Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Alan Smithee posted:

Let’s get a :wumao: emote up in here

What does :wumao: emoticon look like?

And of course we need a :shenyun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Chinese just need to kickstart a newspaper ad to insult the Danes back. Are they the people who have blackface parade or I am thinking somebody else?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think that's the Dutch, but all White people look alike.

It's perfect. Buy a full page ad to make fun of the Danes wearing black face, and basically piss off all the northern Europeans at the same time.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You think the Vienameses are bad, there are still some ( a few hundred) Taiwanese citizens who are still stuck in Wuhan because the taiwanese government put all of the Wuhan taiwanese on a blacklist and no Taiwanese airline can sell them tickets. There were 2 repatriation flights from Wuhan to TW but some Taiwanese didn't make it. Some of them are just students who went to Wuhan visiting grandparents or whatever during the Chinese new year.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Dp

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The beaver is going to cuck for the dragon, or the eagle.

I am sure this comic has been drawn already.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Meng is not done in the Canada legal systrm yet, so the 2 Canadians won't get their verdicts.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Meng should tough it up and do her time in the US. This has happened before. Except China will backup Meng unlike the French government. So when she return she will undoubtedly get the CEO chair as reward for her patriotic sacrifice to the motherland.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Get hype for June 4! Nation anthem bill to become law AND PS5 Events!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well Carrie Lam better pass the bill fuckers!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

BrassRoots posted:

Can't remember where I saw it but there was talk of offering UK citizenship to Hong kongers if the bill went through. That would be a great middle finger to the PRC.

Lol UK voted Brexit and Tories. It's not going to happen., although CCP would want that.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does the BNO extension give you right to work in UK or you have to jump through another loop to get the work visa?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Getting HKers move out of HK with dangling citizenship carrot which could be cancelled by the next PM Mister Rees-Mogg sound perfect for Beijing. China should give UK some free 5G equiptments.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Actually the Chinese don't have enough confirmed patient inside China to do phase 3 testing of the vaccine, so they are looking to work with another country to do the phase 3. I think they were testing 4 different vaccines so I don't know if the news I heard was for one of them.

I wouldn't trust any early vaccine personally. I am trying to lost 15 pounds before the lock down is over and build up my immure system. My wife is too lazy to do any exercise, so we will just get her a life insurance.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How do ypu get the truck out of the ditch once you get the cows back on the truck?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This food conversation actually made me go to Stevewhatever's channel and search for Indian MRE reviews, but he has not done any. What do the Indian eat when they fight the Chinese in the middle of nothing poo poo mountain?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I seem to remember spam become a local cuisine ingredient due to WW2 rationing. It could be Thailand or some other country.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Chengguan is basically "street vendors patrol", that's why they are so unpopular in China. They don't really do other awful stuff such as forced illegal building demolition etc.

Chengguan is type of city function that highlight the diFference between the Chinese culture and the Indian culture.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 10, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah my theory is Spam went upmarket after the internet made it a "thing".

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

I only tried it once that I know of and it was disgustingly sweet, because Korea.

Does Korea have unusually high diabete rate like China?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Koreans consume processed fine sugar like they consume Christanity...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Why did they start/stop suppressing them to begin with? Them not being 'modern' enough for the new china then them suddenly being a integral part of chinese identity?

They were suppressing them before Covid, post Covid they got new assignment to "develop 5 new street vendors each". This is not a joke either.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Magna Kaser posted:

For Shanghai anyway they were talking about relaxing rules on street vendors last year. Covid kinda jumpstarted everything.

Shanghai was probably the most strict on removing street vendors but you still saw a lot, normally kinda down less-traveled alleys and in the gates of xiaoqus. Locals like them so you'd someone coming to warn everyone when the chengguan would be coming by.

When I worked in Chengdu around my office building every morning would be tons of street vendors. I guess everyone had kind of an agreement cuz around 845 or 9am or so theyd all start packing up and running inside as the chengguan came by, at the same time every morning right AFTER the breakfast rush hour.

street food rules so im happy for this change.

