Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

i think it's fine to talk about cultural differences and one's experiences with them. i do think it's important to incorporate some humility into those stories and not paint with too broad a brush, tho.

I think a lot of goons still have a bit of trauma from living and working overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Cat is Vietnam, Rabbit is China.

Japan is wild boar not pig

Central Asia it’s snow leopard not tiger

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I love raw beef raw horse raw fish.

How can I enjoy raw milk???

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Wtfffff

蔥油餅沒有雞蛋. No ducking eggs in a scallion pancake. Everything else is right.

And scallion pancakes better be made in a big pan so they can get a bit of extra surface area and have some fluffy air inside so you aren’t biting chewy dough all the time.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
There’s also 煎餅果子. Which is stuffed with a bunch of things inside like peanuts , julienned scallions, thin paste of doubanjiang, fried crispy dough 油條, a freshly cracked egg to make the waffle have that egg springiness, and some other stuff.

I’m not a northerner

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Ya pretty much

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Meat on wheat, I’ll eats it.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

bamhand posted:

The HK ruling was unanimous. Are those judges going to get invited to attend a special summer camp on the mainland where they will voluntarily decide that it's so great there that they will stay forever?

No need. NPSC reserves the right to issue an interpretation to protect national security and plug loopholes. Everything is working as intended.

HK is a free society with rule of law. Guys there’s free tickets flying in. So please come visit, and maybe fly from HK to japan as a side trip.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Truly learned from the best.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

If the Tang can have a female ruler I'm sure NK can as well.

loving genius 5 star

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
It’s actually easier said than done but don’t gently caress up your relationships. And if your spouse/friend or whatever is not happy living overseas and feels alone; then be a better human being and make sure everyone’s happy.

Especially with kids involved, Jesus ducking Christ

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Given the liquidation of the Ukraine thread, I'd not be surprised at all if this thread ends up next in the crosshairs for 'if you want to chat casually about China, GBS is not the place please take it to Tourism and Travel or to CSPAM :troll:'

I think it's time we all took a more fair and balanced view of the CCP, which is leading the charge to a multipolar world where the evil wizards of America are cast down, where you can kill your own people without being disrespected, and where even the minorities are allowed to do their little dances.

I know you are joking but wtf about the second paragraph

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

ili posted:

If you don't like that bit you can always just post about how the hk protests from umbrella movement onwards were clearly CIA ops and should've been crushed harder, or how Taiwan has always been under the domain of Beijing and Taiwanese independence is a myth spread by the CIA, or how Uighurs are actually treated really well and the concentration camps are a myth spread by the CIA and also the Uighurs are all terrorists who are in some way affiliated with the CIA so any mistreatment they get, which is none, is perfectly justified.

Holy ducking poo poo this is insane

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
i guess i have a hard time believing “help im somewhere within 3 hours driving distance of changsha” and literally not being able to pinpoint it more than that lol. on your 3rd visit to this place too. does the dude really have that little interest in the world around him that hes never bothered checking where hes been going all those times? it makes no sense at all to me

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Charcoal burning is a very fun Chinese experience. Just ignore the warning signs when you buy a bag of charcoal. Please close your windows and doors, and burn a bag of charcoal when you fall asleep! It helps you relax and sleep forever and is a very time honored tradition

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Him fearing his own life?

Man no wonder his wife is pissed off. Not only is he not fixing problems, his ineptitude is creating new ones.

Talk about marrying the wrong person. How loving emotionally stunted do you have to be?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

SerthVarnee posted:

I lost 7 people in 14 months in 2021-2022. I'm not adding my brother to that list if I can help it.
But past that point? Dude made his own choices and gets to live with his own consequences.

8 is a very good auspicious number in Chinese culture. Maybe 2023 can make #8 happen?

If your sister in laws and their kids stay in China forever and your brother “takes a rest” does that mean you are the sole beneficiary of his estate?

You can spend his life savings for his sake. Instead of an expensive rare wood coffin, card board boxes is the environmentally friendly option!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Atopian posted:

Late to the party, but some general info:

If you need to bail on China without documents, your best bet is to go west until you hit Kunming, then south until you hit Jinghong in Xishuangbanna, then switch to transport that doesn't need ID (small buses, taxis) until you get near the Laos border.
Then you need to find a way to follow the huge numbers of migrant workers who sneak across the border all the time. On the bright side, a lot less attention is paid to China->Laos travel than the reverse.
Once in Laos, no-one gives a poo poo about anything. Use Yuan or dollars or whatever to get to an embassy, or try to get into Thailand or something.
Obviously if you try to do that with children people are going to assume the worst though.

About house ownership:
It is legit difficult to get foreigners on the title of houses in China. Possible, sure, since I did it, but it involved me getting a notarised Chinese name and some other stuff that probably varies by region. In a happy marriage, nbd. In an unhappy marriage, don't buy a house in China. And either way, don't rely on it as an asset, because even without marital betrayal, hilarious things happen with property (markets) in China.

Sage advice

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Get a global roaming plan, that way he won’t need a vpn.

to be a rules stickler, foreign businesses or domestic need a license for a VPN, and VPNs can’t be used for regular web traffic.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah high school kids train themselves to wake up 4 hours earlier a few months ahead of the national exams

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Hey glad to see you are still alive and kicking in hk

https://youtu.be/4ohRP5d9CYI

I’m like your neighbor now lol

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
France breaks the trend because there’s state supported child rearing. Which gives parents not just an economic break, but rest. Since there’s already a paid care taker, why not have another kid?

