Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Make OP do the taco bell Burrito Gauntlet. It'll be like the KOTH smoking episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

There has to be good Latin food in Toronto are you kidding.

gently caress my rear end

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

TheAardvark posted:

Make OP do the taco bell Burrito Gauntlet. It'll be like the KOTH smoking episode.

If this happens I will donate the full price of the burrito gauntlet to the forums and post proof.

(To be clear, I require proof that the OP attempted the gauntlet)

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I love to have violent diaohhrea. Love ripping rear end and feeling sick, OP.

Zealander
Aug 3, 2006
Ok, just looked up "Burrito Gauntlet".
Can we keep it within bounds of food?

Do you like saurkraut?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Zealander posted:

Ok, just looked up "Burrito Gauntlet".
Can we keep it within bounds of food?

Do you like saurkraut?

Look at the Taco Bell thread for the burrito gauntlet.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902985

Zealander
Aug 3, 2006
No I will not look at Taco Bell thread. You are discussing!

Anybody here tried borsht soup?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Shameful OP itt :frogdunce:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Love a good spicy curry and some naan.

Wish it wasn't $10 minimum at every place though.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My one experience with Indian food was in lovely Ocala, FL and I ended up nursing off a bottle of Pepto Bismol the rest of the day after a chicken tikka masala lunch. I need to try it from a non-backwoods place.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Chomp8645 posted:

My family lived in Southern California for most of my childhood, but due to my dad's work we spent three years in Ohio when I was middle school. We were not near a major city. We went to try one of the local Mexican restaurants. We noticed a lot of the menu items specified "ground beef" but tried to order our dishes with carne asada. The waiter seemed slightly embarrassed and explained that when they first opened, they offered a choice between carne asada and ground beef. But the people in our area (VERY white midwestern type folks) so overwhelmingly ordered ground beef that it stopped making sense to prepare the carne asada, and they eventually just stopped doing so.

I think that was the only time in the entire three years we lived there that we ate non-fast food Mexican unless we made it ourselves.

Can confirm, Mexican in Ohio is garbage. But Indian in Ohio is best I've had yet and I'm from East coast

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

skooma512 posted:

$10 is lowest I've seen. If you actually cost out the items and prep time, let alone the spices, that's actually a very non-gougy profit for the restaurant. You can't actually just whip up Indian food.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

It's kinda weird cause food is p cheap in america but if your rear end so much as touches a seat you're gonna have to pay like 10 bucks for a single meal regardless of where you go. That's why nowadays I really only eat out of it's an occasion or if it's food I wouldn't/couldn't make at home. This means I don't get much indian or mexican food out cause the difference between making it yourself (and honestly a lot of it isn't that hard) and paying out the butt for it is too much to justify.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why are there like 15 different Mexican dishes that are pretty much all identical fillings inside slightly different flat bread configurations?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why are there like 15 different Mexican dishes that are pretty much all identical fillings inside slightly different flat bread configurations?

They're all good.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm eating butter chicken right now! I always need to order it extra spicy and then note "yes, trust me" or they won't do it.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

ArbitraryC posted:

It's kinda weird cause food is p cheap in america but if your rear end so much as touches a seat you're gonna have to pay like 10 bucks for a single meal regardless of where you go. That's why nowadays I really only eat out of it's an occasion or if it's food I wouldn't/couldn't make at home. This means I don't get much indian or mexican food out cause the difference between making it yourself (and honestly a lot of it isn't that hard) and paying out the butt for it is too much to justify.

Mexican is easy but making Indian food is a huge pain in the rear end with lots of ingredients that are only used in Indian food

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Ordered Indian food for dinner. Thanks OP!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

fishing with the fam posted:

Ordered Indian food for dinner. Thanks OP!

