much normal. Parents sent me back pictures of empty shelves from the UK (they had a mad dash up from Portugal for the ferry in their camper van as the borders started closing).

So now I'm sat at in an eerily empty Incheon, waiting for my direct flight home (because gently caress getting stranded in a third country with no family support), with most of the souvenirs ditched for hand sanitiser, surgical masks, pasta and a single toilet roll (just in case).

Other than the rebooking flights nonsense, a good trip all round, and Jeju is lovely (though the drivers are loving terrible).

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

They're also sending that to people in Korea which is absolute loving lmao. Hey leave one of the countries handling this best to come back to Literal Hell?

Everyone I've spoken to having returned to the UK has laughed at the fact they were all so worried about me visiting Korea, only for the UK to go to poo poo in less than two weeks.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Posting on the second lucky page of the thread. 800 pages until the next, seize the opportunity.

I missed the auspicious pages in the last thread, but not this time!

Also, if blocking Chinese gamers helps to thin the herds of online cheaters, all the better for it.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the royal road to hangover cure is an iv up your arm.

Quoting for truth.

I was designated driver on a night out when a friend had his drinked spiked with methamphetamine. He'd already had a skinfull, so veered from happy drunk to passing in and out of consciousness pretty rapidly.

Got him to hospital, they took some blood, confirmed that he had been spiked (and it wasn't just too much booze as initially suspected), and he spent the night in hospital with a couple of IVs.

Next day, he calls me up at 7am to come pick him up because he feels great (oblivious to the fact we all didn't make it to bed til ~3-4am).

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

poopnanners posted:

Your friend probably did those drugs intentionally, was still high in the morning, and lied to you.

Yeah nah.

High in the morning yes, but intentionally taken them no. Dude didn't even smoke, let alone do drugs, and in his concious moments was mostly worried about whether this would gently caress up his impending RAF application (it didn't).

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This is 100% not how any amphetamines works, let alone methamphetamine

Welp, take that up with the doctor in A&E that evening, because after the blood was drawn, he came back and told us that my friend's results were consistent with either; a heart attack, a car accident involving crush damage to the torso, or some form of methamphetamine. And since he hadn't suffered either of the first two, that narrowed it down somewhat.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That doesn't make sense, though, they could easily check for meth at the same time they were checking for troponins and give a definitive answer.

I am not a doctor, so I cannot comment.

I just remember having to half carry him out of a club as the only sober person in our group, get him to the car to drive him to A&E, and check him in at the front desk while the other drunk friends held him over a toilet to vomit.

We wait, doctor asks him if he is Mr [Name], to which he enthusiastically says "Nooooo!", so the doctor told him "Well I don't have to treat you then" and walks off. I apologise to the doctor, tell my friend to shut up, and the drunk friends to go out to the waiting room. I explain that he passed out in the club, bouncer said he must be on something because his eyes are like saucers, but that he had been drinking excessively (pre-game, pub crawl, and finally club), so it may just be booze.

Nurse came in, drew blood, gave him a cardboard bowl to vomit into, which he promptly did. A while later, doc comes back, tells me usually people come in saying they've been 'spiked', but it's actually just too much booze (which as the only sober person, I thought it was). But then he said the thing above about heart attack/car crash/methamphetamine, and asked me if he had suffered either of the first two, so I told him nope.

They tell me they'll keep him in overnight and to go home. We say bye as they're putting in his drip (he'll get a second drip because at some point he will get up to use the toilet and pull it out). I drop the others home, get to mine for 3-4am, and get a call at 7am to pick him up, he's discharged himself because he feels great.

Sorry for the derail everyone.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
On both my trips to Tokyo and Taipei, a random person helped me in perfect English.

Tokyo: I get off the subway, open my map to look for the exact street my hostel is on, and some dude in a suit asks me where I'm headed and gives me directions.

Taipei: In a Carrefour looking for a specific mooncake filling to send to my Taiwanese friend in Germany. My wife is trying to translate as best she can, when a schoolgirl overhears us and translates all the varieties into English.

