Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Baronjutter posted:

I'm constantly caught off guard by how limited the range of "normal" food is to a large chunk of americans. Like loving lamb is a weird exotic foreign food to many. Lamb?? No thanks I don't eat ethnic food.
Also, is it common for people having their minds blown when served whole fish, head on? I encountered people who were weirded out by it in loving Seattle of all places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Just wanna say that this is the loving realest.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

BrassRoots posted:

Its crazy how chinese and western culture evolved to the same conclusion from different starting points
China and the US are in fact in a race. Nobody seems to realize they're running at each other.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Fojar38 posted:

The CCP's ability to make the wrong decision in every single scenario is actually impressive
The CCP wants to rule a world it refuses to understand.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

ded posted:

Keeping America Great.

What is with this jackass and Sharpies?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Mistle posted:

I'm inclined to believe that TCM originates in folk remedies, but they never tried to figure out why the folk remedies worked, and instead relied of hearsay, appeal of authority, and bolstering the claims through placebo effect and confirmation bias.

Entirely possible the tree bark was willow tree, which is known to have pain relieving effects. The problem for TCM is the true/false absolutes: part of it is bunk, part of it is real, but China will never separate the two from each other. Equally, dismissing all of it whole denies insights which science has proven accurate, but then that evidence is generalized into all of it being right.

I think the larger part of it is that if they were to systematically analyze TCM ingredients, the catalog of effective ingredients would drastically shrink. That would mean losing a lot of useless but incredibly profitable products, and we can't have that.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

CIGNX posted:

We're just over 3 months past what happened here. Unless there's been a dramatic change in governance, the political system of China in January is most likely the same one we see today. The central government has only so many people it can spread around to breath down the necks of local officials and watch over them. It's not exactly a stretch to think these local officials would go back to making poo poo up to get the higher ups off their backs once there is less pressure. This isn't proof positive that the Chinese government is lying about their numbers, but rather a warning that the Chinese government lies to itself.

In essence, 山高皇帝远

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Jeez, they're saying all these untrue things about treacherous foreigners. It's like some kind of myth, where foreigners are stabbing China in the back. :v:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Booty Pageant posted:

rolled up counterfeit polo shirts with exposed belly is the offical wear of the chinese nationalist

Proud Boys, 50 Cent Army, Beijing Buzzcut Brigade... man, these new Warhammer 40K chapter names are poo poo.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

WarpedNaba posted:

To a certain point. After all, America left the 50s.
More that the civil rights and women's lib movements dragged America kicking and screaming halfway out of the 50's.

That... sort of happened in Asia, but it didn't really stick? I mean, people nowadays realize that colorism and patriarchy are real problems, but they're still basic facts of life?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Kharnifex posted:

Just wait till Africans realise that eating Chinese is the cure to corona virus
Muti versus TCM: No matter who wins, we all lose.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I would assume incompetence/neglect over malice.

Because what does China gain by sending inferior botched poo poo as aid? Especially as that aid has big "This is from China! Look how good we are!" written on the boxes and written large in publicity. They can only lose by sending the shoddy equipment. And indeed have lost a fucktonne of face, and trust and confidence in the eyes of the global community.

That's why I assume it is due to lazy, corrupt and incompetent factory workers/managers/practices rather than a malicious "Haha take that foreigners, you get poo poo, and only two boxes of it. Suck it."

On that: do you think the Chinese offiocials/embassy staff in Syria that went to greet the plane full of medical supplies to get a photo op knew that it would only be two little boxes? Coz if so, why agree to take that humiliating photo?

From China's POV, there was neither incompetence nor malice, because:

1. China sent out aid, which gains China face. Period. The quality of the aid does not matter, only the appearance/pageantry of giving aid.
2. China did not lose face from the poor quality of aid. Rather, the other countries lost face for such blatant ingratitude.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Blistex posted:

The next year Gong Li was stopped on the red carpet for Miami Vice, and (it might have even been the same lady) the exact same thing happened. "We're here with Lie Gon-Ga. . . " I'm pretty sure she visibly scowled at the lady.

