Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

Crayfish posted:

She doesn't seem that bad really. It's like you intentionally picked one of the shittest examples of a terrible British boomer https://twitter.com/BonMuss/status/1267800786584637445
what a monster

next time I'm taking your right hand too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Oh my god this island is collectively mentally deranged.

it’s had it, completely spun out of control and it’s going to get even worse as people get older and collect even more lewy bodies in their atrophied noggins

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
time to take back the hashtag #IndyWales and use it as a way to declare that the English are casting off the oppressive yoke of their Welsh overlords

twoday has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Feb 26, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
older ladies who have profile pictures of themselves holding something alcoholic are game for a good laugh imo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

This isn't a boomer thing, Wed/Sun shop closing was common in NI upto the 90s.
gently caress, most shops closed on Sundays until the mid-late 00s, until big supermarkets forced them to open to compete.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

happyhippy posted:

This isn't a boomer thing, Wed/Sun shop closing was common in NI upto the 90s.
gently caress, most shops closed on Sundays until the mid-late 00s, until big supermarkets forced them to open to compete.

i found out a few years back that everything still shuts on a sunday in germany, so i had a weird sensation of “i know this should feel unusual for me but why does it actually feel normal” until i realised that i was remembering what life was like in the 90’s

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN [insert deranged poo poo here]

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Germany is weirdly backwards like that. Plenty of places that only accept cash too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Germany is weirdly backwards like that. Plenty of places that only accept cash too.

Probably also prevents charge backs, which I had no idea people do extremely often.

twoday
May 4, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN [insert deranged poo poo here]

oh vera, vera

what has become of you

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

back when the passports were Blue, the shops closed on Sundays, the money was Traditional, and the sizes were Imperial

time to brexit

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

spankmeister posted:

netherlands is also wonky with cards, visa and mastercard don’t work lol, which is funny because now it’s the centre of european finance again lots of confused visitors are going to think oh god what a dump we left london for this?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Almost none of the cash machines in Amsterdam are operational right now because there were 70 ATM bombing-robberies in 2019 and they decided to close the rest until they developed bomb-proof ones (which was delayed due to COVID)

I read in the news the other day that they have developed and soon will be testing a new type of deposit-ATM where it will no longer be possible to insert explosives that might kill the the next client, but it's been more or less impossible to pin for cash for the past year

Welcome to the new heart of European finance :getin:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RandomBritNews/status/1365268978810109952?s=20

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

spankmeister posted:

Apparently most of them also accept the weird German only version of a debit card. They just really really hate credit cards for weird German cheapdad reasons of "it costs 45 eurocents more" and "promotes immoral spending of money people don't have". It's just that weird German low fee debit card federated with nothing so non residents have to pay all cash.

When I went to Ireland after like 3 years of business trips to Munich, it took me like 3 day to convince myself it wasn't an elaborate trick that everyone was fine with credit cards and also smiling at me.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I've had issues before where my UK debit card transformed into a credit card in some EU counties or something???

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

gonadic io posted:

I've had issues before where my UK debit card transformed into a credit card in some EU counties or something???

I had that with my Egyptian bank debit card. It transformed into a credit card in the UK (or, to be more precise, the rules UK POS machines etc applied to it were credit card rules so eg no cashback at the supermarket.)

When I lived in Germany (1970s), shops closed fully on Sundays and half day on Saturdays except for one Saturday a month 'langstam Samstag' (I might have misremembered 'langstam'.)

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Germany is weirdly backwards like that.
this is good actually, having everything closed on Sunday is nice, everyone has a day off. and going one further no one does DYI either, so Sunday is a for real rest day for everyone. chill and good.

twoday posted:

lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
this is why I only carry traveler's checks when I am away from home

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Trashman posted:

this is good actually, having everything closed on Sunday is nice, everyone has a day off. and going one further no one does DYI either, so Sunday is a for real rest day for everyone. chill and good.
lol

You weren't allowed to use lawnmowers (well ones with motors anyway), hang out washing on Sundays either! I don't know if those rules still apply.

bedpan posted:

this is why I only carry traveler's checks when I am away from home

Do those still exist?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

mrmcd posted:

Apparently most of them also accept the weird German only version of a debit card. They just really really hate credit cards for weird German cheapdad reasons of "it costs 45 eurocents more" and "promotes immoral spending of money people don't have". It's just that weird German low fee debit card federated with nothing so non residents have to pay all cash.

When I went to Ireland after like 3 years of business trips to Munich, it took me like 3 day to convince myself it wasn't an elaborate trick that everyone was fine with credit cards and also smiling at me.

A German friend of mine tells me this is leftover cultural damage from '20s hyperinflation. He called it being a "debt sinner". Germans in general hate being in debt I guess and will go to great lengths to avoid it.