In Korea on the other hand, it's boiled down to two instances of school children (5ish in wifes apartment lift, and teens on Jeju island) saying "Hello!", and then being surprised/shy when I replied something like, "Hello, pleased to meet you".

Oh, and the falling over drunk salaryman who wanted to start a conversation with me on the bus. That's when my GCSE French finally got used; "Pardon? Je ne comprend pas."

Although, with a few exceptions, I have noticed that of my wife's friends, most of them are a lot more relaxed about chatting in English after a few drinks.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
My BIL in Korea had made a stew with some booze in, but wasn't following the recipe and dumped the whole bottle in. It tasted foul, so he left it on the stove and reheated it for like ~1 hour a day for a week, never trying it, just reheating it, in an effort to burn off the alcohol.

After nearly a week of watching this I just binned it on the basis of it being an unnecessary health hazard amidst the current pandemic.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

I'm curious what other Korea goons' experience with the whole situation has been.

I flew out to Seoul for BIL's wedding (which was cancelled) on March 8th. Before heading out, everyone was asking if I was sure it'd be safe, wasn't I worried etc. Work insisted I work from home for 2 weeks upon my return to the UK.

The two weeks I had in Seoul and on Jeju island were great. Aside from the odd closed restaurant, everything we wanted to see/do was open as normal, just quieter.

Meanwhile, I got to watch the news from back in the UK as the country collectively shat itself. Air France bumped me over to KLM, who also subsequently cancelled my flight home, so I had to book a direct flight back with BA. Wife stayed behind because she didn't have work commitments.

Got back to UK, already had enough dried food and toilet paper to weather the shortages from panic buyers, did no working from home because the managers were too busy to assign me anything, and then was at work 2 weeks before they offered to furlough almost everyone for 8 weeks.

If they had announced the intention to furlough while I was in Seoul, I would've stayed on there, because the UK's response has been laughable (and I've probably been insufferable to everyone at work pointing out how badly we've handled it compared to Korea).

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Welp, it's been fun reading all the insane stories shared, both anecdotes and those in the news.

Not sure what I'm gonna read while idling at work now, assuming the worst. :(

I'll never look at peanut brittle the same way.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Maybe the extra pieces are the friends we made along the way?

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Welp, looks like I missed my chance to visit HK. :(

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Taiwanese Netflix also has a bunch of stuff, including alot of 80s Chow Yun Fat. If we're giving recommendations out, A Better Tomorrow, I feel, is better than Hard Boiled, and on par with The Killer.

Story wise maybe, but as far as action goes, Hard Boiled will remain, much like Taiwan, #1.

In some ways, part of me is glad I won't get to visit HK, since I know deep down I'd be dissappointed if it wasn't like the 80/90s movies.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

But I'm guessing rice cookers are less common in the UK, especially in white people's homes.

Probably for the most part, though they must be getting less niche, as I got my cheapo basic rice cooker from a supermarket's own label.

Sometimes I like to cook my rice in chicken stock.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

I think he said that he was spending too much time on the forums and oversharing and wanted to make a clean break. In my head canon he and Chaoshan girl now wander around China together, sampling the local cuisines while righting wrongs

All the while suffering bouts of gastric distress.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i know over 40 korean and korean american dudes and i am the only korean ethnicity dude who i know who can cook worth a drat

My bro in law can cook, but my wife not so much (part of why she married me is because I can cook).

His food safety, however, was somewhat lacking, considering the amount of stuff he'd leave out on the side.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Nthing the 'bone shards wtf' sentiment.

Went to a dim sum restaurant in London's Chinatown, ordered a bunch of dishes including duck, was not prepared for the crunch. Kinda ruined the meal because it felt like you either had to do exploratory surgery on each piece before eating it, or really cautiously chew and spit out the shards as you went.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Kharnifex posted:

I hope Haier and Chaoshan girl are hiding out somewhere peaceful making lots of children.

