Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

ulmont posted:

I have questions.

i don't. lots of them abound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

BrainDance posted:

Speaking of cows

We always get raw milk when I'm in Kaifeng, and I'm always like "I wanna just drink it raw I'll take the risk" cuz it's hard to get raw milk in America. And my wifes always like "no you dont" then they boil the milk. And I never got it, raw milk is a little risky but it's not that risky and boiling milk ruins it.

Then the other week I went and saw the cows, and I get it. I know cows can just be dirty but I think these are dirtier than average. That's all the space they got, too, there's no more, this is in a residential area so there's just houses on every side which really sucks if those people wanna open their windows lol

wasn't there something a few years ago where a bunch of republican reps repealed health regulations on milk, celebrated it by drinking raw milk at the press conference and then they all got incredibly sick?

back on topic, what's the difference between scallion pancakes and the taiwanese savory egg pancakes you get at those breakfast shops?

NoiseAnnoys fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 3, 2023

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yugioh mishima posted:

egg pancake (蛋餅)is like thinner and soft and chewy (usually) and always has egg i believe and scallion pancake (蔥油餅)has more flaky/crispy pastry, is thicker, and doesn’t necessarily have egg though if u get one without egg you’re definitely fuckin weird. also i think the scallion pancake is made with more oil. at least that is my understanding

cool, i'm going to try track down a good recipe to surprise my wife with egg pancakes one of these mornings because she misses them a ton and we haven't been able to visit Taipei and her parents since the beginning of the pandemic. it's a shame my mandarin and taiwanese are absolute dogshit, I gotta work on that this year, but hopefully some cooking blog has a good english-language recipe.

yeah egg (and sometimes cheese) is key, but the egg pancakes I loved from the breakfast joint in her neighborhood always had bacon or pork in them. definitely one of the all-time great breakfasts, even if the milk tea always gives everyone the shits.

Wonton posted:

Wtfffff

蔥油餅沒有雞蛋. No ducking eggs in a scallion pancake. Everything else is right.

And scallion pancakes better be made in a big pan so they can get a bit of extra surface area and have some fluffy air inside so you aren’t biting chewy dough all the time.

Yeah, super hot pan, and you gotta stretch and tear them while they cook so they get flaky and crispy, right?

NoiseAnnoys fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 3, 2023

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

ronya posted:

As a plea for cultural relativity, the West also had a brief cultural period of fascination with mysticism and esotericism. New ways of knowing! The mysteries of the occult! Jim Jone's People's Temple was politically active and influential. Let's not imply that mysticism is a unique Chinese defect of spirituality, because it wasn't.

You would not have been wrong, as an observer in the 1970s, to point out that these many of these cults had deeply abusive internal structures, encouraged self-destructive levels of substance abuse, or had links to dangerously fringe politicians or even militants. Would the West have been better off rounding all involved up and disappearing them into camps? Seems unlikely.

you could probably go back even farther to the spiritualists and the occultists like crowley and their fascination with yoga, tbh.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

I just dont like how political it got.

how political were you expecting an international airspace incident to get, if you don't mind my asking?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

okay balloons are hard to control, So the plan of send a bunch of ballons to float over X place for spy reasons is just kinda hard for me to believe.

Also I know its china so its not like china will say to the international world "a mistake happaned" as in those were ballons for X reason and they happened to float that way. gently caress I remember they called the fruit flies they sent to the moon "lazy" instead of "dead"

Then the simple fact the balloon was very very high up. So shooting it down was hard. But then when it was over the ocean it was lower and within reach of missles.

But see trump said shoot it down, well if trump says something it must be bad and we should not shoot it down, but then biden shot it down and if biden shot it down then he s agreeing with trump which is a good thing/ bad thing.

In UPS_rails world of adults

China would say "hey thats a experimental metrological high altitude platform that belong to this organization....well bring them out to talk about....it seems the wind is gonna blow it over canada and USA and other other places"

USA: So a chinese high altitude ballow is flying over our nation were tracking it and working with its owners in china to see what its doing.

