Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The women I've known who taught English in Korea pretty universally had good experiences salted with sexual harassment and stalking. Apparently if they were white and blonde then it was assumed that they were Russian sex workers, and fair game for any amount of abuse. To be fair, this sort of issue is pretty common for female travelers generally (also female not travelers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I only had stalkers in Japan, including a creeper in our guesthouse that stole all our bras and panties out of the laundry.

Yeah that's definitely a thing. One of my friends in Korea had a stalker who crept into her room at night to steal her underwear and watch her sleep, and then jumped out the window when she woke up and yelled at him. Traumatic, to say the least. But it's a global issue, I've got friends with sex pest horror stories from every continent but Antarctica (and I'd assume that McMurdo is not free of it either).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Rabe Radbury posted:

Seems like they could prevent US networks from covering the Olympics or at least make it punitively difficult.

The IOC records and distributes all the coverage of the event, rather than individual broadcasters. China could ban journalists from attending, which would reduce their ability to do interviews and stuff, but realistically I don't think that will happen since the entire point of this endeavor has been for China to show off how modern and successful they are.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I read these comments every now and then and wonder why I don't notice this kind of thing at all, but then I remember I actually use the ignore function because I'm not a coward. Just immediately ignore anyone who posts a single pro-imperialism (or whatever) thing and hey presto it's readable. There's plenty of sane posters ITT (in that thread).

I did this until I discovered that the ignore list has a maximum field value. :goon:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Yeah that's really cool and interesting. Thanks for sharing it. What are you planning on doing with the research?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Grape posted:

Greeks don't give a gently caress about Winter Olympics though so we will have a problem with that part.

Yeah that would be a tricky part. Apparently they have some decent skiing in Northern Greece, and a major ski resort in Parnassos, so that's something. But they only sent five competitors to the 2022 Olympics, and that's typical. The IOC could also host the Winter Olympics in one country, like France or Switzerland, and then host the Summer Olympics in Greece.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And his 'inexplicable' stomach troubles.

Oh hey my dad has that same mystery health issue. It's almost like no one is Irish enough to knock down a liter of cream every week.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I don't know about the amount of Chinese citizens in the Ukraine but did they not evacuate staff or citizens? What happens if one dies during the war? Is China gonna turn an eye to that?

I would think it's fairly safe to assume that China is quite willing to tolerate some accidental casualties in order to avoid offending Russia by ordering an evacuation. This invasion clearly furthers their goal of conquering Taiwan, so China is going to be pretty supportive of it. If there were significant losses they'd probably blame the Ukrainians and organize a Russian airlift. Realistically, staff and families sheltering in the embassy will probably be fairly safe.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 24, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

McGavin posted:

I dunno, China doesn't have the greatest track record of keeping its embassies safe during military actions.

Fair enough, and I certainly wouldn't bet on it. I'm thinking mostly from the perspective that the site probably won't be intentionally bombed or stormed by infantry. It may very well be damaged or even accidentally bombed like in Belgrade, but as long as it doesn't catch fire it would probably protect most of the people inside.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

BrainDance posted:

I get like that if I have one glass of red wine.

I turn bright red and feel kinda like I have an allergy, hot and itchy, I am not Asian and it happens with no other alcohol as far as I know so I always assumed it was something something sulfites or whatever.

The alcohol flush reaction can happen with people who aren't Asian, it's just an inherited trait that is very common amongst the East Asian in particular, as well as the Southeast Asian, Inuit, and Ashkenazi populations. And particular types of alcohols can trigger the response; I have a non-Asian friend who pops red with certain varieties of whiskey, for example. Antihistamines can actually alleviate some of the effects, so it would make sense that the symptoms may feel similar to allergies.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 2, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't found anything with wide comparison, but this is saying 40% in China compared to 5% in the US: https://www.livingstonintl.com/chinas-need-for-cold-chain-improvement/

E: Yeah I don't trust this website but I am bored of trying to find cold chain stuff that isn't about covid vaccines. I did see that the global food spoilage rate is around 1/3 of all crops grown so uh, not great as a planet.