She's out making bank, he's a house husband due to his bowel troubles.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
China

C h i n a

C h I n A

Guys, it's been staring us in the face the whole time! China itself is a false flag op by the CIA, to subvert the rise of communism via the Sino-Soviet split, and then to provide a credible 'threat' to the west after the breakup of the USSR in order to maintain high levels of military spending, and deflect criticism of the USA and it's puppets.

Also beans are fine, though when it comes to fish shaped treats I prefer the prepackaged wafer fish filled with vanilla ice-cream (which none of the local or not-so-local asian markets stock). :(

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Also when I lived in Chengdu some rabbit restaurants got busted by the government for serving cats instead of rabbits. My frequent goon dining partner Fleta Mcgurn is a boneologist and said the skeletons are different enough she'd be able to make sure that didn't happen to us. I don't like rabbit that much anyway.

There's a phrase in Spanish for being tricked/conned that translates to 'be given a cat for a hare', apparently due to unscrupulous butchers trying to pass cats off as such.

Tried dog two ways in Korea, boiled and served with green onions, and in a thin, spicy soup. It was okay, but the fat was really gamey. As I mentioned last time this came up, I think it'd be a lot better if it was barbecued.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

What is a MUN

A miserable little pile of secrets.

Efb

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

What did I ever do to invite such personal attacks.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm old enough to have watched re-runs of the old BG as a child, and just never got round to seeing new BG.

Anyhow, wife is in the 'OMG Sandra Oh so ugly!' camp, but I'm now curious to see her reaction to Grace Park...

Also, despite multiple trips to SK, still no cult approaches. Not even the church opposite my wife's apartment block. What do Jesus/Earth Mother/Aliens/etc have against me? :(

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Korean food is awesome but the sweet garlic bread can gently caress off.

This a 1000 times. And all the other sweetened bread for that matter.

Spicy jokbal is usually the first thing wife and I go for upon arrival in Korea, even before taking our luggage to the apartment. Spicy, garlic-y, fatty goodness.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

5er posted:

It's not even remotely Asia related but I had a great-aunt who would make this lightly sweetened sourdough from some old Dutch kept-in-the-family-since--before-the-Mayflower recipe that really worked. I'd never completely write off 'sweetened bread' as universally bad.

Oh no, don't get wrong, sweetened bread has a place. And that place is the trash!

Jokes aside, I'm fine with sweetened bread as an option, sometimes it can even be preferable depending on what you're making (pb + blueberry or cherry jam on a cinnamon bagel or fruit loaf is top tier imo).

But when what you want is a nice savoury whole grain loaf, no amount of sweetened bread is gonna do the trick.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I was ordering dinner at a restaurant in the night market I live in when a rat sprang up and started skittering around and the whole staff was running around trying to kill it. They eventually they got it cornered and the head chef kicked it to death. He then apologized to me and sat at the counter with a thousand yard stare while the rest of the staff made my meal. This is the second time I've seen this (rat chase in a restaurant) in this night market. The other time was at the restaurant on the 1st floor of my building (that ended in a similar fashion.) I've lived in this night market for almost 10 years, I've seen my fair share of rats, but they usually are only in the open in the morning crawling out of sewer drains when no one is around.

I got a three dollar discount on my food, which was nice.

Poor Remy.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

That'll do, Pig.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

All the international flights I’ve been on have had unlimited booze. They only round every so often so the trick is just to walk back to their hidey hole and ask for more.

My last flight with Air France, they just left a tray of cognac minis alongside the snacks to help yourself to in the galley.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Kharnifex posted:

Croc is fishy Chicken, and I find it a bit stringy at times. Bullfrogs better, haven't tried Gator, maybe they are better due to being slower and fattier.

I tried gator jerky and would also describe it as being "fishy chicken", like chicken with a fishy aftertaste.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Macho Marxist Xi Jinping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

McGavin posted:

The issue I have with hot pot is that it's middle-tier cuisine, especially when most other Chinese food is delicious.

Same. Tried it in restaurants, and had Chinese friends make it for me, and every time has been: "Eh, it's alright." It's not terrible, or inedible (though everything is just kinda 'soggy'), but there are better options if you want a combo of soup/meat/veggies/noodles.