Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I come from a long line of abattoir workers and butchers and the first time I saw someone taking a loving cleaver to a chicken in Asia was like being slapped in the face.

I couldn't believe this guy was just slamming the poo poo out of the meat with no regard for where the cuts were, just "no piece bigger than a child's fist to be left at the end" even when that mean wildly cleaving through the ribs and even the drumsticks.

EDIT: Here's an example of a careful Chinese cutting style, which still leave bits of bone everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3npEWPz0A&t=13s

Yeah I mean why wouldn't you cut through the drumsticks? Seems an odd thing to get upset about hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why would you? Especially multiple times.

Because it's a lot easier to pick up with chopsticks that way. I dunno what you lot are gunna complain about next, maybe we should be sure to coat chicken hearts in 11 secret herbs and spices before deep frying them too? Serve pigs ear with ranch dressing perhaps? Cheez wizz on the hainan chicken?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Seems like a weird no-man's land where people can say weird poo poo like anyone who objects to the invasion of Libya is a Qaddafi-apologist and anyone who confronts them on it would then be labeled instantly a CSPAM poo poo-stirrer. Conflict of interest, n'est pas? Like, the drat title is "The Tankie Who Cried Imperialism" over a thread title "I want to make a yard sale but i'm too lazy." Seems kinda bullshit to me! Why can't you guys just stick to what tourist sites to visit like normal people?

Lol.

Mr. Fix It posted:

just wanna get this on the record:

suck my whole dick and balls, genocide denying cspammers

:agreed:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Kharnifex posted:

Well, JAV makes up for Nanking

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol who the gently caress is aegis bear and what happened to their sense of humour and ability to read?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

You can't spell lmao without Mao.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Had a date with a lovely lady from Sichuan who earnestly told me Xi was bringing back the old culture of looking after family and community.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

H...how has he done that?

Is she happy he likes baozi, too? I had to hear about those loving baozi for years.

Dunno, she went off on a tangent about how honkies and taiwanese look down on or stereotype mainlanders for being poor and uncultured (true ime) when the deeper old chinese culture underlying the broader diaspora means that, from Taiwan to Malaysian chinese and everyone else, "we're all chinese".

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jeez I wish I'd known the U.S supported democracy in Hong Kong earlier. I'd never have agreed with basic human rights in that case!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Tnuctip posted:

Can’t we all just agree bone shards in food is bad?

Depends on how small and pointy we're talking here.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

You'd think by 359 pages youse blokes would have learned to eat properly hey.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The CSPAM genocide-denial derail is boring, I still want to understand what's the go with moaning about bones in your meat. Do you just absolutely hork your food down, double-fisting it like a seppo going to town on a big plate of nuggies? It's not hard to eat around the bones or to spit out the little bits.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Terminal autist posted:

So what radicalized everyone here?

When I found out the devious mainlanders stooped to cutting up drumsticks with cleavers. Nobody who does that could be even remotely trustworthy. Real countries do everything boneless so you can just inhale your food.

Either that or growing up with mostly taiwanese and honkie friends, with the Taiwanese living under threat of invasion while Hong Kong just slowly got worse and worse until we came to the situation now. While a few mainlanders I know couldn't even understand Taiwan is a different country.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Lmao whatever you do don't mention anything that might explain your perspective and background. China? Never even heard of 'er!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Marxism is anti-racist therefore disagreeing with marxists makes you racist. QED.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

That sucks there's a few good sichuan places around here. Loads of good uighur food too.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

McGavin posted:

My two food rules:
1. Everything is better without bone shards.
2. Beans are NOT a dessert. (Jellybeans are an exception.)

Bean based desserts are absolutely fantastic but.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Only thing that is worse for me is pig ear. That is vile.

