Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Taiwan#1

Anyway my India trip is going well, in many places we stop to eat at, if they have menus, have "American Chop Suey" and "Chinese Chop Suey" on the menus. I have not asked what they are.

Also we are staying in a village outside of Munnar, we go to the only health clinic in the village. We're traveling with someone who used to work there as the pharmacist, he was there four years and it seems like we just get stopped everywhere we go to chat with people who know him. So when we are there he says "so what pills you want" and I say I'm having some heartburn. So we go into the pharmacy and get some pills for that and some other generics. All treatment and medicine there is free. Ohhh, the horrors of socialized medicine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Title should say Goonmeat btw

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This is my last night in India proper, and everything has been going very smoothly. No real good stories to share in a Haier fashion. So we are going to out last dinner in Kochi, and we never really did any city driving, mostly in the country. We had a great time on mountain roads on 4x4s, and I got carsick driving down those mountains after because we were going very fast and the curves were very tight. So now we are driving in Koch suburbs in some very tight roads. I guess that's the thing about India: every road was full of blind curves and every property has high walls right at the road. Cars need to be small to work here. But we are driving in a Hyundai crossover: fine in the abstract...not good here. After several turns, the car in front of us stops dead in a turn: HONK. Hooonk. HONK HOOONK. A honking battle begins between sides, each unwilling to go back and make room for the other to squeeze through. After about a minute of this, five large dudes get out of the car in front of us and start jawing with the other car. Scooters and bikes are piling up around us, then a couple families walking through to round it out. About 25 people around us. But nothing bad happens: everyone outside starts directing traffic to figure out how to get out of the snarl. We and the car in front back up, letting two cars and a truck through. We then try to go through the turn and a van almost hits us. the van though immediately, at great speed, backs up down the block to let us through.

The more fun story is going on the airport tomorrow with a wife whose got a cold, which I think I'm also coming down with. Can't wait for extra screening trying to get back home.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kharnifex posted:

The toilets at Ueno station were legendary, Tokyo craigslist had years worth of insane ramblings about them, it's a shame they were not preserved for future generations to read about Ueno cock suckers.

googling "Ueno toilet stall" and "Ueno cock suckers" didn't get me anywhere so I'd like to know more.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shumagorath posted:

I read that as CSPAM Waifu Thread and didn't blink.

No the Bernie thread is over there

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Blistex posted:

When I had pizza at an upscale restaurant in China my wife specified additional sauce (when we were ordering), as every pizza place puts little to none on their pizzas. When it arrived there was still just the nearly non-existent amount of tomato sauce on the crust, but they then remedied the situation by emptying 1/2 a bottle of ketchup over the top of it.

I've never had bad pizza in Taiwan besides Pizza Hut/Dominos. I live next to a good pizza place so I'm spoiled though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LimburgLimbo posted:

man do I hope that's real and not photoshopped

The other main guy in the photo is Ko Wen-Je, the mayor of Taipei. He's a former (or current, I dunno) doctor. Kind of a glib dude but I don't generally like him, but I don't live in Taipei. He started his own political party last year and there is always rumors of him running for president.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_People%27s_Party

It's Taiwanese news. This was deliberate, or a very good fake.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i gotta know what it was

The reanimated Kabuto from Cinnabar Island

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Squalid posted:

Also up through the 17th century, every time China went to war with a European nation, China won. It's not an accident that they now speak Chinese in Taiwan, instead of Dutch. The Portuguese had to beg and grovel for the right to set of fortifications in Macau, and had absolutely no illusions regarding who wore the pants in their relationship with the Imperial court.

If you listen long enough, they don't

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Spare a thought for all of those people on holiday in Europe who aren't being subjected to obnoxious Chinese tourist groups at the moment.

But they still could get some Wu Flu:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/23/world/europe/italy-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don't think this is limited to East Asia. A friend of mine from Turkey told me it's the same there, and I imagine it's true of a lot of places in the world. Unless I'm mistaken, this used to be true in the west as well, until tobacco companies realized women were a huge unexploited market and social norms had shifted enough to allow women to smoke.

I was always under the impression that men smoked/dipped while women could use snuff.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

oohhboy posted:

Someone posted earlier an article that did an analysis showing China's data is just a mathematical function. loving :lol: every country somehow has the same number of infections except for Japan like come on. I would not be surprised if China is under reported by 10X or more.

I think we are again learning that taiwan continues to be #1

can't wait for it finally to hit here and everything go to poo poo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrainDance posted:

Hey weren't you banned from all China threads?

I think just D&D and CSPAM, not here

welcome back pevin you're looking dapper, did the 1 month quarantine help you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

I think just D&D and CSPAM, not here

welcome back pevin you're looking dapper, did the 1 month quarantine help you

Well, guess I was wrong

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah this may have come from the differentiation between the larger, more common balls and the smaller ones that you can suck up using a normal straw. I like those more, but if I'm getting something like that now I'll get coconut jelly thing instead.

The talk of booze and tapioca pearls did lead to towards this wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagu_(dessert)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Best laugh of this whole mess

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

oohhboy posted:

But seriously, getting gout.