My 'favorite' part when this happens is extra syllables and sounds materializing out of nowhere. It's like they're merging their attempted pronunciation with an 'Asian' accent and frantically mashing 'Submit'.

Supplemental material: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1RKkRCiU90

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

The White Dragon posted:

sir this is the china thread
Korea invented China, so it's OK.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

screamin and creamin posted:

Many products need decent software and maintenance/support. That's not so easy to fake.
What are you talking about? I made a thing and you bought it. Our business has finished, so why should I spend money helping you use the thing and keeping it working? What a stupid idea, no wonder foreigners are so bad at business.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

screamin and creamin posted:

Right, but next time the foreigner will buy from a company that has some kind of support.
Next time? Why are you thinking about money that you don't have yet? I have the money from the transaction NOW. Look, I know you have many bad foreigner ideas about business, so let me explain how to do business correctly:

- You need to make as many Things as you can in the shortest time. That way, you can sell and ship more Things.
- Quality control is a big dumb roadblock that stops you from making and shipping more Things. Short circuit it anytime you can.
- Taking less money now so you can maybe get more money later is dumb, dumb, dumb. Get as much money as you can NOW.
- On the same subject, don't waste money on R&D, wait for some dummy to waste money on it and take their poo poo. Easy.
- Sometimes customers will complain that the Thing that you made isn't 'to spec' or some nonsense like that. Wrong! They wanted a Thing, you made a Thing, now you need to get paid. End of story.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think my first post on this site is there.

gently caress I’m old.

OLD MEN.

ARE THE FUTURE.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Kharnifex posted:

Chabuduo mart is cheaper
Ash is deeply familiar with chabuduo. Dude half-assed the Necronomicon safety incantation and hosed up his sleeping potion dosage in the director's cut.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 13, 2020

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

BrainDance posted:

i wanna give them a wedgie

Gimme your means of production, NERD!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
LOL, look at this old-school Russian style poo poo. Make the laws vague and loosely enforced, and then you have the pretense to haul in anyone you please.

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's the CCP-est of things that the rules say you will be punished for "picking quarrells, and disrupting public order", but not for promoting/selling quackery that has little to no medical benefit and much provable harm. revenue.
Just fine-tuned those Chinese characteristics for you, nbd.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The anti-black and anti-hispanic racism is more mystifying and arbitrary to me. I have seen Han people online talk about Mexicans "polluting" white America and that poo poo just makes my head spin.
It's not arbitrary at all because lovely colorism is like the background radiation of Asia. China, Korea, and Japan basically view all SE Asians as their Mexicans and treat us accordingly.

Han Chinese bemoaning Mexican immigration into white countries makes perfect sense because they are basically Asian WASPs. It only took me a couple months into my time in Dongguan to realize, "Ohhhh, the white people are palette swapped here."

I joked in previous Chinathreads that mainland Han Chinese are White People 2.0, but it bums me out sometimes how well it's tracking. :(

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Shumagorath posted:

If you view Trump as someone who never got enough attention from dad and continues to seek it to this day, things make a tiny bit more sense.
The two-part episode The Dollop did about him is a solid cataloging of the many ways Fred Trump broke Donald's brain and filled it with racist brainworms.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

The junk collector posted:

It's like they somehow inherited copied all the bad parts of western academic institutions and then turned it up to 11 before adding their own brand of problems on top.
modern_china.txt

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Jeoh posted:

i thought falun gong members were more worried about exfiltration
Of their organs, yes :v:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

snergle posted:

whats that word where you stand around gawking in a huge group at something uninteresting?
看热闹, kan4 re4 nao4

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
serpentza was an entertaining watch because of the increasingly strenuous gymnastics he had to do to dance around hot-button subjects. When he touched on one of those subjects, there would always be this torrent of qualifying statements to get the wumaos of his back (not that it stopped them from trying to hassle him anyway, chuds are chuds, regardless of country).