I think you may have bumped into a terminology issue here. Generally Americans talk about food wastage, which is the overall loss of food products that don’t get eaten. The US tosses 40% of its food, often because no one wants to pay full price for it. Food spoilage is a smaller component of that and refers to food lost due to a failure in refrigeration, which is generally not an issue in the US (I think that even that 5% figure is pretty high, and probably includes all food shipments rejected by food buyers for any reason). If China is losing 40% of their food to spoilage, then their wastage rate would have to be well over 50%.

https://foodprint.org/issues/the-problem-of-food-waste/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I'd want to fly away from that poo poo too.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Baddog posted:

Ehh, you gotta have a locked case and declare it... "Hey, I got a gun in here!"

I don't know if that's even really even getting into what I would term an 'inconvenience'.

Checking a bag is the highest inconvenience.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Baddog posted:

And the high speed rail is ridiculously awesome , at least if you really comprehend just how much distance you are travelling.

Yeah the sensation of high-speed rail is an odd experience, because it feels like you’re barely moving but the scenery is a blur. The average aircraft is bumpier than a bullet train.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

In a related topic, some of the latest iPhone tech news was that Chinese censors have announced that they've broken the AirDrop encryption protocols and are predictably using that to crack down on folks using AirDrop to distribute political messages in urban areas.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Tai posted:

You're confused, this is how free speech works.

The authors of the tech articles I was reading had to do an awkward dance around the concept that the Chinese government refers to this as "responding to inappropriate messages", as if they're dealing with teenage dick pics, but what they actually mean is "cracking down on people who are less than glowing about the CCP, or use verboten words like Taiwan or Tibet".

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And in new "this is killing" news.

CCP stooges demand piano players stops filming in public in Britain because they were in the background.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/19ct231/ccp_demand_piano_player_in_a_public_place_stop/

Sounds like the story is really getting picked up. It's on the front-page of the Daily Mail's UK site, and spreading on plenty of less reactionary news orgs. The video is absolute shark bait for anyone critical of CCP influence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Cabal Ties posted:

Whilst you can make the argument that China should maybe doing more to clamp down on things like precursors to devastating drugs, this is the same country that happily enabled a vast bear bile farming industry despite there being a huge oversupply of something that isn’t proven to have any benefit.

You could easily see this being about purely not giving a poo poo.

My understanding is that China actually does clamp down on precursors quite emphatically ... in Chinese markets. They have no issue with those companies exporting these drugs (which aren't used for anything other than fentanyl) as long as they don't sell in China.

Reuters posted:

China continues to provide subsidies in the form of value-added tax rebates to its companies that manufacture fentanyl analogues, precursors and other synthetic narcotics, so long as they sell them outside of China, the House of Representatives' select committee on China said in a report. "The PRC (People's Republic of China) scheduled all fentanyl analogues as controlled substances in 2019, meaning that it currently subsidizes the export of drugs that are illegal under both U.S. and PRC law," the report said, adding that some of the substances "have no known legal use worldwide."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-committee-finds-china-is-subsidizing-american-fentanyl-crisis-2024-04-16/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Cactus Ghost posted:

are the tax rebates for selling fent overseas? cause it doesn't specifically say that, it just says the companies get tax breaks. which all pharma companies do

The Reuters article continues:

quote:

The report cited data from the Chinese government's State Taxation Administration website, which listed certain chemicals for rebates up to 13%. It additionally currently subsidizes two fentanyl precursors used by drug cartels - NPP and ANPP, it said.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I’m with you on a lot of that, but the average fentanyl user who ODs is 37. It’ll be a long time before old age makes an impact on consumer habits at large.

https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2020/08/06/alarming-spike-fentanyl-related-overdose-deaths-leads-officials-issue