Oh word?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

steinrokkan posted:

WHO is just an agent of the states that fund it, and no state recognizes an independent Taiwan. If you want the WHO to recognize Taiwan, make sure that your government does so.

Palau and Paraguay we need you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Roumba posted:

"Step on/Hit the gas!" was the translation I was given most often.

That does work but thinking about the phrase as one big oil metaphor just seems wrong to me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Magna Kaser posted:

looking for white people to do mundane things is a tale as old as time, but they tend to pay very well. Circa 2010 I was in a McDonalds in Hangzhou eating with a British friend of mine and a Chinese woman came up to us and said they'd pay her like 3000rmb to put on a fancy dress and greet people at some investment event nearby for a few hours that evening.

She (probably in poor judgment) took that offer and it was basically as they described. She, a white lady, wore an ill-fitting dress and said "Hello" to older Chinese dudes as they fed her a decent meal. They paid her the equivalent of several hundred dollars in cash a couple hours later and he was on her way.

It's always been a good source of income for the folks who can get it.

I was paid to be in a video and be photos on a company website for this electronics manufacturer. Then we went out to a club and he drove me home, I never saw him again.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What's a pocari and why are they bottling its sweat?

its clear gatorade

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I have several male Taiwanese friends and acquaintances, one of whom told me good stories like "the time I got maced" and "the time I was walking home and got punched in the face"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's funny because in places like Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, etc. "expat" is/was in my experience more often used to denote people on "expat packages" aka by and large very very well off, though perhaps wastrels of their own sort. I think it's also complicated by the vast majority of the western community in Asian countries definitely not being "immigrants" in the sense that relatively few of them have interest in taking citizenship, as opposed to people from poorer countries who can and will jump at the chance to apply for Japanese, Singaporean, etc. citizenship given the chance.

I would be interested in citizenship except it would involve renouncing all previous citizenship, something that you wouldn't have to do moving to most (all?) western countries. Supposedly in the fall my permanent residency number in Taiwan will be the same style as a citizen ID number, which would get me over the hump from being able to order things online or randomly sign up to park in certain parking lots.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dont Touch ME posted:

Bu wei shen me :xd:

沒有, not 不

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Magna Kaser posted:

fried rice rules, actually

Nah I've gotten real tired of it recently, but living in a night market will do that to you. Still diggin ba wans though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Insane Totoro posted:

Goons dying from day old rice is legitimately the funniest poo poo I've read in a while.

My stomach the past couple days has felt like I'm dying - must be the rice

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

Goons being confused/disbelieving that leaving food out for days on end without refrigeration can cause food poisoning is the twist I didn't expect to find in this thread.

There is a difference between "let's eat this green thing that used to be bread" and "this milk has been out of the fridge for 10 minutes, better throw it out"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Magna Kaser posted:

the thread is saying this tho if you replace "milk" with "cooked rice"

just put the rice in the milk and it will be fine, duh

2 negatives into a positive

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MarcusSA posted:

Hey whats wrong with Taiwan?

Nothing and that's the problem

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

No idea about Bad China, but Good China cracked down hard on working illegally back in like 2008 or 2009. They didn't eliminate it, but they certainly made the penalties on the locals much harsher to make the risk not worth it. It used to be much more common for people on tourist visas to work at a buxiban and to do visa runs. Most people who work illegally now are doing it on student visas, but even that isn't super common.

I have one friend now who is going through a world of poo poo right now because he has been doing visa runs since 2018. He got his degree online from a university that doesn't exist anymore (as far as I can tell, was not a DeVry type but just a school fell apart normally) and the gov/consulate is not going to give him another work permit, even though he had one his first year here. The usual visa run path is through HK, but the gov. was shutting down most flights to there since January, so instead in March he went to Okinawa and came back. But then his job wouldn't let him come back to work for 3 weeks after he left the country, even after he got a negative test result back. Being non-salary like many buxiban jobs, that means he lost several weeks from new years, the delay in restarting classes from the initial outbreak, and several weeks from this, realistically about three months pay.

The Taiwanese gov. has been pretty good about these kinds of workers (meaning, the non-SE Asian workers, those dudes were hosed over hard. The funny thing is I read an article complaining about Vietnamese illegal factory workers, where they are stuck in Taiwan because the Vietnamese gov won't let them back into the country until this is over) and allowing people to get tourist visa extensions for the past few months.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrainDance posted:

These people are Vietnamese citizens, but they're not allowed back into Vietnam?

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3939447

quote:

According to Chen, both of Taiwan's major carriers -- China Airlines and EVA Airways -- have been only able to carry passengers from destinations in Vietnam to Taiwan, but not the other way around.

This has caused issues for the Taiwanese government, Chen told the press after the briefing, because Vietnam has not agreed to requests from Taiwan to send back illegal workers caught in Taiwan since late January.

Taiwan only faces difficulties on this issue when it comes to Vietnam, since Thailand and Indonesia have both recently agreed to take back their countrymen caught working illegally in Taiwan, Chen said.