How did this get through without further comment? Pig's ear is so so good, it's a super standard side dish in Taiwan at least.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I've no idea if these ads are pro or anti-china thread, but it's heartwarming to see that everyone from the normalest normal person to the tankiest cspam wanker knows that the somethingawful forums moderators are paedophiles.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Nothing says patriotism quite like participating in the wholesale destruction of your country's judicial and legislative systems so the authoritarian, unelected government of a larger neighbouring country can take over faster.

ili fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 19, 2021

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Question for the China thread re: fowl bone shards. What's the proper etiquette for eating a chunk of duck, roughly 4x "bite size", floating in a bowl of soup, that's like 60% bone by volume? Just hold it up with your chop sticks and daintily nibble the meat off of it? I think I'd need to spend a week at chopstick boot camp to manage that without dropping it 5 times.

For most people yeah you just hold it with your chopsticks and eat the meat off it, you can briefly hold the piece in your mouth while you reposition them too. If you're some giant weirdo though you just have a meltdown about bones in your meat, then probably storm off to hoover up a plate of tendies.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

:same: I think this idiot is confusing giant weirdos with reasonable people who don’t enjoy bone shards.

Don't get so wound up over it mate, my 9yo can't eat meat off the bone properly either. If you're lucky sometimes the restaurants have a kids menu so you can order nuggies instead of stressing :).

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol look at this dope who doesn’t understand how proper butchery works.

Lmao yeah the only way to consume chicken is processed into a fine pink goo, then crumbed and fried. No bones for babby.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Hope you get an esophageal perf from some clumsily cleavered chabuduo chicken.

Unlikely mate, I actually know how to eat instead of just horking it in with both hands, seppo-style.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Taiwanese pineapple cakes are the absolute duck's nuts. Love those crumbly tasty little bastards.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The korean dense glutinous (?) rice cake things you slice up and fry are real tasty. Can't remember the name of 'em but.

One of the very few worthwhile things from Korea.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

No these are sweet and come as a round cake you slice up and fry. They get all gooey in the middle of the slice.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Hotteok is completely different, those are made from wheat flour and cooked as a whole round thing. At least the ones I had are.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Apparently I was thinking of garaetteog gu-i, 가래떡 구이, which I'm told comes in a bunch of different shapes.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

McGavin posted:

Chinathread: I've just been resting at home and everything is fine.

Also hopefully she gets enough rest at home and doesn't need to stay in alternative accommodation for a lengthier recuperation. Although professional tennis can be a very exhausting occupation perhaps a state-sponsored education might lead her to a more harmonious career. I hear there are some excellent educational facilities up in xinjiang.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Not sure how meaningful that would be when all her family are still there.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Don't think I've ever seen orange chicken before. Is it fried chicken bits in a sticky orange juice sauce?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Might have to have a stab at making some.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

Holy poo poo that's my favourite story in a long time. This is truly the auspicious Chinathread.

Can't spell auspicious without CIA...

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah. But we don't have them in Australia. Or at least that I had found. So when I first went to Korea, they were magical wondrous things.

Wtf mate chocopies have been here for decades.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I like soondae guk and last time I was there the old village ladies were stewing thick thick slices of pork belly over a wooden fire then giving them to me with old kimchi and a shot of soju, that was pretty tasty with the acid in the kimchi working with the juicy fatty pork. But korean food every day wears thin pretty quick.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I could go for some sundae right about now actually hey

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Mugsbaloney posted:

Just checking that when people lament authoritarian surveillance in China itt, they are doing so from a position of familiarity and understanding with respect to what is happening in the west, right?

No, the CIA only employs us to notice what the almighty and avowedly communist government of China is doing.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

porfiria posted:

Is thread pro china or anti china? I feel like xie is the only even vaguely possible solution to climate induced human extinction?

Lol.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I guess Koreans must be more evolved to have invented underfloor heating as well as a million other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Love the korean spoons but gently caress the chopsticks they're really unpleasant to use. The honkers I know use the round metal ones which aren't as bad as korean ones but still less pleasant to use than proper wood or melamine ones. Using your spoon for rice is p much cheating too.

Also having a lol at how massive a meltdown some of the sad weirdos who whine about bones in their food would have if they were given bone chopsticks to use.