Abundance of olds and their related social welfare do take money from other government expenditures but that’s a symptom not a cause.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

Please clarify if you in favor of macaroni salad or macaroni and cheese.

https://youtu.be/u4zw99VsoMA

Over 10 years??? And now Sara has a tricked out kitchen and YouTube channel!!!!!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

drat, some Korea hate in this thread. Is it really that bad to live for an extended period of time? My Company got some job openings there, and I considered it for a change of pace.

Looks like japan feels like China

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Least you get better food if you go to 東北. There’s actually variety and everything is not red all the time.

But good k goons :glomp:

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I’m hosed up for life. No one can help me

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Omg Beijing transfer was super clowny, I had an hour for transfer because my flight incoming was late an hour.

But the whole process is just everyone rushing you when there’s no need to rush. Yes hurry up and be nimble, but don’t panick for the sake of panicking. Gates never close on time in China. Uggghh

Oh well least I didn’t need to kill time in Beijing airport.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I’m gonna double down, Italian is like north east China of Europe.

Lots of half assing, eat carbs and drink booze all the time, crazy multi coloured fashion sense. Crazy about of cha bu duo and 小聰明. Especially their bureaucracy

But they talk forever like southern Chinese and love to eat good food.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Aiya not all mangoes are the same.

The Mexican and the Indian ones are different. And in the Philippines you have different varieties of mangoes.

Just like durian.

Or your Granny Smith apple is different from your fuji apples

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
It’s probably going to be ok?? But tepco is shady as gently caress, yes tritium released is within international organizational specifications, but are there other kinds meltdown contaminants released?

Being tepco, the first batch of water released will be handled properly but after a while once the issue fades from public oversight, who the gently caress knows tepco will do.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
The way tepco hired the cleanup crew was also another poo poo storm.

Excerpts from this article

quote:

https://www.corpwatch.org/article/tokyo-electric-power-company-admits-fukushima-failures

Even then the company flatly denied that the ground water that flooded the basements of the damaged reactor buildings has been leaking into the ocean, resulting in elevated levels of radioactive cesium and strontium that are dangerous to human health.

Last week the company acknowledged the groundwater contamination causing Shunichi Tanaka, the chair of the Japanese nuclear energy oversight body, to raise the danger rating of Fukushima from one to three on a zero to seven scale of the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (INES).

Government officials say that they are very unhappy with Tepco. "We've allowed Tokyo Electric to deal with the contaminated water situation on its own and they've essentially turned it into a game of 'Whack-a-Mole,'" Toshimitsu Motegi, the Japanese trade minister, told reporters earlier this week. "From now on, the government will move to the forefront."

And then tepco got freaking bailed out by the government to keep on running its operations.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I’m not happy with Tepco, and there’s definitely room for more accountability in terms of environmental regulation and nuclear power in China.

Nuclear power and renewables is the future instead of burning fossil fuels.

There’s a lot of progress made when it comes to cleaning up rivers and climate change is forcing cities and municipalities here deal with flood control. I’m actually quite impressed with the improvements made over the years considering the rest of the world outsourced their pollution here (and still kinda do).

Just let me drink tap water and ban more single used plastics

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Those coal plants will be putting more uranium into the environment than the Fukushima plant ever will.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Please stop using hydro carbons :( at least just use oil for fuel tankers and airplanes.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

I posted in the (understandably) dead China travel thread as well, but I'm going to be in Beijing in a couple weeks for the first time since 2019. Is anyone in this thread in China now? Is there any post-covid cultural stuff to be aware of? Did most of the businesses survive the lockdowns?

健康嗎 健康嗎

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

ronya posted:

An interesting development:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1697740882307330306

(compare, a decade ago:)

https://twitter.com/business/status/299714483729870848

There was some rumbling about this news for a while, but until recently it seemed like the golf course would wriggle through.

For those not familiar: to be clear, there's no nationalization as such going on in either city; the golf courses all sit on short lease land so the question of renewal eventually comes up. The case is more a test of the sway that old money and conservationists have on policy formation.

It’s not just golf course land though, there’s also some dilapidated seniors center which will get torn down. But the Royal Hong Kong Golf Club (yes royal because the crest is still inside the buildings but hidden) pays a symbolic $1 HKD per year.

Golf is the easy target because it’s a former colonial institution and the government doesn’t want to go after sketchy brownfield sites occupied by villager squatters.

But there’s another 9 hole golf course in the south HK island so the sport can still be around

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Worst capsule stay was in salaryman town Japan. Snoring? Sure. Rustling ? Sure.

2am I heard 3 pumps of lotion and a soft moan. God drat it

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
It’s just Lipton red tea with carnation branded evaporated milk

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

I just left Beijing yesterday. Everything pretty much felt the same as I remembered in 2019. The only problem was we had a kid since then and we kept having to go to family dinners followed by my FIL’s friends taking us out, so I didn’t really get to do anything I actually wanted to do, and two year olds are really not equipped to handle the 3 hour private room dinners. We also had to go to Yangzhou for a weekend to visit a friend of my FIL’s and I swear to god we had the same dinner of boiled goose, lions head meatball, puffer fish, sea cucumber soup three nights in a row and I was starting to hope that they didn’t clean the puffer fish right and it would just kill me. If I post here enough, can I get my visa revoked?

Too minor for China problems :( but have a good trip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

As this is sorta the pan Asia thread: mass shooting in Thailand less than a year after the kindergarten massacre that left 36 dead.

Suspect was 14 and apparently just up and stopped taking his meds, whatever those were. Kid walked into Siam Paragon, a major downtown shopping mall, and unloaded.

Two dead, four injured, but the numbers have been revised a few times and likely will continue to be.

He was taken alive.

For the record, guns are legal and readily available in Thailand.

2 dead Chinese tourists :(