The total number of illegal Vietnamese workers detained in Taiwan has surpassed 700 as a result, as the Vietnamese government said it does not have the capacity for the required quarantine measures for these people, according to Chen.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dont Touch ME posted:

I've been looking online lately at some information regarding Taiwan, but I've been getting conflicting information and thought this thread might know better.

I was thinking about moving to Taiwan in 3 month stints until I could get permanent residency after the coronavirus stuff ends. I have a completely remote job for a company that only does business in the US, and I can't get a straight answer on how legal it is to be working remotely in another country, in Taiwan, on a visitor visa.

Some sources say it's perfectly fine and legal. Some sources say that it's not and I need a worker's visa. I don't plan on asking the Taiwanese economy for a job, ever. I know it'd be easy to hide the fact that I'm working over the internet, but I'd like to at least try to do things above board.

The AIT and BOCA's websites haven't been especially helpful in trying to figure out if that's allowed or not.

You're not getting permanent residency unless you're working a Taiwanese job. Working in Taiwan in "3 month stints" is called doing a visa run for a tourist visa, and you can only get residency from a work visa. What you would be doing is "legal" in the sense that many people do this, but it is generally frowned upon. Since COVID started, people with tourist visas having been getting month-to-month extensions for their last tourist visa:

https://www.mofa.gov.tw/en/News_Con...IdhAMoAiCvbjnE4

If you overstay that, you can ask for an extension (I think once...ever?) and if they catch you over-extended you're banned from the country. They are doing this because the number of flights, to any country (typically visa runs are to hong kong, which had flights back and forth every hour) are down like 90%, and you will need a mandatory 2 week quarantine whenever you enter the country.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/152932/

To put it in simplier terms, getting a APRC (alien permanent residency card) means you need:

https://allhandstaiwan.com/blog/2019/02/18/opportunity-or-dilemma-work-aprc-vs-marriage-aprc/

quote:

First, the housekeeping for this topic. As you may know, there are (at least?) three ways to obtain an APRC in Taiwan. Here’s a quick, general breakdown of each:
The Foreign Professional APRC – Foreigners can apply for this permanent residency visa after living and working on a continuous ARC (changing companies is allowed) for five consecutive years, spending at least 183 days per year in Taiwan and earning at least double the Taiwan minimum wage over the course of the year. One unique benefit of this APRC is that the holder needs to only spend one day every five years in Taiwan to maintain it.
The Family-based APRC – As the spouse or child of a native Taiwanese citizen, one must reside in Taiwan for five consecutive years while registered for the Joint Family Residence Visa (JFRV) for over 183 days per year, or reside in Taiwan for 10 consecutive years for over 183 days in at least five of those years.
APRC Plum Blossom Program – This program is aimed at uniquely qualified, skilled professionals. For those deemed worthy, there are no minimum residency requirements, no income requirements, and no filing fees. (For the purpose of this article, this will be the only mention of the Plum Blossom APRC. Sidebar: I’ve never met anyone who’s been granted this kind of APRC.)

I've posted in the Taiwan thread about when I got my APRC about 4 years ago now. The immigration office has your exact records of when you came in and out of the country, and when your visa time lasped. One of my friends was 4 years and some months in when our school hosed up and delayed his paperwork by 3 days, it was a break in his visa, and his clock started over. Supposedly that is supported to be laxing soon but I haven't heard about it.

You could also try asking Qs here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TaiwanAPRC/?hc_location=ufi

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 20, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's a goon in Taiwan who has gone back and forth between 90 day landing exemptions and a student visa once or twice. No one ever really questions him.

Yeah that could work, but I've never heard of someone being able to do that and get an APRC. That's work or marriage only.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A4R8 posted:

America is not a democracy

so which rereg are you again

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

It does have its utility as a face-saving excuse for suicide/alcohol poisoning.

There's also the thing about keeping windows open when the heater is on. That actually has a sensible basis, heating systems were just burning coal/wood/charcoal and people dropped like flies in winter from carbon monoxide poisoning. They actually mandated the window thing during the Park Chung-hee era to deal with the problem IIRC. Unfortunately, people forgot the actual reason behind it and it turned into "grandma said" wisdom, so now they still keep all the windows open while the electrical heater is on and doing nothing.

This is a Taiwanese thing as well. My wife still wants to keep windows open in winter time, and then complains about mosquitos. I have mentioned this several times in this thread.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ded posted:

3gorge drat stuff i would guess

that's a different river, the yangtze (zhang jiang)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TTerrible posted:

Post the loving suit before this website goes straight to hell

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I will note I believe I've never said "post the suit"until my last post, because I thought it would be fitting at the end to see it.

Speaking of endings, time for everyone to go home

https://youtu.be/YZL_r3uUdD4

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WarpedNaba posted:

I too support the DPP.

I never got to get a picture of the Taiwan independence party Taichung headquarters near me. They have a Formosa, Japan, and US flag flying outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fojar38 posted:

forums poster poo poo pee pee can you please elaborate on this post

edit: and this one

Sounds like pevin