CHUDS: that balloon will activate the 5G covid vaccine and turn us all gay

MSM: please ignore the chuds/

yeah that's not what would happen anywhere.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Porfiriato posted:

Any legit 'innocent' agency would also have been identified by this point, instead of the Chinese government continuing to dodge and weave every time they're asked who, exactly, the balloon belonged to anyway.

it;s a shame we made this political

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

probably shouldn't have killed all those pesky traditional chinese martial artists during the great leap forward.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

They should send Jackie Chan

Taiwan got Chang Dong Sheng in the expansion draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ym3y0iLpSE

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Also, woof that is a gross russian twitter account.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

germane to the taiwan/china topic split and being good husbands, etc.

my wife is taiwanese, in-laws are taiwanese (natch!) and i'm not. so now that my career is settling down and i'm able to devote more time to it, i'd like to start learning more taiwanese and mandarin (beyond the swears) so i can communicate with my in-laws more fully. also, we're hoping to raise our kid trilingually (mandarin, english, and czech) so i'd like to at least have a foundation in some decent mandarin. plus i love going back to taiwan and we're hoping to go there (god willing and xi doesn't start any poo poo) for a visit next year or this christmas, so it'd be great to be more independent and be able to go out and do stuff we need to do (groceries, help out, etc.) without my wife translating or google translating everything.

does anyone have any recommended online courses or textbooks for self-learners? i've got good experience in learning slavic languages and german but every time i try to pick up mandarin i bounce off the textbooks really hard.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Wonton posted:

Holy ducking poo poo this is insane

this is also basically the greatest hits of 20th-21st century history of totalitarian political systems. hungary '56? totally wanted those tanks there. czechoslovakia '68? we were stopping a nato invasion! tianamen '89? what are you talking about, never happened.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

why does it have to be some weird shadowy cabal political thing, op?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

You two are missing my point, I m not litigating the origin of covid, I m asking why now 2 years of reports, articles and statements that didnt point of the finger to china, all of a sudden FBI and DOE are talking about it. I assume there s a reason. And that reason isnt new evidence coming to light.

why are you assuming anything? this is tinfoil hat "great game" thinking, lol.

quick, scour the leper's colony for america's foreign policy shifts!

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Note the lab leak hypothesis isn’t that covid was bioengineered. It’s based upon a series of events:

Someone catches covid for first time in 2019. Doctors isolate the virus and send it to lab for study. Virus spreads. Someone at the lab where it was being studied texted someone “this wasn’t us, was it?” asking if the virus they were studing got accidentally leaked out.

It was intel of the message from one lab worker to another that changed the DOE from saying 45% lab leak origin to 55%. That’s all. There’s nothing saying that it was bioengineered. Rather that a virus being studied was accidentally released due to lax safety/security. The idea being that without the lab deliberately causing the virus to reproduce it wouldn’t have spread.

This idea is plausible, but four other intelligence agencies do not believe that it had any impact on the initial spread of the virus. The DOE is involved because they run pretty much all of the similar labs in the USA.

exactly. it's also not some grand scheme by the biden administration to opaquely comment on us-chinese relations either. our agencies have their own agendas, individual goals, etc., and that's without getting into the fact that this isn't some central politburo situation on our end where all communiqués are approved by centralized bureaucratic authorities.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have no disagreement. I'm just saying that there are 18 intelligence agencies of some sort or another in the USA. Exactly two of them have this explanation as even likely. One of them just barely passed the point of 50% probability tipped over the scales by a plausibly responsible party. The other is full of cops. Reminder that the #1 killer of police for three years running is COVID-19 because they're all trumper dipshits who refuse to get their shot.