Watching the dam crack and eventually break was also entertaining.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

MyronMulch posted:

A western diplomat's staff would have figured out well in advance that such a thing was being proposed, and would launch into a bunch of negotiations ahead of time to work out how to stage a ceremony that would make everyone either equally happy or equally unhappy -- you know, DIPLOMACY.

oohhboy posted:

Why the gently caress would you do that? I say it again, it's like their state department is run by wilfully ignorant fresh off the UFO aliens.

Not So Fast posted:

It feels like they don't actually give a crap, because the media at home won't report on it anyway and that's who matters.
The CCP wants to rule a world it refuses to understand.

That's what I usually say, but I think I should update it to "The CCP wants to collect tribute from a world it refuses to understand," because it really looks like the CCP doesn't even want the token administrative responsibilities of a colonial power. It feels like they just want the old medieval vassal state setup they enjoyed during their 5000 years of history.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Flannelette posted:

According to the ones I talked to who left: Oh it's fine as long as you are 45-50kg 160cm+ with pale skin and a certain facial structure or rich.
What's the 'leftover woman' age threshold nowadays?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

hakimashou posted:

Lol

this is the guy's apartment building

in which he claims to have kept

645,132,000.00 United States Dollars

worth of stamps and mao zedong calligraphy
Oh man, I hope it turns out to be some ridiculous multi-layered fraud attempt. I miss clown-car con job stories like that from the Mainland.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

The White Dragon posted:

what happens when it turns out that half the smokers are women
"Women hold up half the tumors" doesn't have the same ring, really.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Collateral Damage posted:

Look at the flowers.
We've let a hundred of them bloom!

...in order for our petal recognition AI to pick targets for our weed whacker squads.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Jeoh posted:

the more you hear food is good for healthy GOOD FOR MAN, the worse it's gonna taste
Just gonna update this with the most common variant.

Devils Affricate posted:

And for what it's worth, this crap doesn't even taste good. It's magical thinking from top to bottom.
In some instances, it doesn't taste AT ALL. Shark fin soup gets all the flavor from the broth and crab meat. Same with bird spit nest.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Julius CSAR posted:

I have no dog in the lantino/latinx fight except I dunno if I should pronounce the latter as Latin-x or latinks
I figured "Latin-x" because 1, it sounds like a superhero team, and 2, you can rhyme it with 'sex'.

"Chin-x" on the other hand, sounds like a repellent you spread around your back yard.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
State media's been ramping up to this 'blame dirty foreigns' strat for a while, haven't they? Are they going full time with this line now?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Noblesse Obliged posted:

That dust already gone up someone’s nose sorry nerds
Of course it has, surely dust from the celestial realm would be the most potent TCM of all?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I think it's clearly a stupid pun and not a racist joke but people are getting mad, there are memes being shared on Chinese social media with cops kneeling on George Floyd and the caption "what kind of knees are these?"
Yeah, responding to a puerile schoolyard rhyme with pictures of a black man getting murdered is pretty on-brand for wumaos.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Blistex posted:

Who was the guy running things before Xi?
*sigh* ok fine, but just this once.

Hu was the guy in charge.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

MrMoo posted:

The answer has been found, it is mayo.

Hmm, greasy slice of pork, big dollop of mayo, inexplicably sweet? That's a standard issue bakery item, so par for the course, imo.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Porfiriato posted:

Beijing is absolutely not trying to turn itself into Shanghai, a city with at least a bit of character and humanity. The goal of Beijing’s leadership is to turn it into a safe, bland, sterile, charmless city that satisfies the central government’s obsession with order and control.
So, Singapore is still the gold standard for the CCP? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
If you pan a little to the left, there's a Vietnamese soldier Calvin pissing on them.