In Guangzhou they have a I guess free for all night market on the yuexiu bridge before 7am(?). I can't remember whether it was for every night or weekend night only. People would bring insane things to sell, like literally 2 pairs of slightly used leather shoes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lnX4O2V

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 11, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Heinlein also purposed a big family solution with multiple husbands and wives and many children in Friday. You have to sign a contract to join the family.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
"The British Exchange"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I really not looking forward to the exodus. Moving out of neogaf was a mess. Resetera turned out to be a very inferior replacement of gaf.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
r/china is that way.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Alan Smithee posted:

and they are?

I was told B&R is a CSPAM offshore site but I haven't found any China thread on it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I would have created this fantasy suit from Aliexpress Pinduoduo selections.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is there any Aussie with "Michael" first name currently in China?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Someone mentioned the Canadian government forced the indigenous people learn English. Am I remember it correctly or it was actually the Aussie government?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

BrigadierSensible posted:

Unrelated to all this icky politics/war/genocide talk. (All three of those things are bad and wrong by the way.) I have a petty inconsequential China question.

Do the big Cantonese pop stars ever get crossover audiences with Mandarin pop stars? Or vice versa? Also are there pop stars that sing or release songs in local languages? How big do they get?

When I was in Fuzhou, a lot of my High School students loved Taiwanese pop stars. But surely given it's huge entertainment industry, there are HK pop stars also.

And reluctantly bringing it back to politics, how does the CCP like/deal with the fact that a great deal of it's young people are listening to potentially disharmonious non-patriotic songs from the rebellious island province?

The HK pop stars in the 90s were huge in mainland. Jackie Cheung Leon Andy Lau etc. Not so for newer pop stars. They just suck. All of them also release Manderin albums in Taiwan. It's really easy to learn Manderin for a Cantonese. Not the other way around but there were a handful of boy band type Taiwanese stars released Cantonese album.

The CCP has never been that properly communist. I don't know how long will it take for some of you to figure that out.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Wong Faye growth up in Beijing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

hakimashou posted:

yeah but she got popular in HK first didnt she

I am just saying she doesn't identify herself as a Hong Konger, although she speaks almost 100% fluent Cantonese. She is a very special case.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

oohhboy posted:

Small change in plan. The letter to the PM will be posted ahead as the open letter to the MPs will take too long to write to my satisfaction. To enhance the impact I will also send a copy to HKFP for consideration. The second scares me, but if I want it to matter. I call for final submissions for corrections, fact checking etc.

Is this for real? Are you from NZ?

You should ask the NZ government offer more refugee status to HK young radical students who are too poor to immigrate out of HK, not some unrealistic trade "sanction" a tiny country like NZ is in no position to execute. I don't remember ever reading NZ's name in any of the "Five Eyes countries trying to sanction China" news.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I have this weird nostalgia for a place I never got to visit and only saw through grainy youtube videos. I'm talking Hong Kong in the 1990s: red post boxes, John Woo movies, 747s making a tight turn to land at Kai Tak, pirate vcds everywhere, playstation modchips, the union jack. Ah well it's all gone now.

Prime Chow Yun Fat era and slightly later Prime Stephen Chow era were tits. Every HKer was hustling.

I still can quote most Stephen Chow movies like white nerds quoting Mighty Python.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I wish people stick with more descriptive term such as "Wumao" to refer to "CCP fans" instead of over used and meaningless word "tankie". You are grouping modern "Communism for 4chan white people" and wumao into the same word.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Interesting how Italy is the only "western civilization" country that didn't take part in all 3 votes. Spain took the side against China in the Uygher votes but not the HK vote (probably due to Catalonia), Russia took the China side in the Uygher votes but not the HK vote, this decision I don't get. I guess related to the 2 former Georgia provinces?

There are fare bit of change in votes in sub-Saharan Africa, I guess it was related to the current ruling parties?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
EU/Merkel is actually preparing to parlay with China if you follow the news.

I think this is what Merkel will purpose with Xi after the US election: you honor this and this and this human right bottomlines and we will stay out of the US/China fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Listen, maybe mainstream EU just want plausible deniability. For one thing, EU has to work very hard to stay intact post corona.