This isn't a big deal, and chuds are just screaming about it because they want to scream about it. There are six other agencies specifically tasked with looking into the origins of the pandemic. Of the eight total tasked, the DOE barely thinks lab leak, the FBI thinks lab leak a little bit more, four think natural spread without reservation, and two are undecided.

yeah. i get that it's easy to be cynical about american bureaucracy too, but if anything the inability of the CDC to convey guidelines and force policy in other areas during the pandemic is pretty much proof in the pudding of how inefficient and uncooperative these agencies are to their other governmental bedfellows at their very cores, here.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Kharnifex posted:

I snuck a durian lolly into a kids sandwich once, we all looked on as he ate it and said the butter had gone bad.

mother in law has a power move she'll pull out where she demands durian ice cream and then has two bites and makes my father in law finish it (he hates durian).

i like durian, so i volunteered to help out once and she shoo'd me away. apparently baba had pissed her off the day before over something stupid.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is he? Other than the hype we normally give when billionaires make public statements, I haven’t really heard much about him.

that's cause he got disappeared for a while, no?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yugioh mishima posted:

jiufen is great and especially worth seeing if you like ghibli, it was the inspiration for the town in spirited away

however it will be absolutely full of people if you go on a saturday/sunday and IMO not really worth it if the weather is bad (which it is supposed to be after tomorrow)

jiufun has amazing food, but then again, pretty much everywhere in taiwan does.

outside of taipei, i'm partial to hualien and taichung.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yugioh mishima posted:

close to jiufen you also have houtong where they just opened a mining museum in an old coal washing building. by 'small town Taiwan museum' standards it is extremely good - sensitively restored, lots of English, displays aren't just dry technical descriptions, 10/10 would recommend. also there are tons of cats everywhere (this is the main attraction of the town tbh)

If you only have a few days in taipei then yeah there's definitely enough to see in the city to fill your time. tamsui is nice and the sunset there is famous, but if you want a cool sunset without a 40-minute MRT ride then dadaocheng wharf is basically in the downtown area and you can also gorge yourself on fried food at ningxia night market afterwards

i'll have to hit that up when we go back this year. a few years back i was in xizhi district, which was a coal mining area during the dictatorship, and they had a community coal mining museum which was not nearly as cool. (though did have beers with the cool neighborhood uncle who took me around because he was fascinated that there was a foreigner who knew that there were many different kinds of coal.)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

taiwanese night markets are amazing, but the real secret win are the all-night/early morning breakfast shops.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yugioh mishima posted:

light blue pocari sweat is better than the original imo. And i’m adding 蔥油餅/蔥㧓餅 to the all night soy milk/breakfast list and also 燒餅 with egg and/or cheese

oh and if you’re going to a gay techno rave this weekend then im probably djing, say hi if u dare :unsmigghh:

hell yeah, shaobing, dan bing, or scallion pancakes are the way to go. also with the sauce and 5 spice powder.

don't get the breakfast joint milk tea though unless you're constipated, it'll give you crazy shits.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

hmmm this thread got dumb as poo poo real quick

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The narration of the trailer is so bad

https://youtu.be/1RxrwqLWnyg?si=iDvSpMabwdDt9_CZ

But I will fistfight anyone who says this is not one of the best Kung fu movies ever made.

it's good. my current favorite is prodigal son, directed by sammo hung.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

fuckin' lol @ cleopatra

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Uwu, Antony-san

EDIT: Oh god

cixi lookin like a drop shipped judy dench.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

also don't sleep on king hu, the master of beautiful wuxia films. come drink with me completely revolutionized the genre, then there's dragon inn (the original one), touch of zen, and more.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

didnt taiwan ban it on certan networks for just that very reason?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

my objection to tiktok is it sucks.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

was bummed to see hualien got hit hard, i love that part of taiwan. it's also weirdly enough where i had my first earthquake experience and thought it was my inlaws loving hard in the next room until my wife informed me that no, it was an earthquake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Marcade posted:

Your wife was just covering for them, FYI.

i thought that too until i looked out the window and saw other buidlings shaking lol