Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Mad Hamish posted:

Does the facemask turn it into a six-piece suit?

Nah, still five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I have a question and I'm hoping China goons can help me out. I'm really curious about brands of snacks/drinks from other countries and I'd like to know more about whatever it is that Pangzai is drinking.

I know the clear stuff is some high-proof baiju, which many have said tastes like paint thinner. Is the opaque white one just milk?

I'd like to know more about those colorful drinks. Any guess what they are, specifically? Are those forms of liquor that are naturally that color? Or are they juice, sodas, or sports drinks, possibly mixed with baiju?

Also, what brand of beer is Pangzai always chugging? Is it any good, or is just a generic crappy watery lager?

Can any of you identify what all the different colored drinks are? And if so, have you tried them? How do they taste?

Thanks!

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

The clear one is probably baijiu, yes. The opaque white one is probably either a nut milk (there's a good peanut/walnut combo one) or choujiu, which is like Chinese makgeolli. No clue at all about the colored stuff. I have never had that beer but am 100% confident it's generic watery poo poo.

There really aren't any good Chinese alcohols. Huangjiu can be okay sometimes, and there's good craft beer. Most of it is just paint thinner though.

Thanks for the response. It's those colorful drinks that fascinate me most. I wonder what kind of stuff they sell in rural China in grocery stores or convenience stores. I wonder if it's the rural China equivalent of Faygo.

When I see something like this Russian military drinking ritual,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAnVIhuANlg

I always wonder what those mixers are and what they taste like.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I love it when this thread veers into drink reviews/stories.

Have any of the goons who have spent time in Japan tried any of the canned Suntory highballs? I was wondering if they were any good. I'm not talking about chu-hi--I sampled every flavor I could find when I lived there--but specifically the whiskey sodas in a can.

It's hard to find reviews for all the different kinds there are. On youtube, there's like two videos of expats sipping from the can and saying, "It's good." without describing it at all.

Also, what is/was your favorite Japanese beer?

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

Kirin > Asahi (outside Japan, swap Asahi and Kirin's places)

This is interesting to me. When I was in Japan, I remember liking Kirin Original, and then in America I tried Kirin Ichiban and it kinda sucked. So I'm with you on that one.

But is Asahi in America better? I've had Asahi Super Dry in America and I liked it--a good refreshing macro brew. But is the Asahi in Japan worse? I would've thought they'd be the same.

I've had that awful no-malt Asahi brewed from beans or peas or whatever and yeah that stuff is really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you can stand more than 1 (one) Asahi without it being ice-cold to the point you can't really taste it then congrats! You can save money by mixing some vodka with a handful of water out of the gutter; it will get you drunk, taste better, and be cheaper

Are they that bad? I remember finding a canned whisky mizuwari in a vending machine 10% alcohol that was predictably pretty terrible, but I figured the canned highballs at least had carbonated water and lemon to make them more palatable.

I do recall Yebisu being pretty great for a lager, but I tried it in Little Tokyo, LA. No idea if it's better in Japan. I read that Yebisu brews their beer according to strict German standards, so they're a cut above what you'd normally find in Asia.