Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

some authors had big space opera ideas, but could only get them published as obscure ancillary matter for the Star Wars RPG by West End Games. they carved out a buncha wack-rear end tiny corners of obscure Star Wloar (starwars lore, my own coinage!!) and made WEG Star Wars one of the strangest bits of the licensed starwars universe

meet the gree, floppy-brained squidlike aliens who forgot how their music-controlled godlike supertechnology works

im gonna post the gree article from SWAJ 8 in two or three sections, to encourage discussion!! here is the first part, a general intro to the gree & what their deal is, plus the basics of their tentacles society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Clone Commander Gree Lego Minifigure

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hmm... i find this thread agreeable.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dash Rendar posted:

hmm... i find this thread agreeable.

tyvm

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

wait

you are punning me!!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the gree only existed in WEG star wars to give a reason to delve through space dungeons for space treasure. the only time they've ever had any outsized role in any other licensed star wars thing is in the old republic, an MMO where the gree mostly exist as an excuse to delve through space dungeons for space treasure

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

the gree only existed in WEG star wars to give a reason to delve through space dungeons for space treasure. the only time they've ever had any outsized role in any other licensed star wars thing is in the old republic, an MMO where the gree mostly exist as an excuse to delve through space dungeons for space treasure

eeeh im not sure that's fair. admittedly, the article sections ive posted thus far make that a fair assessment—but on the whole, they seem more of just another weird space opera idea. there arent nearly as many hooks for dungeon delving as there are for getting in over yr head in a strange alien culture, whose territory has some unusual choke pts to limit players’ ability to just hop into a spaceship and ditch

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
Great thread. Used to spend hours reading tabletop source books. Post more of this nerdy stuff.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

in this installment—the infodump that is gree technology, and the monumental mysteries of the hypergates!! plus an intro to gree space, highlighting another ancient wonder: the city-ship rokak’k baran!!!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this lore is getting a bit egreegious, imo

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Squizzle posted:

eeeh im not sure that's fair. admittedly, the article sections ive posted thus far make that a fair assessment—but on the whole, they seem more of just another weird space opera idea. there arent nearly as many hooks for dungeon delving as there are for getting in over yr head in a strange alien culture, whose territory has some unusual choke pts to limit players’ ability to just hop into a spaceship and ditch

i wasn't basing it on what you posted, really, just my own read of the books way back when. gree don't build literal dungeons but they're space wizards who leave space magic items laying around in adventure-friendly areas for heroes to go and seek out and loot

likewise in TOR, they don't build actual dungeons, they just build the things you go into the dungeons to get

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
Star Wars Octopi wielding Federation replicators. Feed this junk into my veins. If I had these books in my house my weekend would be consumed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i wish had these books. i am green with envy!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Star Wars Octopi wielding Federation replicators. Feed this junk into my veins. If I had these books in my house my weekend would be consumed.

and remember, their technology is operated by musical instruments designed for their particular limbs

they can build anything using tentacle jizz

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dash Rendar posted:

this lore is getting a bit egreegious, imo

Dash Rendar posted:

i wish had these books. i am green with envy!

<:mad:>

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i hadn't heard about the gree before i played the old republic and i felt like they really stuck out in my lasersword game. guess i know why now!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

genuinely shocked that these tentacled goobers showed up anywhere but WEG star wars

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Squizzle posted:

genuinely shocked that these tentacled goobers showed up anywhere but WEG star wars

TOR is its own real weird thing

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

i didnt think they were that greevous :shrug:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

this time, three gree worlds!! thrill to the trading posts and grand hypergate of asation—the botanical wonders of lonatro—and the mysteries of the gree motherland!!!

next time: the final three worlds!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

gotta cop to that adventure prompt being a bullshit treasure hunt thru a perilous d&d-scape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

OUR FINAL INSTALLMENT!!

dare you investigate the ancient monumental wonders of MALANOSE, and the life-restoring waters of the lotos pool??

what about the treasure-houses of hiddenTE HASA, and the priesthood that guards them??

or do you risk slavery and exile on the degenerated world of LICHA IN??

adventure awaits!!!

Tell Us What You Think!