What are you getting?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Because that's the ingredients the restaurants have on hand?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Mexican is easy but making Indian food is a huge pain in the rear end with lots of ingredients that are only used in Indian food

Are you just talking about garam masala? Because you can buy that as a blend

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I wouldn't have said you were racist after your OP, but the more you talk about just wanting "European" food and demonstrate that you have probably never been in a taqueria or eaten from a taco truck, I'm starting to wonder

Zealander
Aug 3, 2006

xtal posted:

I'm eating butter chicken right now! I always need to order it extra spicy and then note "yes, trust me" or they won't do it.

Yep, same here. Amazing. I'll go to the place tomorrow and plunge my face into chicken curry pot. It's buffet time.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

xtal posted:

Are you just talking about garam masala? Because you can buy that as a blend

tumeric
star anise
cardamom
asafoetida
kaffir lime leaves

just off the top of my head here

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Honky Dong Country posted:

What are you getting?

Got chicken Tikka masala from a place I haven't tried before. It was good! Too much dipping sauce for the naan though. Kinda wasteful.

Zealander
Aug 3, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I wouldn't have said you were racist after your OP, but the more you talk about just wanting "European" food and demonstrate that you have probably never been in a taqueria or eaten from a taco truck, I'm starting to wonder

I've been to San Francisco and there are street foods where they fry hot dogs and peppers and onions and stuff on a pan, that was pretty good.
It's just overall, tacos? burritos? I dunno. Maybe I'm too European, but I like sushi and sashimi.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
nm

xtal fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 31, 2020

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

This thread is making me hungry, I think I'll pick up some saag paneer and garlic naan

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I had some chicken tikka masala from Masala yesterday and the onion bhajis were almost burned and the naan was stale.

Still 8/10.

Griz
May 21, 2001

interwhat posted:

$10 is lowest I've seen. If you actually cost out the items and prep time, let alone the spices, that's actually a very non-gougy profit for the restaurant. You can't actually just whip up Indian food.

I have a pressure cooker and it only takes like 45 minutes to make a batch of curry.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
want some spicy chicken saag and fresh naan right now :(

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Zealander posted:

Maybe I'm too European,

what does this even mean

also, saag with whatever you want in it is the best

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I have a friend that went to college in Canada and he was once served a burrito that had ketchup in it. He's from San Diego.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
i am indian

growing up, i used to be jealous of people that would get a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch and my mom would pack fuckin homemade roti and dhal

sorry mom

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Indian food in general is loving amazing but its a bloody broad range of food. There are so many different styles, just saying "Indian food" doesnt do it service. In saying that I loving love Indian food

Dosa and goat stews (different dishes)are the loving bomb

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zealander posted:

Canada.
I just don't like assembled food, beans, guacamole. Dried beef in corn chips.
No taste, like eating paper.
Taco salad? Lettuce is the best part of that.

Is there anything else?

Assembled food?

Like do you think saag paneer just comes out of the ground that way?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Indian food is so gosh dang good that you can have a person who is not in any way vegetarian sit down and have a big rear end complete meal with zero meat in it and they'll love it.

That's how good it is.

I'm that guy.

And I love Indian food!
Chaat me up.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

TheAardvark posted:

How is there not a fast casual or truly fast food Indian chain nation wide yet? Are there any regional ones?

There’s a fast casual Indian place in DC that’s taking off. They do a naan burrito and it’s :discourse:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bird with big dick posted:

Assembled food?

Like do you think saag paneer just comes out of the ground that way?

The op is very, very unusual. They also posted a weird thread in QCS about making duplicate threads :confused:

Op I want to know more about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My favourite Indian food is one that you seldom see in Indian Restaurants outside of India.

Rassam.

And the best way to eat it is to have the rice drowning in the Rassam, and then throw in some plain potato crisps.

Sambar is also good, as is Mysore Masala Dosa.

Also Gulab Jamun is the literal food of the gods, and this is a hill I WILL die on. (probably of a coronary, due to all the oil and sugar in my yummy yummy Jamun.)