I thought that was farfetched until I remembered how weird my Dad was about holding onto material goods and not wasting food - his dad grew up in poverty during the Depression and that left a lasting mark even after he found his way to a comfortable life.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo shops closed on sundays is better

means people don't have to work sundays, i.e. most people can expect to have one day off along with most other people

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

imo shops closed on sundays is better

means people don't have to work sundays, i.e. most people can expect to have one day off along with most other people

the incredulity that people have toward the idea now is a sad example of how capitalism has uprooted the very basic rhythms of life and convinced everyone it's better this way

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gonadic io posted:

This happened to me when I worked at Disney. Our pay was deposited into my account at the Disney-owned bank, and I had a debit card that turned into a credit card upon return to Norway. I withdrew about $2,700 before someone on the other end figured out something was wrong. Good times.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Welsh Apartheid must be condemned.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Welsh Apartheid must be condemned.

why else would you be legally allowed to shoot a welshman with a longbow at midday from the clock tower, if not for their hideous crimes such as "speaking their own language"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's true that speaking welsh should be a crime, but not necessarily a capital one.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jazerus posted:

why else would you be legally allowed to shoot a welshman with a longbow at midday from the clock tower, if not for their hideous crimes such as "speaking their own language"

the welshman is also allowed to shoot you, and he's a better shot

he'll do it while singing some blasted psalm too, the monster

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the british government are and have for the most part alwayd been darwinists first and foremost, so odds are they want you, personally, to die or get castrated

the welsh are mere tools in this game

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's true that speaking welsh should be a crime, but not necessarily a capital one.

otoh

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I have to apologize to the thread, I got Wales and Israel confused again. Sorry about that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Atrocious Joe posted:

I have to apologize to the thread, I got Wales and Israel confused again. Sorry about that.
Understandable. Perhaps you recalled this map I made six years ago:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

netherlands is also wonky with cards, visa and mastercard don’t work lol, which is funny because now it’s the centre of european finance again lots of confused visitors are going to think oh god what a dump we left london for this?

Yeah that's true, for Europeans is nbd because we all use debit cards (Maestro or V-Pay) and those work just about anywhere. (Except some places in Belgium, fuckers). This situation is improving though, Mastercard and Visa are accepted more and more.

twoday posted:

Almost none of the cash machines in Amsterdam are operational right now because there were 70 ATM bombing-robberies in 2019 and they decided to close the rest until they developed bomb-proof ones (which was delayed due to COVID)

I read in the news the other day that they have developed and soon will be testing a new type of deposit-ATM where it will no longer be possible to insert explosives that might kill the the next client, but it's been more or less impossible to pin for cash for the past year

Yeah this sucks but tbh I don't really need cash anymore, with contactless payments everywhere. I suppose it's not a huge deal for the city either because tourism is way down. Like I think I only really need cash for buying non-weed drugs.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Having a Brexit related side lol that EU countries are refusing the Oxford vaccine because Macron wanted to win some home points by going on a weird xenophobic rant about the English and now they all have massive stockpiles of the vaccine going rancid in a warehouse.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dravs posted:

Having a Brexit related side lol that EU countries are refusing the Oxford vaccine because Macron wanted to win some home points by going on a weird xenophobic rant about the English and now they all have massive stockpiles of the vaccine going rancid in a warehouse.

This sounds like a load of crock. The EU is actually very pissed at AstraZeneca for their Microsoft file copy dialog levels of delivery schedule.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...From%20%251%24s

(The vaccine has been approved for over 65s by the EU medical council people)

Edit: have another

https://www.ft.com/content/767fdd85-5329-479d-b565-4ec85d28b492

quote:

After battling with AstraZeneca over shipment delays, and even casting doubt over its Covid-19 jab’s efficacy, EU countries are seeing stocks of the company’s shots pile in — unused.

As of Friday, France had administered 7 per cent of the 2.5m doses of the two-injection vaccine it received since the first delivery in early February, according to health ministry data compiled by Covidtracker.fr. As of Thursday, Germany had given a little over one-fifth of the 1.45 million doses, about the same proportion as Italy, which has received over 1m doses. Spain has used just under a third of a total of 808,000 doses as of Friday.

The situation has prompted several European leaders to talk up the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine in recent days, with one French health ministry official even calling for a “collective rehabilitation campaign” to improve its reputation.

German chancellor Angela Merkel acknowledged that there was “an acceptance problem with the AstraZeneca vaccine at the moment” that was slowing the jab’s rollout. In an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeine newspaper on Thursday, she urged people to keep an open mind to it: “All the authorities tell us that we can trust this vaccine.”

The tone is a change from only weeks ago when European politicians were engaged in an acrimonious battle with AstraZeneca over its deliveries and when French president Emmanuel Macron suggested the vaccine was “quasi-ineffective” on older individuals. Now that they have doses however, EU governments face a sceptical public, in addition to logistical challenges and restrictions of their own devising.

Dravs has issued a correction as of 11:31 on Feb 27, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Fewer since corona came about, tho that might just have been in Berlin.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

funny how the public just don’t trust anything anymore

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

Cards work just fine here, it's just that everyone has been using debit cards since forever, so other than tourists there's zero reason to add support for credit cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Germans hating credit cards is a good thing.

More people should.